TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father Hirvakia's Portal - 2002.12.08 (updated 2005.10.02)

Father Hirvakia's Portal - 2002.12.08 (updated 2005.10.02)

This is an awesome mission pack! I really enjoyed playing it and even just walking around looking at it The story is really good and the author did a very nice job working around the problems of switching between missions in the middle of a story. This set took a lot of patience and hard work - I'm very impressed. It's kind of hard to compare it to the other missions because it is built on a whole different scale

However, I'm kind of stuck

spoiler:
    I'm on the third part. I have Nicole, but can't figure out how to leave! I read the note about the "yellow flame" but I don't get what I'm suppose to do. My sword broke and I can't find anything else to frob or pickup anywhere. Can anyone help me? I need closure!

Thanks!

(And if anybody hasn't played this one - play it now! It is very, very good )

Re: Father Hirvakia's Portal

Originally posted by kfort
    spoiler:
    I'm on the third part. I have Nicole, but can't figure out how to leave! I read the note about the "yellow flame" but I don't get what I'm suppose to do. My sword broke and I can't find anything else to frob or pickup anywhere. Can anyone help me? I need closure!
    spoiler:
    Pick up ape's body (or other heavy item) and place it on the pedestal. Wait for the yellow flame to appear and then enter the portal. Good luck!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    bukary, I've tried that.... in fact, I
    spoiler:
    put all 3 ape beasts on the pedestal and waited for several minutes... no yellow flame.
    I even went back and
    spoiler:
    pressed the button which the author left floating in the air above the ladder (I assume he/she meant to remove it and it was used for debugging something)...
    and that didn't work either. Like kfort, I want closure!

Yes, i've been wondering the same thing about the switch ("eh?" i went) and the end/exit of mission 3..i must admit i gave up on it and loaded mission 4, which is really wicked. This mission pack is really cool though.
    spoiler:
    The end of mission 4 reminded me of the matrix..was just like Neo and Agent Smith going at it..hehe

Originally posted by yandros
    bukary, I've tried that.... in fact, I
    spoiler:
    put all 3 ape beasts on the pedestal and waited for several minutes... no yellow flame.
    You could not wait for several minutes, because
    spoiler:
    right after placing something on the pedestal the wizard appears...
    By "pedestal" I mean this thing nearby the ramp... (not the portal!)...

That's the pedestal I was trying it with, the one by the ramp.... nothing happens when I put anything on it....

That's the pedestal I was trying it with, the one by the ramp.... nothing happens when I put anything on it....
    Try to jump on the pedestal and stay there for few seconds... We'll see if anything happens...
    Cartographer's Note FM: in production.
    Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!

I usually jump up and stand on it to drop the apes.... so I don't think that will do it either. Maybe my ZIP is broken somehow, I may try downloading it again.

Same with me. I couldn't get anything to happen, but I might not have waited long enough. The first time I jumped on I thought I heard something, but it might have been my imagination. Even tried adding Nicole to the pile at one point

Weird.

I guess I'll download again.
    spoiler:
    The button seems to control the conversation which shoots darts at Nicole rather than the end sequence.

I had the same problem myself, at first, and then I hopped on the pedestal myself while holding Nikole, (it takes about 4 or 5 seconds before anything happens) and waited untill I had heard half of what the wizard said (right before the Apes came pouring out) then ran like mad to the portal. Cool mission, but could've had more stuff it mission4. ...I guess..
    I'm not a bad guy, I just play one in real life.

spoiler:
    So dropping Nicole on the pedestal and jumping off her head for the rope then hanging upside down and grabbing her back is not the correct way out then? Mmmm... Think I broke her neck anyway. I hate those ropes that are just an inch beyond jumping. Was it possible to reach it or was there just to annoy! Never saw no yellow flame neither.

Great mission pack. Cool effect at the end of part two
    I would love to see a full size of this one.

Regarding the intro mission: Is there anything more supposed to happen after the camvator has stopped or is it ok to press the ESC key after listening to the cool music for the tenth time?

Thiefmissions.com

There doesn't seem to be any way at all to get the portal in mission 3 to open. It just doesn't work.

There's no point in downloading again; I know the zipfile tested OK so the download is fine. I'll try making sure my Thief 2 directory is clean and installing the thing again, after going on to other missions, but I'm not hopeful.

Distant Quasar
    I had the same problems...I gave up on it. Plus, can we really vote for this mission? We can't vote for the pack, and neither of the missions stands out on its own, so what do we do? I'm confused
    I'll move on and check this thread every now and then.
    - eep!

I've been wondering about that too.... since it's 4 separate FM's, I'd think Komag will make us vote on only one of the four when we vote. So we'll have to vote for "Father Hirvakia's Portal Part X" for category whatever. Allowing people to vote on the 4-mission suite as a whole would be unfair to the rest of the FM authors.

I finally gave up on #3 working and went on and played #4.... and it's pretty cool. I like the author's camvator and FX usage in these missions, it shows an impressive technical expertise.

help!

spoiler:
    in pt2 i read the diary i nthe high priest's room but "Find out what happened to Nikole" didnt tick off"

how do i make it tick off?

Thiefmissions.com

spoiler:
    Look up.

More specifically:
    spoiler:
    Investigate the light fixture.

thanks epithumia! got it

WOW!!! Cool effects!

Hmm, I had absolutly no problem with it...
    On Pt1, after the music ended, it put me in this grey room and then..."mission Complete"
    In Pt 3 I stood on the pedastal while holding Nikole, and waited about 5 seconds.
    ...Strange

It took me awhile to locate the switch in Pt2 though.

[edit] The yellow flame is the yellow explosion after the portal opens? You did see the blue flash and the maw posts slide together right?? [edit]
    Last edited by William The Taffer; 3rd Feb 2003 at 04:17.

I must admit I had similar problems to what people posted. Mission 1 - CamVator didn't end, I pressed Esc after about 5 minutes waiting. Mission 3 - I couldn't activate the portal. Nothing seemed to work, I put apes on the pedestal, but never saw the yellow flame.

I must confess I have very mixed feelings about Father Hivakia's Portal... Overall, the mission pack is good. Someone, indeed, did a great job and took the effort to make something impressive. Yet... I must say the pack is intriguing. The words at the end made me think that the author wanted to win very much, too much perhaps... The truth is that the mission pack is full of bugs (CamVator, mission 3 end, mission 3 button hanging in the air, the fireplaces were made poorly with the smoke going through it etc etc etc). It's an impressive piece of work, yet I think the author was too hasty. I don't think you win because you make 4 missions, it's rather the quality.

My first reaction was to vote for this mission, but now I'm not sure... There are so many bugs...

Here's one more bug for the author to investigate if s/he decides to release a new version of it after the Contest:

Once when replaying through #3 trying to get the pedestal thing to work, the second apebeast who's supposed to shoot Nikole didn't, so she was just standing around.... so after I took out the second ape I had no way of getting Nikole to the portal because I couldn't KO her because no blackjack, or any other weapons...

Here's one more bug for the author to investigate if s/he decides to release a new version of it after the Contest:

Once when replaying through #3 trying to get the pedestal thing to work, the second apebeast who's supposed to shoot Nikole didn't, so she was just standing around.... so after I took out the second ape I had no way of getting Nikole to the portal because I couldn't KO her because no blackjack, or any other weapons...
    That's odd, because Nikole seems to be linked to a conv point that knocks her out, not the darts, that pass right over her head if you look close enough.

The poor taffer seemed to have really ran short on time, I know how that is...
    Last edited by William The Taffer; 4th Feb 2003 at 17:23.

The portal on the 3rd part brought me much grief, and the forums were temporarily down as I was working on this mission so I couldn't find any outside help, but eventually I threw the broken sword at the red "barnacle" the rope was coming out of and the portal started to activate and Father Hivarkia showed up and started yelling at me and then the yellow light came and I was outta there.

Now that I read all of this pedestal stuff I'm confused because I spent some time on that pedestal and nothing happened.

My little brother played this level and somehow he got part three to end correctly the first time he tried. I have no idea what he did differently or what, but he hoped on the pedistal, looked around for a yellow flame, then jumped down. When he turned around there was a wizard and a herd of apes on the ramp behind him! I've tried, but I can't seem to get this to happen for me.

I've also noticed that Nicole doesn't always get knocked out like she should. If you come straight out of the hole and approach directly it seems to work fine, but if you hang back or circle around the clearing, it doesn't always trigger properly. Since you can just push the hanging button to drop her, it isn't a big problem, but it is a bug of some sort.

Aside from these few hang ups, I found the rest of the mission(s) quite enjoyable - especially the end of the second part with the portal! Very cool (I love stuff that freaks out my little sister! )

Kfort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast