TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Unforgiven - fixed

Adramelech

Unforgiven - fixed

Right, thanks to Jonquil I've managed to fix unforgiven. It seems I didn't add the Dark Mission Description, which is why it wouldn't load the saved games. Firstly, I've mailed Digital Nightfall about this and have an updated .zip ready to send to t-dp. Downloading this should fix the problem. However, those with DromEd (which should include 99.9% of people on her) can fix the problem very easily. Here's how...

1. Go to Editors:Mission Quest Data
    2. Select Dark Mission Description and click 'OK'
    3. In the first field type '15', and in the second field type 'miss15' (without the quotes).
    4. Create a sub directory in the intrface directory called 'miss15'.
    5. In this sub directory put the files 'goals.str' and 'page001.pcx'.

That's it! As mentioned before, thanks to Jonquil for that, I never knew about the Dark Mission Description until now, can't ever remember reading it in any tutorials.
    Anyway, now it's fixed and everyone's playing it because they love it so much could I have some comments on the actual level itself (other than not being able to save, natch, or it needs grid snapping).

------------------
    Yours Splendidly,

J Kay.

THIEFJUNKIE

Why I may never put out a level, despite my attempts at understanding Dromed (well, at least I'm having fun....haha): I am just too stupid.

I don't understand these directions. First, isn't Dark Mission Description in Mission Parameters not Mission Quest Data? Well, that's where I made the "15" etc. additions. But then what? Save the mission with the changes? (So I would assume but you don't say.) But what miss15.mis am I correcting? There's one I found in my thief folder, perhaps from my previous attempt to save an unforgiven mission (?) I changed that, but then, it did nothing for the game, which, frankly I expected, because I thought good old thiefloader would use the miss15.mis in the zip file when I chose it. How do I correct THAT mis? Or shouldn't I? I can extract it from the zip file and make your changes, but then what? Rezip it? And I did try (and failed, which I expected) to load the unforgiven zip file into dromed, thinking perhaps I could access the mis file that way, but no. I get a loading gamesys at the bottom of Dromed, but it never loads. It takes about 20 seconds to load a mis file.

For your mission,I guess I'll wait for the fixed, playable version. I am trying to understand the simple things like this, hoping I can build to the more complicated programming functions from here. But....LMAO I must say if your instructions are really as simple as "That's it!" perhaps I should stick with playing missions, not creating one.

------------------
    This is my opinion. It doesn't affect you, your ancestry,
    your friends, family or DNA code. You are
    welcome to your opinion. May it cheer and gladden you. And
    let us all be warm and fuzzy and unidirectional
    in our thought patterns. Heavens, we don't want negative
    opinions. Nope. And you be sure to have a nice day now.

Apache

Adramelech I'm sorry if I offended you with my post. It wasn't meant to be mean. I was just posting some things I found so that someone might see why it wasn't saving. "Let the Builder of bug-free FM cast the first stone. And that for sure is not me..." So again I apologize for any harshness the was read thru my post.

------------------
    Live in the Shadows..Work in the Shadows..Die in the Shadows...
    Thief-The Light Projectif that one isn't working use this.
    Thief-The Light Project

Tels

When you update the mission in your Theif-dir, it will be overwritten the next time you select another FM and then go back to unforgiven (since TL will simple unpack the unmodified version from the ZIP).

if you , however, modify the version in the ZIP, make sue to select another FM, load it via TL, then re-select unforgiven and load that. Otherwise TL wont refresh your modified copy from the zip and replace the unmodified in your thief dir.

Or just update both.

DromEd cant load zip files, you have to unzip the mission before loading it.

Adramelech

ThiefJunkie, it's dead simple, honestly. Let me have another go at explaining...

1. OK, let's check the state of your Thief dir(ectory). The game is patched to v. 1.33, yah? You also need a copy of DromEd (unzip it to the Thief dir) and ThiefLoader (also unzip this to the Thief dir) would be helpful.

2. Install Unforgiven using ThiefLoader or unzip to your Thief dir so it's ready to play.

3. Start up DromEd and open miss15.mis (located in the Thief directory, this should be the Unforgiven level).

4. In DromEd goto Editors:Mission Paramaters ark Mission Description. (Ok, I know I said mission quest data I was recalling from memory).

5. Set the top box to '15' and the second to 'miss15'.

6. Save the mission and exit DromEd.

7. Now we need to do some moving, create a sub-dir in the intrface dir called 'miss15' in this dir put 'goals.str' and 'page001.pcx'.

The mission should now be able to load saved games (including quick saves). If you want to play another fan mission then you'll have to save all the changes you made to the unforgiven.zip in your thief\missions dir. You can do this one of two ways...

1. Using a zip manager (eg Winzip) replace the 'miss15.mis' file with the new, patched 'miss15.mis' you just created. You must also change the paths for the files 'goals.str' and 'page001.pcx' in the zip to intrface\miss15 instead of just 'intrface'. How to do this depends on what zip manager you use. check out the help files.

2. An alternative is just to install ThiefMissionZipper (from t-dp) and let it create a new mission .zip file. Replace the old Unforgiven.zip with the one this creates.

Phew. That's the longest post I've ever written. I think I need a lie down.

Apache, don't worry about it. All I want you to do is tell everyone how wonderful you think Unforgiven is. Now can someone *please* gimme some feedback on the actual gameplay? Please?

------------------
    Yours Splendidly,

J Kay.

THIEFJUNKIE

Maybe something was the matter with my old thiefloader. I downloaded 1.2 again, went through the directions, and this time worked like a charm. Thanks.

I'm not quite finished with the level, a few loot short of 1400 and haven't got the sword. I enjoyed it very much. The new conversations were especially nice (I wanted even more). The architecture was very good, I particularly liked your design of the gallows. It is easily replayable as there is more than one way to skin your cat.

A few small points and perhaps a spoiler warning):

The two scrolls in the small upstairs library? I could pick them up but not read them. The same with the book nearby; I could highlight it but not read it. If there were clues on them I didn't get them.

A few doors had no sound (i.e. the door across from the main gate) so I didn't know if I could affect them.

For BOTH men in the dark alleys between buildings, I simply turned the corner and damn near ran into them. They didn't react. I just took out my blackjack and wham.

And a personal preference - too much music everywhere. In fact, it obscured two conversations, which I had to replay.

I emphasize these are small points. I will play the level again. Bravo.

------------------
    This is my opinion. It doesn't affect you, your ancestry,
    your friends, family or DNA code. You are
    welcome to your opinion. May it cheer and gladden you. And
    let us all be warm and fuzzy and unidirectional
    in our thought patterns. Heavens, we don't want negative
    opinions. Nope. And you be sure to have a nice day now.

Pope

just wanted to say i thought the music absolutely rocked..

also, i played it thru w/out saving, which actually enchanced the experience..