TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Brawl in the Tombs Oct/02

Stunning
    I'm playing on one man army, I guess the same thing happened. I've never had a cream colored key in my inventory, I'm quite sure about that.

And you can't even blast the exit open, four fire arrows and three mines had no effect

I guess I'm where you are . After playing such a great FM , it's a shame being stuch at an exit . Does anybody know how to edit the save game file to correct the key problem ?

Taking a break
    I apologize for the problems, I'll try to fix the problem and get a new fixed
    version ASAP! I'll work on the keys and make the door destroyable in case
    the keys fail again!

John D. bangs head into wall to remind himself to have betatest done next time!

I tried to play some more of it today, but it's just too dark to see during daylight hours. If you're reworking the keys, I don't suppose you could lighten it up just a tiny bit? (And next time you need betatesters, just drop me a line. I love your missions and I'd be happy to betatest.)

Taking a break
    I'm sorry Nightwalker, I was over halfway into uploading v2 to
    the Cheap Thief Mission site when I read your post. I didnt alter
    the light level, but I did fix the key problem. Plus, I made the
    door openable to firearrows, just in case anyone else has any problems
    making their escape!

Not to mention, I added a few extra apparitions...

Thanks for the betatest offer though! Whenever I decide to
    do another FM, I'll be glad for you and anyone else intrested
    to try it out to prevent any future misshaps!

It's just going to take me a few nights to get through the mission, because I have to play it after dark, but it's actually much spookier that way, anyways! Either this mission is huge or I'm spending a lot of time walking in circles! LOL! I'm having a great time playing it and I think I'll continue with this version, even though I know I won't be able to get out. I'm too close to having completed all the other objectives to restart now. It will just give me a really good reason to play it again after I finish.

AWWWEEE!

Originally posted by John D.
    Thats strange! What difficulty level are you playing on? I tested the mission
    on easy and expert and it worked fine then. I'll try the mission again later today to
    see if I can find the error.

New Update:

Of all of the crazy things?! I played it on 'Robber' difficulty and I had the same
    problem! By Ken's body there are two keys, a grey and cream colored one

This time I grabbed the grey key first, then when I grabbed the cream one,
    it changed into a useless gray key!

I have NO idea how this happened! Has anyone else had this problem?
    Everybody try to grab the cream colored key first!
    Yep yep...

I did the same exact thing, and when i tried to open the door with the gray key, as i never found the cream color one in my inventory (and knew i grabbed it) ,It sounded as if the door was opening and slamming shut when i tried to open it. Of course, it has taken me alot of search and sneaking effort to find the ONLY tunnel to a large room with mechanists and cameras, and lots of hungry,haunting, ghostly,abirations from hell! And i MEAN ALOT MORE! WOW! What a war! whatching mechanists and ghouls bash it out. I can't believe how long it took me to find this area to complete the mechanist info objective! Having found both keys in this area and reading thie previous post I still picked up the grey one first next to the cream colored one and it didn't work on the door back at the AC/DC rock'n'roll Pad. But i did manage to bring a fight to my Bro's after coming back from this nights stroll....playing the music added some enlightment
    hEhe
    I can't get enough of this game emphisizing on character to character fight sequences. Its a real treat John D. It is AWESOME!!
    I have had alot of FUN with this FM!!! Its like being in a movie and playing it at the same time!!
    I will try the patch for the door now or whenever its available=)
    It doesn't ruin the game at all, just because i may not be able to leave.
    Last edited by dealasteal; 23rd Oct 2002 at 02:14.
    ♠ĘλŁΔŞΣλŁ

Stunning
    New version, jummy. More ghosts, bring them on. I just hope you haven't added too much of them, I want the hammers to survive the fight with a few men so I can lead them to other places where I don't want to get my hands dirty

One man army is a very good description if you ask me

This is a great FM! I loved getting the undead to attack the livng and vice versa. The opposite happened to me with the keys. Both of them turned into the cream one, so i was able to make it out. What is the iron key used for?

Congratulations, John D., that's one of the most original FMs I've ever played!
    Causing an enourmous creature clash by sending a noisemaker arrow down the corridor reminded me of another FM I had played some weeks ago, Quick Cash. Turns out to be you very first DromEd work, sort of a small preview of what's to come
    I had a lot of fun playing Brawl in the Tombs, and I managed to accomplish all objectives without having to ask for spoilers. The placement of loot is just right, so that even the highest difficulty doesn't degrade into an exhausting loothunt. Additionally, this mission has a great replay value, since the AI fights never turn out the same.
    I had a lot of fun getting hit by holy water arrows while positioning myself near the torches in the room. This way the guards turned off their own lights until they couldn't see me anymore. The reference to the "bow upgrade" was great, as well!
    Great work! Hope to see another mission from you, soon!

My two cents worth ...

WOW Jonh D. and again I say WOW!!! I don't know about you all but I am loving this.

As far as lighting: my first thought was, wow it's dark. But 2 seconds into it I was totaly absorbed by the atmosphere. Having it dark just felt natural. I really felt like I was in a tomb, finding my way by feeling along the wall. I was scared out of my witts a few times because I couldn't see what I was stumbling over and that made it sooooo realistic. After watching a few battles and thinning the crowd I picked up one of the lantern carrying guards and carried him around to check and see if I had missed anything. When I would find another lantern carrying guard or thief I would use him to get the attention of one type of enemy and lead him to another type of enemy and let them have at each other. Then I strategically placed them to remind myself where I needed to explore further. I even threw one down the deep well.

Those water arrows tickle! I lead many a haunt to chase me around the archers to his demise.
    I told my husband that I was downloading the patch for Thief. He said, "Good! It's about time you kicked that addiction."

Taking a break
    What is the iron key used for?
    When I was working on the level, I wanted the exit key to trigger
    the arrival of the thieves, but when I tried it, the key wouldnt open
    the door! So I created a second key to open the door,
    In the story, the iron key is Ken's house key, it doesnt do anything
    but trigger the arrival of the thieves. My mistake on the first
    edition was leaving the key src settings the same, the result was
    both keys merging into one, which could mean nothing or being unable
    to exit the level! I made the iron key's settings different in v2 to
    prevent this from happening again, and if it does....
    spoiler:
    the exit can be blasted open now!

Other than that, the only difference is an extra apparition
    near the hammer outpost as well as a couple of others patrolling
    around.

BTW Eshaktaar - this is NOT John D's first mission. Look for "Your last Breath." It's the prequel to this one. It's not too big but lots of fun.
    I told my husband that I was downloading the patch for Thief. He said, "Good! It's about time you kicked that addiction."

I know, diana, I downloaded Your Last Breath so I could play the missions in hierarchical order. When I mentioned John D.'s first FM, I was referring to Quick Cash, which seems to be the prequel to Your Last Breath and the first episode in the series.

A brawl in the tombs

hi all..I am wondering if this FM is for Thief DP or MA?
    also where can I find it? I looked at the Circle.
    Thanks.
    TomN

Taking a break
    My FM can be found at the Cheap Thief mission site, (be sure
    to get the updated version!)
    It's made for Thief 2.

Stunning
    Does the new version have the same filename, or did I just download the old version for the second time this morning?

Oh I see now Eshaktaar. Thank you for clearing that up. I wouldn't want anyone to miss any of John D's missions.

Do you think John D got a taste for mayhem while making "Quick Cash"?

It was fun to play that one over and over just to see who would be the last one standing THIS time.

I'm replaying on the new version now, this time I went to the Thief's hide-out first. I felt guilty for taking all their stuff, though. Sweet note to NightWalker, I second the emotion.

Oh John D - what you said about the area where the huge vases are:
    spoiler:
    do you mean the low door to the small canals or is there something higher up?

Taking a break
    Zapman, The name of the new version is BrawlinthetombsV2

Diana

spoiler:
    You enter the low secret door where the vases are,
    go down into the small waterlogged tunnel. Keep looking up
    at the tunnel's ceiling, just before you make a right turn,
    there will be an opening you can mantle into. Once you do,
    you will pass through another small secret door into a locked
    tomb. Pick the lock and you will see a room lit by 1 torch, put
    out the torch but dont let the lantern carrying
    Hammer spot you! Ease into the room when he leaves and
    you will see two other sets of locked doors you can pick to get
    into other tombs. Look to your right and you can see the
    double doors that lead to the Haunt area in the distance
    (the ones with mines and a explosive charge in front of them).
    Before the Hammer gets back, shoot a fire arrow down there,
    and you'll be rewarded by a huge explosion! Enjoy seeing the
    chaos that follows, but stay hidden!

I've been fascinated by Ai fights in Thief since the first time I found the
    lower stairway with 2 Hammers in Cragscleft! A pursuing zombie
    went after them and got smashed, I've been hooked ever since!

In Thievery, I'm also notorious for letting the red spiders out!
    Last edited by John D.; 23rd Oct 2002 at 18:08.

Taking a break
    How's version 2 going guys? No more problems with the keys I hope!

Thanks John D I did miss that. BTW, I "stole" one of those explosive charges through the door from the haunt side.

I like what you are hooked on so keep it comming, please.

"Thievery?" Forgive my ignorance but that is another game right?

I finally finished it this evening after dark and I second Diana's "Wow!". What a fantastic mission, JohnD! I played the first version, but because I'd seen the posts about the key problem, I just didn't touch the gray key and so I had the key I needed to finish the mission. This is a mission that I will probably play a number of times, as I'm sure I missed all kinds of things. Thank you so very much!

Taking a break
    Thievery is a multiplayer mod for Unreal Tournament, I play it once in a while
    but I really havent got to it much recently due to my dromeding. There's
    a level where a bonus objective for the thief players is flipping a switch
    to let several MEAN red spiders loose from their cages! I go for it every time!
    It's fun hearing the guards yell as they get eaten up
    (only problem is the spiders will get YOU if you get too close!)

Thanks for the praise Nightwalker! With the second version out, the
    key problem should be taken care of, when you get it, grab the grey
    key and you'll get to see your fellow thieves in action!

Stunning
    Hmm, got the old version twice, heh. Downloading new one now

Pssssssst John D come here, please. I have to ask you a question.

spoiler:
    The cream key opened the exit door just fine. I left the gold skull in the hideout so I could explore the lake just for fun. There are 8 thieves in the hideout to start, but then when I went back there were 10 spaced throughout that end of the tomb all with lanterns. Is their appearance the "event" triggered by the grey key? If so it seems to have happened when I picked it up, and since I had already cleared the tomb of undead the poor guys had nothing to do. Then to my surprise 5 haunts had mysteriously appeared between the guard station and the blue lit room so I got their attention (whhhhiiiit hey guys!!) and lead them to the thieves who took care of them for me.

Done, now with all loot WAYOO!!

This was the most fun I've had in a LONG time. Shhhh! Don't tell my husband, ok?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast