TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Problems in THE KEEP - updated 2002.10.20

Problems in THE KEEP - updated 2002.10.20

The search feature doesn't seem to work when I type in this mission's name, so I'll just have to ask a question here. I've been enjoying this mission except for one thing. There seems to be a lot of doors I can't open, and the keys are really hard to find. My present problem is that I want to get into the Armory before I go confront Ramirez's henchmen. I can't figure out how to get in there. So, could someone please just tell me? I want a spoiler for this.

You're right about the search. I tried it too and came up with nothing, which is very strange, because I know there have been multiple posts about this mission!

Anyway, the key to the armoury is on a drunk guard who is lying on the ground in the park. .

I just finished playing The Keep, and I'd like to congratulate Apache, Flakeman, and everyone else involved in producing it, on a mission very well done. I enjoyed it very much. It was hard, but not too hard. It had riddles, but they were solvable with some effort. And one of it's best features was no spiders or undead that weren't avoidable. I was kinda sorry to see it end. Yup, my kind of mission.

If you were sorry to see it end, there's more... The Keep is actually the final mission in a 4-mission campaign. I think the other 3 in the series are Ramirez's Revenge, Stowaway, and Hunt for Montrose. They're all definitely worth playing. Actually, you can find them bundled into one as "Apache's T1 Mission Pack" so you can play them one after the other and carry over your money and everything. I like to think of Apache's campaign as "Thief 1.5"

Note that if you don't like undead and spiders, you might not like "Hunt for Montrose", which (if I remember correctly) is exclusively undead and spiders..with necessary confrontations (especially if you play on Expert)... Of course, Hunt for Montrose is my favorite of the 4...heh

My Thief 2 has gone on an accidental holiday to Berlin so I'm playing a few Thief 1 fms. I've found an answer to one question in The Keep but does anyone know
    spoiler:
    Down in the sewers there's a spot with a crate and a gap which you can see through - can I open what looks like a door or do I get to this bit later when I eventually find the keep?

Never mind - Found the keep but
    spoiler:
    I can't cope with that many undead so I am abandoning this one
    although I was really enjoying it.
    Last edited by nickie; 10th Oct 2004 at 03:54.

Gerhard Eichberger

Quote Originally Posted by nickie
    My Thief 2 has gone on an accidental holiday to Berlin so I'm playing a few Thief 1 fms. I've found an answer to one question in The Keep but does anyone know
    spoiler:
    Down in the sewers there's a spot with a crate and a gap which you can see through - can I open what looks like a door or do I get to this bit later when I eventually find the keep?
    When I remember correctly you can open this door with a fire arrow. Inside there are three chests, which give you some information that can be helpful or not. However you can only open one of these chests - when doing so the others will disappear.

However I think these informations are not worth the one fire-arrow. So save before using it and use it just to see the part inside this door. Reload then the game and continue - you could need this fire-arrow later...

(I have had used my fire-arrow on this and had then no one in a place where I'd like to have one...)
    Never mind - Found the keep but
    spoiler:
    I can't cope with that many undead so I am abandoning this one
    although I was really enjoying it.
    This is no problem. You needn't handle them - just run.

And don't quit here, the rest is very worth to see...

Gerhard

Gerhard is right, there aren't many undead. Pretty much just that one corridor and you can run through without being touched. The rest of the mission is well worth playing. If you're playing T1 missions, have you played The Order of the Vine, Secret Way, Lorgan's Web or Mystery Man? All very good missions.

Yes but so long ago that I'm playing them again - its been quite good not having T2 for a while I've come across loads of excellent T1s I can play now I don't use my own pc - at least I can mostly see what I'm doing.

I will do as you suggest, close my eyes, hold my breath and run.

You're right - well worth continuing! - By the way, anyone searching for The Keep - better results with Apache's skull.
    Reading other posts on what to do with the skull I also had a problem finding it
    spoiler:
    after killing the beast with fire arrows. I found the scroll and put the force gem on the centre bit and it rose up and I could just frob the skull underneath.
    If that's of any help in the future.
    Last edited by nickie; 11th Oct 2004 at 03:04.

Stumped in The Keep

I have really hit an impasse while descending into the keep. About 3/4 of the way down I have come to a trestle-like footbridge with
    spoiler:
    drop away panels.
    Tried jumping, roping , climbing over but I get killed each time. Is this the only way to get to the bottom? It doesn't seem possible to cross at all.

Gerhard Eichberger
    Quote Originally Posted by bobber
    I have really hit an impasse while descending into the keep. About 3/4 of the way down I have come to a trestle-like footbridge with
    spoiler:
    drop away panels.
    Tried jumping, roping , climbing over but I get killed each time. Is this the only way to get to the bottom? It doesn't seem possible to cross at all.
    This is a bit tricky. You can only walk on the woodern parts of the bridge. So you have to jump here very often. It is very hard, but doable.

There seems not to be another way to get further here.

Gerhard

Thank you Gerhard. I'll try it again.
    Do you know where the skull of Apache is? There is a pedestal at the top of the walkway with a door that opens. What's that about?

Get across the bridge, explore the area below and you'll find it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobber
    spoiler:
    drop away panels.
    One of the optional hints in the sewer room tells you to aim for the mushrooms So my way of crossing the bridge is to shoot some rope arrows next to the light shrooms and do some Tarzan-ish leaping.
    On the bottom you'll find a scroll that ells what to do next

Help with review required

Guess this might be a Q. For nightwalker, but I'd love to write a review for this fm as I loved it, but for the life of me I could never find the entrance to the actual keep itself. Can't pick the locks at the front gate, can't frob anything through the window. Been round and round the whole map, any ideas....thanks in advance

Oops may have just found the answer to my own Q. In the forum of Apache, was looking in the keep forum, which gives no real help. Will come back to you when I try to replay the mission....

The Keep itself isn't found in the town. It's a bit harder to get to so the building you are trying to get into may be Ramirez' mansion.

Thanks for help nightwalker, found what I was looking for,it was in the safe never saw it there last time I played
    Last edited by fortuni; 13th Mar 2014 at 15:38.

In the keep itself, have now killed the beast and read the scroll stating that Apache's skull is the key to getting out. But when I put the force gem on the pedestal nothing happens. I can see the skull underneath, can anyone one remember what you are meant to do or is it possible that the HDmod is causing a glitch. Thanks in advance

Oops found solution. It's not the force gem, you need to do something else...

Just a quick note. When playing this fm in HD, it appears that the secret in the sewers, once discovered, shows the scrolls but not the loot boxes, but this is not essential to the finishing of the game so don't worry, you won't be stuck in anyway.