TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scarriest Fan Mission : Deceptive Perception

Archivist

Scarriest Fan Mission : Deceptive Perception

If you're looking for a scarry fanmission then this is what you're looking for. It's definately the scarriest fan mission ever. It's a little short though, but it's really worth a try.
    Anyone who has also played it?

Oooh! Lots of us have played this one and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's definitely one of the scariest and most atmospheric FMs I've ever played and very well done. I'm looking forward to seeing what turns up in DP 2.

BANNED
    I am looking forward to DP 2 also. Another scary one is Inverted Manse your first way through. I quit playing it a few times because of the fear factor.

The very first scary one ever was of course the infamous Return To The Haunted Catherdel, at this point i was a newbie and didn't know about backstabbing haunts so kept getting killed.

Some of the locations in Ruins of Organia had quite a creeply feeling, like those tombs.

i refuse to play this mission. 2 minutes into it, i was thinking "nope, no way".
    hehe, i don't want a heart attack

If you haven't tried equilibrium, then you should. It's the only fan mission I've played that caused me to lose sleep and call it quits on thief for a few weeks. I'm still amazed that I finished that mission. Brrrr!

Originally posted by rb47
    Some of the locations in Ruins of Organia had quite a creeply feeling, like those tombs.
    That's not what comes to mind for me. When I reached the bottom of the crater at the start of the fourth mission, I felt like I was going to die in a few moments, and it was the wait the really scared me, not knowing when it was going to happen. I get the feeling I found out what the people in london felt like when the engine of the V1s cut out.

Taking a break
    I had plenty of 'I wish I had a BFG 9000' moments in Ruins of Origina!

Wow, I just played DP. I think my urine went backwards into my kidney! There must be a warning on the sequel. I'm sure a few old farts were already seized up by this one.

i refuse to play this mission. 2 minutes into it, i was thinking "nope, no way".

Mentaldistortion

True confession - I only made it for the first 5 minutes myself. I am such a chickensh....
    The problem is choice...

Originally posted by Rebelteen
    I'm sure a few old farts were already seized up by this one.
    You young ones are just soft - easy blackjack material .

I must say, this is the first FM I played with my NEW 5.1 Logitech speakers, and I was blown away by not only the speakers themselves, but the shear quality of "scarryness" that this mission has to offer.

Deceptive Perceptions I didn't find the scariest... but it _was_ quite scary, and it was just SO COOL. Awesome work.

Ghost

I know this sounds silly...

[Folks]

But I'm kind of stuck.

Warning, inside the spoiler-box below are actual spoilers, which you really shouldn't read if you haven't played the mission!

spoiler:
    I went through the top level, saw the ghostly figure, saw the hammer fall (or actually, saw it after it fell ), found the ladder, went down, avoided the little spiders (on a previous save, I saw one turn into a giant spider), got the dagger, went back up, saw the rearranged starting room, saw the metal door fly open and the crate fly out and smash, and stood near the statuary and heard the clunking noise.

But what happens next? I have no idea where to go or what I'm supposed to do, seeing as I've fulfilled the only objective that makes game sense. Obviously, since the game isn't ending, there is more. Where?

Thanks,

Dafydd

It's been a while since I played this one, but I believe you should be able to talk to your co-worker at the top level.

spoiler:
    He'll tell you, that you have received a crate, and when you turn your back to collect it, the most horrible thing happens.

Excellent mission, short and to the point.
    I was watching the original version of "The Ring" when I played it, and it freaked me backwards!

The Japanese version of The Ring is most scary movie, ever. Not a drop of blood, not a single latex monster, no CGI but it is the most frightening thing I ever saw. I recommend the movie, but it's not for weak of heart. I couldn't sleep for a couple of days. And I still awe at the wickedly smart plot the movie had.

Oh and DP is Thief equivalent of Ring...only I foun that
    spoiler:
    spider
    a little over the top... but the rest fits perfectly.

Ghost

My co-worker?

[Cerebus]

For heaven's sake, why must people be so cryptic?

It's been a while since I played this one, but I believe you should be able to talk to your co-worker at the top level.
    Who is my "co-worker?" I haven't seen anybody here but myself and a dead body down below (who is Garrett's ex-landlord). I have no idea what this means. Can you explicitly tell me what I am supposed to do at this point, please?

Thanks,

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 25th Sep 2003 at 17:39.

Nah, Rowena's Curse is easily the Thief equivalent of the Ring. Deceptive Perceptions is the Thief equivalent of... of... something else... which is probably a Stephen King novel I haven't read yet. But what a great use of a small space DP is!

Ghost

Still stuck

[Folks]

Was something supposed to happen that didn't?

spoiler:
    First time down, I saw one of the little spiders change to a huge spider. Curious, I tried to creep up and backstab it, but it skittered away and started to attack. Still hoping to be able to backstab, I reloaded to the previous save. But this time, I crept more carefully through and only faintly alerted the little spider that follows you around -- and none of the spiders turned into the huge one this time.

Did I mess up? Should I go back and deliberately make a lot of noise to wake them all up? Do I need to see the huge spider in order to progress to the next phase?

Thanks,

Dafydd

What got me the most was the
    spoiler:
    We're here scroll then the zombies behind you!!!

Ghost

Ah. Got it.

[Folks]

Yes, it was what I thought in my last post:

spoiler:
    You must make enough noise to trigger the giant spider downstairs in order to see the end. If you don't get the giant spider, you won't get the disembowling and all that good stuff.

Incidentally, after I went down and triggered the big spider, I went upstairs and saved before talking to the shipping guy. The first time into his office after he gets it, I had my back to the door as I read the note... and I was killed by what sounded like a zombie.

I reloaded, and this time, after he was killed, and after looking at the crate I had received, when I went into the office and read the "we're here" note, I was facing the door (and drew my sword before reading). When I escaped out of reading the note, I actually saw the zombie horde approaching. They advanced a bit towards me, and the mission ended... but this time, with me being successful!

Dafydd

spoiler:
    You definately want the spider to appear. I suspect you didn't trigger a boundstrigger somewhere. This level is one big series of triggered events, so if you miss one, it screws everything up. Either reload an earlier save, or play it over from the start. Hopefully this will fix the bug

Please don't read further if you haven't played this level. Half the fun/scare of DP is in the surprises.

Okay, I warned you. I think the problem happened at the spider part. When you find the body and get your dagger, you should turn around to find the huge spider occupying the next room. Don't worry about a ghost bust, just sneak past the spider and head back upstairs. If the spider appeared then hopefully the rest of the level will work. When you get back upstairs, a man should be standing in the doorway of the righthand office. This is your "co-worker" and he should tell you what to do next, when you approach him. If he doesn't appear after you have the dagger and have seen the spider, then something may be wrong with your copy of DP, I suppose. Hope it works for you!

Happy Taffing!

Edit: Whoops! Looks like I took too long writing up a response! I'm glad you got it to work though - it is quite the experience

Deceptive Perceptions is the Thief equivalent of... of... something else... which is probably a Stephen King novel I haven't read yet.
    How can you insult this mission, and it's author like that?

It's almost as bad as when people say The Shining is a better book than movie.

Ghost

Hm. Fun, yes. Atmospheric. But scary?

[Folks]

I have to say that I enjoyed this FM, loved the atmos, thought the shocks were nicely done. But frankly, I didn't really find it scary, as in frightening. A couple of times I raised an eyebrow, but I certainly never leapt from my chair or knocked over my soda.

Danger, spoiler for Equilibrium below:

spoiler:
    (I certainly wasn't as startled as I was in -- uh, Equilibrium? -- the first time a Keeper-Assassin zoomed past.)

I do eagerly look forward to DP2, to see what he -- William the Taffer? -- can do with a real mission, though; he's got mood down pat.

Dafydd

Originally posted by Lobster
    How can you insult this mission, and it's author like that?

It's almost as bad as when people say The Shining is a better book than movie.
    Um, where were you when I said in this very thread

Deceptive Perceptions I didn't find the scariest... but it _was_ quite scary, and it was just SO COOL. Awesome work.
    ? I LIKED this mission. Quite a bit. Almost certainly the best 64 cube out there, and 64 isn't easy to do because you have to pack a lot into a small space. Absolutely no insulting was going on.

Dude, Will the Taffer even said the mission was based on a Stephen King story or book, one of the above. It's not about value comparisons. It's about Rowena's Curse having a plot and creep factor vaguely similar to the Ring (someone dead not staying dead like a good little corpse, but instead haunting their family and those who interfere) while Deceptive Perceptions was based on something Stephen King wrote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast