TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Calendra's Legacy Mission 1: A Meeting With Basso (questions)

Calendra's Legacy Mission 1: A Meeting With Basso (questions)

At vandi's suggestion, I'm opening one thread for questions about each mission/act and we'll try that.

Please post questions about Mission 1 (A Meeting With Basso) in this thread. Anything that is a general question or remark about the mission pack, or covers more than 1 mission can still be posted in the release thread, if you like.
    There you can also find download links.

Please use spoiler cover when posting specifics to prevent people from inadvertently seeing too many details.

In case this thread doesn't provide an answer to your question you can also decide to consult
    - the walkthrough (compiled by Old Man) at http://thiefmissions.com/walkthrough...asLegacy1.html or
    - the loot list (by Klatremus) at http://home.online.no/~ajnilsen/hn/CL/CL1_L.htm for help.

Quick navigation:
    T1 FM "CALENDRA'S CISTERN" official release thread
    T2 FM "Calendra's Legacy" official release thread
    Calendra's Legacy Mission 1: A Meeting With Basso (questions) -- currently viewing
    Calendra's Legacy Mission 2: Midnight in Murkbell (questions)
    Calendra's Legacy Mission 3: A Winter's Eve (questions)
    Last edited by nickie; 2nd Nov 2012 at 05:28.

Mission One

Just finished Mission 1 (Again) CL really is a novel in process. No wonder I was ignored earlier. I hadn't taken the time to fully expore Murkbell, Lamfire and surrounding environs. I don't know if I have enough guts to tackle "The Fort".
    spoiler:
    I did pick the door with the ladder, but got busted when the lightning flashed. Dunno know about attempting it again. Too many guards! I found the sewer access from the jail too!
    But I did finish Arkhyn's tomb. That one really got my heart going in more than a few places ! Read Purah's link to the old man's walkthrough, it will give you a good perspective on what can be done in mission 1. Going back in for 2 now.

Thank you for the consolidation of threads Nightwalker. I was about to suggest creating an entire temporary forum section just for Calendra's Legacy questions!

bug?

first: lovely mission pack!!! the architecture and story are SOOOO good!

I seem to be experiencing some problems, though:

Even though I play at the easiest setting, I can not knock some people out without losing the mission (the first chapter). I know for sure that they were not alerted at the time, and that nobody else saw I knocked them out, but still the mission ended (and it ended every single time I retried knocking these people out... which is what I usually do on my first time trough a mission: knock 'em all down ). Does anyone have a clue as to what I might have done wrong?

Something else: is there a way to go down the grave?

dryhte2 - That problem has cropped up and it seems that the AI alert just as you BJ them. I tried BJ the same guard in the same hallway from the same save 6 times. 4 times the mission failed and twice it worked fine. Just save before you try a BJ in case this happens or, if possible, just don't bother with the BJ. No-one pays any attention to you unless you're observed doing something wrong. If you want to pickpocket something, make sure the AI doesn't see you at all beforehand and, if they do, hang back and wait a few minutes until they forget about you. Then you can go ahead and take it.

As for the grave -
    spoiler:
    there is no way to go down, you have to find another entrance to the tomb. Go look in the park at the bottom of the stairs, not far from your meeting spot with Basso. First, if you don't already have them, you should go find a couple of useful books. They're in the house that was just across the bridge on your left from the start point.

Welcome to the forum, too!

Thank you nightwalker I'm not exactly new to this forum though... Even tho i never posted much. Lost my password for Dryhte, and changed email addresses as well, so no way to get my old password back

spoiler alert:

spoiler:

I know about the grave in the hills, but I thought there might be an easier way in through the other grave.

Having serious trouble with the crown (or necklace thingy) though... tried shooting it off its pedestal but won't work.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 5th Apr 2002 at 11:50.

dryhte2 - I added spoiler cover to your post. It's easy to use. Just look above the square where you type and you'll see a little square labelled "Spoiler". Click on it and a box appears. Type the text that needs to be hidden in it, click OK and it will be inserted in your post. You can also just type {SPOILER} at the start and {/SPOILER} at the end of that section. Use [ ] these brackets though. I had to use the other ones so it wouldn't be hidden!

As for the crown -
    spoiler:
    You don't need to do anything elaborate. Just pick up the skull or one of the zombie bits lying in there and heave it at the crown to trigger the trap. Then the little door on the other side of the room opens.

I'm not sure that always works.
    spoiler:
    Didn't work for me anyway. There are three other ways to survive the trap...

1)
    spoiler:
    Go just over the edge and backup until you are just on the edge. Kneel, lean forward, and grab the crown. You'll get webbed but you can get rid of them safely.

2)
    spoiler:
    Stay near the edge but on the sinking platform. Grab the crown. While webbed, quickly turn around and mantle backup onto the edge.

3)
    spoiler:
    Just grab the crown. Remove the webs on the way down. When you get to the bottom there will be a little tunnel you can escape through. You may take a little damage this way from the gas though.

It's always worked that way for me, with no problems. Let us know if it works for you, dryhte2.

I'm having major problems with act 1.

1 ) I've had the same problem with blackjacking anyone in the mission, every time I do I die. I managed to blackjack 3 guards behind the wall at the beginning of the mission but thats it. Reloading from a save doesn't seem to fix the problem.

2) If I use a water arrow anywhere in the act 1 I get the scull and crossbones.

3) Some of the guards attack me if they see me on the streets. They are freindly one time and not the next.

4) The jail house seems to be impossible to get through. A guard fell onto a ledge at one of the entrances to the rooms and I can't get by him. On the other end a sleeping guard woke up when I went down in the sewers, so I can't go that way either. Is there much loot in that building ?

5) At the end of the mission isn't basso suppose to leave a weapon cashe in the apartment. I can't seem to find the weapons anywhere.

I'm not complaining about the Fan Mission. I'm just confused if it is suppose to be this difficult. I only have $221 total loot . And I am playing on the easiest setting.

Hi, howie.

1) The problem you're experiencing with the BJ is just that, a problem. I asked Purah about this and he said that, as far as he can tell, the AI alert just at the moment you BJ them, which causes the mission to fail. The only thing I can suggest is to save before you try it, so if it fails you can reload or just avoid BJ as much as possible. You can do the whole mission and not touch anyone without too much trouble. If you want to pickpocket someone, just make sure they haven't seen you in the last few minutes. If they are at a first level alert, even though they don't look agitated, the game will fail.

2) I don't understand this one. Maybe Purah or someone else will have some words of wisdom. The only thing I can think of is that maybe you're being spotted by someone. If you're even seen with a weapon in your hands, then you're recognized as being a thief and up to no good, which fails the first objective. It's also possible that someone nearby is hearing the water arrow hit.

3) I don't understand this one at all. I've never had it happen.

4) There's quite a bit of stuff in that building. It might be worthwhile starting from an earlier save and trying again.

5) There's nothing in the apartment. Just frob the bed to finish and go on to the next mission.

If you want to know where to find more loot so you can buy more equipment for the next mission, just e-mail me and I'll give you some idea of where to look.

Thanks Nightwalker,

I went into the barricks through the front door. The guard didn't notice me this time. I managed to shoot one water arrow in the barricks without the game failing. I actually had one guard looking for me and the game didn't end -- thats the first time. I don't know what's up with the high alert status, even if I don't move, the guards are alerted. I may have to start the game over to get by this problem. I must have did something odd to cause the mission to fail so easily.

Thanks,
    howie

I'm steadily working my way through Purah's list of easter eggs/special quests this weekend =)

Any hints on where to find the hand of glory or hammer of the builder? Once again, Purah and team - amazing job! Thanks for all your hard work.

Tomb crown

I finally made it to the tomb.
    spoiler:
    Something seems to be wrong with the loot total and the crown itself. My loot total is way to low. I first noticed it when I frobbed some loot from a man walking on the street and it said he was carrying $2. Before raiding the tomb I had $221, after raiding the tomb I have $239, it just isn't possible with all the stuff I've picked up for the total to be that low. For some reason I can not frobb the crown at all. It lights up but nothing happens when I click on it. I looked at the walk-through and I seem to have found everything but the main chamber in the tomb. Right now I'm hopelessly stuck inside the chamber.

Edit: Something is wrong. I looked at the walk-through again. It says in the barn there is a ladder that leads up to a chest in the attic. I tried to go up there but I could not frob the door at the top of the ladder -- the door just doesn't light up. I must have lost some stuff in the download or it got corrupted somehow. Hmmmmmmm......Ok...at least i know I'm not losing my mind now. Thanks for the clues, I guess I'll have to buy the CD's.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 6th Apr 2002 at 21:21.

howie - I think you need to read the walkthrough again.

spoiler:
    The chest isn't up the ladder in the barn, it's on the main floor.

The loot totals are low on a lot of objects in this mission. Your total is probably right. The main loot available is in the real tomb, which you haven't found yet. The one with the crown is a decoy. You can't pick up the crown, by the way. You need to keep looking. If you go back up the hallway from the tomb with the crown, there is a skeleton on the floor right at the corner. There is a bone you can frob that will open a secret door right beside you. Also, have you found a silver key yet? If not, go back to the room with 4 doors and try another one.

Last edited by Nightwalker; 27th Feb 2012 at 12:20.

Barn attic

Howie,

I think your playing on normal difficulty. The attic in the barn didn't work for me either when I played mission 1 on Normal. Do a search of other CL threads for more help on the tomb. You've been had by Arkyn!!

oops

that's why Nightwalker's the moderator and I am just another taffer!

spoiler:
    Nightwalker said:"The chest isn't up the ladder in the barn, it's on the main floor. " Howie's responce: That maybe true, regardless, there is nothing in the footlocker on the main floor, nada, empty as a old beer bottle. I'll try the bone thing. The author of the walk-through is booooooooooring. Sorry. Not witty to me at all. How's that for a spoiler, NOT.

howie -
    spoiler:
    On Expert, there was 2 g. in the barn chest. As for the walkthrough, each to his own!

CRAP!!!

I'm still stuck at the boneheads tomb with all the loot. I have no idea how to get by this thing. It was fun up until now.

howie, if you want more specific help on how to do the tomb, just e-mail me and I'll walk you through it. It would be a shame to let this take the fun out of the mission for you. Just tell me exactly how far you've gotten and where you're stuck.

That's ok Nightwalker. I made it through, but it was a rough ride. The #1 objective keep checking off that I gave myself away as a thief. The skull did not destroy me, the objective checked off with the skull and crossbones, but I got by with quickness of weapon.

I'm stuck again, when I returned to the rented room, the people inside attacked me, as a theif. I don't know why. I did not walk in with any weapons drawn. I just walked in. This mission hates me.

You're really having a rough time of it, alright. No one should be attacking you if you have no weapons drawn. If they're alerted the mission should end. I don't exactly know how you can get through this if you're being attacked.
    spoiler:
    You have to get a key from the old lady to get into your room.
    Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Howie, are you running with the patched version of Thief2? To check, right click on thief2, select the version tab, and click on product version at the bottom. It should read 1.18.

Nightwalker, there are two there. The other is on a relatively obvious climbing destination. To get to the one you spotted, you need to power climb. That's done by holding down both up+left or up+right while climbing. Choose your route carefully. It doesn't look possible but it is and that's the beauty of it.

spoiler:
    Strafe-climbing! Woo-hoo!