TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891015202530 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Run System Shock 1 on Windows 2000/XP FAQ v 1.0

nolfb.com works for me, so I guess that's what you should use.

nolfb.com works for me, so I guess that's what you should use.

Originally posted by Crion
    Could someone point out the link on this page http://www.advsys.net/ken/build.htm where NOLFB.exe is supposedly at? There's nolfb.zip which has nolfb.asm and nolfb.com both of which aren't mentioned in the FAQ at all.
    The author of the FAQ made a small typo. The NOLFB.com is what you want to use.

Originally posted by Crion
    Could someone point out the link on this page http://www.advsys.net/ken/build.htm where NOLFB.exe is supposedly at? There's nolfb.zip which has nolfb.asm and nolfb.com both of which aren't mentioned in the FAQ at all.
    The author of the FAQ made a small typo. The NOLFB.com is what you want to use.

Heh. Little typo.

They did the same on the Dos Guide on the Home of the Underdogs page but I got it working so...

Heh. Little typo.

They did the same on the Dos Guide on the Home of the Underdogs page but I got it working so...

Query

Might I inquire as to where you got that SysShock? I am in look of the fucking game since mine is a gimp with no guts.

Query

Might I inquire as to where you got that SysShock? I am in look of the fucking game since mine is a gimp with no guts.

About 2 years ago when it was hosted on TTLG. Also that was before I got the idea to let things download overnight so it took about a week to finish.

About 2 years ago when it was hosted on TTLG. Also that was before I got the idea to let things download overnight so it took about a week to finish.

I tried playing with the CDSHOCK.BAT file and SS1 runs just fine with only the VDMS, Mok's System Shock XP patch, and MOUSE2KV.exe. Still can't play with music though. It plays really slow.

I tried playing with the CDSHOCK.BAT file and SS1 runs just fine with only the VDMS, Mok's System Shock XP patch, and MOUSE2KV.exe. Still can't play with music though. It plays really slow.

resolution

I've searched over the forums but didn't really find an answer for this problem.

I got the intro for SS1 to work w/ good audio. The ingame audio and video is fine... but I can't play in 640 x 480 rez. When I switch to it, the screen becomes incredibly garbled and there is no way to play. Simply cannot be done; it's a chore to get the cursor back over another rez button to change back. Finally, I can get it done... only to discover that the cursor took a hike! No more cursor back in normal resolution. I have to restart the DOS program to get it back.

Does anyone have a clue what might causing it or how to fix it?

SYSTEM-

Pentium Celeron ~2.5gigz.
    RAM 256
    Windows Home SP1/Updated as of today
    Onboard gfx (64 meg) and sound cards

I've followed this FAQ to a T and everything works fine, I just wish to play in the higher resolution.

-Frustrated Shaundakahl

resolution

I've searched over the forums but didn't really find an answer for this problem.

I got the intro for SS1 to work w/ good audio. The ingame audio and video is fine... but I can't play in 640 x 480 rez. When I switch to it, the screen becomes incredibly garbled and there is no way to play. Simply cannot be done; it's a chore to get the cursor back over another rez button to change back. Finally, I can get it done... only to discover that the cursor took a hike! No more cursor back in normal resolution. I have to restart the DOS program to get it back.

Does anyone have a clue what might causing it or how to fix it?

SYSTEM-

Pentium Celeron ~2.5gigz.
    RAM 256
    Windows Home SP1/Updated as of today
    Onboard gfx (64 meg) and sound cards

I've followed this FAQ to a T and everything works fine, I just wish to play in the higher resolution.

-Frustrated Shaundakahl

I hope no one minds me posting here, even though this is a Winxp/2k thread, I saw people with win98 setups asking questions here, and the win98 thread is dead as a doornail, so no dice there...

Anyway, whenever I try and run the game, I always get a "Salt the Fries!" error and it says i don't have enough memory for the mouse cursor; I did everything I was told to do, no dice. Then, When I try and run the game a second time (all of this time from the prompt), just to negate the crash, it crashes with a blank screen. Why is it that I always have the freaky, messed up PCs!?

Specs: P4, 2 ghz, 256 Megs ram, onboard sound card, GeForce2MX 400 with latest drivers... anyone want to help the freak here?

I hope no one minds me posting here, even though this is a Winxp/2k thread, I saw people with win98 setups asking questions here, and the win98 thread is dead as a doornail, so no dice there...

Anyway, whenever I try and run the game, I always get a "Salt the Fries!" error and it says i don't have enough memory for the mouse cursor; I did everything I was told to do, no dice. Then, When I try and run the game a second time (all of this time from the prompt), just to negate the crash, it crashes with a blank screen. Why is it that I always have the freaky, messed up PCs!?

Specs: P4, 2 ghz, 256 Megs ram, onboard sound card, GeForce2MX 400 with latest drivers... anyone want to help the freak here?

So what would be the ideal OS/environment/hardware for SS1?

I still have my Win3.1 and dos 6.1 (?) disks from 9 years ago, an SB Awe32 sound card, and a PIII machine that I could get up and running.

So what would be the ideal OS/environment/hardware for SS1?

I still have my Win3.1 and dos 6.1 (?) disks from 9 years ago, an SB Awe32 sound card, and a PIII machine that I could get up and running.

I followed all the instructions, but I got a an error suggesting that files be set to 30. However, the shortcut made by VDMSound automatically sets the files to 40 in its dos environment. That should be enough. Maybe it's just this machine.

I followed all the instructions, but I got a an error suggesting that files be set to 30. However, the shortcut made by VDMSound automatically sets the files to 40 in its dos environment. That should be enough. Maybe it's just this machine.

Sound problems

Following the guide, I can get the game running but with no sound. I have a C-Media 8738 onboard sound, and then an 8738 on my sound card. Does it matter which I use? Where do I find what IRQ and such my sound card is on within Windows 2000? If I can find that, I'll try entering that data by hand for the sound cards.

To "setup sound system" when you run with VDMS, do you use the file from the cd or the one in the SSHOCK directory on your computer?

Asus A7v8x
    AMD Athlon 2600
    GeForce4 Ti4400
    Windows 2000 Pro

Muchas gracias :-)

Sound problems

Following the guide, I can get the game running but with no sound. I have a C-Media 8738 onboard sound, and then an 8738 on my sound card. Does it matter which I use? Where do I find what IRQ and such my sound card is on within Windows 2000? If I can find that, I'll try entering that data by hand for the sound cards.

To "setup sound system" when you run with VDMS, do you use the file from the cd or the one in the SSHOCK directory on your computer?

Asus A7v8x
    AMD Athlon 2600
    GeForce4 Ti4400
    Windows 2000 Pro

Muchas gracias :-)

First of all, I give a huge hug to XenivouS for putting this together...I got the game working like a dream on my new super computer after going through the FAQ twice, once to see if it would help me run it, then once again when I got SS1 and wanted to play. Then, I thought I'd get it running on my laptop too, so I can take it in a dark corner of a room and get really into the game. After all, hell, what can go wrong with it since it's working on one computer?

*starts laughing

To make a long story short: my laptop is possessed, and it's not happy with the fact I want a replacement for it. I followed the FAQ through, doing the same as with the computer it works on. However, I hit a roadblock face first once I reached step 8. That was probably when my laptop realized I was about to get what I wanted, and that wasn't gonna happen. I went to load the configuration thing to create the new shortcut.......then things went bad. There wasn't a 'Run with VDMS' option with a musical note in front of it.....so I picked the one without it. Not the smoothest move I made. Now, everything I try to load in DOS gives me the same error message:

ERROR: An Extended Memory Manager is already installed.
    XMS Driver not installed.

Then, after a bit of copyright info, I'm sent to the C:\ prompt. I can't type anything, the only way to escape is to just close the window, after telling it I'm sure I want to close it. I get that with every System Shock 1 related thing I try to run, all my other computer games in DOS stopped working ages ago so I can't test to see if it's an overall DOS problem. I was able to open the C: prompt from the start menu, but I didn't go any farther than that. I wasn't going to give up without a fight, it didn't take me long to clue in that the computer than can play the game might come in handy. I copied the directory System Shock was saved into on the friendlier computer and tried to put it on the unfriendly computer. I tried copying the CDSHOCK file that I was able to create on the friendly computer onto the other one......but that didn't work. I'm not sure what to do, or if I should even bother trying......after all apparently it doesn't detect a digital card and I'm guessing that means Shodan's threats will fall on deaf ears. My disobediant laptop has a Pentium II 364 megahertz processer, and 64 megs of ram. Don't bother scolding me for installed XP to begin with, I was sick of 98 crashing 3 times a day, now it doesn't crash but some features won't work.

So......any tips? It's not urgent or anything, I'd just like to know that I really can have the last laugh with possessed computers.....thanx for bothering to read....although I can bet a few people resemble this guy and if there was already info on this then the search thingy doesn't work so well

First of all, I give a huge hug to XenivouS for putting this together...I got the game working like a dream on my new super computer after going through the FAQ twice, once to see if it would help me run it, then once again when I got SS1 and wanted to play. Then, I thought I'd get it running on my laptop too, so I can take it in a dark corner of a room and get really into the game. After all, hell, what can go wrong with it since it's working on one computer?

*starts laughing

To make a long story short: my laptop is possessed, and it's not happy with the fact I want a replacement for it. I followed the FAQ through, doing the same as with the computer it works on. However, I hit a roadblock face first once I reached step 8. That was probably when my laptop realized I was about to get what I wanted, and that wasn't gonna happen. I went to load the configuration thing to create the new shortcut.......then things went bad. There wasn't a 'Run with VDMS' option with a musical note in front of it.....so I picked the one without it. Not the smoothest move I made. Now, everything I try to load in DOS gives me the same error message:

ERROR: An Extended Memory Manager is already installed.
    XMS Driver not installed.

Then, after a bit of copyright info, I'm sent to the C:\ prompt. I can't type anything, the only way to escape is to just close the window, after telling it I'm sure I want to close it. I get that with every System Shock 1 related thing I try to run, all my other computer games in DOS stopped working ages ago so I can't test to see if it's an overall DOS problem. I was able to open the C: prompt from the start menu, but I didn't go any farther than that. I wasn't going to give up without a fight, it didn't take me long to clue in that the computer than can play the game might come in handy. I copied the directory System Shock was saved into on the friendlier computer and tried to put it on the unfriendly computer. I tried copying the CDSHOCK file that I was able to create on the friendly computer onto the other one......but that didn't work. I'm not sure what to do, or if I should even bother trying......after all apparently it doesn't detect a digital card and I'm guessing that means Shodan's threats will fall on deaf ears. My disobediant laptop has a Pentium II 364 megahertz processer, and 64 megs of ram. Don't bother scolding me for installed XP to begin with, I was sick of 98 crashing 3 times a day, now it doesn't crash but some features won't work.

So......any tips? It's not urgent or anything, I'd just like to know that I really can have the last laugh with possessed computers.....thanx for bothering to read....although I can bet a few people resemble this guy and if there was already info on this then the search thingy doesn't work so well

What am I missing?

Ok, I am going through all these steps, but it looks like I missed something, because when I open up my CDSHOCK.BAT it doesn't look like it is supposed to:

@echo off
    E:\Games\sshock\nolfb.exe
    E:\Games\sshock\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8 E:\Games\SSHOCK\dos4gw.exe cdshock.exe

Instead it looks like this:

@echo off
    D:\cdrom\cdshock.exe

D is my CD drive. Did I miss any steps?