TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt & Arrow Testing

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
    Actually, I found that the guards crossbow aim is slightly off. It fires about half an inch over the aim reticle from a distance of about 10 foot...
    Might be a thing with my resolution though (800x600ish).
    Yep this sucks IMO.
    I don't hit shit on long range shots.
    (Just with the fire bolt I'm able to hit the spot I aimed at good enough on those ranges.
    But it still sucks to have to aim at the ground slightly.)
    When the normal bolts would work like the arrows do with the bow that would be better. You know, starting in the centre of your aiming reticule but of course still be affected by gravity.
    Just because of this the thieves' bow is much better than the crossbow IMO.
    But if they don't want to change it, I can deal with that as I have done since the first public release.

Once you've learned the aiming points with the crossbow, it's FAR more accurate than the bow. It's trajectory is far flatter than an arrow's, and the sight is actually graded, unlike the bow's, which allows for a lot more precision.

Everyone complaining here about aiming sux. I have no problem attaching tag bolts, para bolts, and normal bolts to thieves at 25+ yards away, usually at reflex speeds. Practice. Get better. If you don't, that's just you and you lack the skillz. Get over that. There are better players and there are worse players (I think I fall in the middle).

My beef is with the fire bolt. It doesn't curve (fine with me), but that means it's trajectory is above the highest marking on the guard aiming reticle. For other bolts that curve, no problem, because they curve back into the reticule. I think the fire bolt should be modified to shoot aimed downward a hair so that it centers on the reticle. As it is, just aim towards the floor and you'll do fine.

Originally posted by LaughingRat
    Once you've learned the aiming points with the crossbow, it's FAR more accurate than the bow. It's trajectory is far flatter than an arrow's, and the sight is actually graded, unlike the bow's, which allows for a lot more precision.
    yeah one learns this better so it seems easier to him, the other one that and then that seems easier to him. so whatever. and I see your points but I'm just a LOT better with the bow than with the crossbow on all ranges.

SNAFU needs a reality check. Apparently, it seems to have escaped his mind that in real life, you don't use a mouse to aim and actually HOLD the weapon, making it slightly easier than the bizarre system used in the game. SNAFU, I suggest you leave your house every now and then. You are OBVIOUSLY confusing the game with real life.

Furthermore, the crossbow sight only confuses me. If it is affected by gravity, then Guards should just switch to the T bow as the T bow is a lot more friendly for gravity based shooting.

Confused? Game? Real life?

Huh?

Originally posted by OHHDEAR
    SNAFU needs a reality check. Apparently, it seems to have escaped his mind that in real life, you don't use a mouse to aim and actually HOLD the weapon, making it slightly easier than the bizarre system used in the game.
    Isn't that what I was trying to get across? And it's EASIER in real life?
    Apparently, it seems to have escaped his mind that in real life, you don't use a mouse to aim and actually HOLD the weapon, making it slightly easier than the bizarre system used in the game.
    Tell me if I misread this.

To me, the system is VERY intuitive. Gravity affects objects. Projectiles have trajectories. Gravity affects the trajectory. To make up for this, you must aim higher for longer ranges. The chevrons help you judge the amount of elevation you need to hit targets at range.

Is that NOT intuitive to you?

If it is not, then I think it might be you who needs to go outside a bit more often.

I noticed its the problem with ppl not being able to lead a target more than with range..... as it is now im a pretty good shot, more so with the Xbow, as it autoloads for me at full power i always know its str, it also flies a LOT straighter in the mid-ranges.
    The bow falls off dramatically at longer ranges. i would say most ppl can hit a non-moving target at their second shot (or they cant aim enough said) if they cant adjust the aim from a previous shot then they should stick to HtH and call in support (str in numbers eh).