TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruins of Originia FM1: Mines of Margroth (Oct. 27/2002) support

Originally posted by paulben
    I've been thinking the same thing, YcatX...either that or they better invent a Platinum hammer rating for you...I haven't played enough of ROO to say that in all fairness, but this mission is really OUTSTANDING so far.
    Thank you

I could NOT have done it with the assistance of some VERY talented people. (Listed in the credit.avi) Yametha, Shadowspawn, Raetsel, Nameless Voice, and my most excellent voice actors. Without them I would just be a madman tinkering with a simulator. The band Seluah too, old friends from my neighorhood that expressed the sound that was the setting and mood that made my AVIs what they are today.

Since this is only a 4 mission "cliff-hanger", I still got the other missions that gets really strange (um..er.. STRANGER then these)... However, I don't know how this will really be rated. Many people think it is too hard, or too complicated, or even too big. From what I understand this mission(s) will treated as ONE MISSION, but I totally disagree. Just because you link them together into one ZIP, I think each part of the whole is a COMPLETELY different mission.

I'm close to spitting out a few more missions, but classes and fatherhood really tied my hands lately. SQL and ColdFusion (.cfm) can be a pain. Especially when you are not completely sure on the syntax.

Someday, I would like to make my Refuge of the Apocalypse genre, but I may save those for a paying "gig".

Anyway, I gota get back to SQL/CF land (before my "free" time expires...)

(I hate it when I mispell words)

OK, can't figure this out, and afraid to look around too much as thar be spoilers:

I'm in the mine tunnels and I've just come to a big rock that I can't seem to destroy...when I go down the ramp after it, it rolls down very quickly and kills me. How do I get past this? If the only way is a speed potion, I'm screwed, as I used that already.
    Interrogation Technologist,
    Clan Larcenio Haul
    "We Haul Assets"

paulben -
    spoiler:
    Just hug the wall as you walk down and the boulder misses you.

Many thanks, Nightwalker.

spoiler:
    I later noticed the three smaller boulders up above me...those were red herrings, weren't they? Because I blew them all up and still got smushed.
    Clan Larcenio Haul
    "We Haul Assets"

Wait untill you see the other "surprises" I have in Guilded Rivalry...

I originally wanted a kinda Indiana Jones gettin chased by a rolling boulder, but not everything can me done with Dromed2...

Still I wish I could have gotten my skii jump idea to work...

Oh my God, you sick, sadistic person. Can't find a single freaking area in these mines that doesn't contain SOME NEW ENTIRELY FREAKISH MONSTER THAT MAKES ME WANT TO URINATE MYSELF.

Bahahaahah

I mean, seriously. This mission should come with a warning label. "May cause heart failure, seizures, or immediate death." Those ghouls scare the hell out of me.

I am so reviewing this mission for TheCircle.

Well... Its really hard...walkthroughs are on my site...

Also... as a suggestion.. Don't think of "reality" as the same in my mission.. I changed that a bit...

Example somethings are "reusable".. others are explodable...

Good luck!

(I did the Ghoul Voices.. also.. Click on Credits and it will play my avi...)

Originally posted by Ghandaiah
    Oh my God, you sick, sadistic person. Can't find a single freaking area in these mines that doesn't contain SOME NEW ENTIRELY FREAKISH MONSTER THAT MAKES ME WANT TO URINATE MYSELF.
    YcatX, I think that's the highest compliment a mission designer could ever receive. AND, I couldn't have said it better.

By the way, I'm gonna really wimp out here and ask this fraidy-cat question:

What is the best weapon to deal with the Ghouls? I tried holy water and fire arrows and they basically thumbed their noses at me. I am too chicken to go through everything and see what works best.

Could you tip me off? please? thank you!!
    Clan Larcenio Haul
    "We Haul Assets"

spoiler:
    Large Multi-head explosives work the best with conjuction of a mine..

Use an energized coal-cystal with a mine... Drop the ECC and then drop a mine... Works best if you can plan your attack and ambush them.. Drop the ECC then get them to chase you to the ECC where you throw the mine a head of you and get past it before you trigger it..

A few fire arrows kill them.. Flash bombs, and holy water... Hey are just much stronger then Zombies and Skeletons...

Tricks is to avoid them, or disarm all the active mines and use them against the Ghouls with all the "hidden ECCs that are around"... Umm..4 or 5 hidden about...

Dont use the Explosive charges, unless you want to make it impossible to win, if you fail to make the sprint to the open door before the cystals explode....

Go through the tombs laying mines and nipping into alcoves when they come past. When they're all riled up by the mines, come out with your sword.

In my opinion, if you don't get the ghouls with your sword, you're missing one of the best bits of the game!
    Just a girl wishing for the old days

Thanks guys!

Oy, Yametha, that prospect scares me almost as much as Azal's screenshot of teasing the furious treebeast stuck in a doorway in his "Strange and Unusual" thread, but I'm willing to try it!
    Heck, what did God put F12 there for, anyway?
    Clan Larcenio Haul
    "We Haul Assets"

Re: Thanks guys!

Try taking on the Cyclops or Shadowbeasts with a sword...

Re: Re: Thanks guys!

Originally posted by YcatX
    Try taking on the Cyclops or Shadowbeasts with a sword....
    suuuuure..
    through dromed

Re: Re: Re: Thanks guys!

Originally posted by raetsel

suuuuure..
    through dromed
    Yea.. You can't run from ShadowBeasts, and the Cyclops will have hit you 3 times before your body hits the floor...

Should I have anymore Cyclops or ShadowBeasts in later missions?

Cyclops were servant-race to the AncientOnes (Now degenerated into Hulks)

ShadowBeasts are Pawns of the Dark One.. And..Well.. after AtA, I don't know how to bring them back... Maybe have a mage that summons them?

must have more shadowbeasts!! they scare the crap out of me!
    (well, unless you have some more new creepy things like them up your sleeve... )

i do love the looks of those
    spoiler:
    mushrooms!!

can't wait for that!

i just got thief gold (had only regular old tdp & 2 before), btw... and now the mage towers (which has me seriously aggravated for that elevator bug in it but is otherwise really neat) is really reminding me of your stuff

Umm...YCatX...the texture brush that you used for the terrarium room walls? The plant with all the leaves? Is that what it looks like?

Um.. If you are talking about the one behind the Ancient Temple in Mines of Margroth? Yea.. I guess, does the texture have a seam or something? I was trying to get a repeating leaf motif, that was to mainly be kind of a mockery of a natural wall. I wanted it to look painted, but perform LIKE a vegitation texture (Attach rope).. Or like wall paper..

Original story line that part of the chambers had an undead dragon, so I turned it into a "shocking" contract to the room before... But remember each "level" has a theme... That level is called "TRICKS", and had more "deadly" traps that I omited because it would really piss people off (even the MAD THINKERS).. I didn't want to make it anymore difficult than it is...

Its an engized series where direct confrontation is often both encouraged and discouraged. It is best played twice, where there is a fact finding mission (hiding places, danger zones, etc) and the other is a "clean run through..."

But its radically different I'm afraid, with a mixed response..

Quote Originally Posted by YcatX
    Um.. If you are talking about the one behind the Ancient Temple in Mines of Margroth? Yea.. I guess, does the texture have a seam or something? I was trying to get a repeating leaf motif, that was to mainly be kind of a mockery of a natural wall. I wanted it to look painted, but perform LIKE a vegitation texture (Attach rope).. Or like wall paper..
    Heh. Um, no. There was no seam. I guess it was just an amusing accident...the plants on that texture have seven leaves, meaning that they're cannabis sativa. I figured it was an easter egg for the plant-loving pagans on the forum...

But its radically different I'm afraid, with a mixed response..
    Don't get discouraged that some people don't like your missions. Ruins is so interesting. And it's really difficult. Personally, most missions, in the game or fan-made, aren't much of a challenge to me at this point. And only a few missions are truly original. This mission is set as much in your own campaign world as the Thief world, so maybe that's why some people don't like it. Who knows, and why worry about it? Ruins of Originia is challenging (to put it mildly), it's unique, it's very pretty in places, and it's cool.

Are you still working on more levels?

Yep...

I'm still working on the prequel to Mines of Margroth (To give the player more info on whats up in the mines...), as well as the on AFTER Ashes to Ashes..

Ack.. Okay... Status:

FM0: Hook line and sinker (80%)-(Apache donation reworked)
    FM1: Mines of Margroth (v7.0)
    FM2: Guilded Rivalry(v7.0)
    FM3: Fire and Ice (v7.0)-1 FIX needed
    FM4: Ashes to Ashes (v7.0)-2 FIX needed
    FM5: Thinner(60%)
    FM6: Rock and a Dark Place(60%)
    FM7: DarkWood(60%)
    FM8: Sacrifice(25%)
    FM9: Eye for an Eye(5%)
    FM10: Crossing Over(25%)
    FM11: Deadmen Walking(5%)-(Modified map of Sacrifice)
    FM12: Knock knock(5%?)-(Modified map of Thinner)

Whew....

BTW: If you look carefully, I even have a map of FM8 in my avi's.... Only Yametha spotted it and asked me about it..

By the time FM12 rolls around I'll turn it full circle...
    Last edited by YcatX; 26th Nov 2002 at 23:46.

I can't really help you make levels, but if you need any more voices done, let me know. My roommate has a voice very similar to Garrett's...

In which mission do the shadowbeasts first appear? I've just started Mission 3, "Fire and Ice", and from the description of them as terrifying I don't think it likely that I already ran into one and didn't realize it. I tell you, I don't even know what they look like and they've already scared me plenty, looking around every corner for something mentioned with dread on these forums! hehe

You just can't beat the atmosphere of the Ruins of Originia. It's not possible!

The shadowbeasts are summoned in FM2 (When the Dark One is released), and catch up to Garrett at the start of FM4... Ashes to Ashes...)

Thanks for your wonderful reply...

I KNEW that Dark One was trouble...I mean, just look at that talisman, come on!!

Thank you for the heads-up...I mean, I love surprises, but I think I've got quite enough of those without one of them being a fainting spell from coming around a corner and bumping into one of those things unexpectedly!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast