TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: New Mission - The Careless Hand

pbucko

New Mission - The Careless Hand

Here is my first mission, it took 5 months on and off, but is finally complete (I hope!). http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/pbuck/thief

Bucko

Viper6

Great mission!

Viper6

OK, I'm stuck. Playing on Hard. Found the sewer entrance. Up the left tunnel, Ramirez had his lackeys waiting for me. Whacked lackeys & got some goodies. The left tunnel has a little night swimming challenge...find the other end, in the dark. Well, even with the extra air breathing potion, I can't find the other end. I swim East to the end, then North to the end, poke around trying to find an up & out; but I just keep drowning. Anyone solved this?

pbucko

Half way up the well there is an entrance to another tunnel. When on ground at the bottom just mantle up into this tunnel, you should see a light at the end.

The drowning bit is a deliberate distraction.
    http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/pbuck/thief

xarax

Am I missing something, or are there at least 2 deadfall traps with no warnings?

------------------
    Go ahead, make my day! Click here! ==> Visit my DromEd junkyard!

Viper6

Well, Mr. Pbucko, this is turning into one helluva mission. For a first attempt, you're up there with KFgecko, Totality, and Banshee in difficulty, complexity, and few if any bugs. Not as diabolical as Mad God though.

Thanks for the tip on the other tunnel entrance. Found it and got moving again. Got the talisman of fire back. (Never leave your rope arrow behind, eh?) Found your deadfall trap on the middle sewer level. There's another one?

I'm back visiting the Burricks again, hopefully on my way to West City...hopefully.

Any more tips?

pbucko

Viper6,

Man you rock!

Hope yoyu found the way

After that, its spooky, bit its easy.

Cheers!!!!

Rock on!

pbucko

Xarax,

What is wrong with not warning you.

Dont you think it is more of a SUPRISE!!!!

When you fall 50ft to you death,
    obviously as long as you saved your last position!

Rock on!

Viper6

Well, I'm stuck again. Got the Fire Talisman, found Fino or Pino in the sewer and got West side key. Other ground floor tunnel off burric area is a trap. Door won't open, ladders up lead to sewer lid that won't open, and when I try to get back out, I can't get back into the tunnel.

I've resorted to trying to look the system over using your wireframes in DromEd. There's a lot of shit underground that I haven't seen yet, but I can't figure out how to get to it. Do I have to go back to the surface and find another entrance. Stack up crates to climb walls? How about a few spoilers please.

xarax

Originally posted by pbucko:
    Xarax,

What is wrong with not warning you.

Dont you think it is more of a SUPRISE!!!!

When you fall 50ft to you death,
    obviously as long as you saved your last position!

Rock on!
    There are a few cardinal rules in game design. One of them is never kill the player without warning. So, I'm simply asking whether the design is supposed to be like that or did I miss the warnings?

------------------
    Go ahead, make my day! Click here! ==> Visit my DromEd junkyard!

Doppelgänger

Let's say you are sneaking into a manor...you have to find a secret door. Okay being as simple as that you walk around to the back of the house, and LOOK! there is a switch hidden behind that stack of crates.... it must open the secret door!

KABOOM!!!

Oops! Wrong switch! That was the switch that detonates the huge stack of mines no one told me about!!

------------------
    °...::oppelgänger:::...° ……±º Thief 2 Underground
    'I Am The Evil Inside You' ……±º Release me...if you dare.

Tels

Should I add it to my Voting Site?

------------------
    "Why do you go so slowly? Do you think this is some kind of game?"
    Demo missions, DromED FAQ,
    Automaticly create Thief Levels,
    Vote! for your favorite fan mission

Viper6

Tels, I'd add this one. It's tough. It's not even available from T-TDP yet; only a link from here.

Lady Whitman, which is on the T-TDP site, is pretty good too. You might want to add it as well. Actually, there are a few new FM's that have been recently become available that should be added.

Viper6

Well, finally figured out how to get to the West City. Analyzed your wire frame drawings in DromEd. From where the Fire Talisman was recovered, tunnels lead off in four directions. Initially thought they all led back to the same place. They don't. The Southwest tunnel leads to the large verticle shaft with ladders on both sides that I'd seen in the drawing, but hadn't seen in the mission yet. Bingo! Haven't finished the mission yet, but I'm rolling again.

Viper6

I must be the only one playing FM's these days while everyone else is playing Thief 2, or the only one out here that "Doesn't get it". This mission is about as convoluted as Bloodstone, and this thread isn't 40 - 50 posts long yet. Dummy6 here is stuck in the mud again. How do I reach the West City?

Tim Ewers

No viper im stuck as well ive been all thru the sewers and cant get to the west side either. Like you there are a couple of manhole covers that cant be opened and one you cant get too and i havent been able to find a way to the west side as well. i think he forgot to frob a manhole cover or something, As im beging to think there is no way to the west side.

Viper6

This mission was made for spelunking, not rooftop exploring. Made it to the West City alright, finally, but the North City is where I need to go to finish the mission. Piled all the crates I could find up to go over the wall. Wonderful view of the stars, but that was it. The other side of the portcullis where the city should be...isn't. At least not when viewed from the top of the wall.

There's a piece of floor missing from the north engineers room, and I can't get to the door, behind which should be a ladder on the other side. According to the wireframes, there's a piece of the cave system just above the north engineers room that I haven't figured out how to get to yet. And, there's a wall switch on the wall of the north engineers room that does something, but what?

Anyone figured out how to get to the "West City" and finish the mission?

Pope

there's a wood beam above that gap in the floor. use a rope arrow to get across to the door and the rest is easy.

Viper6

You're right! There it was! (Glad it didn't fall on my head.) "Plonk!" Finished the mission. Thanks.

When you folks come down from Thief 2, you're going to have a lot of fun with this one. About drove me nuts! Watch out for T2 FM's from PBucko.

Nice job!
    V6