TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: How did you find out about "Thievery

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Saw it when browsing UT Mods

6 12.50%
  • Played thief originally...Found out that way

27 56.25%
  • Other (if so please explain in this post how you found out)

15 31.25%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did YOU find out about Thievery?

AL GORE clued me in.

Kept talking about this internet thing he invented, and I asked "What good is it?"

I read about it in a small article in PCGamer.It sounded pretty cool and unique.I was sick of playing games/mods with people just shooting each other.Also,I had played Thief a bit before,but this mod made me go out and buy both of the games.

Heard about it and got it at a LAN party.

Originally posted by Thwark
    I made it.
    LOL! Sorry, Omega, that is the best post evar! How did you find out about Thievery? Uhhhhh, I made it. Genius. Pure Genius. I didn't know Llama's had such wit.

Found talk about it on thief-darkproject.com's news section when I was browsing for Thief2 FMs. Then I came to the forum and there were about 10 topics and I was like "Omg, its going to be a while until this comes out."

I recently played my way through UT mods Operation Na Pali and Tactical Ops and I remember reading a small article on Thievery on Planet Unreal whilst browsing for other mods to play.I'd already previously played Thief2 and quite liked the look of the screenshots on display so headed over to the Thievery site and bookmarked it about a month before the mod came out and patiently waited.

The idea of playing Thief in multiplayer intrigued me due to the stealth nature of the game,and despite the excellent immersion levels present in the maps I was a bit disatisfied with the poor texture resolutions of the original Dark Engine used for the Thief games so was very interested how a Thievey universe would look using the Unreal engine(which is a personal favourite engine of mine)

Got the mod the day it was released-took me just over 10 hours to download on my 56k-and on first impression I wasn't too sure whether I liked it or not(maybe due to the higher learning curve than in most online multiplayer games),but I still seem to be playing the damn thing.

I was here for the birth of the Thievery idea, after much time spent hanging out with other Thief players.

Even if they never got back to me when I said I could map for them

Re: AL GORE clued me in.

Originally posted by OG taffer
    Kept talking about this internet thing he invented, and I asked "What good is it?"
    He never said that quote.

I heard about TUT from MrEricSir.

Originally posted by Poseur
    LOL! Sorry, Omega, that is the best post evar! How did you find out about Thievery? Uhhhhh, I made it. Genius. Pure Genius. I didn't know Llama's had such wit.
    *sigh*

He stole that from me....

I played through both thief games before TUT. I was on GameSpy one day (I think it was unreal tournament planet) and one of their headlines read something like "We've been hearing a lot of good things about the mod 'Thievery' click here to download it!"
    Being a Thief fan, I boviously downloaded it.

I found out from the Crackaz website.

"Saw it when browsing UT Mods"
    I call myself a 'UT-mods Geek' (on the BeyondUnreal Forums).

Thief is one of my fav game series and so the mod idea/theme sounded awesome to me. Then the trailer got me totally hyped(proof that a lot of good things were done) and I waited for the first release. I play since then.
    I registered at the TTLG forums before, though- I think.(SystemShock2 )

heared it from a friend ( chief brody), he saw it on tv at gigagames
    next i dl and we play, but i am not often in tut, i like more action like "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"
    that is more teamplay and for me more fun, sorry
    but i like the GREAT idea
    thief in multi is cooooooooooooooool

I've been a huge Thief series fan for many a year now. I heard about Thievery through TTLG around 6-9 months before it was released, and began drooling when they released that preview. I started playing a week or two after release, as it took me awhile to find a copy of UT.

Edumacated

Now the presentation

Hi again everyone, wow! lot better response to this post than i had anticipated, this does not nessasarily mean i am exited though. (pardon my shitty spelling)

My worst fears have been confirmed and also the door of deathmatching controversy...can finally be closed. What am i talking about?

Read over the posts, though my poll was not specific enough for most people here and they had to post, my general idea for the poll was to see who found out about thievery from playing thief originally, and who found out from....pc gamers mag, browsing UT mods, and really any other way besides playing thief.

Everyone wants to know, why do we have dm? why must i be a guard that stands in broad daylight, have a thief race up in broad daylight, race around behind me and blackjack me? WHY DO WE HAVE DM IN THE GAME OF THIEVERY!? Its a stealth mod isn't it? itsn't the point to sneak up and steal the objective? or is the point to kill all the guards with arrows and sword and blackjacks?

I found out about thievery because every week since i started playing thief (3 years ago) ive been checking these forums (without regestering) for an update to thief2, the greatest game of all time. I was rather excited about the anticipated (online thief play) being released in thief3, till Looking Glass Studios flopped. I came across thievery 6 months ago and thus i play to this day....the greatest mod of all time,Toobad i can't say the same thing for all the players.

Do i sound pissed? sorry i am pretty pissed off, after reading all of these posts by no fault of anyone but fate. Where is all the deathmatching coming from? Its coming from 3/4 of this fuckin community stumbling upon this mod and treating it like its quake III. The biggest inlet and recruition of this mod is from other dm no time for patients mods. Thats not good!!! I play those other mods and games, but i played Thief 1 and Thief 2 for 3 years before playing thievery and thus i know how to play Thievery the real way.

What do i want? I know this will never happen, but what i would like to see, is everyone to take some time playing the Thief originals and Beating them WITHOUT cheats like i did and a golden few in this community. Call me a ranter, call me a Damper, but the facts still stick out like my middle finger...

Timmy_Tiger

"(pardon my shitty spelling)"
    You spelled shity wrong..............Um.........mabye play something else for a while........

Besides, Whats wrong with a little killin every now and then. Read the papers lately? Someone breaks in, gets interupted and panics, starts killin his way twords the door.
    I played thief a plenty. I "LIKED" the aspect of being able to kill if I saw The need. I would love to have free time enough to "ghost" a mission, But having a job a family and a "Life"(real) to deal with...well...something has to give. Besides as I rember there was more than ONE way to play the game. If you werent supposed to kill every now and then, Why did the makers tell you in the manual you can clean blood off with the water arrows,as not to be discovered? why hide bodies in the shadows ? The beauty of the game was that you COULD play it your way, just like a real outlaw would. You rarly see rustlers, bankrobbers, bikers or thieves playing "BY THE RULES" They are OUTLAWS for chrissakes !

If playing a guard, do you have the option of arresting the thieves ?? NOPE, just kill em. Why should the thieves be limited to JUST sneaking ?

Just my "O" Hit me with a mace if you must

Originally posted by OG taffer
    You spelled shity wrong
    "Shitty" is spelled with two "t"s.

Where is the most obvious one?

"Found TTLG Forums for Thief, Then saw Thievery link"

and yes .. Shitty is spelled with "tt"
    Last edited by kewlazme; 7th Jan 2003 at 23:49.

Re: Now the presentation

Originally posted by Thief13x
    Do i sound pissed? sorry i am pretty pissed off, after reading all of these posts by no fault of anyone but fate. Where is all the deathmatching coming from? Its coming from 3/4 of this fuckin community stumbling upon this mod and treating it like its quake III. The biggest inlet and recruition of this mod is from other dm no time for patients mods. Thats not good!!! I play those other mods and games, but i played Thief 1 and Thief 2 for 3 years before playing thievery and thus i know how to play Thievery the real way.
    Thief13x, you need to understand something here: fighting is part of the game. If you do not like the game, you are under no obligation to play it.

If you want to play your own way, that's fine. But you're not some type of moral authority, and I, for one, wish you would quit acting like one.

I STAND CORRECTED

Had to break out my websters on this, shoulda checked first. Must of been thinking
    of the up scale slang "SHITAY"(pronounced "shi tay").

I stand by the rest

the facts still stick out like my middle finger...
    sooooo you manipulated the community, who (through good intentions) "proved" your rather baseless and obtuse point; you conveniently forget that "coming from Quake 3" doesn't automatically equal "DM Thief" (surprise surprise, I've played Q3 a heaping helluva lot, probably about as much as Thief, itself), you conveniently forget that Thief had the ability to fight (in fact, it had quite the advanced combat system, i'd say), all so you could rant about how people shouldn't DM.

Yeah, you're going places.

And actually, Laughingrat, I prefer to think that I was making a reference to your post for the sake of humor, rather than "stealing" the line )

...I used to play a hell of a lot of Quake3 also,UT too,and Kingpin,and Unreal,and Wheel Of Time,and Sin etc etc(Hell,even quite a bit of Daikatana too-but don't tell anyone about that!)

I've also played through Thief1 and 2 without using cheats(okay,I had to use a walkthrough a couple of times in Thief2 cos of the more buggy bits in it),but without cheats!

I think what Timmy THE Tiger is trying to say is that the stealth aspect in Thievery doesn't come across quite as it does in the original Thief series when you have Thieves launching full frontal broad daylight attacks on guards,manically circle-straffing as they go.
    But to be fair to the dev team-implementing the stealth aspect of the Thief series in to a multiplayer mod was always going to be a nigh on impossible task,epecially when using the speedy Unreal engine(just imagine just how bad it would be on the Q3 engine?) -but all things considered,especially with the last patch which balanced a lot of issues out,I reckon they did a good job.

A great deal of the problem also comes from the fact that the majority of the online gaming community DO have a Counter Strike deathmatch type mentality which hampers the stealthier aspects of Thievery more.True,combat WAS very much a part of the original Thief series and indeed should be so in Thievery to a degree also....maybe its the regularity of combat in Thievery and the clock counting against the thieves that makes it appear less stealthy?

Actually I thought that multiplayer play had been considered for Thief2 but had been dropped at the last minute?(Not Thief 3)

And shitty IS spelt with 2 "T"'s

Whatever way you wanna look at it,Thievery still has a higher learning curve than most other online first-sight games,it's incredibly tough and frustrating to play(the combat system is a LOT harder than Q3 for a start),it does still have a few annoying bugs and other issues(like spawn areas)...and if and when Thief3 does finally arrive with a multiplayer side-it will be interesting to see just how it compares in stealthiness.

Incidentally,does anyone know why there is no Gamespy Arcade tab for this mod yet?It would be nice to be able to see the servers listed there.

The biggest inlet and recruition of this mod is from other dm no time for patients mods
    Doctor:"Nurse!This man is dying from frontal Blackjack cranium wounds!Could you bring in his Son waiting in reception wearing the Parka Coat with the target painted on the back?"

Nurse:"I've got no time for Patients mods"

LOL

Like Rob, it was a Planet Unreal post that sparked my attention.
    "Life is a near death experience"
    aka: Solstice

=/

This TC is very badly advertised. I only found it after searching for about 3 days on the net for a medievil multiplayer FPS. I was devestated with Thief 2 not implementing mplayer but as soon as I discovered this mod I was all over it.

is a Black Cat!

..and thus i know how to play Thievery the real way..
    BullSHIT.

There's many ways of playing this MOD, and that's what makes it interesting for new players. You can't go off saying you're playing the right way, and everyone else is not.

Btw: I've been playing Thief since the first demo got released, but that doesn't make me better than the Thievery-players that hasn't played Thief.