TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Shadow of Lord Rothchest (plot)

The Shadow of Lord Rothchest (plot)

I've finished the FM a few hours ago, but unfortunately I couldn't understand the plot. My English is poor and Purah's writings are rather comlicated for me. So can someone please describe for me what was going on there? What kind of ceremony was planned by Lord R. and why, who are those gests, why Lord R. needed the sword for the ceremony, who is Nyarla'thotep and the Haunter of the Darkness?

Thanks.

Plot and more questions

Just finished this one myself. It was pretty good for such an early mission from the dawn of Dromediting; the mansion design is odd but appropriate for the storyline.

As far as I understand it, there have been 3 structures built on the site in the mission. The first was a temple and tomb complex of unknown origin. The second was a Hammerite cathedral built on top of it. After a priest defiled the place (I think he is the haunt and the zombies are his 5 victims), the Hammers closed the church and sold the property to the Rothchests, a foreign family, who rebuilt the structure into a mansion and opened a passage to the old temple to conduct their ceremonies. Kevil Rothchest is the current owner. He bought Constantine's sword from Garrett because of its connection to the Trickster and he plans to use it to sacrifice visiting members of his own family in order to give himself magical power and/or access the hidden treasures of the tomb. A related plan involves the woman Amarantha who I believe is the noblewoman in the room directly below Rothchestís bedroom. Rothchest writes in the scroll in his observatory that killing her will somehow allow him to join with the female apparition (which does not appear in the mission) that he has seen haunting the grounds.

Oh, and Nyarla'thotep and the Haunter of the Darkness are evil supernatural beings from the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, an early 20th century American writer of science fiction and fantasy stories.

Now for my problems: I was unable to open two secret doors and Iím hoping that you or anyone else will know how to do it. The first was on the floor in the southeast corner of the basement room that connects the tomb area with the mansion. Itís the room with a lot of barrels and a hole in the ceiling through which you can rope up to the ground floor of the tower with the kitchen. Scratch this one; I found the switch The second is the secret door in the room with the jeweled skull. When facing the altar, the door is in the upper left corner and is accessible by mantling to the ledge in front of it. Since Iím missing nearly 700 loot from the total, I guess that the hidden treasures that Rothchest wants might be back there; I already got the all funeral urns from the general tomb area. The only thing I can think of to open the tomb door would be to enact Rothchestís sacrifice plan using him but it would be a lot of work to drag him down there and rather too vicious for my taste as well.
    Last edited by Norman Druart; 4th Apr 2002 at 00:34.

The second is the secret door in the room with the jeweled skull. When facing the altar, the door is in the upper left corner and is accessible by mantling to the ledge in front of it. Since Iím missing nearly 700 loot from the total, I guess that the hidden treasures that Rothchest wants might be back there; I already got the all funeral urns from the general tomb area. The only thing I can think of to open the tomb door would be to enact Rothchestís sacrifice plan using him but it would be a lot of work to drag him down there and rather too vicious for my taste as well.

You can't open the door from the room with jeweled skull. Look for the switch behind a statue on 1st floor of the mansion not far from main entrance. I can't remeber when exactly that statue is, sorry. The switch reveals shotcut between mansion and the jeweled skull room.

I couldn't get to the secret in the room with telescope. There is secret door on the ceiling but I didn't find a switch.

Originally posted by 242
    Look for the switch behind a statue on 1st floor of the mansion not far from main entrance
    Thanks, I noticed the secret door in the floor there but forgot about it.

I couldn't get to the secret in the room with telescope. There is secret door on the ceiling but I didn't find a switch.
    I could not figure that one out either. Looks like you have to access it from above since there is no ladder up to it but that would mean getting to the top of the tower somehow.

Re: Plot and more questions

Originally posted by Norman Druart

I was unable to open two secret doors and Iím hoping that you or anyone else will know how to do it. The first was on the floor in the southeast corner of the basement room that connects the tomb area with the mansion. Itís the room with a lot of barrels and a hole in the ceiling through which you can rope up to the ground floor of the tower with the kitchen. Scratch this one; I found the switch
    Can someone tell me where this switch is? I believe I've found the secret door Norman was talking about (it's in the corner of the room with the barrels, and when you walk on it, it sounds like metal), but I can't find the switch anywhere. Help!

If I'm thinking about the correct secret, I think the switch is over in the other corner of the room, in the wall, though I'm not postive we're talking about the same one.

Thanks, Nightwalker. I'll look there when I get the chance to play again. To add further detail to the location, there is also a complete skeleton in this room (with a detached arm), and there's a ton of barrels and crates too. The room has a low ceiling and also a large piece of machinery, but I'm not sure what the machinery is supposed to be.

I found the switch with your help, Nightwalker. We were talking about the same one. Thanks. (I can't believe I missed that switch! )

Boo... Thread necromacy (sp?)

I just played this FM and wanted to thank the author(s) for creating it...

But, should I thank Purah for the original or John D for the T2 conversion? Hmmm...

Nah, just kidding! You both deserve some applause! The mission is T2 but still has that T1 feel! The castle design is a little odd, but easily mapped and there are plenty of guards to full-fill that "thump.... Uhhh..." craving so many of us have!

Total thumbs up!

Is there a way to get back to the surface from the tomb (where the crown and golden skull are)? I got there before my other objectives, and the only way out is through these catacombs into the exit area. There's a door on the upper left above the tomb, but it can't be opened from that side

is that the same rothchild from life of the party conversation?