TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruins of Originia FM1: Mines of Margroth (Oct. 27/2002) support

The Watcher -

The gems appearance is triggered by:
    spoiler:
    reading a scroll in one of the rooms near the switch to the mines where Garrett says, "There that ought to do it." It's an auto-read scroll and it will trigger a new objective.

But here's a suggestion for a little extra fun:
    spoiler:
    leave the Hammers alive and standing, read the scroll, make a niose when you are at the switch alcove, then run like hell to a dark spot, let the Hammers/Mages and the Gem duke it out, knock out the survivors. When I did it the Gem was on the floor waiting for me and only one Mage survived.

As for that hole by the Sentry Iron Beast:
    spoiler:
    You should come up through that hole from somewhere else with the help of a rope arrow. Hint: look in the town area for a very dark room. You can push the large boulder and get at the goodies under it. Just be sure to save right before because theres a chance of getting stuck if you didn't push the boulder far enough. Then break through the boards and go for a swim.

HUGE HINT: there are things in this mission that you will miss because there is NO way to have know you should have done them. Unless you radomly go around blowing things up with fire arrows you will miss supplies and routes. This is the coolest mission! There are things in here that I have never seen, have never done, and would never have thought of if it weren't for the walkthrough. Yes I know, you want to do it on your own, so did I and for the most part I did (so far). But as I told Terry (YcatX) after 3 hours of playing I knew that if I didn't check to see what I had missed I would be to far to go back. SO, do a section, check the walkthrough. It is arranged in sections and you can check only what you want. That's my in-put anyway.
    I told my husband that I was downloading the patch for Thief. He said, "Good! It's about time you kicked that addiction."

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Audio problems...

YcatX, I'm having some problems with the audio....

When I first entered the large chamber at the beginning (after coming down the entrance shaft), I got some terrible feedback which turned into a droning whine kinda noise. It's REALLY loud and overwhelms all the normal game sounds. It didn't go away until I shut down T2 and restarted. Unfortunately it came back when I loaded my game, so I restarted (I was only 1 minute into it thankfully). It didn't happen again ingame, but then every time I went to Options > Audio it started again, and I had to quit and reload game (but not restart T2 at least).

After a third restart, I think I've determined that disabling EAX in the audio options has eliminated the problem. I disabled it and restarted and didn't see the problem, although if I go to audio options and enable EAX it comes back, but I just toggle it off and it goes away again. I've played plenty of other FM's with EAX on, so I'm wondering if it could be something in the mission settings or the sound files? Or is it just my sound card perhaps? I did notice that on the third try, with EAX turned off, for the first time I heard the drumbeat ambient near the big statue in middle of the big chamber. Maybe it was causing the whining noise with EAX turned on?

Anyway, I wanted to get this info out there for other taffers who might hear the loud whining noise and come here for help -- turn off EAX and it will hopefully go away.

Re: Audio problems...

Are you using XP?

I don't know why it does that? It does have something to do with the EAX. I think its the room-brushes EAX that is screwed up. It occures on one of my computers. I think it is an XP thing... But a total mystery...

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher
    I've got the map and cleaned out the HQ in the process - including getting all the fire arrows, nice to see Fire Elementals again.. I didn't check down the hole near the disabled combatbot though, perhaps I should do that now.. I've hit the switch that triggers the gate to the mines and then gone over to the mining town. I looked around for a while and then all hell broke loose in the bar, so I decided to leave everyone to kill each other and went over towards the mine entrance (avoiding the bug-spitter - why kill something that'll take out guards for me? ) Now that the pandemonium has calmed down I suppose I should go back to the town... although I may just start again because that gem Ethne mentioned earlier appeared at one point but I reloaded my game and it hasn't turned up again.. should it have by now?
    GULP..

okay..

Gem of Oldorf:
    spoiler:
    The gem of Oldorf is in the vault with is opened when you read a book about the Gem in the Hammerite Priests bedroom.. (It breaks out when the door is opened..)

The town:
    spoiler:
    You can do the same thing with the assassins... KO a few of the archers, steal all the keys, and you can have a fun time... Also you can lure Bantar's Bug-lady out to fight the guards... Get all the guards to chase you, and run circles around the pillars.. Get the Bug-lady to shoot at you, and it will the posse behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by diana50322
    HUGE HINT: there are things in this mission that you will miss because there is NO way to have know you should have done them. Unless you radomly go around blowing things up with fire arrows you will miss supplies and routes. This is the coolest mission! There are things in here that I have never seen, have never done, and would never have thought of if it weren't for the walkthrough. Yes I know, you want to do it on your own, so did I and for the most part I did (so far). But as I told Terry (YcatX) after 3 hours of playing I knew that if I didn't check to see what I had missed I would be to far to go back. SO, do a section, check the walkthrough. It is arranged in sections and you can check only what you want. That's my in-put anyway.
    Thanks! .... That is why I only require loot of 50% of the total... I have quite a bit of loot in the first part... Most of it is on the side, and has NOTHING to do with story-line/objectives... UPPER MINES (That did contain a connecting point to Bantar's Throne Room before he collapsed it..) just has extra-loot and exposure to the Red and Blue Fiends... I later missions they buggers will take over a town, with several other NASTIES that first appear in the other missions (Guilded Rivalry, Fire and Ice, and Ashes to Ashes)... I'm going give Garrett the ability to summon Avenging Spirits with corpses and items... But thats in the final mission... All loot is accounted for...

Quote Originally Posted by YcatX
    Are you using XP?

I don't know why it does that? It does have something to do with the EAX. I think its the room-brushes EAX that is screwed up. It occures on one of my computers. I think it is an XP thing... But a total mystery...
    The same thing happens in a few games on XP - I know of the problem in Hitman 2 and NOLF 2 at least. I'm certain it isn't anything you've done YcatX, or a problem in your level - it works perfectly on my win98/SBLive! 5.1 box. It seems to be an XP problem when using some EAX presets
    Last edited by The Watcher; 1st Nov 2002 at 10:25.

Originally posted by The Watcher
    The same thing happens in a few games on XP - I know of the problem in Hitman 2 and NOLF 2 at least. I'm certain it isn't anything you've done YcatX, or a problem in your level - it works perfectly on my win98/SBLive! 5.1 box. It seems to be an XP problem when using some EAX presets
    I started changing them to Normal Room EAX settings and it fixed it.. But I didn't want to make EVERY room sound like that... so I stopped... and blamed XP...

Thank you for sharing this mission YcatX

I'm having a great time with this mission, I'm probably spending a lot more time than what you're supposed to (thanks for not setting a timelimit!), I like exploring - and there's so much to explore in this mission pack....

I wasn't able to get the fish though! they highlighted, but I couldn't grab them....

A couple of questions:

Am I supposed to be able to get through the window labeled TRICKS?

What are the white whirlwind kamikaze thing? How do I get even with them?

Gramma - keep watching my back in this one, it's spooky in here

Love the music in the mines! I was quite enjoying myself, wandering around whistling til I stepped on a mine That will teach me

Originally posted by McEve

Yes.

Those are Will-o-the-wisps. Sword, blackjack, fire arrow, holy water...
    Just a girl wishing for the old days

Quote Originally Posted by McEve
    I wasn't able to get the fish though! they highlighted, but I couldn't grab them....
    (odd... Did you kill them and pick up the floating corpse.. Also.. You can always push a fish from the wall (expect for the puffer fish...?)

A couple of questions:

Are you talking about the window that you bash?

Evil Wisps.. (or what I call Spirit Elementals)... Yea.. The pesky little buggers..

spoiler:
    The are undead use area effect attacks (Fire Arrows, HolyWater, and Flashbombs)

Quote Originally Posted by Yametha
    Yes.

Those are Will-o-the-wisps. Sword, blackjack, fire arrow, holy water...
    TAG!... you're it... I'm gonna go run and hide now...

How do I get even with them?

spoiler:
    I found moss arrows to be the ultimate revenge on the buggers! One arrow and they're gone

Fun fun fun

spoiler:
    hmm.. I'll go and exert some violence on that window

OOOOOHHHHHH... The Air Elementals... Sorry... I got confused... Yea... That is the ONLY way to get them before impact!

Originally posted by YcatX

TAG!... you're it... I'm gonna go run and hide now...
    I'm it?!? What did I do?
    Just a girl wishing for the old days

I am in dire need of help

Ok, those stupid red and blue guys in the mines, are they the shadow burricks? How can I kill them. I was just shuffling around in the dark, minding my own business, when they started to attack me. One of them pushed me down the icy stairs (because the bastard followed me) and I fell down a shaft and died. (It was the blue guy. I was using fire arrows on him, but it didn't seem to have any effect.)

Thank you for any help you can provide. HELP!

Is it just my imagination - or are the blue ones smarter than the red ones? I seemed to have much more trouble avoiding the blue ones...Where a red one could walk straight past me, the blue one would find me...

spoiler:
    Defense: Frog beast egg - sword - flashbombs....probably more too

YcatX.....It's a good thing your NOT my neighbor because I would be tumping your head with my cane.

Re: I am in dire need of help

Quote Originally Posted by Ethne
    Ok, those stupid red and blue guys in the mines, are they the shadow burricks? How can I kill them. I was just shuffling around in the dark, minding my own business, when they started to attack me. One of them pushed me down the icy stairs (because the bastard followed me) and I fell down a shaft and died. (It was the blue guy. I was using fire arrows on him, but it didn't seem to have any effect.)

Thank you for any help you can provide. HELP!
    spoiler:
    Swords are the best... And take on only one at a time. (If possible...) Walk backwards while swinging your sword. Keeps you out of the explosion when fighting in melee... Fiends are IMMUNE TO FIRE!!! They are mechanic hell-spawn from the Plane of Hellfire... (Don't worry I don't send anyone to Hellfire... Its a very disturbing place.. I have a planes diagram somewhere on my site...)

I simply could not figure out what to do next, so I confess - I had a peek at a walkthrough ...

It says "don't flip the switch in the merchant area room" - well, I have and didn't run over to the hall of lost heroes straight away. The gates are closed.... Please don't tell me I have to go back to an earlier save?!

Any way out of this situation?

McEve....does't this just drive you nuts????? I said I would watch your back...but I can't find it LOLOLOLO.

Help, help, HELP!!!!

Yes, I'm shouting on purpose.

When trying to get to Bantar's lab I had shot at the target thingies.( According to the walkthru you are supposed to place 4 rope arrows, then drop and grab onto other ropes) I keep getting dead. I could only find 3 targets to shoot at before going out a window. So instead of going down the ropes I took a running leap across the water , caught a rope and lowered myself down to a hole. It worked great but I'm obviously in the wrong place because I come out into an art gallery and the mission ends, without finding the journal or the hall of mirrors etc. I'm very confused. I've tried over and over again, even using slowfall and that is the only place I can get to. I even tried placing a rope in the target that shows from the entrance to the art gallery but can't get to it and there doesn't seem to be any place to go if I did get to that rope.

Can I still go on to the next chapter if I miss this objective? I really hate to have any place that I havn't explored, so if you can give me some help I will really appreciate it.
    Great mission!!! I can't wait to see what you've come up with around the next corner. It is sooooooo complex with so many surprizes and innovative twists.

Lynx67:
    spoiler:
    Actually.... Only three NEEDs to be planted to cross. The others is to cross BACK... Two need to be planted into the North Wall. One, across from the Entrance gate, and the other, across from the little room that had the window (and a blacksilver Nugget (Those dark grey stone loot).. The last is above the entrance (fired from the other window, (if you look carefully you can sometimes see the fourth one)).. Once those three are placed.. Save...(The T1 version was not as deadly.. The engine behavior was much different)

Behind the gate is a little niche. Inside is slow fall potion... You don't need to drink it, but it can make life easier.. Climb on the rope... SLOWLY climb down... and when you reach the bottom.. Climb down with the potion active.. After you fall into the red water drink the potion... Then you will be on the other rope... Slowly climb down, and this one isn't as deadly... Slowly drop off the end of the rope.... And you should be next to the exit hall...

McEve:
    spoiler:
    You can use the explosive devices to knock open Viper VI tomb...

help

Is there a way to make it through the Margrothian Crystal tunnels without dying? I have no health potions left, and I can't seem to make it to Bantar. Any suggestions?

Do you have any breath potions?

If so use them... and go a bit slower...

Also eat some white fish corpse.. They heal you like the FRUIT too... Also there are some other fish that act like food (so if you eat a bunch you may gain a shield or two)...

You can make it without a breath potion, but you cut it very close...

I feel pretty stupid

Even when looking at the map that points out where the 5 buttons I should press, to get to the throne room are, I still can't find them.. The one on the wall is no problem, and I found a button behind the orange plate in the wall where the map says button 5 and 6 are. Part from that, in the two small rooms, a blue plate in the ceiling that do not respond to anything I do - and one grey plate in the ceiling where button 1 is, that also give no respons to frobbing throwing the gem at it or arrows or - or - or - or - Aaargghhh. What am I doing wrong...?

spoiler:
    Okay.. Lets name these rooms:

Cyclops Room
    Merged Hall
    Small Chamber North
    Small Chamber South

1) Press Button(on wall) in cyclops room
    2) Shoot/hit button in cealing in Sm Chamber North
    3) Shoot/hit button in cealing in Sm Chamber South
    4) Shoot/hit button in cealing in Cyclops Room

Now in the Merged Hall two hatches open (North and South)
    Shoot the North button to open two double rotating doors
    Shoot the South button to close two double rotating doors

I hope this helps...

Thanks, I'm upstairs now

I never realized how important all the scrolls and books with info and hints in them are until now

Still very enjoyable mission

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast