TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: My suggestion about the BJ (Not a joke)

My suggestion about the BJ (Not a joke)

Well, since we all want to make Thievery a bit closer to the Thief series I have a good (in my opinion) suggestion. As you all know a Guard could not be KOed if he was aware that a thief was around. This of course cannot be implemented in the game. Instead we could use this feature: If a thief tries to KO a guard and fails by hitting him elsewere then the guard should be unKOable for 5 seconds. By doing so, the thieves will be forced to use strategy with the BJ instead of teaming up and rush/flashbomb/KO the guards. What's your opinion? (I want constructive criticism here!)
    Last edited by Guard_Master; 4th Jan 2003 at 18:47.

That's actually not a bad idea. But I think a guard should be automatically KO-able if he is flashbanged. After all, isn't that the way it was in Thief?

To tell you the truth Bio I don't know because I've never used a FB in the Thief series. I was ghosting all the levels. Sometimes I was standing on the same spot for 30min+ to see the guard patrol routes, eating pizza and drinking sprite, so if you say that a FBed guard was KOable I will believe you. If, though, we do that in game then there would be no change in the current status at all, correct?

I want more opinions about it ppl!

Re: My suggestion about the BJ (Not a joke)

Originally posted by Guard_Master
    Well, since we all want to make Thievery a bit closer to the Thief series I have a good (in my opinion) suggestion. As you all know a Guard could not be KOed if he was aware that a thief was around. This of course cannot be implemented in the game. Instead we could use this feature: If a thief tries to KO a guard and fails by hitting him elsewere then the guard should be unKOable for 5 seconds. By doing so, the thieves will be forced to use strategy with the BJ instead of teaming up and rush/flashbomb/KO the guards. What's your opinion? (I want constructive criticism here!)
    The blackjack has a 5 second charge up in the 1.2 beta. Before it was always chargable. I think this will just make it harder to not ko guards but not impossible. I like my solution which invovles making the blackjack buy optional. This will make ghosting more approachable because you can get 250 loot instead of the bj.

Originally posted by Guard_Master
    To tell you the truth Bio I don't know because I've never used a FB in the Thief series. I was ghosting all the levels. Sometimes I was standing on the same spot for 30min+ to see the guard patrol routes, eating pizza and drinking sprite, so if you say that a FBed guard was KOable I will believe you. If, though, we do that in game then there would be no change in the current status at all, correct?

I want more opinions about it ppl!
    Not exactly. It would eliminate circle-strafers. The only way to KO a guard would then be to sneak up on them or flashbang them. That's how it was in Thief, I'm just not sure if it would work out for Thievery...

Who knows? I say we trust the dev team to make changes for the better.

Yep

Agree with that holeheartedly. I must admit, these "lets fix something that works" threads are pretty old. The BJ works the way it does because the DEV's wanted it to work that way. If the game removed all theif weapons, would that be realistic? No, if I was a thief, I'd carry alot more than a fricken' bag with rocks in it. Think about that.
    "Passive indifference is as bad as active malice." - Obama
    -| Black Ertai |-

Well Guard_Master, that is not exactly a true statement. You CAN BJ a guard in the original thief series after he has been alerted, it's just very difficult.

You kill him then, but you probably didn't notice because you are (according to your nickname) a mad man.

Originally posted by Omega
    You kill him then, but you probably didn't notice because you are (according to your nickname) a mad man.
    Not necessarily. It could just mean that he's angry.

Or nuts.

Originally posted by Omega
    Or nuts.
    Maybe both?