TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: What close combat weapon do you use as a guard?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I usually prefer the SWORD.

23 74.19%
  • I like the MACE.

8 25.81%

Thread: Guards, what HtH weapon do you use?

Guards, what HtH weapon do you use?

When reviewing the numbers Dalai gave us (the builders be praised) i decided to drop my good old trusty mace and go for a sword. For me, the speed drop didn't make up for the damage increase. But i just read in another topic that guards do get some damage bonus when hitting from behind, which would be good enough to justify a mace again.

So, what close combat weapon do you use, guards?

The sword. It can block. And it's all about speed.

Block? I don't even have it mapped. Nor have i needed it (against DMers, you understand. I love DMers, they are like piñatas full of health potions for me to use. Other than that, they make the game boring and uninteresting. And easy to win. )

mace. most thieves won't know what hit them. plus, their screen shakes and they get somewhat uneasy. and careless. combine with a speed potion and you're unstoppable.

really, who can beat four hits, uncharged? the first two you'll get before the thief even starts running, if you're good.

Originally posted by Mr. K.
    Block? I don't even have it mapped. Nor have i needed it (against DMers, you understand. I love DMers, they are like piñatas full of health potions for me to use. Other than that, they make the game boring and uninteresting. And easy to win. )
    It can block arrows. I've found blocking useful more often than you'd think, try it some time.

If i get sniped (the very rare times i do) i just hide behind the corner (there's always one) or dodge the arrows. I also call for help and just amuse the thief with my l33t n1nj4 skillz while someone else goes from behind and pokes them. That and i'm too a berserk to use a weapon of mass destruction to block. I admit though that if as a thief a guard would just block my arrows i'd hate him lots and cry like a baby.

The MACE! I sometimes hide as a guard with my trusty mace fully loaded, then I jump out of nowhere and swing, crushing the cowering taffer.

is a Black Cat!
    I never use the mace, always the sword. It's really a speed issue.

It really depends on what you're doing, if you're planning to run around chasing thieves and going out on a hunt, the sword is for you. If you plan on guarding an objective or building (Korman-ruby, DE), then you're better off with the mace.

And you all forgot to note the mace's 'stun' effect. It can be really disorienting which makes escaping hard. If you surpirse a thief with a mace, he's dead 95% of the time.

Oh, and Panch, I believe blocking is one of the most underestimated actions in the game
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..."

I didn't vote, since you don't have an option for "I use both, but which one I choose depends on the map".

As -=V12US=- said, it depends on how you are going to guard. On Flats I like the sword because guarding that map usually involves lots of running. On DE I like the mace because I guard indoors, so many times the thief and I don't see each other until we're right on top of each other. I also go through phases of taking mace more than sword, and vice versa. Usually when I've got the sword, and have hit a thief 5 times, and then he KO's me, it makes me switch back to the mace for a while.

Every single one of my guard loadouts has speed pots - they are necessary no matter which weapon you've got.

Originally posted by neg
    and you're unstoppable.

Whee! *cries* I don't want to be unstopable. (The player)

I generally use the sword, and sometimes a mace. Depends on who are playing as the thieves.

For long period of time it was all sword with me, too.
    But now I prefer the mace.
    You may be surprised but sometimes (on maps where I think whistlers, mines or 'trops are not very useful) when I feel like going out without much fancy stuff I buy them both.
    You are only slowed when the weapon is readied.

Originally posted by DaBeowulf
    For long period of time it was all sword with me, too.
    But now I prefer the mace.
    You may be surprised but sometimes (on maps where I think whistlers, mines or 'trops are not very useful) when I feel like going out without much fancy stuff I buy them both.
    You are only slowed when the weapon is readied.
    I didn't think you could do that? I thought if you bought both, the mace superceded the sword.

Actually you can buy both a mace and a sword. To cycle between the two push your sword/mace button...each time you press it the other weapon will become active.

Originally posted by Sneaky
    Actually you can buy both a mace and a sword. To cycle between the two push your sword/mace button...each time you press it the other weapon will become active.
    Wow. I did not know that!

Originally posted by LaughingRat
    Wow. I did not know that!
    bwuahaha

Yup, beo is right, it is posible .... but it's a totaly waste of money :O

For the money you buy that second melee weapon, you could have 5 speeds or more.

Anyways, i always use the sword. I'm a speed guy .... and mace is tooooooooo slow for me hehe.

Originally posted by DaBeowulf
    bwuahaha

Sorry, man. Largely due to me, that pic is overused, and just doesn't bite the way it used to. Try again.

Originally posted by LaughingRat
    Sorry, man. Largely due to me, that pic is overused, and just doesn't bite the way it used to. Try again.

what a weak come back

yeah it sort of belongs to the TUT forums thanks to you I think and that was what
    the joke was all about bringing it up on a funny occassion.

5 Speeds would be 500 starting loot,
    the sword costs 250 and the mace 300 or 350 so you are wrong here.
    (Strange:I thought you was the one knowing the all the prices exactly)
    you may get 5 Speeds(if there's no restriction on them) when you don't buy any
    melee weapon but of how much use would they be then.
    This all assuming the pretty standard 600/800 or so starting loot amounts used on most servers and game defaults.

EDIT: Ick I am wrong. Cuz it IS 850 guard starting loot. Not 600 like for the thieves.
    (You are the one I thought you were after all. )
    Dumb me.
    Still don't know 'bout restrictions on speeds, though.
    Last edited by DaBeowulf; 10th Jan 2003 at 11:35.

actualy beo, you were right, not me

I just typed it ... without thinking, it seems. I thought speed costs 50 loot, and you could buy as many as posible ... but that's wrong

Anyways, i ment to say, for the 300 loot ( the mace ) i can buy alot of other items that are usefull in the game. So ... that was my point.

( sorry to disapoint you beowulf. Gues i din't know the prices after all )

Sword because im "Cosy" with it.....plus i like the normal speed..... if the taffer uses speed he gets away who cares he has to come back i say