TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruins of Originia FM4: Ashes to Ashes support

They are absent on normal as they are not needed.

Say YcatX's name backwards to get a feeling of intense joy.
    Just a girl wishing for the old days

Thanks Yametha! I'm a little red in the face beings I didn't figure out what YcatX's name meant. I know this is also a pretty stupid question but:

To get the crown jewels do I just pick the lock on the gate? I didn't even think about that. I tried blowing it with a mine and a fire arrow but that didn't work so I figured I needed heavier explosives.

Cool Fan Pack! When are there going to be more to frustrate the H.E. double toothpicks out of me?

That's what the explosive charge is for.

Never mind, you don't need to get those jewels on normal difficulty.

Yea... I'm going to have more "litter"-ger to explain things... Its a doozie!

Actually, I quite like these walkthroughs because they don't give too much away in the sense of knowing what you'll need to hide from, blackjack, or fight.

Gotta new question:

I'm in Ashes to Ashes, playing on expert. I'm in Exhibit 21, the mines, and I can't find the swirly gas thingy that lets you leave! I used up all my mines and fire arrows and finally got the incredibly horribly scary shadow demons killed, only to find that it's a dead end. I found the security area, but I just can't clear it out without getting killed. WAY too many mech beasts and no where to hide.

As always, thank you so much for your help!

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Actually... Your don't have to kill any of them...

The returning mist is in the power room where you start at...

Objects you need are the Ancient Bucket and the explosive device
    (Only on Diff1&2 (hard and expert) )

D'oh!

NOW I remember where I saw it! THANK you!

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Ashes to Ashes...arrrghh!!

Frustration city!
    I got almost all the way to the end of Ashes to Ashes without consulting a walkthrough at all, and then near the end I looked at the walkthrough and it says:

I must throw the Book of Darkness into the alien orb in the pit. However, I can never get close enough to the edge of the pit without actually falling in. I have tried this repeatedly. The best I can do is to lean way over until I see most of the orb, and throw the book (the "drop" key won't work), but it never goes anywhere near the orb. It sails over to the far side of the pit and nothing happens. Is there some trick to getting the book to hit the orb? Should I be standing in a specific place or something?

This part of this mission is the scariest thing I've ever seen. I can't stand to play it; I can't stay away from it! Damn your oily hide!
    Interrogation Technologist,
    Clan Larcenio Haul
    "We Haul Assets"

In the walkthrough there is a screenshot taken from the place you must stand to throw the book in. You need to go down one of those cracks at the very edge of the pit and also avoid falling in.

Thanks, Yametha...I had copied the walkthrough to a text document so I could read it offline and completely forgot that the screenshot could help me--d'oh!
    But I finally got it anyway by doing this:

spoiler:
    I threw all 7 of the mines I was carrying at the orb...with each explosion it moved a little bit more, until it was further out into the middle of the pit, and then I could hit it with the book.
    Interrogation Technologist,
    Clan Larcenio Haul
    "We Haul Assets"

Maybe I should make the Orb Bigger? for version 2?

Ghost

Help -- right at the end

[Nightwalker, YcatX, whoever]

I'm right towards the end of A to A; I've been all through the museum and am on my way to dispose of the book. But I can't seem to get past all these damned shadow demons.

spoiler:
    I killed three or four of them, but there seem to be another three or so all bunched up around the tunnel I have to get into, plus at least one more around the side. I can't slip past them, because of course there is no shadow in that crater, and I'm lit up like a Christmas tree.

I only have eight fire arrows left and either three or four demons; I can't snipe them anyway, because the moment I edge forward enough to see them, they see me and rush over -- all of them. I've also got four mines, five obsidian arrows, and (urk) a sword.

What on earth can I do? Is there some way to sneak past them without them seeing me? I don't want to play Conan the Barbarian with an entire brood of shadow demons.

I don't have any invisibility potion. I have a speed potion, a slow-fall (wow, that's useful), four flashbombs, a flash mine, a gas mine, four mines, a couple bottles of holy water and some water arrows. Is any of this stuff worth spit against these guys? I seem to be DOA every time I try.

(And if I don't kill them all, I'll have to deal with them again on the way back!

Dafydd

spoiler:
    Get them to chase you in a circle and when you go all the way around jump into the tunnel. (The speed potion might help with this.) The trick to note is that it is too high up for them to follow, but they will still hang about. I believe your supplies are adequate now for slaughter.

(If not, well, hopefully someone will suggest plan B. Trying to jump straight in brute force via the speed potion might also work.)

Ghost

Hey, that's a good idea

[JBD]

Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I'll probably have to do it a few times, just to figure out where the tunnel is in relation to where I am. It'll take a few times until I'm able to jump into it -- but at least it's something to try!

Dafydd

strange... I've never heard of this mission before.... where can I download it?

Ghost

Nope.

[Folks]

Nope, can't make it work.

I ran around the central pillar, used both speed potions, but even when I made it back to my rope in the tree (above the tunnel leading to the museum), I couldn't jump onto the rope, and the shadow demons killed me. Over and over.

Frankly, I am just sick of this FM. Once again, it's slash and burn and smash and kill and nothing at all like thief. Ye flipping gods.

YcatX obviously has a great imagination and sense of style... but the missions themselves are, quite frankly, virtually undoable. Even following the walkthroughs -- which I don't really like to begin with -- too many tasks require the sort of "arcade reflexes" that can only be developed by fourteen year olds who get dropped off at the video parlor with a roll of quarters by a mom too busy to deal with them.

I also really got sick of getting "stuck" every fifteen minutes. I don't mean stuck as in not knowing what to do; I had a walkthrough. I mean running near a wall and suddenly finding myself glued to the wall, unable to move away from it, or crouch, or jump, and a sitting duck for any guard who happens along. I got tired of having to reload again and again after being grease-smeared.

These shadow demons are simply absurd:

spoiler:
    invisible monsters that can kill you with one blow, who run much faster than you (about as fast as you can run with a speed potion), and who live in brightly lit but foggy areas where they can see you perfectly, but you can't even spot their smoke trails. And then he packs the crater with about seven or eight of them.

Yeah, right. Maybe somebody who has simply extraordinary combat skills in this game can survive; I can't.

I guess this has just been a colossal waste of my time: I get all the way to the last room, only to find a herd of monsters so tough, it's just impossible for me to make it to the end.

Thanks a lump, YcatX.

I was hoping there was some clever, thiefly way through this room, rather than simply hacking and slashing and doing it five hundred times, until once, by sheer, dumb luck, you make it through. I guess not.

Fine. Bye bye, Ruins of Originia.

Dafydd

Say YcatX's name backwards to get a feeling of intense joy.
    Well i never!

I never noticed that!

SlyFoxx gives YcatX a plate of freshly baked cookies a hug and a quart of %2 milk. Lots of us loved the shadowpuss...am...er shadowdeamons.

Thiefmissions.com

Master Garett, this is part of the Ruins of Originia pack; one place you can grab it from is http://thiefmissions.com/info.cgi?m=Ruins_Originia_v1

Ghost

Shadow Demons

[SlyFoxx]

SlyFoxx gives YcatX a plate of freshly baked cookies a hug and a quart of %2 milk. Lots of us loved the shadowpuss...am...er shadowdeamons.
    Then I assume you found a way around them. Can you share?

Dafydd

Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    I ran around the central pillar, used both speed potions, but even when I made it back to my rope in the tree (above the tunnel leading to the museum), I couldn't jump onto the rope, and the shadow demons killed me. Over and over.
    Wait, jump onto the rope?

I was referring to the tunnel you go into to throw the book. Try getting in there. I thought you meant you hadn't done that yet.

You are also welcome to send your savegame and I'll see if I can come up with something.

Ghost

Tunnels

[jbd]

No, you're correct: I haven't gotten to the other tunnel yet. I used the speed potion and ran round the pillar, but I couldn't spot the opening.

spoiler:
    So I decided to try another approach: I tossed all my soulstones around the entrance to the tunnel to the museum, put a rope arrow into the tree above it (actually, I already had one there), then tried running around the pillar using the speed potions. I was hoping I would get the shadow demons to follow me; I would jump onto the rope and climb up into the museum tunnel... then, since I would be able to see them lurching about below me (because of the soulstones), I could shoot them with well-placed fire arrows. (I also dropped my one remaining explosive charge, hoping that I could save some arrows by waiting until a demon got near the charge, then detonating it with a fire arrow; since three mines kill a demon, I figured one explosive charge should do it as well.) Alas, I could never jump onto the arrow and climb up fast enough to avoid getting killed.

So that's it. I can't find the stupid tunnel on the opposite side; I get killed trying; and I can't lure them to the museum tunnel and climb above them.

I'll try to find a savegame; I'm playing another Thief II FM right now (Abominable Dr. Dragon), but Darkloader saves the savegames, so I should be able to scoop up the appropriate one.

Thanks,

Dafydd

thanks epithumia... downloading now!

Ghost

All right.

[Folks]

With the help of a savegame from Jason Dyer, who was able to kill the remaining demons, I was at least able to finish the game.

I have to say, this definitely belongs in the category of "gigantic FMs that did not impress me overmuch."

The problem is that it's too hard. I don't usually whine about this sort of thing... but the fact is the author felt compelled to write complete walkthroughs for every mission, and that should be a clue that it's just over the top, and not in a good sense.

I like exploring. I like sneaking. I've said before (and I know this irritates some, for which I apologize) that I don't like FMs that feel like an arcade game in a mall, where they depend not upon cleverness but upon finely honed trackball skills and the ability to hit the right buttons in the right order at blinding speed.

The story seems paramount here. All right; then let me register my generic annoyance with stories where the hero does everything right -- and still dies because it was preordained. The story has to be one heck of a lot deeper and the victory more significant for me to accept that.

The author has a tremendous imagination; I would love to see him put it to creating an FM that is challenging without being ridiculous. (Perhaps he already has... has he?)

Dafydd

Wots in a name?

YcatX

hmmm, I thought it had to do with chromosomes and all that.

Funny I didn't pick up on it. And I am dyslexic, no less... there4, everything is ass-backwards to me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast