TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Night in the Pub Feb. 27/02

Thiefmissions.com

A Night in the Pub Feb. 27/02

A new mission was sent to me last night; I haven't even had a chance to play it. It's A Night at the Pub by Oskar "Hrothgar" Schwermer. In German and English, though the author says that English hasn't been well tested.

Download from thiefmissions.com or The Circle .
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 8th Mar 2008 at 14:38.
    - J<

Yeah, the only things I didn't check were the original voices which are not
    in in the German version of thief 2 as
    well as some words in the menus.

But it should run fine, if not, let me know.

oskar.schwermer@nexgo.de

Has anybody played it yet? Does it work fine?

Yes,it was a fine little mission and it worked
    pretty well too.A few minor bugs,but nothing
    serious.Thanks!

I have the bow upgrade
    I must be blind. I cannot see what that key unlocks.

I included a hint file, it's in there.
    Spoiler:

spoiler:
    Think about the book in the pub. Look for a big tree

I have the bow upgrade
    Thanks, hrothgar.

Wow! What a neat little, and tough little mission! Not enough ordnance for a hostage rescue approach. Gotta be sneaky, douse the lights, and get 'em from behind. Conserve ordnanace and health points, use bj a lot to keep it quiet, sword on other baddies.

The 3 haunts in the chapel were particularly tough. Climbed up my one vine just to watch 'em awhile and figure out their patrol movements. Couldn't take one out without being spotted by the other two. Had to use some old Taffer techniques to single these dudes out. (AI's can't swim, climb ropes, or climb ladders).

Anyway, finished on Hard, nothing standing or crawling (and a full belly) when mission ended. No brass, no ammo, and one health point left. Could only find 1040 loot.

Anybody finish this one on Expert (don't kill any humans)?

Yes, Ive done it on expert. It was tough, and I was able to avoid those three haunts. I stayed in the shadows
    spoiler:
    and I snuck past one haunt to get to pull on the lever to open the gate. And waited for the other haunt to return to his original area then proceeded towards safety.
    This was different. Without fire arrows and sword but still manage to accomplish the ojectives. Great little mission. Thanks

As long as you stay in the shadows i
    think it shouldn't be too hard to get rid
    of enemies without killing them.'
    But maybe I just know the level too
    well

A night at the pub!

For a first FM, congrats! I just completed it and it gave me 30 minutes of taffin' fun! I really liked the
    spoiler:
    cathedral
    at the end!

Thanks, glad you liked it
    The thieves, the thieves, the filthy little thieves, they stole it from us... the precious...it's ours it is and we want it!

Bell tower help, please...

I am in the chapel and need to get to the bell tower to activate the barrier but the gate that prevents me from taking the elevator does not appear to be frobbable. It doesn't even highlight. I have flipped the switch in the main chapel (although at this point I'm still not sure what it does.) I have tried everything I know to do. I've climbed the vine arrow then jumped to the ledge under the bell tower window but the jump from there is too far and impossible. I've climbed the vine arrow then the beam itself, inched down the edge of the wall and the jump from there is too far also. I am out of ideas and my brain is beginning to frazzle. Could some merciful soul shed some light on this dilemma? Thanks.

*C*
    If you're going to laugh about it later, you might as well laugh about it now.

OK. The vine arrow originally is just ment to be an escape route from the zombie that
    appears at the graveyards door. Switching the lever close to the altar should really be it!
    Maybe you switched it twice??? This lever at the altar opens the door to the belltower, I set it to be non-frobbable

If this is a bug, let me know.

-hrothgar

PS: I don't get rid of the impression that this mission is a bit beasty on a couple of you taffers around here. The point is: sneak, move slowly, it's actually pretty easy.
    Okay if you're on expert then you got to be very sneaky, cause you'll have to get the loot
    in the pub.
    Last edited by hrothgar; 5th Apr 2002 at 22:11.

Thanks

Thanks, Hrothgar. I shall try it this morning. I don't remember pulling the lever twice. It was hard enough to move it once so I think I would have remembered twice. But I will return to a previously saved game and do it again. BTW, I am playing on Expert so I'll let you know if I resume an earlier game and it still doesn't trigger the bell tower door. And I have enjoyed this mission. You are correct. It IS sneaky and I love that! You really have to think, plan, and move slowly and steadily to accomplish what you want. Thanks again. I will report back when all is complete.

*C*
    If you're going to laugh about it later, you might as well laugh about it now.

Getting dismayed with Night at the Pub...

OK, first of all...when I get to the Church/Chapel...I'm hiding behind the unopenable door, crouched and Haunt comes by on patrol and starts attacking me through the door...now tell me, how can he possibly know I'm there? Second, I go to the grave site, go in and up springs a Zombie out of nowhere...I die of course and on second try, figured out the way to get goodie without going inside so he's then inside gate...but then I started playing around a bit to see if I could get him and Haunt to fight one another...nope, didn't work but then later decided to lure "Z" out with arrow anyway and then managed to sneak up behind him and after a few wacks finally put him to rest.

Alright, here comes my real stickler...how in the blazes am I supposed to deal with three haunts inside? I managed to get in finally and am over by Haunt in the dark with statue (firey eyes are a neat touch) but I cannot attack cause the other two come running and no way can I fight them both. I cannot sneak anywhere cause of lighting and patroling Haunt with lantern...makes it too damn difficult...and I don't have the slightest idea what to do here. I know the Belltower is across the other side but can't see anyway to get to it...especially with Haunt in the corner near alter in the dark just waiting for me to try and get into that passage way that's all nice and lit up at the entry points

Well...I also got the trinkets that I've seen so far...two gold goblets, a vase at the grave...and I now have $990...? Short by 10...I need to review that loot list again and hope I haven't missed something so far? So all in all...I'm about ready to call this one quits...sorry to say but.....it's just a little more than I bargined for. Ta and Good Hunting!

EDIT: Ok I just saw list again...and I see no hammer close to statue...is there another statue somewhere in here where this hammer is to be found?
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 15th May 2002 at 07:25.
    It's not how you win, it's how you play the game! HAVE FUN!

Gone, but never forgotten
    It is the statue (firey eyes are a neat touch) which has the hammer.

I took the vine arrow close to the tomb and I hung up again it beside the statue to go up on the wall.

Once the actuated lever, I took again the vine arrow to put it on the beam above the gate.

Hi Lady Jo

Well I tried giving that hammer a look and it didn't seem to highlight...I was thinking since it's size was large...maybe I could have used it as a distraction to get to the other side or whatever? But since it didn't highlight...didn't think it was frobbable. As to vine arrow...I did not see one near grave site. After I killed the Zombie...I decided to go back inside then to see if I missed anything and even fell inside grave with "z" but it didn't wake up, thank goodness but as I said...I didn't see anything else around. Guess I need to go to my earlier save back outside and then have to try and get inside again Eyahhhh!

Alright, I'll give it another try...but from what I read in archieve...you have to get to some switch near alter...don't see how it's possible with Haunt standing nearby and that area is lit up as well? Ta and Good Hunting!

EDIT again...I just reread your post and you said near tomb...for vine arrow...what/which tome where? Thanks again
    Last edited by The Fire Eater; 15th May 2002 at 07:50.

The vine arrow is on the ground outside, to the right of the open grave. It's very close to the urn that you pick up. You don't have to go out of that graveyard to get into the church. If you look right up above you, there is a piece of wood sticking out. You can use the vine arrow on it and climb up onto the wall. This way you can avoid the zombie. Then you can use the arrow to let yourself down the far side and you'll be right beside the statue with the fire eyes. Leave the vine haning down, kill the haunt that comes down by the statue and go back up the vine to wait for the other haunts to settle down. Then you can take out the other patrolling one when he walks by the end of the statue area and go back up the vine again.

My memory is a bit shaky when it comes to FMs but I think I know this one.

I also found the chapel area very difficult but after a lot of trying I finally figured out a way to get rid of those haunts.

There's an elevator inside the chapel to one side of the main doors. I got the haunts to chase me and ran onto the elevator and quickly hit the up button. Then once I got to the top I sent the elevator back down to crush the haunts below.

You have to be really quick when you run to the elevator and press the button because those haunts are fast. And you may have to do this more than once to get them all.

spoiler:
    In this one, I actually rope-arrowed up to the piece of wood above the graveyard, took the arrow out, climbed along the wall to the front entrance, and rope-arrowed into the downward-slanting beam, and climbed up and got atop the archway. Took out arrow. OK, now save the game, and run down that arch, and jump across to the open window and in. It works! You can get into the tower without having to trigger the lever near the other haunt. Then, just work your way back out to the statue, grab the hammer, and then it's just a matter of getting out.

-Theef

Hi and Thanks much everyone :)

Nightwalker, don't know how I missed seeing that arrow...thought I looked around pretty good but guess I didn't look in the right place or angle OK, I'll reload but at this point think my save is after I killed Zombie...but the ability to arrow up to beam is a "real" lifesaver, LOL I kept looking up around me as well outside all around trying to see if there was a way up but without a vine arrow (at that point) wouldn't have done me any good anyway...

So guess I'll load up in a bit an give it another try...boy he sure made this part difficult...not only the three Haunts...but the puzzle to figure things out...I'll be glad to finish and get on with something more easier...Soulforge on Hard I can't remember but I think I'm playing the patched Hard mode whereas before it was unpatched...wonder how different it will be? I'm just inside near podium in front with the two plaques that tell me where Plan Room and Factory D are located...already ran into a guard up top that I'd never seen before...but he's resting quietly now Tee hee~

Actually, I have some more FM's yet to play too...so thank you all for your tips and tidbits and Good Hunting!

Back again...

OK, I reloaded and zombie that I killed is standing up but frozen, LOL had me wondering at first if he'd come back alive again Anyway, I found the arrow and guess I didn't see it cause of the way it was stuck in the ground and didn't see the shaft sticking out, LOL OK, so I've arrowed up to the wall and I can't see anyway to get arrow into the other side of wood block as the end is shorter than the other side and vine would be too close to the wall for me to get ahold of.....I did screw up my save though after killing zombie cause I used two arrows to test and forgot to reload and would have only needed one...so I've got four arrows left...wonder if I can kill the one near statue to leave me an easier opportunity to grab hammer with arrows?...guess I'm going to have to use my last moss arrow here as well, cause it looks like I'm going to have to drop down before I can try a shot at the wood block and then go to wood beam for the jump attempt into window like theef did maybe? As I remember...vine arrows as well as ropes cannot stick to cement...and that's the only other material around here near statue besides the short ended block. Thanks for anything else you can add to my dilemma Ta and Good Hunting!

Gone, but never forgotten
    spoiler:

I launched the vine arrow of outside.
    I am assembled on the wall.
    By using the key "to lean on the left" I replanted my vine arrow to go down on other side.
    In bottom I took the hammer and at the good time, I actuated the lever and I went up on the wall with the arrow of vine.
    Afterwards, I went on the other wall and I launched the vine arrow on the beam above the gate and from there to the elevator without to have killed Haunt.

I planted the vine arrow on the inside the same way that Lady Jo did and it worked very well. That part is certainly challenging to get through, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast