TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM Freedom For Nepumuk May 6,2003

The objectives are:

Easy

1) Meet Lars at the 'Hung Scoundrel Tavern'. He should have some useful information about the Baron and the tower.
    2) Why shouldn't I free Nepumuk? He knows many things that interest me...
    3) I need at least 2000 loot. Winter's ahead and the prices for lampoil just went up again.

Hard

1) Meet Lars at the 'Hung Scoundrel Tavern'. He should have some useful information about the Baron and the tower.
    3) I lent Melvin my Hand of Glory, and now the idiot is imprisoned in the baron's tower. I must have it back! And I really shouldn't give it away anymore - I'm too trusting.
    4) I need to find at least 2500 gold. The landlord wants 3 months rent in advance, and I'd rather not spend the winter on the streets.

Expert

3) I lent Melvin my Hand of Glory, and now the idiot is imprisoned in the baron's tower. I must have it back! And I really shouldn't give it away anymore - I'm too trusting.
    4) The Horn of Quintus has often meant exciting (and profitable) adventures for me. It has appeared again, and rumor has it the Baron's got it. Time for it to disappear again - into my pocket!
    5) I am Garrett, the master thief. I need to steal at least 3000 gold, or my reputation will be tarnished.

There is another objective that appears partway through the mission. It's
    spoiler:
    He's dead. I had better find Nepumuk's evidence and get the hell out of here!"

There is a package that contains English translations of the texts that you can install. Check this thread for information about it.

Playing on hard...

Hello!

I've finished the mission, but there's a ton of missing loot and some areas I never discovered how to access:

spoiler:
    (1) I never found the key to the Sargeant's safe... there's a hint in this thread to search the rooftops, but I did to no avail...

(2) How did y'all get past those two zombies? Eek! I never found holy water or flash bombs, and I'm usually a whack and stack kinda thief Any hints from you ghosts?

(3) Those two locked doors in the dungeons, above a rectangular pool of water - I never found a key for those doors. Just for show?

(4) Any other loot hints would be grand!

Thanks for the fun mission!

Cheers,
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

Melissa -

spoiler:
    1) I hope I'm talking about the same room that you are: the key to the sergeant's safe -- assuming you get into the room, more on that in a second -- is in a tiny window high above his desk; rope arrow up there. As for getting into the room itself, it's accesible via a sloping wood room in the courtyard...by a wall you will see some small cages next to a chimney. Get onto the wide roof next to it, then go through the shuttered window...that's the room.

2) Well...there are a couple of flashmines available in the mission, but you can just evade the zombies by using elevated surfaces to your advantage.

3) I'm guessing they're just for show, yes. That drives me crazy.

4) I missed about 450 loot myself, but at this point I'm happy that I finished the mission at all...

...especially when the stupid servants would jump up and run for help even after I put an arrow in their backs. Logic? Hello? Could somebody get me a cup of logic, please?? My solution: remove the help they seek. They're alone. All alone.

[I also had issues with the sheer number of guards walking around with lanterns, but I'm responding to psychotherapy nicely, thank you.]
    The Foxhole
    "...so she went to the Sorbonne. You know, in France?"
    "Oh. For a minute there, I thought you meant the one in Utah."

Thanks, Silver Sorrow!

spoiler:
    Hmmm... I never found any flash mines. Yet I think I've covered the entire map! I know that I also haven't found the stash of loot that's supposed to be in the "middle bar of the tower" (from a note in one of the barrack's chests). Did anyone find that one?

Cheers!
    -M
    Your mileage may vary

spoiler:
    The flashmines are on a shelf in a small room (hidden out of the way in a corner by some barrels) where you can pick up a moss arrow and a water arrow...I can't remember where that room is now, but it's somewhere in the castle.

As for the hidden loot mentioned in the disgruntled slave's note, it's close by. There's a kind of circular tower in the next room; there's a fireplace and two guards (at least on hard). If you look closely at the main "bar", not too far from the ceiling, you may notice a purse peeking out (the hole is facing the windows, more or less). Then you can rope arrow up there.

I'm surprised I still remember this stuff. I usually forget these things right after playing.

I'm surprised I still remember this stuff. I usually forget these things right after playing.
    Thanks for answering the question about
    spoiler:
    the "main bar".
    I hadn't found that one before doing the translation, so I wasn't 100% sure of what it referred to. If I get a free moment, I might update the translation to make that one a bit clearer...

Anywho, I found this a bit shocking:

Downloads last 24 hours: 62
    Downloads last 7 days: 211
    Total downloads: 405

*WHOA* Over 50% of the total downloads in the last week alone? I didn't realize there was a mob waiting to check the mission out with translation. Please don't lynch me for running a little late on things...

help with nepumuk

This is really hard. I have no sword, blackjack, or any other defensive devise. There is lots of guards most carry lights and they all been drinking coffee! I can't seem to get much farther then the beginning. I am playing on hard(Garrett). Do you get a BJ and if so where?

No Blackjack or sword is made available when playing on Hard. This is a very good mission for learning to ghost.
    Be patient. Squat in corners and time the guards' movements. Learn to position yourself on the other side of the lantern carried by a guard (not as much light there). The fat torture dudes are mostly blind and stupid. You'd have to walk right up to them and stick your tongue out at them to get a reaction.
    This thread will probably have most of the questions you need to complete the mission. It is quite fun.

Thank you very much clock. This mission dose look good. I am not much of a ghoster I have no patience and I get too scared just sitting there. I didn't know that about the sides of the lamps. I guess I KO the guards too fast.

Try restarting on Normal. I believe you have a blackjack on that setting and there's not a lot of other things that are different, other than fewer objectives. You get to see the entire mission and you might enjoy it more that way. It can be ghosted but it's not easy and takes quite a bit of patience.

Pale,

You realize the thing with the lantern on one side of the guard only applies in one direction. When he turns around, the lantern would be on YOUR side now. So you have to make your move before he returns. You can also crouch behind crates. Keep an eye on the visibility bar at the bottom of the screen. It's a good indicator as to how well hidden you are.

Guards with lanterns was a great innovation for this game. I don't think it existed in Thief I, but I'm not sure. If Thief III has guards that can follow you up ladders and ropes and not peek through closed doors, then I'm in deep deep trouble. LOL

I think I will play it on normal and then go back and ghost it for a challenge (it depends on how hard it is on normal).
    Thanks

This is a tough one! I'm completely lost after about twenty mins. And more guards than you can shake a blackjack at (which I am missing terribly .. but coping .. just).
    Thanks Dennis

spoiler:
    I've got all objectives ticked off save the Horn of Quintas. I'm in the dining room and there is what looks like the Horn of Quintas laying on a small wooden table. Problem is I can't pick it up. It won't highlight. I've twisted Garrett into all sorts of sexy contortions but it just won't highlight. Is this the objective horn or is there another one somewhere else. The miss21.mis file is dated 2003/03/20 10:33pm and 20,354,975 bytes which I got from thiefmissions.com on August 22nd and it's an English version. Thanks.

Help, I am lost

Well, not lost lost, just more lost on trying to figure out what to do next. I opened the tower on the bottom level with the key, and pulled the lever. I heard a door open, but I cannot figure out where that door is. I went to the upper tower door and that is still locked. And the key doesn't seem to be working.

What am I missing?

There's a different key for the upper tower door, which you obviously haven't found yet. The door opened by the lever in the lower tower is
    spoiler:
    inside the upper tower, which is why you couldn't tell what it did.
    I think the key you're missing is the one
    spoiler:
    that you find in the hidden room in the wine cellar. Have you been there yet? Check for a lever on the back of the barrel that serves as a table near the middle of the room.

You are a gem

Thank you for the help!

spoiler:
    I kept assuming that the wine cellar door was just another way into the dungeons... silly me!

can't find the horn. Playing on hard.
    What is the lever in the tower for?

I think it's just
    spoiler:
    in a room upstairs in the house. I don't think it's hidden. Maybe you just missed finding that room?

As for the lever, flip it twice and the door downstairs closes.

Having a great time with this , playing on easy with a blackjack , {Garrett would never break into a prison without one !} but I'm a bit stuck .
    spoiler:
    I found Nepumuk dead in the dungeon , so carried him all the way upstairs and dumped him outside

But the objective didn't tick off . Have I missed something ?
    Cheers!

I have the same problem. WHERE does Nepumuk need to be dropped off? All my other objectives are checked off, except that one.

Also
    spoiler:
    There are 4 smaller cell doors in the dungeon across a deep pond, 3 of which are locked. Is there a key??
    BTW, a ladder would have been a nice touch, i got stuck in the water!!

You guys both missed something down in the torture room.
    spoiler:
    You don't need to take Nepumuk anywhere. Read one of the scrolls down there and you get an objective change, since Nepumuk is already dead.

Anyone else find the "high road" way into the castle yet??

A rope arrow (the only one you get!) is your friend for getting in this way.

It took me several tries to get the shot "just right".

I really like the ability to walk up in the rafters and avoid the guards all together.

Thanks Nightwalker !

spoiler:
    There's a big lever at the end of the mission , in the tower , it doesn't seem to do anything , or does it ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast