TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: T:TDP fm - The Thieves Quarter

Rugball

T:TDP fm - The Thieves Quarter

Welcome to The Thieves Quarter. Finally ---Rugball

You can access these files from any Web browser by clicking on the following link:
    http://www.driveway.com/share?sid=7c...Mission&view=0

You must supply this password: thief

I've uploaded the new version this morning. For those that have tried the earlier versions, thank you for your encouragement and help.

I had a feeling the clue about the key was too subtle. Not sure what I can do but include a FAQ about the mission and answer e-mails/posts about it. That's not a problem for me but I didn't want to spoil everyone's fun by making them have to stop to read the walkthrough just to complete one objective. I'll work on sending a walkthrough to The Circle.com along with the mission.

It's a relatively small map but there are all new surprises to add to the fun and atmosphere. Even if you've tried it before, watch out!

Special thanks to von.Eins for providing the German translation

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Rugball (edited September 11, 2000).]

twindreamer

Downloading right away Rugball. I also got to have a look at the latest beta and so far I can only say: Great mission, great gameplay, great atmosphere.

What are you other taffers waiting for? You sure wanna play this mission.

Nightwalker

Rugball, I downloaded the new version to try on expert, but I'm having a problem I never experienced on the Beta version you had out. When I goof up and go to load a save, I get booted out to the darkloader screen. When I hit play, and load my save it works, but the next time I want to re-load it does it again. I'll keep playing, but it gets a little frustrating. As I said, I'm using Darkloader ,with Thief Gold, but that's the same thing I used for the Beta. Just thought you'd like to know about it. By the way, are some of the guards extra-sensitive or something? There is one sleeping in a room with a sword on a table, and even with moss on the floor, I can't get a step past the doorway before he's wide awake and after me, and he runs like a jackrabbit!

Rugball

This happened to me to using Thiefloader. I cleaned up all of the old saves and extra files and rebooted the machine. Worked fine after that. You'll see the directories for intrface, books, strings, plus the miss21.mis file in your ThiefG directory. I think the saves are in the missions folder.

The game itself seems pretty stable, ie - it doesn't dump you out to Windows randomly. I suspect it's the loader program but I don't know much about them. You can try renaming the zip file and loading it again. Also make sure you've optimized for Thief Gold when you installed Darkloader. I'm reaching here ...

Let me know if the problem persists. I have not used Darkloader but I do have Thief Gold so I could test it out.

Sleeping guards are tricky. It is possible to blackjack him if you're quick.

Rugball

Stop the presses! I should have been suspicious before about this. In the store when you purchase a fire arrow I noticed that there was no count on that item. As it turns out if you buy this you have unlimited fire arrows and can turn my mission into Quake . I added a stack count to the arrow and will put up a new (fixed) version in the morning. I'll re-open the download site when I get the new version up.

As for the problem with Darkloader, I tried it with Thief Gold and had the problem about half the time. Only if I get killed and try to load. If you load a saved game either using the quickload F12 or loading a saved slot it worked fine. Seems like this was less of a problem with Thiefloader. I was using it with T-TDP rather than Thief Gold though.

Any ideas on that?

Metalhead

Just for the record, these dump-to-windows crashes (I've gotten them too doing that post mortem reload lol) in this FM and Prodigal Corpse are NOT related to the loaders... I've been in the habit for a while of killing the loader window once Theif or T2 starts loading to free up resources, and then with these crashes I get dumped back to windows even if the loader isn't running

------------------
    "Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from the... *thump* Oof! Gag!"
    See my amazingly incredibly uneNviable homepage with some screenshots from various projects!
    http://home.att.net/~mrmetalman/

Rugball

The mission is fixed and can be accessed again using the same link and password above.

I thought I had fixed the entrance to the cemetery but after another check it's all wrong. I'm posting a fixed version this morning. As for the sleeping guard I had an idea so I put that in too. In my own testing I never purchased a fire arrow so I didn't catch the problem. Other people used them so I tried it and noticed I had an unlimited supply. It is amusing but dangerous since I shot a guard that was running at me but was too close so I got killed. He fell over dead too before the screen went black so it was rather poetic. Sort of a Butch Cassidy moment .

I am really stumped about the dump-to-Windows problem. I have no idea if it's a Direct 3D problem or what. Metalhead cleared that up a bit but I still don't know what I can do. Not sure if messing with the video options would make any difference. I tested it with Thief Gold last night and the problem was pretty bad. It was very rare for T-TDP. There was some mention on The Circle for playing fan missions of needing to have Thief Gold on FULL install for it to work right. I don't recall if I did a full install or not so I'll reinstall TG and see.

Maybe I can load the mission in Thief Gold DromEd and save it as a Thief Gold version .

[This message has been edited by Rugball (edited September 12, 2000).]

Metalhead

Well I have TG on full install so that can't be the problem. If I were you I'd consider myself lucky it's not as bad as Prodigal Corpse & not worry too much about it LOL. It's more an annoyance than a real problem, consider it encouragement to play well enough not to quickload after dying :P

PS: I hate to admit it but I'm stuck already
    SPOILERS AHEAD!!
    Ok I've been all thru the Hammer building & hanted cathedral on Expert. I found the dude's skull, the hidden room with the locked chest, & got the key off ramirez... What now? I can't find a key to the chest & assuming that's where the talisman is i'm lost?

------------------
    "Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from the... *thump* Oof! Gag!"

[This message has been edited by Metalhead (edited September 12, 2000).]

Nightwalker

I had the same problem. Rugball had to e-mail me the answer. I hope it's alright to post it here.
    SPOILER AHEAD!
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

You have to find a old hammer laying either on the floor of the hidden room, or on harder difficulties, it could be someplace else and you have to search for it. Go downstairs to the hallway with a statue holding a hammer at the far end of it. Use the old hammer to break the statue. Have fun.

[This message has been edited by Nightwalker (edited September 12, 2000).]

Rugball

Spoilers! That's okay , too many people were getting stuck there. As for the cemetery entrance make sure you have the latest version posted this morning or you can't get to the talisman of fire . Further up I mentioned that the entrance becomes open but it should be on expert only. I fixed it once but somehow it got turned around again. Need sleep. Check the map and you'll see a window adjacent to the crypts that leads outside. Bash the planks covering the window and leap out there at your own risk. The talisman is out there somewhere along with a little loot.

[This message has been edited by Rugball (edited September 12, 2000).]

Rugball

First off, let me thank everyone that provided feedback on my mission and the technical help provided by the forum .

Any changes folks would like to see? Any bugs or issues other than below?

Known issues:
    1- Problems loading saved games after player death using Thief Gold. User is dumped to windows instead. Loading works under other circumstances or using Thief:TDP.

2- Some guards (ones with helmets - conguard model) do not respond to blackjack damage if they are not aware of the player. They can be blackjacked if stunned with a flashbomb first.

3- It is possible for the player to become stuck in two areas if they don't have a rope arrow or they miss the wooden beam with the arrow.

Let me point out something that is not a bug but could be mistaken for one. Guards will not chase you into the haunted church and the baddies in the church won't chase you outside. This was done to avoid a 'creature clash' and there's a scroll that mentions the guards being afraid of the church so I think it fits the storyline better.

xarax

How do you prevent AI from entering/leaving certain areas?

------------------
    ...and this time, I mean it!

Go ahead, make my day! Click here! ==> Visit my DromEd junkyard!

Rugball

How do you prevent AI from entering/leaving certain areas?
    You'll laugh. Ready? I placed a wall (solid brush) in front of the church and portalised. Built the pathfinding database. Deleted the wall and portalised again. Relit the level. Now the AI think they can't cross the boundary going into/out of the church.

DeepQantas

And guess what's even more fun...

You can make a brush in... let's say... above a swimming pool. Pathfind and report... And guess what! You'll have the Jesus-effect for those holy guards (maybe hammerite mages... hmm...)

------------------
    Truth is for those, who cannot read the lies.
    The lies are for those, who cannot bear the truth.
    This is why I tread the path of shadows.

Rugball

Do me a favor since it's my birthday .

Play my mission . I think it's pretty cool . Comments are still welcome.

Nightwalker

Happy Birthday, Rugball! And play his mission. It's good, especially if you like undead.

DeepQantas

Oooo...

I played the level and now I wish you were never born! Damn it's scary!!!!

I was in the cathedral, and very soon I found out that I only had 3 shields left... 'Well, I ain't gonna lose the rest', I said and ventured forth to my doom.

I'll start over in just a couple of days.

------------------
    Truth is for those, who cannot read the lies.
    The lies are for those, who cannot bear the truth.
    This is why I tread the path of shadows.

Rugball

Keeping the mission alive while I reformat my machine. I bought Windows ME but I ran into some glitches with my system.

Stay tuned ...........