TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Thief Nonetheless (Contest 4 entry, 02/03/2003)

A THIEF NONETHELESS

Please help I can not figure out how access the control room.

Go into the small office, to the left upstairs and look on the wall, tucked in beside the armoire, for a lever.

Nightwalker thank you for such a quick response, this was the first time I've ever used
    this forum. but how do I get upstairs?

So THAT'S your problem! LOL! You must be playing on Expert, right? You need to go into the small cloakroom and look up under the counter. There's a key hidden there that unlocks the door to the stairs.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 9th Nov 2003 at 19:13.

Thank you Thank You Thank you! I thought I looked every where, but there it was.Your the greatest.

You're very welcome!

A Thief None the Less

Where exactly, in the bathroom. is the secret switch? We are 25 short on loot.

Go in the bathroom and close the door

then, face
    spoiler:
    the toilet and crouch, look as much to the left facing the toilet as possible
    . You should see the switch
    spoiler:
    just behind the left side of the water closet

A Thief None the Less

Thanks for the help. But just a general comment on game design. This was an enjoyable mission for the most part, BUT when switches are almost impossible to see or find it becomes tedious and takes away a great deal of the enjoyment. Frustration and having to rely on others to complete a mission does not make for good game play.

I imagine secret switches is one of the hardest things for an FM author to gauge. Too easy, and it's not really a secret switch. Some people find them staring right at them, and sometimes it can't be found. I remember in Thief Gold, even though the dead Hammer brother you throw in the grave tells you exactly where the switch is in the basement on the mural, it was still very hard to find and frob. If the beta testers find the switches, all a designer can do is assume that most others will find them too. And then there's always the FM forum, which is a great deal of its purpose. That's what the forum description says : "Stuck?.................this is the place!" MOG's review of this mission said he enjoyed the challenge and satisfaction of finding the switches in this mission. It all depends on the individual.

The hardest switch to find for me was to turn off the alarm at Angelwatch. That one was well hidden in the doorway. Can'tthink of the name offhand, but a bank mission had mini switches I found too hard to find, even when I read where they were supposed to be. I found the bathroom switch right away in this one, because I was checking behind the toilet for lost change. I thought since there was change on the back of the toilet, maybe some fell behind, and there
    spoiler:
    was the secret switch hilighting.
    Talk about dropped change alright!

Originally posted by lonzboy
    Can'tthink of the name offhand, but a bank mission had mini switches I found too hard to find, even when I read where they were supposed to be.
    That would probably be my Contest 3 entry, Eastwater Bank. And you're certainly not the only one to think the switches were too hard to find.

Yandros

Yep!!! That was the one!! Sorry to complain...umm...it was great, really.

uncadonego- I actually guessed right that you were the author of this one after I saw Two Fathers! I'm good! Check out the something..something..and the author is... thread. I'm in there somewhere guessing this was yours. Even though you didn't get many votes, I think it's because you didn't stick out in any one category. Don't feel bad, this mission was really good.

lonzboy is right about the votes. I think there were a number of missions in this contest like that. They were really fun to play, had decent storylines, etc. but just didn't stand out enough to grab the votes. I betatested this one and I thought it was great fun then. I still do!

I know this post is a little late, but I just played the mission.
    What I want to know is, how did a guy with such a tiny house get 20 guards working for him?! They're everywhere!

Maybe he was lonely . . .

He doesn't live there. There's no living room, no kitchen, no tub. He has a room to sleep and a public bathroom downstairs, but it is only a small art gallery. He can afford all those guards because the expedition he is sponsoring is finding valuable items! That's why all the guards. But he advertised his findings, which lured you there, as stated in the read me file. Read his little journal on the dresser. He's headed for great wealth! Minus of course what you took from him that night.

Uh....

[Folks]

...Hidden attic? Accessible from the ground floor? Do you mean inside or out?

I have all four secrets, both objectives, and the rope arrow; but I'm about 1000 short on loot! I must have missed an incredible treasure trove -- !

All the guards are out, but I couldn't find a switch to turn off the watcher.

Dafydd

Dafydd

spoiler:
    That rope arrow is useable if you stand in front of the statue at the two back doors and look up. You'll see a tiny beam up there.

Also, something that some people missed are
    spoiler:
    are the paintings on the walls in the gallery with the statue of Cartusianus, and also the three little statues on the pedestals. They have very short pick distances to force Garrett to avoid those spotlights with the watcher looking. Leaning forward helps, or....when the watcher isn't looking, step into the spotlight, grab a statue, then back away quickly.

There is something drastically wrong here....

[Uncadonego]

I have:

spoiler:
    Both non-loot objectives, all four secrets with their corresponding loot, the contents of both safes upstairs, the loot from the secret attic, the loot from the strongbox in the cloakroom, all three statues in the display room, all the paintings from the walls of the display room, the coin stack from the top of the dresser in the bedroom, the coins from the toilet, the coin from the cloakroom floor, two purses from guards outside...

...and I'm still only at 1690 loot. Something is drastically wrong; I have missed some huge trove of eight or nine hundred! I'm usually not in the Perfect Thief category, but this is absolutely risible.

All the guards are out. The only thing left conscious is the watcher, so I can pretty much go anywhere. What on earth have I missed?

Dafydd

Dafydd

Tell you what....
    I'll play the game right now and jot down a loot list, then post it here. Check back in an hour or so, maybe less.

Dafydd

LOOT LIST

SOUTH END
    spoiler:
    bathroom - coins on toilet (50) ...secret..purse (100)
    coat room - coin on floor (5) .....money box (43)
    gallery (380)

NORTH END
    spoiler:
    northwest guard purse (100)
    northeast guard purse (60)
    attic area above statue ....statues (120)

UPSTAIRS
    spoiler:
    Figalily's room - vase (100), wine goblet (15), fine wine (50), glasses (50), coinstack on armoire (5), secret with safe key (925), victorian hope chest (12)
    Hidden safe area - safe #2 (600)

That's everything.........

Loot list

[Uncadonego]

All right, I finally found what I was missing: I didn't realize there was loot up in the secret in Figalily's room along with the safe key. Once I climbed up onto the table and scooped that up, I had all the loot (2615).

I knew I had missed some huge hoard! When I opened the painting via the secret switch, I didn't notice that I could just mantle up; I jumped up instead, grabbed, and all I got was the key. Thinking that's all there was, I didn't go back and look!

Dafydd

Dafydd

Glad to help

Ha, that was great. I didn't notice until I was searching for that last switch, but the scouting orb is great for dropping into tight places and having a look around for switches. I'd searched one of those rooms three times clicking all all the spaces between furniture and walls and I didn't find it til I used the orb. I'm glad I finally found a use for the thing.

Kind of a funny fm. Almost diabolical. First they throw all those guards at you, then you have to find all the tiny switches.