TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Gathering Taffers! (RLF challenge)

Gathering Taffers! (RLF challenge)

I'm looking, as I have been for a while now, for three to five taffers to assist me in ghosting against the RLF. The match is currently scheduled for this Sunday, 2PM EST (1900UTC I think), I believe, and I would like to have a practice for the thieves on Saturday, times for that are flexible. Those who have previously expressed interest are: Lurox, ShadowThorn, Buho, Bloody-Reaper, Omega, Killswitch, and the better part of the EDG. If you're still interested and can make the match, either post here or send me a PM. Anyone else interested, do the same, and if anyone has an idea how to go about picking a team, also let me know. ^_^

Since "ghosting" isn't completely defined, I have come up with a set of rules for the thieves to follow in this match. If anyone has any comments or revisions to these to suggest, post away. Note that these are accepted by the challengers entirely by choice, in the interest of a fun and likely humiliating game, not forced by the RLF.
    1) The blackjack will not be used on guards.
    2) Swords will only be used for blocking.
    3) Guards will not be directly killed by thieves. Releasing spiders, using crack to make guards crater, and other such inventive ways to kill guards are still allowed. Killing them with broadheads or any other direct means is not.

Details such as the map (Gerb, check your PMs, by the way) are under discussion, to be resolved soon. There will also probably be a couple spectator slots, if you're interested in one of those, this is probably the place to post. Also, although this has not been accepted by the RLF, this skirmish is hopefully only a practice for a real match in February, when the RLF is ready to start accepting real challenges.

I can offer you a private server to practice on, if you give me a time, and contact me.

I only expressed interest in taking the RLF on all by myself.

<strong>I'm not taking part of the practice. </strong>

Your ghosting rules suck.

Proper rules are:
    1. NO killing
    2. NO KO's
    3. Try not to get seen.
    4. Try not to get heard.
    5. Try not to leave any traces.

These are the rules I follow.

So why the hell are you calling it ghosting when you allow blocking with swords? Crappy, in my opinion.

I agree omega, but you don't have to freak on him.

I didn't. I just told him my opinion about it.

It was a bit harsh, Omega, but don't stress over it. Not that you are. And I've removed you from The List, and post the results if you do take on the RLF by yourself.

As for justifying my rules, the intent of them was not to define a method of play, which is what yours are for. They were simply saying what was not -allowed- under any curcumstances. If Virus decides to ghost and for some reason wants a sword, I'm not going to say no -- Just when ghosting he shouldn't kill with it.

LR:

Would you be okay with us using the Crackaz Private server for the match?
    I don't have the bandwidth we'd need.

I sadly don't have the time this weekend, saturday or sunday. Oh well... next time, I guess.

Originally posted by WildBill

As for justifying my rules, the intent of them was not to define a method of play, which is what yours are for. They were simply saying what was not -allowed- under any curcumstances. If Virus decides to ghost and for some reason wants a sword, I'm not going to say no -- Just when ghosting he shouldn't kill with it.
    Stop calling it ghosting then... (Don't flame, pm me instead)

Originally posted by Omega
    Stop calling it ghosting then... (Don't flame, pm me instead)
    The intent is to ghost, by your definition of it. The reason I didn't choose something similar to what you posted as the rules is that there are situations when it could create problems. I was trying to come up with a set of rules that would prohibit non-ghostly activities, and still leave significant freedom for the players to handle unusual circumstances.

Originally posted by Mad_Gerbil
    LR:

Would you be okay with us using the Crackaz Private server for the match?
    I don't have the bandwidth we'd need.
    Part of the reason we set it up was for it to be a place for guilds to be able to match. As long as the match is scheduled at a time that doesn't conflict with anything else scheduled on the server, and a few other simple requirements are met, sure, you're welcome to use it.

Here's the requirements:
    • Normal Crackaz server rules are in effect. Check the Crackaz site and the Server thread here if you don't know what those are.
    • Each team needs to designate a captain. Each team's captain will be given limited admin access to the server for the duration of the match (just enough to do the necessary map changes and kick any unruly players). Each captain must supply either Grank or I with a password at least 24 hours prior to the match.
    • The two teams must agree upon a game password, which must be supplied to either Grank or myself at least 24 hours prior to the match.
    • The terms and server settings for the match must be agreed upon and provided to Grank or myself at least 48 hours prior to the match, to allow us time to set up the .ini files appropriately.
    • Players who are banned from any Crackaz server will NOT be unbanned for match purposes.
    • Results of the match must be posted publicly, either here or at Crackaz, by one of the team captains, and corroborated by the other captain, within 48 hours of the end of the match.

In addition, fair warning: The slow mapchange problem we're experincing will not be fixed by this weekend, so if it's taking place then, you'll just have to deal with it.

Note: I've made these condition up off the top of my head. They're subject to change in the future, once Grank and I actually discuss it. We should be able to hold to these conditions for this match, though.

LaughingRat:

We've decided upon best 2 outta 3 on Nostalgia with a 30 minute time limit.
    Is that acceptable?

WildBill:
    I'm likely to only have 3 total RLF present. That means you'll likely only be able to use 4 thieves. Different thieves may play in different run throughs of the map, however. You can cycle everyone that way.

erm..right. but anyways, Bill count me in on the team
    [E.D.G] SKUNK Class
    [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

Um, do the ghosters have to guard also? ( refresh my memory plz )

If not, well .... nostalgia is overal easy to thief, remember that

LR/Gerbil - Default starting loot as well, I believe. It looks like Gerb and I are going to be captains, and I'm sure we can come up with a fitting password. ^_^ Also, LR, are there any times on Saturday that the CTG server would not be available for the thieves to hold a practice on? It would be using the same setup that the match would.

Four thieves sounds fair, I think more than that might be a bad idea anyways. I'll be deciding a roster later tonight or tomorrow, shuffling people between matches is something I'll have to think about.

Originally posted by PhaeThorn
    Um, do the ghosters have to guard also? ( refresh my memory plz )

If not, well .... nostalgia is overal easy to thief, remember that
    No, the RLF is an all guard guild, and as such will be guarding on all three rounds. As for Nostalgia being easy, well, I don't think there's ever been a match like this before, the results will be interesting. ^_^

Originally posted by WildBill
    The intent is to ghost, by your definition of it. The reason I didn't choose something similar to what you posted as the rules is that there are situations when it could create problems. I was trying to come up with a set of rules that would prohibit non-ghostly activities, and still leave significant freedom for the players to handle unusual circumstances.
    Okay.

But still, if you allow certain actions for the player that will lead in killing a guard, even if it's not directly (Such as using a crackarrow which causes a guard to fall of a roof.) you can't call it ghosting.

I'd never participate in a clan war in which the Thieves were forced to ghost -- that's just too easy for the guards. You have to give them at least a bit of a hassle!

Originally posted by Omega
    Okay.

But still, if you allow certain actions for the player that will lead in killing a guard, even if it's not directly (Such as using a crackarrow which causes a guard to fall of a roof.) you can't call it ghosting.
    The purpose of that exception was to cover accidents, the intent is not to creatively kill all the guards.

Originally posted by MrEricSir
    ....that's just too easy for the guards....
    *phaethorn laughs *

Originally posted by Mad_Gerbil
    We've decided upon best 2 outta 3 on Nostalgia with a 30 minute time limit.
    Is that acceptable?
    It's your match. I'm not playing in it. As long as both team agree to the conditions, I'll set the server up any way you want.

But:
    I'm starting to see different settings in different posts, and these are things that don't need to be posted about anyway. Gerb, WBill, when you have the ENTIRE setup figured out (don't forget loot drop %, BTW - and friendly fire, if you want that), then contact me or email it to me. WBill, you may contact me privately about using the server for a practice on Saturday as well. Contact info is in my profiles here and at Crackaz. IM would probably be best.

LaughingRat:

WildBill PM'd me settings.
    I told him they were fine and to send them to you.

Originally posted by MrEricSir
    I'd never participate in a clan war in which the Thieves were forced to ghost -- that's just too easy for the guards. You have to give them at least a bit of a hassle!
    *cackles*