TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrett's Nightmare d/l ready

Garrett's Nightmare d/l ready

Wow,

I actually did it, crossed the first hurtle by actually releasing my very first
    FM!!

Check it out, let me know what you think

You can get it here:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/wells/954/thief.html
    ~~vv~~ Deadwrite ~~vv~~

Downloading.

this is a fun fm...
    great job! especially for a first time (geesh, you did that quick too!

Well I seem to be stuck already. I got past the hall of metal grating and reached the room with the 3 guards and all the doors.

spoiler:
    I killed the 3 guards, and went down the hall to 3 more doors. I cleaned out the 3 rooms with no damage, but now the hall is full of ghosts. I have the water arrows and the 3 vials of Holy Water, but the ghosts keep killing me before I can even get half of them. They seem to see me even in the shadows. And after this comes the room of spiders (yeech). Has anyone made it past the ghosts? How'd you do it?

spoiler:
    I had hoped to avoid the room of spiders, but it seems like you have to go in there to proceed, is that true, or can I avoid it?

That is, if anyone else has made it this far.

running... heh
    spoiler:
    and no, you can't avoid them... but if you don't let them see you too soon, you can run around the edges of the room and get by them ok...

Wonderful! A new FM is always good news. I'm off to DL now

Gone, but never forgotten
    Downloading now

Originally posted by BadArm
    Well I seem to be stuck already. I got past the hall of metal grating and reached the room with the 3 guards and all the doors.

spoiler:
    I killed the 3 guards, and went down the hall to 3 more doors. I cleaned out the 3 rooms with no damage, but now the hall is full of ghosts. I have the water arrows and the 3 vials of Holy Water, but the ghosts keep killing me before I can even get half of them. They seem to see me even in the shadows. And after this comes the room of spiders (yeech). Has anyone made it past the ghosts? How'd you do it?

spoiler:
    I had hoped to avoid the room of spiders, but it seems like you have to go in there to proceed, is that true, or can I avoid it?

That is, if anyone else has made it this far.
    BadArm,
    the ghosts:
    spoiler:
    As I have done it many times, you can either take them out with the water arrows/holy water as they enter that room through the door, or you can just run right past them all, since you now do not need to return to this area.. P.S. YES, I designed them to SEE you, do you really think a ghost, especially in your dreams, is night blind? and don't forget, if your really chicken, you do have a vial of invisibility, this makes the dash past them too easy

the spiders:
    spoiler:
    the first spiders you reach you should deal with harshly, or their will be too many later on. Simply douse the torches first and eliminate the 4 spiders and one in back with ease. As far as the ones "above" you can deal with them if you want, a couple gas arrows comes to my mind since they are grouped pretty tightly, Or you can just run in and jump down the spider hole. "you do have a Slow Fall potion if this scares ya, you could use a rope arrow as well but not as quick. One to a few spiders may follow you down, but thats a lot better than All of them

When you get further you may think your stuck because you can't reach the ice tunnel to return the way you came! Find another way, trust me it's there
    ~~vv~~ Deadwrite ~~vv~~

DL'd....will get to it very soon.

EDIT:

Just finished. Fun.
    spoiler:
    I used the inviso to get past the first hoard.

Nice try with the floor trap. I'm sure you'll get a lot of taffers with this one. But you didn't get me. I had a feeling there would be things like that awaiting me.

Do the power-ups change depending on the buttons you push in the begining? I used all the left ones

Thanks for the change of pace. I thought it was kewl.
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 5th Nov 2002 at 10:18.

When you get further you may think your stuck because you can't reach the ice tunnel to return the way you came!
    spoiler:
    even though i found the other way... i stacked zombie torsos up to get back in the ice tunnel

Originally posted by SlyFoxx

Do the power-ups change depending on the buttons you push in the begining? I used all the left ones

Thanks for the change of pace. I thought it was kewl.
    Yes SlyFoxx there are 8 possibilities, some good, some not so good IE: ala charlie Brown trick or treating "I got a rock", some very bad!

Raetsel, leave it to you you would find your way around the trickest trap!
    of course eventually you need to go into that "other way" to complete the mission
    ~~vv~~ Deadwrite ~~vv~~

I did this in the Game text, but I feel I need to do it here as well, because without these
    people's help, I could never have made it through this DroMed learning process! and instead of a completed FM, there would only be dust here!

Credits: I first and foremost want to thank Komag! without Komags tutorial, I would
    have never gotten this far even. Also I utillized my version of Komag's Trap
    tutorial in the mission, thanks Komag.

Thanks To: (in no particular order) Hit Deity, YcatX, GayleSaver, GOB, Jake, OptimusPrime,
    Lady Rowena, Rob Hicks, Madwolf, Telliamed, Kfort, Bumbleson, Mortal Monkey,
    Shadowspawn, Charon, Danventry, Digital Nightfall, Raetsel, Eepcat, Yametha,
    Alexius, Datoyminaytah, Gingerbread Man, Thumper, Dark Arrow, Uncadonego, Yandros,
    Hex, Justice01, SatansBalogna, Jocke, Greg9001, William The Taffer, Daxim,
    Antonio5Michalis
    For either answering questions I poised in the forum directly or by being the author
    of the answers I found in a search! Without you, I may still be a mindless
    user playing Diablo or WarCraft
    If I missed anyone, it wasn't intentional, so accept my apology.
    ~~vv~~ Deadwrite ~~vv~~

Fun mission, Deadwrite . I liked the premise and the way it ended. I encountered one problem though:

spoiler:
    I got a rock. But seriously, I couldn't open the door just past the mechanist area. The grey key makes the "wrong key" sound, but when I try the lockpicks I don't hear a click or anything.

Seems I'm the only one. Anyhow, great stuff. Hope there's something else in the cooker.

Originally posted by despoiler
    Fun mission, Deadwrite . I liked the premise and the way it ended. I encountered one problem though:

I got a rock. But seriously, I couldn't open the door just past the mechanist area. The grey key makes the "wrong key" sound, but when I try the lockpicks I don't hear a click or anything.
    Yes Despoiler, it's true it doesn't make the click sound when you try to lock pick it and I couldn't figure out why, but even if you did hear it it wouldn't help, there is Another key, a Blue key that you need to find to open that door with..

of course, you must have found it, because you said you like the way the mission ends, and it won't end if you don't get through that door
    ~~vv~~ Deadwrite ~~vv~~

You know what I've noticed about this community? ...Not many people offer negative criticism... Praise is nice, and every FM author certainly deserves support for making missions, but one can support said author while offering constructive criticism at the same time...

Now, I do like your FM, Deadwrite, and would certainly encourage you to continue building them (because frankly, this community can't get enough. ) ...However, I'd also like to explain some things that you perhaps could improve on with future projects.

- Architecture. I understand, of course, that this is supposed to be Garrett's dream, but you can probably do better than square rooms, square hallways, cylindrical tunnels, etc... Instead, let's see some more spiral lava staircases (perhaps my favorite architectural feature of the mission), and so on.

- Texturing. Many of the textures just didn't make sense or were poorly aligned. Again, I understand the whole dream thing, but a repeating tomb/corpse texture on all four sides and the ceiling of a room just looks weird. Try to get some more interesting detail going.

- Sound. You can really build atmosphere with the right sound... If I recall correctly I think I only heard one atmospheric sound throughout the entire FM...

- Enemy placement... Or just gameplay in general. Maybe this is just me, but when I stumble on a room full of unavoidable spiders, my loins don't exactly quiver in anticipation for the ground-hacking hop-battle which will soon ensue. But, again with that enemy placement... Some of the apebeasts were just facing walls... I'm not real familiar with what fascination may lie in gazing into the ices of the deep, but nonetheless, I'm fairly certain walls get boring to look at after a while...

- Lighting... The mission was entirely too bright in general... Set your ambient light setting down, man...

Hope you don't take my criticism too seriously... Just trying to help you improve your FM building... The mission is a good start, though... And it's good that you're even making missions at all... Also, the fact that your idea was original is always a plus... Good to see DromEd beginners producing something other than Steal Fat Noble X's Y In Mansion Z...

i think constructive criticism is great and everything...
    IF someone asks for it... (which Deadwrite basically did, i think)
    i'm really impressed with his mission because of how quickly he caught on (from questions and such over yonder forum) and got this all done
    it was fun & a nice original idea/nice change & i can't wait to see what else he comes out with

nbrosz
    I am downloading now and will post my reply ASAP... looks good, though!

My thought about the lighting was that it would indeed be Garrett's nightmare to be always in the light...

My current problem is:

spoiler:
    The two mechbeasts killed themselves in the doorway to the first mechroom; and I can't get past them. I found the secret in the previous room, but it seems to lead me back to the beginning with everything respawned. Eek!

No, no, that's great, I DID ask for people to say what they felt... and the points made were quite correct. Of course I remember the first drawing I ever made, it wasn't exactly a Norman Rockwell, but I kept learning and now I do some pretty nice drawings and airbrushing, but I doubt anyone ever grabbed the airbrush, or pencil even for the first time and created a masterpiece.
    I learn from example, by doing, and from criticism.. so please say what you feel.
    I'm 44 years old, so I can take the punishment , but I don't see it as punishment, I see it as lessons. You'll never please everyone, no matter how good you are, but there are certain basics that should always be right, and I need to know what those basics are.
    I did deliberately make this a bit weird, the textures and all, as it states right in the game text file, but even so, I did learn some things from that criticism already, like the too bright lighting, and shapes of things etc etc.. so thanks and keep it coming! Just don't poke fun is all I ask, if it helps me, tell me, if its to embarrass or hurt me.. say it to yourself in the mirror.

So, thanks Ghandaiah
    P.S. whats the names of your missions, I'd like to check them out to see the way it "should" be done!
    ~~vv~~ Deadwrite ~~vv~~

Well, I don't have any FMs presently completed, but I'm working on one that can be seen in this thread... It's no role model, though... I get way too detailed for my own good... Polycounts through the roof...

Originally posted by Jennie&Tim
    spoiler:
    The two mechbeasts killed themselves in the doorway to the first mechroom; and I can't get past them. I found the secret in the previous room, but it seems to lead me back to the beginning with everything respawned. Eek!
    break them up with your sword... just whack them till they break apart so you can move the big piece and get past.

What BLUE key!

Any small hint as to whereabouts of the BLUE key?
    I'am as far as the mech beasts and can't open the door beyond. I already
    have the grey key.

Re: What BLUE key!

Originally posted by Skoalman
    Any small hint as to whereabouts of the BLUE key?
    I'am as far as the mech beasts and can't open the door beyond. I already
    have the grey key.

If you made it this far and did not find another door, (not in Mech area), which was locked, then backtrack and find the locked door you missed, use the grey key on this door...
    The grey key opens the way to the Blue key, nuff said
    ~~vv~~ Deadwrite ~~vv~~

Wow, this mission was a HOOT! Lots of fun.

But geez, it sounds like I missed a lot of things!

spoiler:
    I actually started the mission and then started it over again...good thing, too--the second time I got 4 gas arrows in the button room. Hehh! But the second time I didn't go into the room with the Haunt and the secret. And I don't know what pit you are talking about with the spiders. Any door I couldn't open, I just blasted it with a fire arrow and it opened, all right. So I guess that's how I finished it without all the keys?

Anyway, that was fun and freaky. Nice job Deadwrite! But what grey key? and what lava staircase? Where were these??
    Last edited by paulben; 9th Nov 2002 at 13:25.

Just finished this one. Very good for a first release; I noticed a few technical bugs but nothing major. I hope to see more from you in the future.

I figure that
    spoiler:
    the small door at the bottom of the spiral staircase leads to the frog room but I couldn't figure out how to open it from either side. Any hints?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast