TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thief FM "The Bluecoat's Training Facility" Mar. 11/03

Edumacated

Thief FM "The Bluecoat's Training Facility" Mar. 11/03

Hi! its Thief13x aka Timmy. I have officially released my ThiefFM yesterday entitled "The Bluecoat's Training Facility" and it is up for download! the link is Here DOWNLOAD NOW! . You will be taken to my official website for my Thieffm where you will find a link to download it and whole bunch of fun info on me. However, before playing it you must have darkloader downloaded and installed, you should be able to find that at the keep, the circle, and thief underground or somewhere like that. Also on my website are some screenshots so even if you don't play Thieffm's or arn't intrested in mine, at least check out the screenshots and post back here to tell me what you thought. My picture is on the site under FM Author plus a little info about me. Like i stated, this is my first and last thief fm due to the time issues i have because of working really hard to get my private pilot's license. Anyway, email me and tell me what you thought and try and have as much fun playing it as i did making it!!!!!!!!!

I get nowhere with FilePlanet, can you upload it to Cheap Thief as well by chance?

Screens look good BTW.

Thiefmissions.com

Ah, well, bandwidth exceeded. I'm kind of surprised that someone would release a mission without sending it to me, but to each their own.

If someone sends me the file or a working (non-fileplanet) link to it, I'll be happy to add it to my archive.
    - J<

I took the liberty to upload the file to your ftp site, epithumia. I sent you a mail.

Edumacated
    hey man! thanks alot i really appriciate it. I tried using the ftp but it didn't work. I email the circle, the keep, and the underground about it and the underground is the only one i got through to. Thanks again eshakka.

Thiefmissions.com

The mission is now in my archive; download it directly from http://thief.math.uh.edu/missions/Bl...ngFacility.zip
    - J<

Edumacated
    Thanks people.

Damnit!

You got me all excited then I go and find out it's for T2

I wish when people announced their FM's they'd tell us which game it's for like they used to in the past. Since T2 wasn't mentioned anywhere I naturally got my hopes up because I'm going into "new T1/G FM withdrawl syndrome".

This is an excellent mission for being your first. I surely hope that there is a part 2 to this. Again great job

Missing Loot

Thank you for this fun mission!

I'm stuck on the loot requirement. I have 3019 of 3200. All other objectives are complete. Any tips would be gratefully accepted

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Vault

Timmy, I'm definitely impressed with this mission , its really cool and fun to play

ok on to my question

whats the number of men facing each other?
    if oyou meant in the baracks where it was women on the left and men on the right, i tried 9, (b/c i couldnt do 10) 0, 2, still couldnt get it.

ShadowWolf
    spoiler:
    the number of men facing each other is 6
    Great job on this mission Thief13

Stuck in The Bluecoat's Training Facility

I know this is a new mission and all, so I hope someone can help me. I've been really enjoying it, but now it's becoming frustrating. I have to say it's very good for a first attempt at a FM. It's even good for a 2nd or 3rd try. I finally got the vault open. I did need some help on that.

spoiler:
    The # 6 did occur to me, but I didn't try it because the clue said "men standing facing each other" The actual # of "Men" facing each other is 0. There are 5 men standing facing 5 women. There is also one man walking back and forth. The 5 men standing are not facing each other, but rather next to each other. And as already pointed out, the 6th man isn't just standing, he pacing, and not really facing anyone. So this # should have been 0 not 6. On the other hand, I thought using the word Lager = 5 letters, on the beer bottle instead of the obvious word beer = 4 letters was ok. However, as a beer lover I'm constrained to point out that not all beers are a lager beer. But Ok, I got the vault open.

On to the next problem:
    I've found the workshop key, but I can't seem to find the workshop? I have found 2 metal doors which I cannot open. I can't pick them, nor does the key work. Is this a bug, or am I missing something? I also haven't found all the loot yet, and I think I've been every where except in these 2 rooms. An odd thing is that one door makes noise when I frob it, and the other does not. Can anyone offer some assistance here?

But as I said, this has been a very enjoyable mission.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ____

Ok, I looked some more and found another door.

spoiler:
    This one was in the basement and the workshop key opened it.

But I'm still short on loot. I have 2529 of the required 3200. Can anyone give me some ideas as to where it may be? I'll bet it's behind one of those 2 other doors I can't open. I was thinking...

spoiler:
    one of those doors should be the library door, and not capable of being opened, as explained in a note some where. But what about the other door, can it be opened and how?
    Last edited by BadArm; 12th Mar 2003 at 13:22.

Bad Arm, where have you found the workshop key?

And where is the hard evidence?

In the room of the servant under the safe can you find a lever. That was in the room where you have found the note.

Thanks.

These are not hints, but actual answers to your questions. Don't read it if you wanted hints.

spoiler:
    The workshop key in under the bed where Watts sleeps. Actually it's not under his bed, it's under the bed next to him. The hard evidence is to be found in the workshop.

Very well done, Thief13x!
    I enjoyed the mission and now I'm almost finished, I just have to find enough loot - stuck on about 3000 just like Melissa.

Edumacated
    that was defenatly one mistake i made. I created all those people in the barracks facing each other dead last. That is somthing that i may have to change because its confusing, before, the only men standing facing each other was on the sparring area out back beside the bridge (6) he's right. I am very sorry about this and i might consider doing somthing about this, because your right it is confusing.

About the loot objective, one of the things i hate about some missions is where you get all your other objectives and are running around looking for 100 loot or so. I didn't want to create this mission this way and i do apoligise. There is 3432 loot in my mission but i hid some of it. Have you grabbed all the golden pots off of each stand in the main halls? if so, check the bathroom, beside the toilet is some change the fell out of somone pocket Also, there is a moneybag with some coins that have fallen out on the chair in the dining room. And if your still running low, did you check the main entrance? 2 pots of gold on the mantle and 1 ring behind the flowerpot on the stand, plus 2 rings in the lockeroom under the benches. I hope this helps and thanks for the compliments!

Timmy

p.s, i am going to be updating my map changing a few things and fixing some textures that arn't working, it should be up for download in about 24 hrs or sooner from the same location as the last.

Edumacated
    if any of you are stumped on anything, im going to be posting a complete walkthrough along with reveiws on my site shortly. of course it will be in a link with a warning so, you won't get flashed or anything like that

I got the pots from the main entrance but otherwise I think I've missed most of the loot you mentioned...
    And if you're going to make a patch, fix the lockers, too. One of them is not finished, it's just a solid block instead of a locker with some space inside. (I think it's on the right side)

How do you get at this key? I can see it but can't get near enough to highlight it.
    Can't seem to move it with broadheads either.

BadArm and anyone missing loot - Ive played this mission and found all of the loot. Looks like you are missing quite an amount. Hard to find loot: gold coin on nightstand in the officers quarter, gold coins on the bunkbeds in the guard barracks, loose coins in the huge shower room, purse and loose coin on the floor under the dining room table, gem ring and loose coin under the bench in the locker room, gold ring in the sink in the game room, gold wine bottles under the shelf in the cellar, blue crystal behind the stack of crates in the Armory, and a loose coin on the game table in the game room. I believe there were some more gold rings, but just check each table. The hardest part was finding the gold coins. The last place I expected them to be was on the bunk beds under the guard's faces.

To answer the question about the vault combination:
    spoiler:
    I believe when it asks "# of men standing facing eachother" it is either the dummies in the courtyard, or the unarmed guards in the barracks. Either way I counted 6. When it asks "# of letters in the word spelled out with beer bottles," you must go to the game room and onto the counter. Look at the beer bottles and you should see "THIEF". Well, you thought it was lager and that was still 5 letters. Finding the Novice food item was easy; it was posted in the kitchen and = 3. The number in the manual next to guardlog was 8.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

Ottensen,

I think your problem is that you're trying to see and highlight the key and then grab it. That's not how I got it. I read in a note some where that it should be under Watts bed. I also found out from other missions that you can frob and grab something you can't see. It's like the program knows when it's highlighted even though you don't. So, just keep clicking the right mouse button as you move around the bed. Sooner of later you'll get it, and as soon as you do, there'll be a sound and it will appear in your inventory. This is how I got it. But like I said

spoiler:
    it wasn't really under Watts bed, (at least I don't think so) it was under the bed next to his. But I may be wrong because I never saw it. I just went on faith that it was there and kept clicking.

BTW Tacky, what about those 2 metal doors I couldn't get open. Did you find a way to open them?

One metal door is in the Armory and can't be accessed or opened at all. But behind this door is the library that you get to from the Servant Fritz's secret passage.

You obviously found the workshop in the cellar which has a metal door but I can't think of any others you might be talking about.

In my humble opinion..

I know I'm in the minority in this (unless it's just that people ony want to be positive), but I feel like offering some 'constructive criticism'. Overall this mission just doesn't feel real to me. Generally, I think the age-old FM paradigm applies (at least many of us believe this): "Build a smaller, more detailed mission over a bigger less detailed one and the people will rejoice." .. "Quality over quantity" might apply here as well. It seemed to me that there were lots of plain bare corridors (especially in the Armory) that I started to feel like I was playing Doom or Duke Nukem 3D again I know this was your first FM, and I accordingly will forgive you for this, but the outside could have used a lot of improvement. I know this is a challenge in any FM (to make the borders not look like borders), and it would be great if we could just build out in the middle of nowhere with a mist around the edges, but we can't.. I guess what I mean to say is the outer walls could have done with a bit of variety.. Maybe they could have been made to look like battlements or something rather than a even border? The AI patrolling the grounds, although each carrying a torch, were quite easy even for me to take down with no effort at all. I think this could have perhaps been remedied at least at one or two places by brightly lighting a section (preferrably a section that can't be walked around or avoided) and having several patrols meet up and cross paths there.. Maybe even make it a tiled or marble surface, although I know how much everyone hates that . I liked the idea of the
    spoiler:
    secret waterways in the fountains
    , but the basement is, again, not immersive and 'real' feeling. I think some of this is because of your use of copying objects and placing them in exact formations.. This very likely wouldn't be the case in a medieval city, even if it were at a Bluecoat training center.. Maybe if there were sections cut in the floor for barrels to fit in perfectly, but otherwise barrells, crates, etc. would probably be slightly off. I liked the sparring and archery areas, and the arches are nice (I would have made them a bit thicker to support the upper walkway better, but that's just me), but one runs into more problems in the main barracks.. Highly repetitive use of textures (same texture used for wall and floor with an only slightly different one used for the ceiling) made many areas more tedious to walk through than they had to be. The sleeping quarters suffered from placing excessive amounts of AI in them.. I know it's realistic, but when you play Thief you just don't expect to find a bunker full of sleeping guards (How could they sleep? Everyone snores! ), nor a room with identical pairs of the same AI facing each other (with strangely similar bunk beds, each with a manual of procedures placed piously in the exact same spot on the covers), and what's more, a thief (or shady guard) patrolling the room! Once more, it would be realistic for each guard-in-training to have their manuals close at hand, but you're just making the copy & paste, copy & paste, repeat ad infinitum procedure that much more apparent (if you do use that technique to make the process go along faster, try to do it cleverly and hide it!). Back to the room of full-fledged snoring guards, Placing guards in bunk beds is a no no: placing them on the bottom bed is a no no and placing them on the top is a no no.. Unless you teleport them when they wake up they'll likely be stuck and this makes for one tough guard to blackjack.. I remember trying to swordfight with one of those guys.. He decimated my hp while I couldn't even reach him! Another gave me a not-so-gentle love pat when I was on the top bunk above him! In the real world one could easily (easier than in Thief, anyway..) hit someone over the head with a sock, even if they were sleeping in one of those confounded bunk beds. In Thief you'll most-likely either miss and hit the bed itself (alerting the guard, who will now become an angry, shielded-by-bunk-bed guard) or miraculously make contact with a body instead of wood (fat chance of that happening.. according to my calculations you'd sooner be pelted to death by a horde of dead chinooks while a wookie and sasquatch do the macarena and Bush proclaims every tuesday to be "World Peace Day" before that happens .. Well, let's just say I wouldn't wager your only daughter on those odds ) .. Ehm. What I'm trying to say is there are some aspects that, with a little polishing, could make a top-notch level. I don't mean to be the harbinger of everything negative and ugly, but I just don't feel it right now, and when I don't feel a level, I usually stop playing it (you're probably going to say "well, shut up and go take your insults somewhere else"..), but I hope you just see this as me getting my criticisms out and perhaps balancing the continual state of flowery compliments here I don't mean to offend, insult, or discourage you from continuing your DromEd'ing (with my level of perfectionism/self-hate it will probably take five years before my first FM is released ), I just wanted to mention some things that irked me (trust me, there usually isn't a level that doesn't have something that could be improved, and that includes the OMs too.. Don't gasp at me like that, no one's perfect!). A lot of times I build up all these criticisms or things I felt were done poorly in FMs, and I don't feel that I can let them out, but hopefully I offered enough reasons/suggestions to help you in the future.. Not that I know anything about FM design or .. Anything.. My 2 cents though..

My hopes you didn't take this the wrong way (gotta have a thick heart, yo)

deadman.
    Last edited by deadman; 13th Mar 2003 at 00:10.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Hmm.

I wonder if he'll want to put that review on his site.

"That I an accessary needs must be
    To that sweet thief which sourly robs from me."
    William Shakespeare, sonnet 35

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast