TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Cashing In (Contest 4 Mission)

Cashing In (Contest 4 Mission)

Hi,
    I made 'Cashing In' for the recent fan mission contest and I wanted to get some constructive criticism. It was my first mission and so I know there are a lot mistakes I made and things I didn't have time to do (such as light switches, interesting ambient sounds...etc). I am about to start work on another project and I don't want to repeat the same mistakes so what suggestions, comments and critiques do you have?

btw, you can download it from Komag's sit here:

http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/contest4.htm (the link is at the bottom)

Thanks

EDIT:

I am now working on imrpoving my FM and including things like:

the outside
    fixing problems with sound and AI
    expanding the house
    making more variety in the textures of the walls in secret passageways and adding more switches to get into them
    moving the button for the ledger to a more sensible spot
    adding light switches

What else should I do? I plan to be working on thsi for a while, so all suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by jono456; 21st May 2003 at 07:59.

You don't even want me to open my figurative mouth I would shred you to pieces, boy! Actually, I'd have to replay the FM anyway, as I haven't played them in a while and don't recall yours in particular (which may be a good thing ) .. But I shall return.. Oh yes, I shall return with more than you can swallow! Gwahahahahaha!!! *evil laugh*

deadman.

EDIT: More evilness.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Congratulations! I haven't tried your mission yet, just wanted to congratulate you.
    You helped me once with my mission, you probably can't remember me or my mission, but thanks anyway.

The only suggestion I have for that mission is concerning the secret passages you had, very similar to T2's "Casing the Joint". I remember that I could only get into the secret passage from the two bedrooms upstairs. This was fine, but once I explored the secret passage, I realized that there were many wall panels that hatched open to reveal other rooms. The levers to open the wall panels were located in the interior of the secret passage; there weren't any switches on the outside. In my opinion, if there were switches in the rooms that adjoined with the secret passage, the secret passage would seem more handy and efficient. I barely used it except to get the loot from the servant quarters.

I enjoyed Cashing In.

It was a good one that I played more than once. I finally completed all the objectives my third time. I'd say that maybe more clues were needed, because I was just so lost. And maybe some way of distinguishing the passageways because boy did it take me forever to figure out a way back to certain areas... Other than that, great detail. It was a bit easy in regards to other areas (AI, etc...) but I do believe that it's suppossed to be that way on Normal, so no problem there. Good FM. I hope we will see more from you. If I find anything the next time I play it, I'll let you know. I'm out.
    "Don't mince words, don't be evasive, speak your mind, be persuasive." Lord Maguire Estates 2 -75%, Sea Mish - 40%
    "That's a lot of nuts!"

I liked cashing in very much.

Very polished for a first mission I think, and you managed to squeeze out a lot of gamespace (this even a word?) considering the contests limits.

One thing that was slightly tedious, was finding the secret room with the ledger. The lever is placed too far from the room with the secret compartment. I had to backtrack and search for quite a while to find what the lever opened, and I've seen lots of people asking about this secret/objective on the forums during the contest.

If you got a secret compartment, one would assume you'd keep the lever/switch mechanism conveniently close, allowing you to close said secret compartment in the event of someone approaching. Likewise, would you open your secret room if you can't see if anyone else is close to it, or are likely to walk by during the five minutes it takes for you to actually get there?

- schma

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, when I was reading the posts by people asking about the ledger I was kicking myself. Originally it was on the desk that the lever is under, but my beta-testers said it was too easy, so I decided to put the lever in and move it elsewhere. I'll have to think more logically next time.

What did you think of the architecture? Originally my beta-testers complained about it and so I added to it, but I ran out of time (and space!) on some of my ideas, such as a spiral staircase, maybe i'll work on it some more based on the suggestions here, expand it and re-release it, we'll see.

A note to anyone else who is new to making missions - plan first! I used grid paper and planned my entire mission (rooms, doorways, ai positions) and this helped tremendously! Being able to just look down and say, "That should be 16x24" was sooo helpful, even when things went wrong, I could just look at the plan and say "I'll move that there and this here to fix it". Maybe when I have more experience I will be able to just to it on the fly, but as a first timer planning helps to keep you on course.

Thanks for all the comments so far, keep them coming!

Deadman - open that mouth as wide as possible, be as EVIL as possible and then some more

Tomi - thanks, I do remember you and your mission! what was it called again? 'Deadly darkness'? I'll have to find it in darkloader and load it up again what are you working on now? Got any screenies

Tomi - thanks, I do remember you and your mission! what was it called again? 'Deadly darkness'? I'll have to find it in darkloader and load it up again what are you working on now? Got any screenies
    Well remembered!
    I've been a bit busy lately, I haven't really had time for DromEditing... Anyway, yesterday I opened DromEd again for the first time in two months and enjoyed it a lot.
    I'm currently working on a campaign for Thief 2 with 4 missions, 2 of the missions are already done... I don't have any screenies uploaded anywhere yet, but I might send some of them here soon.

I enjoyed this mission quite a bit, too. I liked all the back passageways, etc., but I have to agree with the comments about the ledger secret. It took me quite awhile to find what the lever downstairs had done. All in all, it was a very enjoyable mission though and I'll be looking forward to seeing your next one.

Agreed with the ledger secret but other than that, it was quite enjoyable, just pure thieving mission with lotsa secret passages and stuff. The difficulty was about right, it wasn't too easy like some of the other submissions. The architecture was fairly good, just a bit too cubish at times ... and you're for placing that loot in the sewer, did you realise how much time I spent on that one?

you're for placing that loot in the sewer, did you realise how much time I spent on that one?
    hehe, your lucky you know, originally it was a diamond ring, not a purse! I changed my mind while playing through one time and being unable to find it, even though I knew where it was

Ah - I've been wondering who made Cashing In! I don't know that I can give any criticism.. I really don't have any! I really liked that mission - voted it no. 1 in the gameplay section, in fact .

I can't really explain why I had so much fun in this one. I guess it's just my idea of the classic thief-style mission and gameplay - breaking into a house, stealing everything not nailed down, and avoiding patrolling guards. I mean, I like undead and apebeasts as much as the next person, but housebreakers are my ideal missions.

Although the basement switch problem could have been slightly more obvious .

Thanks jono456, and I'll leave you with the final section of my note (I made a note on each mission after playing it): Whoever the author is, please keep designing missions!

Wow! Thanks for the compliments Lachlan! I suppose I designed this mission with housebreakers in mind Spiders, undead, etc are definitley not my cup of tea.

Have you read Wildfire's reviews? They're a good read, have a look:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=65382

Yeah I checked those out - they all seemed like fair scores, and the reviewer definitely put a bit of effort into them!
    Now we just need KoMaG to post the results for contest 4, to see what everyone else thought . And he said maybe next Saturday.. it's now Sunday here (just) so it shouldn't be too much longer..
    No.. wait.. daylight saving.. still Saturday

Yes, the ledger thing...I agree. The switches on both sides would have been good too. I agree. Other than that, I felt as though I were playing an OM, and I thought it was fantastic, and the layout and atmosphere were great too.

I'm not as good at praising as I am at criticizing, so consider everything not mentioned well done

1. Apart from the missing outside switches for the secret passages, some of the doors got in each others way when opened. I know it's hard to do within the given size limit, but maybe they should have been placed further away from each other somehow. Don't worry too much about it, Casing the Joint had the same problems in some passages

2. I found it strange that the kitchen was down in the secret passages. If I would build such a house in the real world, I wouldn't tell my servants about the secret places, let alone build the kitchen down there.

3. If I remember right, when I went to the last room, Garrett said "Time for me to leave" or something like that, although I hadn't yet completed all objectives. You should prevent the voiceover from triggering before everything is done. I dind't analyze the mission in Dromed, but such things can be done with RATs (Require All Traps) and FnordLocks. Would lead too far to explain that here...

Thanks for the comments Bumbleson, in answer to your questions:

1. Yes, the passages were a problem, I also had the problem that sometimes they could be opened through the wall, but both problems were due to space restrictions.

2. Having the kitchen in the basement, this is actually kind of important to the plot I had in mind originally and maybe if I release version 1.1 I will reveal the reason, my idea is based upon the third book of the myst trilogy.

3. I didn't know anything about all the different types of traps - I'll fix that if I make another release.

And don't worry about being good at criticizing - this is a skill which is hard to do! Being able to tell someone problems without hurting there feelings is a difficult skill, and much more important than being a 'yes man' - I appreciate all comments, good and bad

I thought it had very good game play. I played it in Ghost mode, successfully, and found the AI timimg to be quite tense (that's good). The multiple doors in the secret passage were a kick. I remember one that had two doors, and it was quite difficult to get them to both open at the same time. I kept running to one side and the other by a complicated route to find the combination of switches that would do it. Finally I succeeded, and I was so happy that my efforts might lead to finding a new place. Not to be. I just entered a place that I had already been via another route through the basement. So, that part of the play was both time consuming and frustrating. I suggest giving some thought to the puzzle aspects of things like that and make the reward commensurate with the effort.

I have already mentioned some ideas I had for another release of this mission and now i'm working on it, are there any more suggestions?

Thanks

Archivist
    One of those missions that made me feel bad after robbing the place of all valuables.

Liked the different music themes (though they switch too randomly in game).
    Good work with the architecture and the hidden passages, which reminded me of the movie "The People Under The Stairs" .
    Sometimes the rotating doors got me stuck, however.

Completed in 37 minutes and 20 seconds, with all loot found, on Expert.

The "No kill objective" is no longer a challenge for most players these days. A ghosting requirement would've been a welcome objective on the highest difficulty.

About suggestions, nearly everything has already been said. But beside the above mentioned, I still got one:
    - For every player it must be a mystery what the switch under the desk in the basement opens. Since the Ledger can be found in the office room with the safe, the blank book on the desk could contain a hint. Something like "I hide the ledger in my hidden compartment. it should be safe there". This gives people a hint about where to go afterwards.

I'm aware that this comes several years too late, but whatever .

Nice work Jono.
    Improved version ?? ... gimme... *checks date* ahh crap.

One thing I'm wondering: seeing Garrett start in the middle of the house, how did he gain access to the manor?

Yes, sadly the expanded version never progressed very far - I worked on an exterior for the house (planned to add a small amount of city that you had to wander through first), but it never got beyond the most basic form.

As for how you got in, from memory I had thought you climbed in through a nearby window, though in the expanded version I planned to make it very flexible :-)

Hmmm... my current machine does not have thief installed, but I wonder if my laptop could handle it... after all, it would give me something to do on the train in the morning! Hmmm.....

Archivist
    Quote Originally Posted by jono456 View Post
    As for how you got in, from memory I had thought you climbed in through a nearby window, though in the expanded version I planned to make it very flexible :-)
    Thanks for making that clear. I came up with the fireplace route, but that would've been a bit unlikely