TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM "Iron Man" (11/22/2002)

Distant Quasar

T2 FM "Iron Man" (11/22/2002)

On this 22nd of November, 2002, a new Thief II fan mission has arrived...

"Iron Man" - follow-up mission to Best Defense. Sheriff Winters has assigned you to clean out the mansion of a wealthy iron-works tycoon...

I hope everyone enjoys it - it is available at Epithumia's site:

Epithumia's Cheap Thief Missions page

- eep!

downloading........

Good job, eepcat! I sent you an email about my beta-testing, I hope you found time to correct the errors, right? And I will download the "official version" just now.

Great! I enjoyed Best Defense a lot....I'm off to download now

Good job eepcat
    But i do have a question.

spoiler:
    I have found the vaultkey but know i am standing in front of the vault and the key seems to have disepeard from my invotory, so is there a timer on it or someting??

Distant Quasar
    No, the key is a standard key. I have no idea why you no longer have it. I will have to check it out when I get home today (reason to leave early!). None of the beta testers, nor I saw this behavior, so I'm at a loss. I would go back to a save prior to retrieving the key and see if it happens again.

As far as azrarhn's problem: I for one did not have that problem.

But ... there is a little stone door next to a lift that I have not found a way to open. I have searched the near-by rooms (gaurds quarters, servants quarters, etc.) but have not found a switch. I'm sure it's right in front of my face, and I'm hoping that it contains the 200g in loot that I need to total out. Also I have not been in the window next to the only one that is not locked. I have a fealing that the secret panel and that window are conected. I can hear one lonely hammer talking to himself and he MUST be in there. Can anyone help?
    I told my husband that I was downloading the patch for Thief. He said, "Good! It's about time you kicked that addiction."

Distant Quasar
    diana50322,
    The window is faux and will not get you anywhere. Here are some hints...

spoiler:
    You are right, there is a secret panel next to the lift...the switch is in the guards' barracks across the hall.

spoiler:
    As far as the loot, I think the hardest loot to find is probably the coin box by the Ape Beasts, and there are some coins in the front fountain.

My daughter's crying...gotta go!!!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    eepcat,

I was all set to mail you my comments on the Beta version this morning, when I saw this post! Sorry I took too long, but I'll play the release version and anything I notice that you didn't already take care of I'll pass along, in case you do an update at some point.

Are you planning a C4 entry?

Yan

Dogh!! I'm sorry eepcat. Here I go putting my own needs first again. My husband complains about that too. I meant to tell you that I really enjoyed this mission. Thanks for a taffin' good time once again. And thanks for answering my questions. I got the money from the ape beasts, I thought I checked the fountain but maybe I missed something.

The stars are lovely tonight aren't they!
    I told my husband that I was downloading the patch for Thief. He said, "Good! It's about time you kicked that addiction."

Distant Quasar

C4

yandros,
    I have two small missions planned for the 4th contest...I think that I will be able to complete them in time...with the holidays coming up. Of course, these will delay part three of this trilogy, but I need a fresh, fun break anyway.
    - eep!

From what i've played so far this is a great mission. I'm stuck in the beginning though.
    spoiler:
    I have just found the vault key, but i can't find a way out of the room, the gate i cme through is still closed. Any hints?

Thanks

Hi Dreamer, I just finished that bit and:

spoiler:
    In one of the cells the switch is down, the one to your right and closest to the entry as you come in. Move that lever up, then down again and the entry portcullis will open.

Minor bugs:
    spoiler:
    There seems to be an apebeast torso floating in mid-air next to the pool, near a mushroom. There are also two apebeasts in a far corner, they are fine, make good locators I hope! And when I tried to picklock the door to the little building with the gas mine, I got no noise. That seems to be a frequent problem in all FM's so it must be difficult to do. Oh and I could see the secret door in the hedge all the way from the little building, it doesn't need to be quite so bright I think.

Great mission. I love all the torches outside. Boy was I relieved to see that little building. Finally a dark place to put that body I was carrying around!

Now to break into the house tomorrow. Got to get some sleep, as the kids are sick.

Great job, eepcat
    Finished in expert and enjoyed it very much

Distant Quasar
    Jennie&Tim,
    Wow, that floating Ape Beast is weird...I must have inadvertantly done something to it when I was making beta changes...it's supposed to be patrolling the area, oh well...I can deal with that.

Great Mission!

Just finished on expert. Cool. Thanks for the hard work. Seems you've gotten a better hold of DromEd with this one.

Found most of the loot. I guess what I missed was in that secret place diana mentioned. I got 4/5.

The upstairs ballroom was a bit buggy. Things would appear and disapear depending on my orintation. Examples: The stair railing, moss patches and all the food that I dropped on the floor.

Loved the pool on the roof.

The only thing that bothered me was the mixing of Hammers with Mech technology. Just didn't make too much sence. If the Hammers were replaced by Mechs it would have made more sence. It's a minor niggle though.

Thanks again and I look forward to part three.

SlyFoxx

EDIT: opps almost forgot. Loved the Pink Floyd Scarecrow. Sounds like that organ lick from Arnold Layne. Rick Wright must have really liked that lick as it showed up a few times in Floyd's earlier work. What song was it?....so I don't have to hunt through my whole PF collection.

Looks good so far. EXACTLY where is the switch which opens the panel by the elevator?

Distant Quasar

Panel by lift

For anyone who is having trouble finding the switch to open the panel by the lift...

spoiler:
    The switch to the secret panel by the lift is in the guard barracks across the hall. It is hidden behind the first bed on the right.

- eep!

I'm in the antechamber, but the key isn't appearing. I've pressed all the switches...

[edit] Oh, never mind. Got it. [/edit]

Hey, what's that book mean by 10 steps east to become rich mean? I took ten steps and I ain't rich yet!

This is just the littlest of things but since it looks like you may have other changes to make... one of the armour dressers is backwards. I don't remember what room. I want to say level two on the left.

Yeah that ape beast dude is one hurting unit, but he can still talk! Go figure.

O got a kick out of the wax bean song.

No SlyFoxx the missing loot is not behind the panel I mentioned. Nothing but weapons in there.

I did miss the coins in the fountain. The sun was in my eyes. Now that I have them I am still 100g short.

Just finished, missing about 200 loot and one secret. Quite a good mission. Few minor bugs-

- sliding doors sometimes disappear while sliding into walls
    - that wooden door leading to the are with the big metal grating floor can be battered down (did you mean for this to happen?)
    - the hammer mechanists (the ones by the smelters) couldn't see you for some reason, even if you stood right in front of them
    - the balled up apebeast (did you forget to include the cal file?)

Hmm... That's about all of the bugs I can think of at the moment. Couple suggestions/questions-

- make sure to align some of your textures better
    - I agree with slyfoxx- the mechenist stuff is kinda wierd
    - Why are the hamms guarding the place anyways?
    - lay off the cubes a bit
    - make the victrolas trigger soundtraps, not votraps, so I can get away from that music!
    - check path limits for the elevators to prevent that sort of jittering when you press the same elevator button repeatedly

Hmm... If I were to rate this mission, (1-10, 10=best,)

Archetecture- 4.5 (too many cubes, unaligned textures)

Atmosphere- 8 (pretty good! I felt like it was a real functioning mansion!)

Story- 5 (not much to say. Just another mansion robbery. Some flaws- why the hamms, and what does ironworks and the title ironman have to do with the plot and objectives)

Gameplay- 9 (very fun! I love the secret passageways and puzzles! Guard placement was perfect! Guards were a bit easy to blackjack, though)

Sound- 6 (some wierd roombrushing makes sound a bit choppy and propagation wierd. Can't judge EAX- doesn't work on my PC.)

Completeness- 7 (the bugs make it seem rather unprofessional)

Reviewers Bias +1 (I enjoyed it despite all the bugs)

So that's about 7, so that's 2 silver hammers! Good job!

Sorry if I'm being overly critical (which I am.) Just trying to help for your next mission, which I am looking foward to.)
    Last edited by Jake; 23rd Nov 2002 at 21:14.

I liked the butterbeans song too, it would've been neat to have a scroll with the lyrics on it too. I'm sure there's something I missed about it.

I liked having a map. Looking forward to the next one.

Oh, and when I found the necklace, my two year old insisted that I'd found a bib. She was most firm on the subject. Heck of a fancy bib, but at least it'd wipe clean!

Distant Quasar
    Jake,
    No amount of criticism is too much...unless your OldEye - or whoever that guy was that was complaining about FM originality. To answer a few questions about the mission...

The Hammers were hired by Iron Man to guard the place - Iron Man does not trust the city watch because he knows Sheriff Winters is corrupt (which is why Iron Man is the Sheriff's target).

The mechanists and hammers do not intermingle...they are separated by two doors - the mechanists work, sleep, work, sleep...ad nausea, while the Hammers provide night security.

Whenever I see some great screenshots, I ask myself - "Why can't I do nice architecture like that?" I know that I overload on cubes...I just don't have an eye for good architecture. I think I'll be doing some multi-brushing from OMs for the final mission.

This mission served two purposes...
    1) to expand on the Garrett/Winters relationship by playing one of the Sheriff's assignments.
    2) to introduce two characters that will help complete the story in mission 3 (Iron Man and Trevor Pitts)
    From a player's perspective, this is, like you said, a boring old steal the "xxx" from the wealthy "Mr. XXX", but for my money, good gameplay is my number 1 goal, and you gave it a 9 - so I feel happy as a clam.

Mission 3 teaser: Sheriff Winters sends Garrett on his final assignment - an assassination...they never seem to go as planned.

It seems like most people are having trouble locating all 5 secrets...the one you're probably missing is...

spoiler:
    Along the side one side of the servants' oven.

Now to get started on those contest 4 missions!!! (with less cubage)

- eep!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast