TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 68 of 104 FirstFirst ... 18232833384348535863646566676869707172737883889398103 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2585

Thread: Almalexia is a psycho

My thing where think comes from is starting to hurt me with all these big words...owie....

That's called learning.. it's a good pain! Savour the learning! Yes.. Yes.. you will be one of us soon..

(please excuse me - I've just driven for six hours...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
    Yes.. Yes.. you will be one of us soon..
    I'm not sure that's a good thing......

Join usss.....join usss NOW...

Er........fine?

What, am I supposed to pull out a lightsaber or something and yell "YOU'L NEVER TAKE ME!"?
    Last edited by Gorgonseye; 11th Oct 2006 at 00:36.

Morrowind.TTLG.com

Nope. Just have to use words like obfuscate and incunabula.

Ooh.. good one.. "incunabula".. I shall have to use that today.

I do like "obfuscate" as well. Espescially the fact that when you use it, that's often what you're trying to do.

I love words and etymology - mainly because I'm a bit of a git and like the fact that many words have a meaning subtly different from what is the usually accepted use, meaning that it's possible to insult people whilst making them think you've paid them a compliment. "Incredible" is a very useful word for that.

Argh....just because I'm in the honor role doesn't mean I know what your talking about....please {Pretty please?} refrain from frequently using words that most 14 year olds won't understand....

Ah.. one of the curses of today's day and age. If I know something that you don't then I'm supposed to not say it for fear of upsetting and offending you, rather than you going to look it up in a dictionary and learning something that can then be used to confuse somebody else and so spread the pernicious disease called knowledge? Actually that's rather unfair and said tongue-in-cheek, so don't get offended - I wouldn't expect you to know some of the words that have been used (I didn't know "incunabula"). But it does seem that everything has to be dumbed-down to the lowest common denominator these days. That everything has to be presented so that it can be understood by everyone without the expenditure of any effort, which I'm not sure is necessarily a good thing. Obviously there is no need to go out of your way to make the meaning of things hard to understand (see above, re: obfuscation), but I believe that people should be encouraged to learn things they don't understand, rather than ignore them. And yep - I do practice what I preach - and toddled off to look up what "incunabula" meant. Still have to find a way to use it before the day is out. And yes, on occasion I am described as being annoying/insufferable/pain in the arse - but am in demand for pub quiz teams. It's a trade off.

I'm not sure what gave you the idea I could be offended by this

Oh fiiiine I'l LEARN the words if I don't understand them....

{You oppressive people......I shall have vengeance on ye one day....}

I didn't want you to think that I was saying you were lazy and couldn't be bothered to learn things - I'm aware that that isn't the case, but people can be very touchy on forums - the lack of body language removes so many of the important aspects of communication.

And just think - there's something incredibly pleasing about using words in essays that the teacher has to go and look up.

But...I AM lazy and don't like being bothered to learn things! { Fine...I have the spare time....I'l change my ways...}

Well - seeing as your tutor probably hasn't turned up yet, you've got to learn stuff from somewhere. Here's as good a place as any!

There seems to be a certain delicious irony in the possibility that you might learn more in the months you spend away from school than if you'd been allowed to stay in class...

I don't know...that'd be really sad, then again, the tutor will only be around for two hours a day so, I'm not sure how much a lesson plan you can get out of that....

*sighs heavily*
    Last edited by Gorgonseye; 11th Oct 2006 at 23:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonseye View Post
    Oh fiiiine I'l LEARN the words if I don't understand them....
    Before you know it, you'll be a sesquipedelian.
    Last edited by PeeperStorm; 12th Oct 2006 at 04:22. Reason: Eye kin spel riil gud

Now thats just being mean....

Edit: What the hell? I look it up on wikipedia and I was redirected to "Longest word in the English dictionary"

Morrowind.TTLG.com

Sounds like you currently have hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

Probably because I didn't stop to check the spelling. It's sesquipedelian, not sesquipedalian. One of the risks of memorizing big words.

OK, here's your homework assignment:

Go buy a copy of Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary and read it. Every time you find a word in it that you don't know, look it up in a real dictionary. When you're done, post a list here of the new words that you've learned and what they actually mean.

Morrowind.TTLG.com

Or instead you could like go have the sex that PeeperStorm's not getting.

I do hope you're not encouraging a 14 year-old to behave in an illegal activity the Striker? (not that I should imagine that any encouragement is necessary)

Every day, I find myself more and more confused as to why I even read this thread....

Sooo...speaking of things with funny names, you can get "octophobia, the fear of the number eight"

Lacerta, You were kinda gonna be "In wales in 20 minutes" acouple of days ago...

Something really traumatizing needs to happen if your going to be SCARED of a NUMBER.....
    I think not therefore you aren't.

Take that, Descartes.

You mean like Triskadecaphobia?

Lock up your youngsters! Striker's sending out dirty messages again. I wonder if he knows Congressman Foley...

Quote Originally Posted by Ailtar View Post
    Lacerta, You were kinda gonna be "In wales in 20 minutes" acouple of days ago...

It's more a case of I can be in Wales in 20 mins any time I like (well, provided my boss lets me out of work). In fact - that's been my location for the best part of three years. So I'm well overdue.

Pogophobia anyone?

Further to what we were talking about before, the following paper - "Consequences of erudite vernacular utilised irrespective of necessity" (by Daniel Oppenheimer of Princeton University) has just won the literature prize of the Ig Nobel awards.

Page 68 of 104 FirstFirst ... 18232833384348535863646566676869707172737883889398103 ... LastLast