TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...gw+file+rename.

Check mine's and Qaladar's post there.

Remember, search function is your friend.

Now I have to go sleeeeppppzzzzz....

Someone really needs to create a new topic with a lot of the new information, so people don't need to read through this massive thread. I can't do it, I've never needed to play on XP, so I don't know all that much on the subject.

Someone really needs to create a new topic with a lot of the new information, so people don't need to read through this massive thread. I can't do it, I've never needed to play on XP, so I don't know all that much on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCapedManX
    So I have a bizarre problem. I dled and extracted the dos4gw pack from the first page and all was well and dandy, until I tried to alter the 1_97 file. Whenever I try to rename it I get told that it's being used. Same with any copies I make. I have no idea what's using them, and it's getting frustrating.
    See The Brain's link; also note that you don't have to rename it to DOS4GW.
    For example:
    Code:
    MOUSE2KV.EXE 800 600 8 8 D4GW_197.EXE F:\GAMES\SSHOCKCD\CDROM\CDSHOCK.EXE > SHOCK.LOG
    Quote Originally Posted by Drat
    I offer from time to time to update the FAQ with information from this thread, links to updated utilities, etc; but I don't think XenivouS is still here. Certainly he's never replied.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCapedManX
    So I have a bizarre problem. I dled and extracted the dos4gw pack from the first page and all was well and dandy, until I tried to alter the 1_97 file. Whenever I try to rename it I get told that it's being used. Same with any copies I make. I have no idea what's using them, and it's getting frustrating.
    See The Brain's link; also note that you don't have to rename it to DOS4GW.
    For example:
    Code:
    MOUSE2KV.EXE 800 600 8 8 D4GW_197.EXE F:\GAMES\SSHOCKCD\CDROM\CDSHOCK.EXE > SHOCK.LOG
    Quote Originally Posted by Drat
    I offer from time to time to update the FAQ with information from this thread, links to updated utilities, etc; but I don't think XenivouS is still here. Certainly he's never replied.

Yeah, but I mean creating a new thread. You can always adapt his material and credit him, and link to the old thread.

What more can you do, under the circumstances? I don't doubt that XenivouS is long gone.

Yeah, but I mean creating a new thread. You can always adapt his material and credit him, and link to the old thread.

What more can you do, under the circumstances? I don't doubt that XenivouS is long gone.

I followed the directions, and came up with this:

System Shock could no longer run due to a fatal error.
    Error code 4002.
    File error.
    Could not find configuration file!

I had to take a screenshot to read what it said, as it disappears as quickly as it comes up.

I followed the directions, and came up with this:

System Shock could no longer run due to a fatal error.
    Error code 4002.
    File error.
    Could not find configuration file!

I had to take a screenshot to read what it said, as it disappears as quickly as it comes up.

Glorfindel: the message means that SS1 is unable to find the file it stores its sound and video configuration in, CYB.CFG. Please confirm the following:
    - CYB.CFG exists in the directory you installed SS1 to (ie, the one with CDSHOCK.BAT in it)
    - You are invoking SS1 via CDSHOCK.BAT
    - The working directory (ie, the 'Start In' line of the corresponding shortcut) is the same directory CYB.CFG resides in

If it doesn't exist, make sure the directory is writable and re-run INSTALL.EXE in the installed directory (ie, not from the CD).

Glorfindel: the message means that SS1 is unable to find the file it stores its sound and video configuration in, CYB.CFG. Please confirm the following:
    - CYB.CFG exists in the directory you installed SS1 to (ie, the one with CDSHOCK.BAT in it)
    - You are invoking SS1 via CDSHOCK.BAT
    - The working directory (ie, the 'Start In' line of the corresponding shortcut) is the same directory CYB.CFG resides in

If it doesn't exist, make sure the directory is writable and re-run INSTALL.EXE in the installed directory (ie, not from the CD).

Thanks for your help, I figured it out!

Thanks for your help, I figured it out!

Wrong topic. See my response there.

Wrong topic. See my response there.

Just purchased a copy of ss1 on ebay and thanks to the faq the game works now under WinXP.
    My problem: I can't hear any music in the main menu and in the game. There is speech and SFX, though. I tried all the various music cards in the sound system setup of the install.exe via vdms. Am I doing something wrong? Is there another way to choose the music card?

Just purchased a copy of ss1 on ebay and thanks to the faq the game works now under WinXP.
    My problem: I can't hear any music in the main menu and in the game. There is speech and SFX, though. I tried all the various music cards in the sound system setup of the install.exe via vdms. Am I doing something wrong? Is there another way to choose the music card?

Okay, I'm having big problems with getting the programme installed in the first place.

At first I had the System Shock iso written as a folder on my harddrive, and VDMSound worked fine. However, when I then tried to use the "Install" file it had created, I got the message "run from CD-ROM base directory". "Fair enough", says I, so I burn the ISO onto a disc, and run it from there. Of course, I get the message that VDMSound can't write to the "Install" file.

So now I'm stuck. I'm probably just being really stupid, but any help would be appreciated.

Okay, I'm having big problems with getting the programme installed in the first place.

At first I had the System Shock iso written as a folder on my harddrive, and VDMSound worked fine. However, when I then tried to use the "Install" file it had created, I got the message "run from CD-ROM base directory". "Fair enough", says I, so I burn the ISO onto a disc, and run it from there. Of course, I get the message that VDMSound can't write to the "Install" file.

So now I'm stuck. I'm probably just being really stupid, but any help would be appreciated.

Well, that was just me being stupid, due to it being 1 in the morning, but I'm still having problems. Whenever I try opening anything with the VDMSound, it tells me that it can't find the core programme "dosdrv.exe", although that's definitely there. It asks whether the "VDMSPath environment variable points to the right directory, but I have no idea how to check or alter that.

I should probably also say that when I try to run the programme it says "system could not open COM 1 port requested by the programme, and quits it.
    Last edited by trollface; 24th Mar 2006 at 14:21.

Well, that was just me being stupid, due to it being 1 in the morning, but I'm still having problems. Whenever I try opening anything with the VDMSound, it tells me that it can't find the core programme "dosdrv.exe", although that's definitely there. It asks whether the "VDMSPath environment variable points to the right directory, but I have no idea how to check or alter that.

I should probably also say that when I try to run the programme it says "system could not open COM 1 port requested by the programme, and quits it.

Never mind, I sorted it. I had to install a different version of VDMSound, as the one on the site linked in the OP didn't work for me. I got it directly from the source, and it works fine.

Never mind, I sorted it. I had to install a different version of VDMSound, as the one on the site linked in the OP didn't work for me. I got it directly from the source, and it works fine.

Okay, I didn't see this answered in the thread, and I read all 13 pages of it

My problem is that, I can get System Shock to run fine, full sound with minor speed issues, full mouse speed, and 640x480 resolution. After running for approximately 30 seconds to about 10 minutes. The mouse cursor disappears, and the game freezes completely. CTRL+ALT+DELETE has no effect, along with ALT+TAB. My only option is a hard reset.

I followed the first post walkthrough with two exceptions: I moved my CD onto the HD, and updated cyb.cfg; I turned off 'Enable basic VESA support' and 'Enable low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX)' under the VDMSound shortcut. These only have improved my game speed, as far as I can tell .

My system:

It's a Gateway 450ROG laptop.
    CPU: Intel Pentium M
    Graphics card: Built-in (64 MB)
    Video card: Built-in

My cdshock.bat:
    @echo off
    C:\SSHOCK\nolfb.com
    C:\SSHOCK\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 C:\SSHOCK\dos4gw.exe C:\SSHOCK\cdshock.exe

My cyb.cfg:
    midi_list 3
    lowres_cutscenes 0
    midi_io -1
    midi_irq -1
    inp6d -1
    digi_list 3
    joystick 128
    midi_card 3
    midi_dma -1
    midi_drq -1
    cd_data_dir_path C:\SSHOCK\CD\CDROM\DATA
    digi_io -1
    digi_irq -1
    digi_card 3
    digi_dma -1
    language 0
    digi_drq -1

Okay, I didn't see this answered in the thread, and I read all 13 pages of it

My problem is that, I can get System Shock to run fine, full sound with minor speed issues, full mouse speed, and 640x480 resolution. After running for approximately 30 seconds to about 10 minutes. The mouse cursor disappears, and the game freezes completely. CTRL+ALT+DELETE has no effect, along with ALT+TAB. My only option is a hard reset.

I followed the first post walkthrough with two exceptions: I moved my CD onto the HD, and updated cyb.cfg; I turned off 'Enable basic VESA support' and 'Enable low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX)' under the VDMSound shortcut. These only have improved my game speed, as far as I can tell .

My system:

It's a Gateway 450ROG laptop.
    CPU: Intel Pentium M
    Graphics card: Built-in (64 MB)
    Video card: Built-in

My cdshock.bat:
    @echo off
    C:\SSHOCK\nolfb.com
    C:\SSHOCK\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 C:\SSHOCK\dos4gw.exe C:\SSHOCK\cdshock.exe

My cyb.cfg:
    midi_list 3
    lowres_cutscenes 0
    midi_io -1
    midi_irq -1
    inp6d -1
    digi_list 3
    joystick 128
    midi_card 3
    midi_dma -1
    midi_drq -1
    cd_data_dir_path C:\SSHOCK\CD\CDROM\DATA