TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruins of Originia FM4: Ashes to Ashes support

Nope. I think he just means the big black smoke fog that comes from the volcano.

Archivist
    Very muh enjoying this unique mission on Normal difficulty, but right now I'm stuck.

Inside Exhibit 25 (Rainbow Rose) there some kind of plant pot on a rock surrounded by a pond full of kamikaze fish. The pot can be highlighted so I suppose it has a purpose but I've no clue what to do with it. Can someone spoil me?

Archivist
    I'm reticent to consult the walkthrough, as it might tell me more than I'd like to know . But I guess I should in case nobody can give a short answer. Thanks anyway, Sly!

Archivist
    Lol, just opening the walkthrough about AtA was enough of a hint, as I looked at the pic of the Power Cells room that displayed a hidden hatch I overlooked. I found the Clear Mystic Stone and decided to just use it at the flower bed at the Rainbow Rose and the rose grew

On a side note: I would've never located that invisible key in the Power Cells room by myself (that Gem of Oldorf proves invaluable again).

Archivist
    Finished Ashes to Ashes and thereby this incredible Mission pack.

Just like the previous parts, AtA is of an incredible beauty. The crater is impressive due to it's size and travelling through the Museum of the Ancients is a unique and enchanting experience. I won't spoil to much here, just go ahead and play it The many exhibits vary from puzzling to dangerous, and all have something in store for the player. The way of entering each exhibit is quite clever (although it's a bit of a drag to constantly head back towards the Power Cells Room), and explains the purpose of the Mystic stones, and the supporting voice of the caretaker, giving a short synopsis of each exhibit, is interesting to listen to. The museum is quite a maze, but not too difficult to navigate through thanks to the (auto)map. What I don't understand is why some of the exhibit' names on the map light up blue once you visited them, while others remain unchanged. This made me believe there was still something to do in those exhibits. And how did the rock from the entrance to the Orb dissapear? Was it triggered by reading the painting of exhibit 22 (Museum Demise)? It didn't made much sense to me at first, but it's actually pretty clever. This actually opens the way to the orb, which is the final exhibit. But by doing so, isn't the museum actually predicting it's own destruction?.
    Another question: there's quite some equipment to be found in one of the exhibits. Is there some sort of machine present on Expert difficulty, that allows you to make flashbombs etc., just like in Soulforge?

Ashes to Ashes isn't my favorite episode of the four (that honour goes to Guilded Rivalry) but it gets close. It has more content then Fire and Ice and isn't by far as difficult as Mines of Margroth. It's a highly original museum (could this be the museum of the future? ) with plenty to discover, enough loot to be found and several fearsome (new) enemies to deal with. Again, quite some technical achievements are implemented and, naturally, it's packed with custom content that the author is so good at creating.

Statistics AtA
    Difficulty: Normal
    Time: 3 hours 19 minutes 33 sec
    Loot: 6124 out of 9207

YcatX, a BIG THANKS for creating this gem of a series. I hope we see some fixes getting implemented (like the bugs you listed here) and that new parts will arrive sometime. The ending video made me curious to see how this tale continues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    Inside Exhibit 25 (Rainbow Rose) there some kind of plant pot on a rock surrounded by a pond full of kamikaze fish. [...]
    By the way, how did you escape from that place again? I have done what has to be done there, but on my way back up (by climbing the plants on the walls of the shaft where I came in, the plants which are visible when you use the Gem of Oldorf or one of its "siblings") I cannot climb up the last part of the shaft. No matter whether I climb or jump and mantle... one way or another, I always fall down into the water again. What's the magic trick here?

Isn't this a coincidence. I was just thinking of replaying Originia. It's one of my all-time favorite campaigns, perhaps even my favorite of all (although, it's hard for me to decide - it's a toss-up between A Keeper of the Prophecies, Calendra's Cistern and Legacy, and the Arbez Series).

Terry's truly a genius with atmosphere and detail. The story, the architecture, the enemies, the monsters all fit together nicely. I also admit that I find the high difficulty stimulating. It frustrates me just enough, that I want to keep on going and it makes accomplishing the goals extremely satisfying.

I too would love to see this series continued, but that's about as likely as seeing the Trickster's Gem Mine continued (sigh, truly a shame).

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    By the way, how did you escape from that place again? I have done what has to be done there, but on my way back up (by climbing the plants on the walls of the shaft where I came in, the plants which are visible when you use the Gem of Oldorf or one of its "siblings") I cannot climb up the last part of the shaft. No matter whether I climb or jump and mantle... one way or another, I always fall down into the water again. What's the magic trick here?
    There's a wooden post at the top of the shaft with a glowing green patch of moss. You are supposed to hit it with a rope arrow, climb the vines on the side of the shaft and jump to the rope. Tricky, but not impossible.

Lol, just opening the walkthrough about AtA was enough of a hint, as I looked at the pic of the Power Cells room that displayed a hidden hatch I overlooked. I found the Clear Mystic Stone and decided to just use it at the flower bed at the Rainbow Rose and the rose grew
    Cleaver cleaver... I never would have thought that. Damn master keys spoil all my fun... Actually you needed the bucket from one exhibit, take it to another, and use it to grow a new one. Unfortuantely, the only way I could implement things were to use key/lock.

On a side note: I would've never located that invisible key in the Power Cells room by myself (that Gem of Oldorf proves invaluable again).
    Yeah, due to limits in the engine, it would tend to eat key stacks, so when one was destroyed another had to be created in the 'power room'

d. 2014
    never heard of this mission, where do i find it,any help anyone

d. 2014
    thankyou

Good luck, we are all counting on you... Sorry about the dark lighting. It worked fine on my old computer, but very hard to see on my new computer.

(Getting out from the Rainbow Rose/fish pond exhibit)

Quote Originally Posted by metal dawn View Post
    There's a wooden post at the top of the shaft with a glowing green patch of moss. You are supposed to hit it with a rope arrow, climb the vines on the side of the shaft and jump to the rope. Tricky, but not impossible.
    Thanks for your help.

Sigh. Well, after several attempts, I did it, but it was far from being funny.

Playing this one again and I'm almost finished but....

When I throw the book at the orb, I am always killed at the same time as the 'Objective Complete' occurs.

Don't think that's supposed to happen is it?

In a way, it is.

It is extremely difficult to find exactly the right place where one can throw the book and still hit the orb, and then survive the explosion that occurs afterwards (that's what killed you). To be more precise, even when you find the right spot, you still have to run away from the crater immediately after you have thrown the book to its final meeting with the orb. You have to get away before the book hits the orb.

If you want to know where that spot is, uncover the next spoiler.

The right spot to do this is not down in the crater and near the small lake in which the orb rests on a small island. You won't even survive it if you run for cover immediately; the tunnel back up is not safe, let alone any spot near the rim of the lake down here.

Instead, you should go back up the tunnel which you took to get down there, until you reach the ring-shaped walkway around the crater, far above the orb. The right spot is exactly opposite a piece of the shore that stretches towards the orb, far below.

The last spoiler contains step-to-step directions which worked for me. Whether there's a better way to do what has to be done, I don't know - but I certainly didn't find one. In years.

Walk to the edge of the planar part of the walkway, the part which is not tilted towards the hole leading directly down to the orb and the lake. Save your game. Try to lean forward and check whether you're at the right spot. As I said above, it should be on the opposite side of a part of the shore that is comparatively close to the orb. I am not certain anymore whether one can see that part of the shore from the planar part of the walkway, or have to go partway down the tilted rim already. You will have to find that out yourself, I'm afraid.

Anyway... walk or even sneak (but not in a crouched position) to the rim of the hole leading directly down to the lake, and keep yourself ready to press the "back" key to stop Garrett from dropping down. Try to find the last spot where Garrett can still stand (and have fun with Dying & Reloading), then save your game once again, preferably on another save game slot.

Time to practice hitting the orb. I do not remember whether I leaned forward to hit the damned thing or not, but make sure to try both if one approach fails. In order to save a bit of time (and reloading after every attempt at successfully throwing the book down), you can throw other things down, too. They all react in the same way as the book. If you hit the orb with something, you have found your perfect throwing strategy... but will have to reload now, since the orb reacts on being hit: It's pushed away a bit from its former position.

If you have your perfect throwing strategy (including where to aim at in order to hit the orb), reload, grab that cursed book and throw it down. The moment the book leaves your hands, you have to turn around and run back up! One fraction of a second too late, and you get grilled.
    -sigh-

Almost done. Almost... Once you have survived destroying the book, save your game yet again. If you want to, you can use the same slot where you saved during your attempts to find the right place and throwing strategy - when that task has been accomplished, there's no need to go back to a previous saved game anymore.

On your way out, you might slip and fall to your death, that's why you should save. Another reason is... oh well, you will find out soon.

Our guided tour ends here, dear guests. You're on your own again.

Ah thanks. I'd forgotten I had to stand right up at the top

Got out OK coz I spent time killing all the shadow demons before I went in the cave.

It's funny how you can play these missions, then come back a year or so later, play again and have trouble in a place that was no problem first time round.
    Last edited by frobbin hood; 3rd Jul 2012 at 17:43.

Quote Originally Posted by frobbin hood View Post
    Got out OK coz I spent time killing all the shadow demons before I went in the cave.
    There's at least one of them who will appear after you have completed your museum tasks. No idea about his friends, though.

It's funny how you can play these missions, then come back a year or so later, play again and have trouble in a place that was no problem first time round.
    It's less funny if there are several years in between, and you have forgotten many things about the missions. On the other hand, your Thief skills may have increased in the meantime. That's what I experienced when I played the missions again in the last two years, after having played them shortly after the mission pack was published about ten years ago.

Exhibits

It's been only 4 years since this thread has been added to, so what the hell.....

This didn't happen to me the first time around years ago, but this time I've completed all 30 exhibits but didn't get it checked off on the objectives. Consequently, there remains a boulder blocking my access through the tunnel and the final section of the mission. After killing ALL Shadow Demons (round them up, jump up to the first tunnel, turn around, toss explosive device in their tightly bound vicinity, use 1 fire arrow and voila, all dead.) I feel a strong frustration to have gone this far and be blocked.

Am I right in assuming that once the objective to "visit all exhibits" has been satisfied, the boulders disappear? Or does something else trigger that. What can I do to get that objective to check off. I did the circuit again, and all exhibits have been visited.

Have you been to the Museum Demise exhibit? You have to go into the volcano with the book of Darkness after completing your other objectives, and casting it into the vortex. It should be clear after that, it was for me

I can't get into the volcano because there is a boulder blocking the way. It can't be destroyed. If that is what clicks off the objective, then I have to find out how to get rid of the boulder. I know it/they were there at the beginning, but something triggers them to disappear. What has to happen?

The boulders should disappear after you visit the Museum Demise exhibit, I have a feeling that's what you're missing. You then get a new objective to stop the meteor

Here's my objectives screen after completing everything (before actually climbing out)

Thanks Azaran,

I had been to the Museum Demise exhibit already, but I went back to engage it again and this time the objective clicked off. I can't explain why it didn't the first time around.

No problem. I think you have to stay there until the Caretaker finishes explaining it, if I remember

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast