TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Tutorial: Alerting AI at will

Tutorial: Alerting AI at will

No, I haven't written the tutorial yet. But I will if the technique I've found is not common knowledge (and since I could not find it in my searches through TEG, I assume it's not). How many people know how to alert a guard using the AI->Utility->Sound value property?

Fox

Please enlighten us poor unwashed masses.

Never heard of it, but always willing to learn!
    Shadowspawn's Thief Pages
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

That's something I'd like to know, too. Until now I used conversations to simulate alerted guards. Please share thy wisdom

Open up envsound.spc and find this line:

tag SwitchType BPush BPull BElev BRmz BBook LvWall LvThrow LvFloor1 LvFloor2 LvSlide LvPanel PPlate LvScope LvRotate LvMechAnt

Change it to:

tag SwitchType BPush BPull BElev BRmz BBook LvWall LvThrow LvFloor1 LvFloor2 LvSlide LvPanel PPlate LvScope LvRotate LvMechAnt BAlarm

Then open up miscsfx.sch (or any other schema file) and add:

schema alert_sound
    archetype DEVICE_ALARM
    b_push
    env_tag (Event Activate) (SwitchType BAlarm)

Open up Dromed, reload the schemas. Find alert_sound, and add the AI->Utility->Sound value property with these settings:

Type: Non-combat high
    Signal: alarm

Under the button section of the hierarchy, add a new archetype (I called it AlertButton), with these properties:

Renderer->Render Type: Not Rendered
    Schema->Class Tags: SwitchType BAlarm

The shape and tweq settings are at your discretion. I copied them from the regular button, so I'm not sure if their absence will make this fail to work; the tweq settings in particular might control the sound emitted by the button.

Save the gamesys (of course).

You now have a new type of button, AlertButton, which will alert all AI in the area when it is pressed (more properly, it'll alert everyone who hears it). For instance, you can set it in the path of an AI, and put an AIWatchObj link from the AI to the button, commanding it to frob the button when close enough. The effect of this will be that an AI patrols to a certain point, and then starts to search... and then when it ceases searching, it will resume the patrol (and perhaps trigger the search again on the next pass, depending on the reset and link kill settings).

Right now the AlertButton uses the default button-pushing noise, but that can be changed to anything (preferably something the player won't hear) by replacing the "b_push" above. Changing the volume in the schema file might also control the distance at which the button is effective.

So far this is the most reliable method I've found of repeatedly alerting an AI. It works much, much better than teleporting zombies.

Fox

Clever! I was just mucking around with a gong in my mission. I didn't want it to alert all the guards, I had a different purpose in mind. I couldn't figure out what was the real difference between a dinner_bell and the gong. They are pretty similar. Although the gong has a script associated with it, I wonder if you need it.

The AI -> Utility -> Sound now makes perfect sense.

Perhaps I should modify the windows in the shop to have this function if Garrett breaks them. The patrolling guards would respond more realistically.
    Shadowspawn's Thief Pages
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

Originally posted by Shadowspawn
    Clever! I was just mucking around with a gong in my mission. I didn't want it to alert all the guards, I had a different purpose in mind. I couldn't figure out what was the real difference between a dinner_bell and the gong. They are pretty similar. Although the gong has a script associated with it, I wonder if you need it.

The AI -> Utility -> Sound now makes perfect sense.

Perhaps I should modify the windows in the shop to have this function if Garrett breaks them. The patrolling guards would respond more realistically.
    Gully... I was wondering how I was going to make my alarm sounds...

(So AI resposes are Tagged to sound-refs in the schema INSIDE DROM... Interesting... I assumed it was all hard coded.. Does reloading schemas remove these added tags?)

Cool! I used something similar for a playable horn by modifying the harp sound so it alarms guards.

You could them modify the signal respose to use specialized tagged sounds.

Such as an evactution alarm... (ALL AIs would have special directions on how to escape... using pre-defined paths...

AMAZING....

Originally posted by Eshaktaar
    Cool! I used something similar for a playable horn by modifying the harp sound so it alarms guards.
    I'm not touching that harp

Anarchic, I'm waiting for Shadowspawns mission so stop giving him more ideas, eh?

I wonder if using an alarm as an Enviromental sound will keep all the guards at alert...

Hmmmmm

It's certainly more than I can do yet with AI alerts. The best I might do is modify AI\Alertness directly. It ought to work, but I haven't tested it.