TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New T2 Mission : Willow Island

Gonchong

New T2 Mission : Willow Island

W I L L O W * I S L A N D

PROLOGUE:
    You've got cabin fever. You're hungry. You've had nothing to eat for seven days but a few stale ships biscuits. Seven days spent stowed away in a cramped, mildewy cargo hold of the Hammer Order registered vessel 'Hammerhead', crossing the ocean to Willow Island.

This is a TEG release, but it should hopefully be complete and bugfree.

THE MISSION IS OFF-LINE AT THE MINUTE FOR FINAL TWEAKS. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR CHECKING IT OUT!

It's back on now, updated! http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gonchong/thief.html

------------------
    Gonchong
    Creator of Willow Island, Hammerhead, Shunned & The Docks.

[This message has been edited by Gonchong (edited October 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gonchong (edited October 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gonchong (edited October 05, 2000).]

kfgecko

2 words: Woo hoo!!

TLuk

having been waiting for this for long time. Thnx!

DownLoading...really been looking forward to this one!!

Dave

Sarik

Sarik things for a while, of the year (or something) he waited for this mission.
    It felt like a lifetime.

Downloading now . . . YYYYAAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Mazur

Wow, i just checked the screen shots on your site last night and wondered when this would be ready. DL'ing now, can't wait =)

Don
    [the only guy in this forum who doesnt know how to attach the nice smily faces]

Phsychosis

hey, another NTLWorlder
    hope the download fits into my 2 hour allotment

Garrettwannabe

What a awesome FM Gonchong! This is a must download people with many modifications (die lil froggie..haha & let's cruise....that was too cool, dude) and some beautiful texturing and design and colored lighting.

Don't wanna say too much since it's just hit the streets - just that it's a great piece of work sir & thx for another cool level.

P.S. At 3.8 megs zipped, I thought it wasn't gonna be too large...man, was I wrong on that - did you like "super-optimize" it or what?

Despot

Slight nitpick *spoilers*:
    I lured the little pagan girl that was imprisoned in the Hammerite compound out to the start area...later on, I was exploring the same area, and came across the pagan girl practicing Kung Fu attacks on the rat that was roaming about. Pretty funny, but a little un-immersive.

------------------
    Eschew obfuscation.

Gonchong

Thanks all. It's good to know the last 6 months hasn't been wasted

Bear in mind this is a TEG pre-release, so I'm doing one more debug run.

The girl is a pain because of the AI team system. Just don't lure her back to her family that's all i can say....

SilentSleep

This is bloody brilliant. It's all so well thought out. Granted, I've only played right through on Normal so far, but I'm itching to get back and try out expert. Cool secrets too. I fund the last one a little too late though.

------------------
    /~sleepy/thief

Pope

of course the level absolutely kicks ass gonchong.. probably the best use of un-blackjackable guards in any level. great secrets too.
    but i have just one question: what was your intention with the pagan girl?

i figured you'd probably spent some time on her AI, and i had obvious ideas about where i should be taking her, but nothing whatsoever happened when we got there.

Gonchong

She was a last minute addition, actually. Just for a novelty/distraction/hinderance. I had ideas about involving her more, but i had to wrap the mission up, with T2X breathing down my neck

kfgecko

I'm not disappointed! Woohoo! Gonchong, you made me late for work! (Well, Willow Island id....) I went straight for Expert... glad I did...

I love the "acts", it emphasized the story of the level and gave me a sense of confirmed progression.

Willow made me realize just how romantic characters the Hammers are, and how much I like them. I love all the little humor injects all over the place: the hammer fighting manuals, the dos and don'ts of warhammers, etc. I can't even name them all but it was great! Even the little sign "please refrain from taking this short cut"... heh. You really build upon the Hammers with the humor. Love it love it love it.

I've only started Act III....

Nice architecture. I like how you mixed textures with the metal beams and stuff. I'm happy my computer is 500MHz cuz the pagan area looks like Shunned's back yard. The gameplay is great with nice shadows here and there (although for some reason black gem areas seem quite lit).

Although so far it's been sort of a breeze for this seasoned player, but I think it's perfect. Some how I tripped the alarm so I had to flash the dorm guy out so I could reset the alarm. I'm having FUN and I'm having to be careful to succeed.

It's giving me motivation to finish my mission... which I'm losing interest in finishing. (I've already started lots of cutbacks.)

Another thumbs up... when I finish Willow, I'm sure it'll get my stamp of approval. This one flows like Edmunds or Benny's Dead.

------------------
    In development: "Embracing the Enemy" progress: 68% |#########!###+-+-+-|
    My Thief 1 missions: Bloodstone Prison (rate it!) and The Library (rate it!)

"And dost the blackjack say to the knoggin, 'be still, for I shall bonk you?'
    Nay! 'Tis the allies of darkness and surprise that belet club meet skull for glorious bonkitude."

- Tennents of the Master Bonker

the_grip

This is one of the best FMs i've played in a while! i loved the attention to detail and the obvious time and care that went into every area.

The only criticism i have is that the atmosphere was a little too surreal... maybe making the pagan area more of a forest instead of a carved-path kind of feel could alleviate this. It seemed kinda hammer-pagan-mechanist all squeezed together in a sense, if that is clear at all.

Anyways, i really loved playing it. Better than any FM i've played in a few months IMHO.

------------------
    "You call him Dr. Grip, doll!"

Sarik

I loved it. And I'll love it more if you tell me how to get those mine carts to move like that!

I got caught in a safe though and had to restart.

I can say that I rally hated mechanist levels till now. You place everything perfectly . . . The amount of detail (Like all the pipes and smoke coming out of them) is perfect ('Cause I hate missions that totally forget about detail)

And the helmet guy who you can't blackjack. Nice idea, glad he wasn't a servant (Servant's SCARE me . . . Human projects SCARE me . . . and cloning scares me too)
    But the mine-ride so far has been my favorite detail Congradulations!

Phantom

I'm getting a 404, what's the deal?

------------------
    Phantom

Phantom

Sorry, didn't see the new topic Gonchong!

------------------
    Phantom

xarax

Originally posted by Phantom:
    I'm getting a 404, what's the deal?

Here is the deal.

------------------
    ...and this time, I mean it!

Go ahead, make my day! Click here! ==> Visit my DromEd junkyard!

Myoldnamebroke

Hurrah! Praise the Builder! The sequel to the best FM ever. D/L now...

WillieSutton

** PLEASE NOTE: The following post discusses elements of the mission that some people may want to experience first-hand. Spoiler-type deal, here. I won't give away puzzles or anything like that, but still. **

Gonchong,

Hats off to you! That was a fun, thief-y mission. I was really impressed with the little AI girl in the cell; as a matter of fact, I DID attempt to return her to her "family." With, as you might expect, an immediate alt-L when I saw the results.

The train ride was very cool. Although I think it should maybe be a bit slower. Give me a chance to say, "Cool! I'm riding a mine car!" before the ride's over. This is the first time I've seen a vehicle in a fan mission, although I've heard it's been done before.

Since you are a perfectionist, I thought I'd bring this to your attention: It's quite easy to get "backstage" in multiple areas of the mission.

-- In the outdoor freight area at the Hammerite temple, by mantling up the surrounding rock faces.

-- At the home of Garrett's friend, where the note & key are hung on the gate. (I think this is a one-way trip, although I didn't try very hard to get back out).

-- On the roof of the Mech installation, by mantling the wall. (Like the outdoor freight area at the Hammerite's temple, all that happens is that you get those video-giggies in which Skyhack attempts to render the sky below the horizon.)

-- The "automated rail-car" area at the Mechanist's. Moving quickly, I actually made it to the un-room-brushed area before the cart pulverized me against the wall. (Very obvious one-way trip.)

That's nit-picking (Since I really LIKE getting backstage in Thief missions). I really liked the subdued musical riff between "acts," and the inclusion of the on-screen subtitles.

One thing you're really, really good at is creating interesting back-stories; the notes, journal entries, postings, et al, were really well-written, and I was laughing my ass off at the Hammerite directives for proper and improper Hammer uses. This was really funny, and really well-done.

Also: I would love to hear how to import System Shock II objects into D2. Can those red assassin-type ninja guys operate in Thief II? Reskinned, they'd be a really creepy addition to a mansion-crawl, I think. I'd already seen that SSII camera in the crate at the Hammerites, and when I read that one of the brother's brains was being kept alive artificially, I half-expected to see that sort of brain-y looking organ specimen from System Shock. Noticed also the SSII labels on the crates; and a few other objects I didn't really recognize right off the bat. Cool, cool stuff.

Really dug the "mnemonic device" puzzle w/r/t the combination lock @ the Mechanist's.

But: Am I missing something? There was a reference to escaped test-subjects in the Mech labs, and I was hoping for some kind of creature-encounter. I thought I explored the level pretty thoroughly, but I didn't come across anything alarming.

All-in-all, one of the more fun fan-missions I've played. Excellent work.

Chris

kfgecko

Still not done... I keep having RL stuff to deal with.

Anyways, I.... SPOILER

Finally opened the mechanical locks (after reading that I apparently have an evil Mechanist alter-ego ). I had fun with big blue mumble boy by tossing my mine (can't use it on humans...) into his path and screwing with the door code to close it. Then waaaaaiiitt.... "the Builder pl.." KABLAMMMM!!! "...tttthhhhiiinnggss to understand.... creaaaaassshhhuuuunnn." Heh.

I got to see the floating thingy before I had to get off the computer... aaaaah!! Will I ever get to finish?

kfgecko

I didn't realize how close to the end I was. I finished it! Nice mission Gonchong! You continue to create great stuff. Getting the main Mech treasure was almost half-life-ish... which is good. It was fun. The next trial will be full sneaker... which I think is possible.

- nice multiple paths
    - good realistic layouts and patrols
    - fitting story, nice development
    - very nice, functional-detailed architecture.
    - as always, clean and polished design

I especially liked:
    - the vault lock with suspension
    - the mine cart rides (felt like the half-life mine car rides sorts); awesome touches with the background mine cars moving on their own
    - the story contrast of hammers and mechanists on different parts of the island (built nice anticipation in player)
    - the differing styles of areas

I hope you can do the third installment!

[This message has been edited by kfgecko (edited October 10, 2000).]

Gonchong

Thanks for your positive feedback!

spoilers?...........

I'm glad no-one seems to have fell into the safe in release 1.01

This was caused by a weird thief bug - the bounding box of the safe disapeared after the release trap was used twice. So the people who fell in were the ones who played with the 'trigger' I fixed it by putting a solid marker on top of the safe.

I've also bitten the bullet and made the girl team:neutral. Less headaches that way (stops the mechanists jumping at shadows before you've even got that far)

------------------
    Gonchong
    Creator of Willow Island, Hammerhead, Shunned & The Docks.

http://www.gonchong.freeserve.co.uk/thief.html

kfgecko

I had to send my last post before it was done or lose it... I've since edited it a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast