TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456781318232833 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

Thanx a lot, good job, I couldnt find a new AC97 driver for weeks! Nevertheless, the game is still silent I checked everything - BIOS settings, proper spelling of the path and file names (theres a mistake in spelling of viaaudio.com on that site), but still big huge icy cold silent NOTHING. I start thinking about ripping that stupid VIA south bridge out of the board... Buying SOME sound card might help, but Im too lazy

Thanx a lot, good job, I couldnt find a new AC97 driver for weeks! Nevertheless, the game is still silent I checked everything - BIOS settings, proper spelling of the path and file names (theres a mistake in spelling of viaaudio.com on that site), but still big huge icy cold silent NOTHING. I start thinking about ripping that stupid VIA south bridge out of the board... Buying SOME sound card might help, but Im too lazy

Well, strange thing is, the install DETECTS the soundcard succesfully. It seems like everytime I switch to DOS I become deaf or what

Well, strange thing is, the install DETECTS the soundcard succesfully. It seems like everytime I switch to DOS I become deaf or what

When the install detects the soundcard, if you press Test, is there any sound or music to be heard?

[EDIT] Maybe there is some kind of conflict between the windows and dos drivers? Why don't you try to disable the win drivers and see what happens? (Go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and there search for the soundcard, I think in Sound, Video and game controllers, but DON'T delete the entry, but instead double click on it and then at the bottom there is a checkbox "Disable in this hardware profile". After that, you may have to restart, I don't know. To restore the drivers, just repeat the steps above.

When the install detects the soundcard, if you press Test, is there any sound or music to be heard?

[EDIT] Maybe there is some kind of conflict between the windows and dos drivers? Why don't you try to disable the win drivers and see what happens? (Go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and there search for the soundcard, I think in Sound, Video and game controllers, but DON'T delete the entry, but instead double click on it and then at the bottom there is a checkbox "Disable in this hardware profile". After that, you may have to restart, I don't know. To restore the drivers, just repeat the steps above.

Install detects both sound and music setting succesfully, but theres no sound or music heard during the test. Thanx for your advice, I give it a try, but its gonna take loooooooong before I get to my comp again, Im leaving for some more sailing and diving experience tommorow. Yeah, holiday I still think two months wont be enough Anyway, no school, no problem, no monkeys (I hope)
    Bye till September

Install detects both sound and music setting succesfully, but theres no sound or music heard during the test. Thanx for your advice, I give it a try, but its gonna take loooooooong before I get to my comp again, Im leaving for some more sailing and diving experience tommorow. Yeah, holiday I still think two months wont be enough Anyway, no school, no problem, no monkeys (I hope)
    Bye till September

I followed the directions to the tee, but it won't work, not even the floppy version. The floppy version quits with a 3007 error (I think), when I press Play. The CD version does not start at all, quits with a DOS error, saying something about COM1 or COM2... Sorry, posting from work right now; spent a few hours battling with getting SS1 to play last night that I had no strength to post afterwards...

I followed the directions to the tee, but it won't work, not even the floppy version. The floppy version quits with a 3007 error (I think), when I press Play. The CD version does not start at all, quits with a DOS error, saying something about COM1 or COM2... Sorry, posting from work right now; spent a few hours battling with getting SS1 to play last night that I had no strength to post afterwards...

Mercury_Storm
    I am using Windows XP Pro and I did everything in this guide and when I run the game I get a black screen and have to alt tab and ctrl alt del the program, any ideas?

Mercury_Storm
    I am using Windows XP Pro and I did everything in this guide and when I run the game I get a black screen and have to alt tab and ctrl alt del the program, any ideas?

Okay, after much frustration, I've finally gotten the CD version to work. I only needed the XP patch and VDM Sound (which I already had previously installed and just gotten the update). What I did was simplly sun the cdshock.exe with VDM. I got that DOS error again, but clicking Ignore and restoring the app from the taskbar launched the game and it worked fine. The only snag I hit was that after about 15 minutes of play everything started spinning and I couldn't stop it. Any ideas on that?

Okay, after much frustration, I've finally gotten the CD version to work. I only needed the XP patch and VDM Sound (which I already had previously installed and just gotten the update). What I did was simplly sun the cdshock.exe with VDM. I got that DOS error again, but clicking Ignore and restoring the app from the taskbar launched the game and it worked fine. The only snag I hit was that after about 15 minutes of play everything started spinning and I couldn't stop it. Any ideas on that?

Originally posted by Mercury_Storm
    Same here!
    Xp Pro
    black screen

Originally posted by Mercury_Storm
    Same here!
    Xp Pro
    black screen

Can I get a copy of SS1 for P2?

Can I get a copy of SS1 for P2?

y'know, here's something funny.

i could never run Ss1 on XP, no matter what i tried. it just didn't like it i guess. i accepted it, it was an old game after all, and a new OS..

recently i installed Win98 SE on this machine, as a dual boot. i figured, this was one of the most compatible OSes ever made for old games.

WRONG!
    it still won't allow me to run Ss1. i find that hilarious. it's like it hates me.
    i get these 'page fault' errors that kick me out. i used to get a salt the fries, but after i used Daxim's tips, it gave me those.
    AND whenever i close the DOS box, my computer freezes.

...hurray!

one good news though, is that i'm now able to run Ss2 on 98.

y'know, here's something funny.

i could never run Ss1 on XP, no matter what i tried. it just didn't like it i guess. i accepted it, it was an old game after all, and a new OS..

recently i installed Win98 SE on this machine, as a dual boot. i figured, this was one of the most compatible OSes ever made for old games.

WRONG!
    it still won't allow me to run Ss1. i find that hilarious. it's like it hates me.
    i get these 'page fault' errors that kick me out. i used to get a salt the fries, but after i used Daxim's tips, it gave me those.
    AND whenever i close the DOS box, my computer freezes.

...hurray!

one good news though, is that i'm now able to run Ss2 on 98.

Does anyone have a solution to the "Can't open COM1" error ???

I followed the FAQ in this guide to the letter. I'm assuming this is some sort of mouse access problem, as COM1 was generally what my mouse was on way back when. Any tips appreciated !!

rms
    rsquires@flash.net

Does anyone have a solution to the "Can't open COM1" error ???

I followed the FAQ in this guide to the letter. I'm assuming this is some sort of mouse access problem, as COM1 was generally what my mouse was on way back when. Any tips appreciated !!

rms
    rsquires@flash.net

I'm having the same com port problems here.

I have Windows 2000 SP4.
    Full system specs.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem?