TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM "Best Defense" released (9/6/2002)

Distant Quasar

T2 FM "Best Defense" released (9/6/2002)

I have officially stumbled into the realm of FM authoring. My fan mission "Best Defense" is currently available for download at Epithumia's site. This is mission 1 of 3. Hopefully Santa Claus/Father Time will bring mission 2 in time for the holidays! I hope everyone enjoys it!

btw - the mission is only in English, but I can email you a transcript of the briefing if you would like...all other audio is standard guard-talk/Garrett comments.

- eepcat

Thiefmissions.com

Just in case you don't have it bookmarked, that's http://thief.math.uh.edu/missions
    - J<

great little fm here, lol, only one thing not found and that is the 4th secret i suppose it has something to do with the graveyard, but i tried blowing the rocks up no luck. found one in
    spoiler:
    guards station, behind guards, cell. not counting the one behind the start, cause it not really a secret.
    any hints on last without too much detail hehe, completed everything,

Distant Quasar

Secret Spoiler

spoiler:
    The graveyard does contain a secret...the trigger is only a tombstone's throw away...

Well, I had a great evening playing your FM, eepcat! I finally found all the secrets and loot, but not easily. It's very nicely done and lots of fun to play. You did an excellent job on your first mission and now I can't wait to see what the next one is like. Thank you very much.

Fine job eepcat. I like the story and I look forward to continuing in your next two missions. I also enjoyed the two pieces of gramophone music. Id like to know what theyre called and who performed them.

I need a little help with the 4th secret. The ones I've found are (I'll make the descriptions somewhat obtuse so as to not spoil other players so early after release):[list=1][*]Weapons cache guarded by critters.[*]The cell key's hiding place[*]Entrance that Benny didn't want to use[/list=1]Thanks!

Gone, but never forgotten

Thanks for the transcript of the briefing

Finished the mission with all the loot and all the secrets - it was a lot of fun using the explosive charges to "kill" the zombies
    It was great, that you can put the lights off and on (we hate dark missions)
    Can't wait playing the following mission!

Norman Druart -
    spoiler:
    Check the conference room carefully.

Distant Quasar

Thanks!

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the mission so far. Outknockers, during development and testing I ALWAYS handled the zombies with the explosive charges...lots of fun.

For Norman, here's the secret you have not found:

spoiler:
    In the police station conference room there is a frobbable panel near the floor along the "bar".

I was going to take a break before starting the next mission, but the positive feedback had me up until 2 last night with pen and paper!! thanks again,

-eepcat

That's very good news, eepcat! Keep me in mind when you're recruiting betatesters for the next one. I'd love to do it.

Got the last secret, thanks to eepcat and Nightwalker. I had looked there before, just not low enough.

It's a good ghosting mission as well. I ghosted all of it except for the police station lobby. I couldn't sneak through there from either entrance even after turning off the floodlights and using a broadhead on one of the light switches.

Question: I got the zombies to fight the cell guards but the spiders and outside guards don't seem to care about each other. Is this really the case?

Nicely done Eepcat! Just finished on Expert. The only technical problem I had with the mission was two forced restarts due to a game engine error - something about too complex - locked up the game, but not the machine. I imagine it has something to do with the polycount.
    I found all secrets too except for the one Norman Druart missed the first time around. Just a suggestion, but I don't think all those weapons were needed. Cut it back by a third and it would be a little more of a challenge. thanks for making such a great mission.
    The problem is choice...

I LOVE IT EEPCAT!!!

Great first mission.

I don't think all those weapons were needed. Cut it back by a third and it would be a little more of a challenge.
    My thoughts: you can always make it harder on yourself by choosing to ghost or choosing not to use any weapons or whatever but there has to be allowances for the less-skilled player. IMHO.

Fun mission Eepcat! I found all but the
    spoiler:
    graveyard secret
    . I too had trouble with the polycount on the outside areas but I changed my res and was able to play without crashing. I didnt have any trouble inside. I can't wait to play your part two. The only weapon I wish I had was a
    spoiler:
    nosiemaker arrow for the 2 guards in the lobby. That area was tricky!
    I loved all the loot. Good job!

Hi Eepcat,
    Thank you for this mission, it was / is really fun to play ( expert ). Really great work ! I`m looking forward to the other two missions !
    But now I`m stuck deep down. I believe I`ve been everywhere and found all secrets except the key I`d probably need here.
    Any hint would be greatly appreciated , especially how to get out of here ( it`s monday and I`ve got some work to do ).
    Best regards,
    Coop

Agent Cooper
    spoiler:
    Are you down in the basement area where the cells are? You have to go into Garrett's cell and read the book. An objective will trigger for what you are to do next.

Distant Quasar

Some Answers

Druart, the music credits are:
    The gramaphone by Sheriff's dancefloor: Frank Zappa "Bow Tie Daddy"

spoiler:
    Gramaphone at end of alley: Primus "De Anza Jig"

Agent Cooper:
    spoiler:
    It sounds like you have not found the key to Garrett's cell. Check the toolbox in the Sheriff's office (secret)

Thank you all,
    seems I`ve been blind in Texas ! I`m from the FBI after all ...
    Had to go back to a very early savegame because I was stuck in the basement.
    Maybe a way back up would have been a good idea ?
    No criticism, this mission was really one of the best I`ve played lately.
    Keep the good stuff coming !
    Have a nice week,
    Coop

Re: Some Answers

Originally posted by eepcat
    Druart, the music credits are:
    The gramaphone by Sheriff's dancefloor: Frank Zappa "Bow Tie Daddy"

spoiler:
    Gramaphone at end of alley: Primus "De Anza Jig"
    Wow, I would have never matched those artists with those pieces. Thanks!

Distant Quasar

Slipped past the radar

Agent Cooper, you've found an interesting "bug" in the mission...

spoiler:
    You must have jumped down the elevator shaft to get to the basement, since the only way in/out of the basement is via the hidden trap door (the only switch is outside). The fall down the elevator shaft was fatal when I tested, but maybe survivable on Normal?...or with Slow-fall. I will add a switch inside as well so this does not happen to anyone else. Chalk it up as a first-mission boo-boo.

eepcat - you are too hard on yourself! I'm sure the seasoned veterans will tell you that someone ALWAYS does something that the author never intended, first mission or not. (I have done a few wacky things myself.) Is there another use for the slow-fall potion? If not take it out instead of adding a switch, maybe. That way you "control" the player inadvertently. I take clues as to what you want me, the player, to do by what you give me as equipment. For example: I wrongly guessed that I was given an explosive charge to use on the pile of rocks in the cemetery, but learned here in the forum that it is just another way to dispose of the zombies.

The mission works and that's the important thing, IMHO and the outside area is fine so don't worry. I too am looking forward to your next mission - SO GET BUSY!!! Just kidding. I am a Thief junky, what can I say.

Distant Quasar

okay

I guess you're right diana...however, I would hate to have someone trying to do the mission "ironman" style (no saves) get stuck in the basement. The slow-fall potion was put there to fall from the roof - if that is how the player decided to exit the police station. Sometimes getting on a rope arrow from above is tricky and I figured I would give the player the option of slow-falling. Speaking of iron man...I am busily planning the next mission which happens to be titled "Iron Man".

Thanks again for all of the feedback - EVERYTHING, whether good or bad is helpful!

-eep!

nice job eepcat!

only problem i had at all was the framerate outside, but it wasn't anywhere near crashing... just noticable... so no biggie

congrats on your first mission being a success (and yeah, diana is right... tons of missions end up having updated versions because of things such as that basement thing... it definitely shouldn't concern you much since even the OMs have tons of things you can do that you're not supposed to)!

-cheers

Wonderful Mission!

Played on expert, found all secrets and moved the mission without ever being bored or unchallenged. Nice job!

I have one comment and one question:

Comment:

I suggest a final objective on the order of "return to place X" so that those of us who want to find every last bit of loot can do so without triggering the end of the game

Question:

spoiler:
    There's a stone "shack" out back with a metal door. I never found a key for that door, and using the explosive charges failed to open the door. Does it open at all? Is there anything in there?

Thank you!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast