TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart and Soul for ThiefGold

Heart and Soul for ThiefGold

Please post bug reports, complaints, praises, etc. here for Heart and Soul. The released version is 1.9n, it is a very short sequel to The Varyx Obelisk. Mostly an excuse to show-off more CowGEN architecture and a new kind of difficulty setting: GHOST. It's a very tough stealthy sneaker on GHOST mode.

If you haven't played The Varyx Obelisk, then you probably won't understand what's going on in H&S. So, just go with the flow; sneak around corners, find keys and loot, etc.
    "You would worry less about what other people think about you, when you realize how seldom other people think about you."
    Anonymous

Gone, but never forgotten
    Thanks, dowloading now

Remember, if you can't find something look for a cross on the floor. That should save you a replay.
    Just a girl wishing for the old days

Remember, it's a sequel...

Yamentha, thanks for the tip . Folks who remember The Varyx Obelisk should already know that tip.
    "You would worry less about what other people think about you, when you realize how seldom other people think about you."
    Anonymous

I'm having trouble with the
    spoiler:
    crosses on the floor. What exactly activates them? I've tried clicking on them, walking through the wall in front of them, etc. I got through once by the one in the room with the tables, but I couldn't get through the one just inside the door that opens with the "Old Towne Portal Access" key. When I went back to the other one to try to figure out what I was doing wrong, I couldn't get back through it, either.
    Help?

Has anyone had problems playing this fm ? I start it this afternoon but I am stuck at right at the begining.

There are two crystals in a secret room that light up when Garrett approaches them, this leads me to beleive that they should be frobbable. For some reason I can not frob them. The only other way out of starting room is a door that does not light up when approached. I have nothing in my inventory.

Is this a bug or am I missing something ?

howie - You're missing something.
    spoiler:
    You have two crystals in your inventory that match the ones you can see in that room. "Use" the ones in your inventory on the matching gems.

Ooooops....I forgot I can't use the scroll mouse in thief gold. I thought the inventory was empty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't been here for awhile Nightwalker, I see you made moderator, congrats! Hey, I post this in the General Discussion forum and tried to delete it -- didn't know there was a fm forum -- and for some reason the board would not let me delete the topic. Just thought I'd let you know. This place has changed a lot so maybe my misunderstood the delete instructions but the message said I was not autorized to perform that function. /me scatches head

I'm stuck.

Neat little mission. Spooky. Varyx Obelisk was one of my favorites.

Anyway, have handle. Went down into sewer, swam to pool with spider patrolling. Ran past spider to another ladder leading up to another sewer lid. Switch on wall missing handle that handle in inventory fits. Presumably this switch activates the grate in front of me, but the switch, even with the handle, won't operate.

What am I doing wrong??

You took the level and placed it on the switch to make a proper lever, and then it wouldn't pull?

Z

Nightwalker,

I had the same problem but you obvious know you have to crouch to get through. I'm not sure but you may have to click on the 'x' to get through the second time. The reason I'm not sure is... sometimes it's hard to for Garrett to get through those crouch places even when he can see the openning. I'm not sure if it was a fluke but I clicked on the 'x' and then I could get through the second time.

I'm stuck after the Sorkonia Medalllion. After I frobbed it, I think it said, " The gate ( or portal) is now open (?)". I looked everywhere but I don't know what the message meant.

Viper6,

The switch should operate. Hmmm.....

Thanks, howie! I'm having fun moderating here. Everybody's pretty much well behaved so it's easy. You should be able to delete your own post on the other forum. I don't have a clue what the problem could be.

I don't know what my problem with the "x" is. I'll have another try later. I'm sure I tried it crouching and standing!

Viper 6 - All I did was insert the lever, then "use" it and the gate lifted.

Howie,

I THINK it said "Door activated.: That's where I'm stuck, too...

hehe....found out what it meant. Another tip: Remember to look on the walls too.

Had one heck of a time finding that 2nd 'X'! I finished with 100 or so short on loot -- 1 hour on Expert mode. It was a great sequel to The Varyx Obelisk. No bugs I could find.

Possible Fixes: The holes may be to small where the X's are located. I'm not sure if clicking on the 'x' let me through the second time or not -- it could be a bug or an odd coincidence. I really don't know enough about dromed to know how the wall that isn't there is created, so, I have no idea if they are linked to that X.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After you have the Sorkonia Medallion Spoiler: You have to back track and follow the walls to open another automatic sliding door. More of a spoiler ahead......................................................................... It's in the area of the castle type buildings with a purple guard ( Rameriz Guard ).
    Last edited by howie; 23rd Mar 2002 at 19:42.

I took the level and placed it on the switch and it won't pull to open the gate in front of me? This is the gate after the first spider.

spoiler:
    The cross is just there because the acolytes scribble it in so they don't have to remember exactly where the walls are

That's all. No special tricks required.

I really liked this mission. The only problem i 'm having is getting back to
    spoiler:
    the mystic room
    Where is the mission supposed to end? I don't have the half-circle portal key anymore so i can't leave the Old Town. Can anyone help?

How did you loose the key?

If you get back to the keeper facility, look for a cross on the floor very near the portal.

Originally posted by Auriga2us
    I took the level and placed it on the switch and it won't pull to open the gate in front of me? This is the gate after the first spider.
    Are you right or left clicking the mouse to flip the switch ?

Originally posted by dreamer
    spoiler:
    the mystic room
    Where is the mission supposed to end? I don't have the half-circle portal key anymore so i can't leave the Old Town. Can anyone help?
    Ending spoiler (big spoiler):
    spoiler:
    You have to go back to the room down below the first spider -- it looks like a dead end but it is not. There are two x on the floors, one is to continue in the mission, the other is to finish the mission, and they are both close together.

Remember it is sort of a puzzle mission.

The chalkmarks "X"

Please remember what you learned in The Varyx Obelisk about X chalkmarks on the floor. You may have to back-up and try again. Sometimes Garrett's head-bob doesn't bob just right.

For the final objective:

spoiler:
    Find "Destiny Alcove" for 1st of 2 more portal keys. Then look for the X chalkmark after exiting the portal room.

Sorkonia Medallion

Originally posted by bohemian
    Howie,

I THINK it said "Door activated.: That's where I'm stuck, too...
    spoiler:
    Taking the Sorkonia Medallion issues a hint message "Door Enabled". Look elsewhere in Old Towne for the word "Sorkonia". It's near the snoring sleeper.

There is now a Walkthru20.str file in the zip.

Originally posted by dreamer
    spoiler:
    the mystic room
    I've uploaded the zip with a new file added "Walkthru20.str", which is a complete walkthru of the mission.

For dreamer:
    spoiler:
    After destroying The Menace and getting the final objective, go back to the keeper halls and find "Destiny Alcove". The key for the Garthelus Temporal portal is in the niche. Use the portal to go to the Garthelus Temporal room, where you'll find the final Gartillian portal key. Use the temporal gate to time travel back to the future. Activate the final teleporter to return to the Gartillian underground complex. Exit the teleport room and look for the X chalkmark in the adjacent room for the secret passage.

BTW: Anyone notice the "trick"?

The keepers pulled a "fast one" on Garrett. Garrett was told in the Ybynwan note that he was going directly to Old Towne via the portal, and the Old Towne Portal Key was on the table. Well, all is not what it seems...

spoiler:
    When entering the portal room, notice the glyph on the wall just outside. It says "Old Towne" as the destination. After teleporting to the underground Saruthain Temporal, look at the "Old Town Portal Key" again. You'll see its name has changed. The glyph has also changed "Saruthain Temporal", which you can read again when you return at the end of the mission. Sneaky bastards!

It was a very enjoyable sequel, not as small as was made out. No bugs that I could find. I played it through on Ghost and had no problems with it. I have played Varyx Obelisk so many times that I am somewhat familiar with Xarax's tricks. I came up 100 short of loot.

I had a liittle difficulty going back to find the missing loot (which I never found) because I thought that I was trapped and could not return to the mission ending area again. The transporter needed for a quick return, the column in the center of a room, was dead after its first use when returning to the start. Later, I found that I could go back and forth if I went far enough into the mission to somehow reactivate the dead teleporter. That's a minor inconvenience if you want to go back and forth quickly or to test that it is possible before proceeding. More important, it could present a problem to someone who takes the wrong transporter near the end of the mission and did not save his game. He then has to backtrack a long way to recover from the mistake. I save often, so that didn't bother me.

The trigger to fail ghost (and die) was much more sensitve than the Ghost rules used at the Eidos Thief Forum, in which a first level alert is allowed. According to the Eidos rules it is OK to get a first level alert, something like "Must've been rats." In this mission you fail with any sighting or hearing. That's not bad, it is just a little difficult in places.
    Good job Xarax!

Peter Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast