TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345671217222732 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

hmm, the only way i could help you troubleshoot this problem is if I load up win98SE, well, im actually moving the end of this week then im going out of town, but I actually have an old ibm thinkpad with win98SE on it. While im away ill probably tinker with it and see if I come up with anything. Hopefully you can figure something out before I get back in a few weeks but if not I should be able to give some kind of help (if I can actually figure it out)

It's wierd because I thought it would actually be alot easier on a win9x system as opposed to a NT system. Also, im assuming your on a FAT32 format right? (cant remember if you can do NTFS on win9x, dont think you can though) If I can figure it out ill write another FAQ on how to do it on a win9x system since Daxim's FAQ is a bit confusing and doesnt really cover much on SS1.

I'll be around till about Thursdayish or so, so if I come up with something off the top of my head Ill spit it out. Best of luck to you until then!

err.. i'm not on 98. i said 'my only hope would be to install win98'..

i have xp. that's why i posted in the thread about not running Ss1 on XP.

err.. i'm not on 98. i said 'my only hope would be to install win98'..

i have xp. that's why i posted in the thread about not running Ss1 on XP.

dj_ivocha, you should run SShock via MS-DOS prompt, not directly via cdshock.pif.
    After you have finished your playing with SShock, run cdshock.bat again. And voilá!
    No crash anymore! This kind re-starting works on my Windows 98 (not SE).

dj_ivocha, you should run SShock via MS-DOS prompt, not directly via cdshock.pif.
    After you have finished your playing with SShock, run cdshock.bat again. And voilá!
    No crash anymore! This kind re-starting works on my Windows 98 (not SE).

I thought you had win98SE opps my mistake. Hmm, well, my wife has a pc with xp on it I could troubleshoot on that later then Ill see what I come up with, until then Dont give up!

I thought you had win98SE opps my mistake. Hmm, well, my wife has a pc with xp on it I could troubleshoot on that later then Ill see what I come up with, until then Dont give up!

The Brain - thanks for the tip, it worked . But I was wondering, why does win98 crash always when ss1 hasn't been started twice from msdos prompt? I've never seen anything like this, and I have played plenty of dos games on my machine.

The Brain - thanks for the tip, it worked . But I was wondering, why does win98 crash always when ss1 hasn't been started twice from msdos prompt? I've never seen anything like this, and I have played plenty of dos games on my machine.

After following your FAQ and getting everything working, I tried turning the volume of the music up, and suddenly, the game slows to an absolute crawl. I'm running it at 640x480, my mouse is working fine, digital sound is fine too. If the volume for the music is all the way down, the game runs okay. However, if it's playing, the music is jerky/stuttering/halting, etc, and the control of my character becomes sluggish.

Anyone else run into this, or am I doing something wrong?

After following your FAQ and getting everything working, I tried turning the volume of the music up, and suddenly, the game slows to an absolute crawl. I'm running it at 640x480, my mouse is working fine, digital sound is fine too. If the volume for the music is all the way down, the game runs okay. However, if it's playing, the music is jerky/stuttering/halting, etc, and the control of my character becomes sluggish.

Anyone else run into this, or am I doing something wrong?

hmm that hasnt happened on my system, but you may want to try the different "sound cards" in the config, the place where you setup a soundblaster, soundblaster 16, soundblaster AWE 32,...etc. And try the different cards for the emulation. Also you can try different dos4gw's instead of 1_97. Just delete the one you renamed to dos4gw.exe (make sure you have them all still in a zip or whatever).

Im starting to come to the conclusion that possibly that even though what worked for me might not work for someone else, reason being that everyone has a different computer setup and such. But I can keep thowing out possible ideas and possible fix actions to help you guys get SS to work properly

hmm that hasnt happened on my system, but you may want to try the different "sound cards" in the config, the place where you setup a soundblaster, soundblaster 16, soundblaster AWE 32,...etc. And try the different cards for the emulation. Also you can try different dos4gw's instead of 1_97. Just delete the one you renamed to dos4gw.exe (make sure you have them all still in a zip or whatever).

Im starting to come to the conclusion that possibly that even though what worked for me might not work for someone else, reason being that everyone has a different computer setup and such. But I can keep thowing out possible ideas and possible fix actions to help you guys get SS to work properly

Re: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

Originally posted by XenivouS
    How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v. 1.0
    1. What you Need
    B. Programs - NOLFB.exe
    MOUSE2KV.exe
    Dos4gw.exe (1_97)
    VDMSound
    VDMSound 2.0.4 Update 2
    VDMS Launch Pad 1.0.1.1
    Mok's modified System Shock XP patch
    Once again: big THX! Now i can play System Shock 1 again (under WinXP & with a P4 3GHz). Best Game forever for me (System Shock 2, too)! Last time i've played SS1 without any problems was on my 486DX-133 ...

I think (i'm not 100% sure) i've just only needed the Dos4gw.exe and the Mok's modified System Shock XP patch, because i've deinstalled later all the VDM-Files and dll's, cause it doesn't works with it. I just run the cdshock.exe (no batch-file) and it runs very fine.
    Last edited by Hardcore-Evil; 26th Jun 2003 at 08:20.

Re: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

Originally posted by XenivouS
    How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v. 1.0
    1. What you Need
    B. Programs - NOLFB.exe
    MOUSE2KV.exe
    Dos4gw.exe (1_97)
    VDMSound
    VDMSound 2.0.4 Update 2
    VDMS Launch Pad 1.0.1.1
    Mok's modified System Shock XP patch
    Once again: big THX! Now i can play System Shock 1 again (under WinXP & with a P4 3GHz). Best Game forever for me (System Shock 2, too)! Last time i've played SS1 without any problems was on my 486DX-133 ...

I think (i'm not 100% sure) i've just only needed the Dos4gw.exe and the Mok's modified System Shock XP patch, because i've deinstalled later all the VDM-Files and dll's, cause it doesn't works with it. I just run the cdshock.exe (no batch-file) and it runs very fine.

Cheers for the guide...finally I can play one of the best games ever written again!

Only one problem though is that it's awefully choppy. The intro movie stutters a lot, and the game does so as well. Interestingly the higher the res, the less stuttering...

My system spec is as follows:

XP1800+
    Epox Mobo
    512Mb
    Geforce 3
    SB Audigy

Any ideas?

Cheers for the guide...finally I can play one of the best games ever written again!

Only one problem though is that it's awefully choppy. The intro movie stutters a lot, and the game does so as well. Interestingly the higher the res, the less stuttering...

My system spec is as follows:

XP1800+
    Epox Mobo
    512Mb
    Geforce 3
    SB Audigy

Any ideas?

Hey, dj_ivocha, did you get the whole thing running with sound? Ive finally managed to run it and avoid the after-end freeze, but still troubles with sound. Do you run any other programs than that dosdrv.bat in vdmsound? When I launch it with vdm the game freezes right after filling in my name and clicking on "start". Do you have any other support programs?

Hey, dj_ivocha, did you get the whole thing running with sound? Ive finally managed to run it and avoid the after-end freeze, but still troubles with sound. Do you run any other programs than that dosdrv.bat in vdmsound? When I launch it with vdm the game freezes right after filling in my name and clicking on "start". Do you have any other support programs?

tyler, what soundcard do you have? Are you using win98 or xp? I have SBLive Value, Win98SE and don't use any program for the sound like vdmsound. It works fine with the SB16 Emulation, that SBLive has.

I don't know for sure, but I think vdmsound should only be used in WinXP or with cards that don't support dos sound any more. And from what I have read here on the forums, only the Audigy cards don't support it. So if you have anything older than Audigy, I suppose you don't have to use vdm.

tyler, what soundcard do you have? Are you using win98 or xp? I have SBLive Value, Win98SE and don't use any program for the sound like vdmsound. It works fine with the SB16 Emulation, that SBLive has.

I don't know for sure, but I think vdmsound should only be used in WinXP or with cards that don't support dos sound any more. And from what I have read here on the forums, only the Audigy cards don't support it. So if you have anything older than Audigy, I suppose you don't have to use vdm.

I use W98SE, but the soundcard is some onboard shit, i dont understand it very well, but what I think is that the soundchip is a part of a VIA 686b south bridge, working with some AC 97 codec I usually have troubles with it when running old DOS games. I used the vdm and I had sound at least for the intro (no sound without the vdm), but then the comp freezes. I have no clue what to do.

I use W98SE, but the soundcard is some onboard shit, i dont understand it very well, but what I think is that the soundchip is a part of a VIA 686b south bridge, working with some AC 97 codec I usually have troubles with it when running old DOS games. I used the vdm and I had sound at least for the intro (no sound without the vdm), but then the comp freezes. I have no clue what to do.

Hmm, first take a look in your BIOS, and see if everything related to the onboard audio is enabled (MPU401 must be enabled too, in order to hear the music).

Here are to files that will almost sure help you resolve your problem:

Dos driver for AC97

Additional file that you need

If you understand german, you may look into this site, and if not, I'm writing some of the info here in english:

First, when you go in BIOS, note down the settings of your soundchip (IRQ, DMA etc.)

Then, download the two files that I mentioned above, and extract them (for example in c:\dos or anywhere you want)

Edit your Autoexec.bat file and paste the following lines into it:

LOADHIGH C:\DOS\VIA\VIAUDIO.COM
    LOADHIGH C:\DOS\VIA\VIAFMTSR.COM
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330

but don't forget to change the path so that it points to the folder where you extracted the files.

And, if needed, change the settings here: SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 so that they match your bios settings. (A - address; I - interrupt or IRQ; D - dma channel; P330 is your MPU401 setting, but I'm not 100 % sure about that, but try it anyway )

After all that is done, restart the PC, and try to run the install of the game once again, to alter the Sound- and music card settings there. Music should be MPU401, but feel free to try the other, some may work and they sound differently, too . For sound first try SB16, autodetect, if that doesn't work try to manually enter the values from the BIOS/autoexec.bat, if it doesn't work again, try the other SB cards that are listed.

Hmm, first take a look in your BIOS, and see if everything related to the onboard audio is enabled (MPU401 must be enabled too, in order to hear the music).

Here are to files that will almost sure help you resolve your problem:

Dos driver for AC97

Additional file that you need

If you understand german, you may look into this site, and if not, I'm writing some of the info here in english:

First, when you go in BIOS, note down the settings of your soundchip (IRQ, DMA etc.)

Then, download the two files that I mentioned above, and extract them (for example in c:\dos or anywhere you want)

Edit your Autoexec.bat file and paste the following lines into it:

LOADHIGH C:\DOS\VIA\VIAUDIO.COM
    LOADHIGH C:\DOS\VIA\VIAFMTSR.COM
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330

but don't forget to change the path so that it points to the folder where you extracted the files.

And, if needed, change the settings here: SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 so that they match your bios settings. (A - address; I - interrupt or IRQ; D - dma channel; P330 is your MPU401 setting, but I'm not 100 % sure about that, but try it anyway )

After all that is done, restart the PC, and try to run the install of the game once again, to alter the Sound- and music card settings there. Music should be MPU401, but feel free to try the other, some may work and they sound differently, too . For sound first try SB16, autodetect, if that doesn't work try to manually enter the values from the BIOS/autoexec.bat, if it doesn't work again, try the other SB cards that are listed.