TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM - Shining Standards Mar. 07/02

T2 FM - Shining Standards Mar. 07/02

For weeks it has been lying dorment...
    Now I have finally decided to let it go...

Yes it is of course a new Fan Mission by me

After hours of wrestling, with the internt and other alike spawns of hell I managed to upload the damned file now hopefully it will stay there, unlike the other which escaped to somewhere unknown (watch your back! )

It took me a while because the file is just over 5MB and most free website things dont allow files bigger than 5MB, ahh!
    So here it is for your playing pleasure:

Shining Standards (Version 1.1) 5.33 MB
    Also available on Cheap Thief Missions, Thief - The Circle & The Keep of Metal and Gold

I refuse to copy and paste the story, just download it instead and read (even though its not great in the first place)
    The damn thing was laying on my hard drive and so I decided that now would be a good time to release it, seeming as FM's are a little slow lately (also so it doesnt constantly clutter up my Thief 2 folder!)

Cheers, and have fun
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 24th Jul 2011 at 14:52.
    The Dark shadows are music to my ears.

Cool Spanker, Dling now,

Angelfire's got a thing about storage sites, it'll dissappear very quickly if you don't throw a little content up, if it does I could probaby transfer it to KOMAG later.

Anglefire have deleted the site

seeing as you are from the uk, check out www.connectfree.net you can get a 200mb website for nothing there.

Schwaa, can I get it! Put it up on your site but only give me the link, then I'll put it up at the Keep for everyone
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Can't get it on that link. The page can't be found. But I want it!Can you check and see if it's still up? Or like Komag says, let him put it up at the Keep for everyone.

I got it from the dark shadows link above. Thank you, spanker! what an excellent mission. The guards are fun! and i love the snow. Having a great night!

Aha, should've checked that one...dlding now...
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Thiefmissions.com

It's up at my site.
    - J<

Okay...
    spoiler:
    The not-secret door in the cathedral downstairs and the door on the first floor I can't even open with the explosive... how do I get by them?

...secrets...secrets...secrets...

spoiler:
    I used the explosive on the secret door in the Cathedral...I think you need to remove the board over it, first. As for the locked door...which one? The one in the manor proper? If it's that one, I think the key for that door is in the Master Bedroom...but don't quote me.

And now, a dilemma or two of my own: there are 13 secrets on expert; I've only found 9. I've found a broken wall leading to a large chamber by swimming around in the sewer -- or whatever that is...I don't want to think about it -- wherein I could clearly see the Horn of Quintus inside...however, I couldn't get in there; I couldn't mantle up through the opening. The question is this: is this a secret? But more importantly, am I supposed to get in there? If not, then I am going to have to give up sleeping to find those other secrets.

Not that I'm complaining, no...I'm enjoying it.

Alright Spanker, give it up!
    Where is the key for the room downstairs (1st floor) that I can't hack open? And how about a list of the secrets, since there's so many? Pretty please?

Outstanding gore, by the way...

What a great mission Spanker!! Top effort!! I've been going through it for the last 3 hours and got to most places but I'm only on about 9 secrets also. I got to agree with bohemian in that a secret list would be very helpful

I love the look of the mansion from the outside and
    spoiler:
    the fire in the cathedral secret is gorgeous!! So too is the splat fest on the walls . BTW what is that thing in there?? I can only see a couple of blue dots. 'Tis dead now thankfully!!

Oh yeah, I can hear a spider in one part of the lobby, is this in one of the secrets??

Pretty cool mission. Now about those secrets....Spanker, you've gotta post a list, I think I have about nine, and I'm going crazy trying to find them.
    spoiler:
    one that I don't think anyone's mentioned is to the right of a door leading to the balcony above the lobby. It will clang if you hit it. Can't for the life of me figure out how to get in there though.

So get your ass back on this board and answer us!

I've been having a great time in this mission, but now i'm stuck. I'm playing on normal and have yet to find the crate of wine that's supposed to be in the storage area of the the bar. I've looked around the bar but can't find a crate of wine, anyone know where it is? Also i've knocked just about everybody out, but i'm short on secrets and loot. I've seen where a few might be, like the ones mentioned above but i also can't find a way to open them. One in particular is a small door near one of the sets of stairs leading from the basement to the ground floor, i've slashed the banner and the is a small niche that looks as if it could hide a lever but there's no lever there, has anyone been able to open it? Also where is this explosive device, and has anyone been able to open the mtal door in the basement that was wooden boards over it?) Lots of questions i know!! But this is a great FM and i would love to finish it!
    Thanks

Dreamer, The small door by the stairs leading from basement to ground floor; You did the right thing by slashing the banner, on expert there is switch in the little recess and this leads to
    spoiler:
    the metal boarded up door in the basement

The explosive device
    spoiler:
    is in a treasure chest very close to the armoury in the basement. You might want to have a good look in the armoury for a 'locked door opening device'

I too can't find the wine crate and there are a few secrets I haven't got yet either, damn fine fm though!!!

Oh yeah, is anybody else having trouble getting thier moss arrows to work??

The wine crate is in the room behind the bar (where the Benny conversation takes place, natch); it looks like an ordinary crate. It's a little different, though. Just keep picking up crates until Garrett grunts like his hernia's acting up...the crate will have a description like "fine wine crate", or some such.

The balcony was mentioned. Standing outside either door leading to the balcony (remember, there's one on each side), listen closely...that hissing sound is a little too sibilant to be a gas lamp, isn't it? Yes, it's a secret...and duplicated, too. I won't give too much away, but listen for spiders on both sides of the balcony. Right next to the doors are curious niches that clang upon being struck. Am I being too esoteric? The switches aren't too far away, somewhere down the hall. Look behind things in the hall.

As for moss arrows...no. They don't work for me. I get by, though. I've also been able to recover broadheads once in a while, which is a happy bug as far as I'm concerned.

I STILL can't get that door open downstairs. I have a bunch of keys, but none works. The door is on the 1st floor, SE corner, close to the stairs leading down to the chapel.

Silver Sorrow, I just about managed to mantle up to get the horn. Have another go coz it took me a few attempts!!

I'm just 2 secrets short now and I reckon to have searched everywhere!!

Also;
    spoiler:
    there is a box or something underneath a chair in an office in the NE of the place
    I couldn't get it to do anything or find any switches near by.

Help is now definitely required!!!!

I'm about to give that wall in the sewers another try...I think I even tried a combination of kicking off from the bottom of the water with a simultaneous swig of slowfall potion...it didn't work, of course. I dunno...I was kind of disappointed...I was hoping I'd launch through the roof, or something. Yeesh. But I'm happy to see that it *is* possible to get in there!

I'm thinking that thing under the chair is a stone...I wonder if it's there as a marker to a secret, or some sort of obscure or historical joke/reference.

bohemian - The key to that room is a red/orange key; it's in the master bedroom, across from the Library.

Comfortably Numb, Thanks for the info on the secret near the stairs. Now i know i'm not completely blind. I looked for the explosive in the room down the hall from the armoury, (is that what you were talking about?)i needed the red key from the armoury to get in, but all that was in the chest was a flash bomb in both easy and normal, so maybe you can only get it on Expert, which is what im playing next!!

Silver Sorrow, Thanks for the wine crate. I had actually started to pick up all the crates just to see if one of those was the one , but silly me quit looking before i found the one i needed. Still quite a few secrets short and would love a list as well. Do you suppose there a few things that are only available on Expert, such as secrets, the explosive device and the broken wall in the sewer that you've found? because i've missed that as well *sigh* Oh well off to play on expert to see what else i can find!!

shining standards / lord vernstien's manor / the prometheus

anyone play these multi-named missions yet? i'd like to compare notes regarding secrets. i only got 4 of 13 on part 1 and a whopping 0 of 4 on part 2 (which did not end when i returned to the rowboat -- anyone else experience this?)

here's what i found on part 1:
    spoiler:
    1. the ubersword
    2. the flare maze
    3. the journal in the wall passage
    3. the skull room behind the crates in the basement

These are great FM's, and lots of secrets which is always fun. For Lord V's Manor alot of the secrets can only be found if you're playing on expert, if you need help there's another thread in Fan Missions Forum, which i got alot of help from, and i've still only found 10 of the 13 secrets. For Prometheus i found 2 of the 4 secrets on easy, and i haven't played on the other two difficulties yet so i'm not sure you can find them on easy. If you want to know where they are just let me know and i'll tell you. SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

As for the raft, do you have the right one? Half way through the game i think the captain and his crew return to the ship, and their raft is the one that is tied up next to the ship. The raft you want is on the same side as the captain's but further out to sea and down the other end of the ship.

Can someone describe in detail where the horn is. I read the above and still couldn't find it.

I could also use a list of the secrets? I've found 6 or 7 of them. I also see 3 or 4 hidden doors which I can't seem to open. Are all 13 secrets possible on all the difficulty levels. I'm playing on the middle level so I think maybe all the secrets are not available to me. Can anyone verify?

Also, is it true that this is actually a 2 mission pack? The readme file seems to say that. I just realized that. I'll have to try the second mission when I get home. If so, is the horn in the second mission?

NickD, here ya go to get the horn;-
    spoiler:
    get into the grounds and head right and follow the wall til you get to the well house. Down the well and turn right and open the gate (the lever is on the left of the gate). In the centre of this room is a well, mantle on to it and go 3/4 of the way down, you should see a side tunnel. swim down here and when you get to the broken gate turn left up into another open pool area. Here you will see on the wall facing you a broken bit, mantle on to this ( this can be a bit tricky!!!!!!!!!) and there's the li'l beauty

To get some secret doors to open in some of the smaller rooms it's either
    spoiler:
    extinguish all the lights or turn them all on (sorry but i don't recall which it was)

I'm afraid it looks likely that not all secrets are available in normal and hard modes (this comment is going on what has already been said in this post as I've only played in expert mode).

I hope this helps you!! And enjoy the rest of the mission!!
    Last edited by comfortably numb; 11th Mar 2002 at 17:24.

Thanks comfortably numb. I've been down the well and seen the gate but I never saw a lever there. Either I missed it somehow or it's not there on the difficulty setting I'm playing.

I got some of the secrets by doing what you suggested. But there's still a few I can see but can find no way to open them. I'll post a list of the ones I've found later.

Here are the 3 places I remember there appear to be secret doors which I can't open.
    spoiler:
    1. On the first floor (2nd floor for us Americans) on either side of the front entrance foyer there are hidden doors. This has already been mentioned in this thread. Someone said the switches are somewhere nearby in the hallway. I couldn't find anything there.

2. Down below the chapel there is a small small door in one of the hallways. I think someone has said that we need the explosive device to open it. I can't find the explosive device even though I believe I've been to the armory and the rooms nearby.

3. At the top of the North stairs coming from the basement to the ground floor there's a small hidden door and a small nook behind the banner that I slashed. I think someone said there's a switch in that nook but only on expert level.
    It's certainly possible that the switches for all of those are only available on expert level. If someone can confirm that I'd appreciate it. It sure would save me a lot of time searching. I'm playing on the middle difficulty level.

Besides those 3 I've found 7 other secrets. When I get a chance I'll post a list of those. If Nightwalker were here we'd have the full list by now.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast