TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: 'A Keeper's Training' roofs.. How I did it.

'A Keeper's Training' roofs.. How I did it.

Yo. I know dozens have probably already been up on all the roofs in 'Training', but I thought I'd give it a go myself, and maybe help others who want to achieve it too..

Unfortunately, my remote-loading service (freepichosting.com) isn't working right now, so you'll just have to click the links and follow the instructions..

The first area

[list=1][*]Climb the rope, etc. etc. Once on the walkway, either do a double-running jump or single jump up onto the wood support beam. Run to the end of this beam (indicated by the "1" circle). and ..
    [*]Jump straight across to the upper roof (it helps sometimes to do a double half-assed kangaroo jump). If you're lucky, you'll sort of get 'stuck' in it, which is what we want. Make your way over to three by slowly edging along pressing forward and right (to make sure you don't fall off).
    [*]This is where it gets tricky. You'll want to fall off the tiled roof and mantle onto the flat brick roof almost simultaneously. I don't know how to explain this very well, but, after a few tries you should be up. From here, explore, go sight-seeing! [/list=1]

The second area

[list=1][*]This is much easier in my opinion. From the top of the walkway or highest step, jump onto the supporting beam (indicated by the "1" circle, again). Walk to the left-most edge..
    [*]Run to the edge and jump onto the corner of the roof (indicated by the "2" circle). If you did this right you should be able to mantle yourself up.
    [*]Quicky turn left and mantle yourself onto the blue-tiled roof nearby as you fall. If you don't even get the grunting sound you probably either tried too far to the right or weren't fast enough (at least that's what happened to me)[/list=1]

From here, you can again go sight-seeing. If you want to get to the other side simply take a running jump across the red-tiled roof and mantle yourself onto the flat blue-brick roof across. I didn't include a picture as it would seem pretty daft, what with such a straightforward goal

Again, I'm sure many have done this, but I thought I'd offer some suggestions of my own (as I haven't seen any in the length of time I've been here.. Too bad I missed Azal's "Strange and Unusual" guide for Thief I )

Cheers and good luck,

deadman.

Oh, and by the way, here are a few miscellaneous captures (sorry about being so big at 640x480 for you modem users.. I tried to optimize them for the web in Photoshop)..

KeepersTraining_23_small.jpg
    KeepersTraining_26_small.jpg
    KeepersTraining_27_small.jpg
    KeepersTraining_30_small.jpg
    KeepersTraining_34_small.jpg (You can get yourself stuck in the "stars" by leaning forward and jumping )
    KeepersTraining_32_small.jpg (I think I'm getting a nosebleed.. )
    Last edited by deadman; 28th Mar 2003 at 00:46.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Re: 'A Keeper's Training' roofs.. How I did it.

Originally posted by deadman
    Again, I'm sure many have done this, but I thought I'd offer some suggestions of my own (as I haven't seen any in the length of time I've been here.. Too bad I missed Azal's "Strange and Unusual" guide for Thief I )

I never did a Guide for T1 - luckily, a very dedicated taffer named Thumper was kind enough to do one. Indeed, it was his work which inspired me to make my eforts.

Thumper's Guide to the Strange and Unusual Thief

BTW - you missed a climbing spot!

Climb onto the table where you get your sword and bow and jump onto the tree. Quickly mantle onto the ledge around the courtyard. The next part is very tricky:

You need to do at least two strafe-jumps to pick up speed and if you jump from the very edge of the ledge, you can grab the roof above the table and mantle onto it.
    Last edited by Azal; 28th Mar 2003 at 05:59.

Re: Re: 'A Keeper's Training' roofs.. How I did it.

Originally posted by Azal
    I never did a Guide for T1 - luckily, a very dedicated taffer named Thumper was kind enough to do one. Indeed, it was his work which inspired me to make my eforts.

Thumper's Guide to the Strange and Unusual Thief

You're kidding me! I was sure you made one for Thief I too! I remember seeing the guide for the last mission (it said Thumber in the author section??)

*blushes* Didn't either! That was the only spot that I had read about online already, so whats the use in telling people stuff they already know? It's just that I hadn't seen any instructions on how to get to the other areas, and I hadn't gotten to them myself .. Doesn't look like people are interested though *shrug* *sniffle*

Again, I tried, but alas, my poor efforts are never good enough. If the name isn't akin to 'Azal' or 'Luthien' it doesn't deserve to be read Or maybe everyone has gotten to the other roofs already? I had thought all the lazy run-of-the-mill taffers like me wouldn't have cared much.

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Re: Re: Re: 'A Keeper's Training' roofs.. How I did it.

Originally posted by deadman
    Again, I tried, but alas, my poor efforts are never good enough. If the name isn't akin to 'Azal' or 'Luthien' it doesn't deserve to be read Or maybe everyone has gotten to the other roofs already? I had thought all the lazy run-of-the-mill taffers like me wouldn't have cared much.
    Your efforts are wonderful! It's the first Training Roof Climbing Guide I've seen that doesn't encourage the player to use the basketball or bedroll to aid them. Now I just have to try and duplicate that nosebleed screenshot. How the taff did you get up there? And how is Garrett staying balanced on that point?

What happened to Thumper anyway? He hasn't posted for almost a year and he's still a mod at the Editors' Guild. I couldn't find a post explaining why he left...

Re: Re: Re: Re: 'A Keeper's Training' roofs.. How I did it.

Originally posted by Francine
    Your efforts are wonderful! It's the first Training Roof Climbing Guide I've seen that doesn't encourage the player to use the basketball or bedroll to aid them. Now I just have to try and duplicate that nosebleed screenshot. How the taff did you get up there? And how is Garrett staying balanced on that point?
    Thanks for the words of encouragement I swear I don't say negative things about myself to get noticed or encouraged, I just really have a super low self-esteem! Yeah, after I saw Thumper's guide, I thought "At least I have pictures!". Its easy to offer instructions, but without accompanying photos with numbers or arrows it's pretty hard for certain taffers (me included, I'm very visual) to figure out what the taff people are talking about! So I assume you got up without too much trouble? It isn't that hard, especially the last section.. I wonder why Thumper said it was? I can get up to "The second area" with a higher probability of success than the first section I talked about.. I wonder why Anyway, it's fairly easy to get balanced on the top of that particular roof.. You just have to mantle up onto the different non-slidy roof section and walk up. It took me a few tries at first (it would mantle on the red part, but not the other texture for some reason), but it's simple stuff I don't know, maybe I'm just selfish and do want to become like Azal or Luthien, despite all my warnings that I'm just a normal taffer who doesn't! Ahh well, both are great guys, I wouldn't mind joining the club.

thanks again,

deadman.

Oh, yeah

I had forgotten that you can push the sparring partner back into the courtyard. You have to be under the gate when it tries to close, then it won't close till you get far enough away from it. (Be careful, you can close it by frobbing it. Once closed it cannot be opened.) Then hit him with your sword and push.

Then you can deadman off him all over the courtyard. Be sure to save when you have everything setup, it's really easy to get stuck behind the archery targets.

You can even take him with you to the next area.

http://users.gsat.net.au/AZA/Thief/training.jpg
    I have never been able to make that last jump...

It's much easier with bush jumping

1) Face a bush in the sparring area and crouch.
    2) Strafe left until you almost reach the edge of the rectangular block that denotes the physical (not visible) boundaries of the bush.
    3) lean forward. Garrett's head hits the bush. (If not, restart at 1)
    4) Slowly turn left until Garrett's head snaps past the bush. If that does not happen, you are too far away from the edge.
    5) Jump.

==> Garrett flies upwards and away from the bush. Velocity and angle of his flight can be controlled by how far you turn away from the bush and the distance from its edge.

Note: You have to crouch to do this.

This method is a walk in the park - extremely easy to do and fun. Quite unlike the frustrating trial and error approach with NPC jumping.

Bush jumping is kind of limited. You can get any where with NPC jumping; with bush jumping you can really only go in whatever direction the rectangle is facing. And you can move the NPC, the bush won't budge.

KeepersTraining_34_small.jpg (You can get yourself stuck in the "stars" by leaning forward and jumping )

"My God, it's full of stars", said Dave.

deadman, TY so much! 1st pic's I've ever seen of 'up there'. I keep sliding off those red tiles.

Keep it up deadman - there are too few climbers left these days. We're like the Hammers as they were described back in T1 - Once we were the power, now we're just a bunch of guys pining for the old days

Just because most places have been climbed, does not diminish the sense of achievement you get when you make it there.

I still haven't made my way onto the roof of the Cragscleft mines from the main shaft, or some of the other places accesible in T1 since Luthien's discovery of staircasing and elevatoring. I'm saving them as incentive until I finish the S&U guide.

Azal, I recommend you never try elelevatoring. It has ruined all the climbing fun for me.

Originally posted by Azal
    Keep it up deadman - there are too few climbers left these days. We're like the Hammers as they were described back in T1 - Once we were the power, now we're just a bunch of guys pining for the old days

Just because most places have been climbed, does not diminish the sense of achievement you get when you make it there.
    Many thanks, Azal and jstnomega, I know it's silly, but I don't feel as if it's a good enough achievement unless I've done something never done before. I'm sure there are a few last places to go in Thief I and II, but they probably aren't places/things I could succeed at. I should just do what I can and be satisfied at that, but what with my low self-esteem tis hard. You're right Azal, and I suppose your quote is even more relevant for me as I am definitely more of a Thief I taffer (and although I hated the Hammers, they weren't half as bad as the Mechies). I still think traditional climbing has something to offer. For me it would be more of an achievement than flarejumping or staircasing. It's especially nice to get up to high areas in places where resources aren't available for those techniques too. Thief has so much to offer; I think it's amazing we all have such a great respect for this game that we'd spend hours and hours reaching previously unreachable areas, doing crazy things that shouldn't be allowed, and coming up with all those shots of bodies!

I still haven't made my way onto the roof of the Cragscleft mines from the main shaft, or some of the other places accesible in T1 since Luthien's discovery of staircasing and elevatoring. I'm saving them as incentive until I finish the S&U guide.
    Hmm.. Maybe I should try this next I wanted to get up into those hills in "Two Fathers" too.. Looked mighty appetizing ..

Also, maybe you should put elevatoring away for a bit, if it's ruining all your fun Luthien

deadman.