TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: New fan mission: The Skull Of Herzeloyde

twindreamer

New fan mission: The Skull Of Herzeloyde

Well, I finally made it. This is a Thief The Dark Project\Thief Gold fan mission and the first I release. Not much to say about it really. If you want to see some screenshots, go here: http://home.c2i.net/tbekken/thief/

The direct download link is this: http://home.c2i.net/tbekken/herzeloyde.zip

Avalon

Not much to say about it? Not true, not true! I found this to be a very entertaining mission! I could think of many a dozen things to say about it.
    These things include:
    The mission, overall, seems like a very well-done mix between a Bafford-style mission (architecturally speaking), and Bonehoard (speaking of a few places you encounter later on).
    I found very few glitches. A few little nitpicks, and some things that could have done better, but I find this mission to be very enjoyable.
    Two thumbs up.

------------------
    Beware the coming of the machines...
    Check out my Tutorials on creating the Soulforge Machinery, all with working demos included.
    Coming Soon
    The Chaos Cycle, a FM series featuring the Keepers and their struggle with the lasting legacy of Karras...
    The Sanctum
    The Chaos Cycle News

twindreamer

Thank you for your kind words, Avalon.

kfgecko

I amazed that someone with just 38 posts to the forum has created a fan mission... I always thought it took tons of time to sit around here and pick up enough to make your own.

I'm gonna try Skull of Herzablahblah this weekend... looking forward to it...

------------------
    In development: "Embracing the Enemy" progress: 17% |####-+--+--+--!--+--+--+--+--|
    My Thief 1 missions: Bloodstone Prison and The Library

twindreamer

I have been using DromEd for quite some time. And I've read most of the tutorials.

mad god

Cool, now it is in my FM collection.
    Will play it soon...

Sperry

wicked resolution!
    i'll try

Garrettwannabe

Just got started playing this level and it's really fun. I'm a lil stuck after grabbing the skull but, up to that it moves really well - of course something could be right in front of me & I'm missing it...haha. Thanks TwinD for the level - and I'm going back in now

twindreamer

Thank you everybody!

aisha

I'm also stuck after grabbing the skull!
    There has to be something with the statues, can't figure out what. Any hints?
    Also, I'm missing the key to the door on the left in the long outside hallway with the two patrolling guards.

Avalon

On the statue on the left, look up. If you've used Dromed a bit, you may recognize that texture which goes all the way around the top of the room... That should be a sufficient hint, eh?

------------------
    Beware the coming of the machines...
    Check out my Tutorials on creating the Soulforge Machinery, all with working demos included.
    Coming Soon
    The Chaos Cycle, a FM series featuring the Keepers and their struggle with the lasting legacy of Karras...
    The Sanctum
    The Chaos Cycle News

Mazur

The level was very entertaining and had ome nice little touches. Thanks for sharing it.

Don

aisha

Help! I'm stuck again.
    I went into the tombs, but I still can't find the skull. Any hints please?

twindreamer

Warning - spoiler
    Shoot a ropearrow on the wooden construction and climb up.

HunterByNite

Oh my god! What architecture! Classy is an understatement!

Extremely beautiful! Are you an architect in real life?

------------------
    Light Makes the Shadows Come Alive

Beerworm

Very nice job dude, looks and feels exactly like an OM.

Bruny

A practically perfect mission (I'm tempted to write a review for it!). I'd give it 4 silver hammers right up front. It's layed out and decorated as well as Baffords, at the very least. The thing that always screams "FM!" to me is cramped architecture. Too-narrow hallways, small rooms where you have to maneuver awkwardly just to get past the tables and chairs. Herzeloyde had none of that. Everything was roomy, there was not one moment I felt cramped. The texture choices were right on target everywhere. Not once did I see a texture that looked odd or out of place. The architecture never strayed into boxy bunches of cubes connected by rectangular hallways. It was always made with interesting shapes, like the arched hallways. The architecture was interesting without being gaudy and bogged down with unnecessarily minute brush work. Treasure placement was perfect too, again very reminiscent of Bafford, where there was plenty out in the open to find, but just enough hidden in out of the way places (but never ridiculaously unfair places!) to make things interesting. They gave several little "thrills" of discovery, which is a good thing to accomplish when it comes to loot. There was enough variety in a medium-sized mission, from an initial town to mysterious stone cellar levels, to the elegant main house, to the touch of the supernatural.

One of the things that impressed me the most was the authors fluency with Dromed scripting. Some of the scripting was fairly advanced but he wielded it with seeming ease. The scripting supported the story completely without becoming the focus of the mission. I wasn't distracted by a bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles (and inevitable bugs).

The author was intimately familiar with how a good mission is constructed. He knew exactly what to do right, and avoided all of the usual pitfalls a new mission author often falls into. Which makes the only problem with this mission so puzzling: The shadows weren't always implemented well. Garrett would appear to stand in perfect darkness but his light gem would be blazing like nobody's business! Most experienced Dromeders know how to fix this, resorting to negatively-valued light brushes when all else fails.

Now I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to FMs. And there are people here who know that I'd never say something like this if I didn't mean it. But don't you agree this is executed every bit as well as Bafford's and other FMs?

twindreamer

I'm glad you folks like it. I have tried to the best of my ability to make a classical fan mission.

>Extremely beautiful! Are you an architect in real life?

Ah, no.

Nightwalker

I must be a little dense, but even after reading all the posts, I'm still stuck at the statues. Could somebody please tell me exactly what to do? By the way, I've had a lot of fun with it so far.

twindreamer

Warning - spoiler

Read the signs next to the statues. You have to search for something high up, a secret button maybe.

Nightwalker

Thanks, Twindreamer! I can't believe I missed that. Finally, on to the rest of the mission.

kfgecko

I'm also stuck at the statues. I knew I needed to look up, but there's nothing that a rope arrow sticks too! Everything is stone, glass, or stucco. How do you get up? What do you shoot a rope into?

Unbelievable! I was assuming that that tile was just tile....

[This message has been edited by kfgecko (edited July 22, 2000).]

Viper6

C'mon, KFG!

Look up at the statue. At the top of the wall, there's an adornment of white tiles with red circles. Looking at them from the statue, one will lite up. Frob it. Voila'

Have a rope arrow with you when you go through this next door (The one just opened by the red button). Later in the mission, it will be obvious where you need to use it.

You ain't finished yet. Enjoy!

kevinpars

One thing that seems to pop up in every review is a comment that the level either doesn't have enough AI (the streets are almost empty!) or in the case of 'Ranstall's Keep,' "the city is too small." This sort of thing pops up in most reviews of fan missions. The other big complaint about certain FMs is that there are major slowdown or framerate problems.

Well, I know almost nothing about Dromed, but is seems like you can't have it both ways. Either you cut back a little or you end up with framerate problems. The reviewers seem to overlook this - at least in some cases.

I have no doubt that the designer of RK would have liked an Assassins sized city along with the Keep, just as I am sure that LGS would have loved to have filled the streets in Assassins with loads of AI. But there are limitations with the game that can't be avoided.

kfgecko

Yeah... I found the stupid button. Stupid me. ;P

Kevinpars... actually you can have both. Frame rate is not a trade off for "small scale" or "more AIs". It's usually a trade off for architecture complexity or wide open spaces.

BTW, this is totally out of place for this thread. You should start a new one if you want to talk about this.