TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 73 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021263136414651566166 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

AWESOME sounds great... and sometimes just for kicks i really let loose and put my socks on BEFORE my boxers

now what exactly do i have to do to make that happen?

The absolute first step is removing your boxers..then socks..

Then..you put your socks on...then your boxers. Perfection.

or, just go into the options, find "hardware sound" and click disable. Close sshock2, load it up again and try once more

Hardware sound is off by default - at least, it is on my system.

Can't see much from those DxDaig notes. Same drivers, same manufactorers ('cept that Radeon in ESKIMO's) brands in the systems, but Mr D's works and ours don't. *shrugs*

yep hardware sound is off... for that matter i cant even turn it on... so... SOL?
    also i can hear sound during the speaker check

and btw in the task manager it shows sshock as not responding..
    Kids in front seats cause accidents...
    accidents in back seats cause kids...

Ich habe eine Katze in meiner Hose

Hello. My friend wanted to play System Shock 2 so I installed it on his computer. Everything is working fine except one thing that hasnt been mentioned on these 8 pages. (as far as I can see)

When my friend saves and clicks "Continue" or loads a savegame, sometimes the game gives a black screen. I checked it out for him, when I used Alt + Ctrl + Del when the game froze, I saw an error on the desktop, talking about bad texture handling or something, I cant remember the exact error. It told me to contact 3D card vendor for drivers.

This only happens sometimes but very randomly, either when we click "Continue" after saving or when loading is done. Then the game doesnt return to the action, instead just a boring black screen.

If anyone knows the solution, please tell me! This is very annoying for both of us, sometimes its neccesary to restart the game 3 times before the save finally loads successfully.
    (Ive tried adding safe_texture_manager line to cam.cfg or shock.cfg but no luck)

Specs.
    3 Ghz P4
    128 Mb ATi Radeon X300 SE
    512 Mb memory
    WinXP Home

I also have a problem in my own computer, its regarding the EXE fix for HyperThreading freezing ingame.

I have a P4 with HT technology so everytime I want to play SS2, I need to disable one CPU. I unwrapped the ICD file, and ran the EXE fix, but a strange thing happened. I wanted to write the location in the CMD window that appeared when running the EXE fix, but when I typed letter 'C' to begin the location typing, 'S' appeared instead.

Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

Specs.
    2.8 Ghz P4 w/HT
    1 Gb memory
    256 Mb GeforceFX 5700 LE
    WinXP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi
    If anyone knows the solution, please tell me! This is very annoying for both of us, sometimes its neccesary to restart the game 3 times before the save finally loads successfully.
    (Ive tried adding safe_texture_manager line to cam.cfg or shock.cfg but no luck)
    Try creating a file with Notepad with simply the safe_texture_manager line, and save it as 'user.cfg'. Make sure that Notepad doesn't add a .txt extension to the end of the file name, save it in your SS2 directory, then try again. That's odd that it only happens every now and then, though, usually with that error, it always happens.

As for the other problem, I have no idea what it could be. Are all the other keys typing normally? Say, if you typed 'M', does it appear on screen, or is it, for example, 'H'?
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Maybe the keys are mapped differently within that .exe file? I don't know what keyboard you have but maybe that file assumes you have a standard QWERTY keyboard while you have a weird Icelandic keyboard layout?
    I've worked with CorelDraw 10 and that program also has this problem, where if I set the language to Dutch (to be able to use the Dutch dictionary), it also uses the official Dutch keyboard layout, while we have a standard US keyboard, so many of the keys are wrong.

I have a QWERTY keyboard, but its still slightly different from the English ones.

Maybe if I change my keyboard settings to English?
    Itd be nice if the author of the fix would make a simple GUI. Like double clicking the fix EXE, and a small window pops up asking where the unwrapped file is and you can either type the location or click "Browse". And dont forget the "Close" button.

Thanks for the tip, Ill try it out.

Btw, can anyone help with the other problem I told about in my post above?

So has anyone found a workaround/fix for the career choice autosave crash?

do you have a folder in your SS directory named "current"?
    Kids in front seats cause accidents...
    accidents in back seats cause kids...

Ich habe eine Katze in meiner Hose

Your video hardware is not supported by System Shock 2

I just loaded up System Shock 2 - bought it when it came out but never got around to playing it. Finding myself with a bunch of free time, I figured I'd give it a go. I'm running XP, fully patched with SP2.

I get the error "Your video hardware is not supported by System Shock 2" when I go to start a new game. A quick look in shock.cfg shows that this is the error you get when the "scrn_loop_fail_msg" condition is met. I have the original retail version of SS2, patched with the last patch for the game. I've also tried using the patch from "shock2_xp_2000fix.zip" as well as the "safe_texture_manager" in user.cfg. I seem to recall there was something similar that happened with Thief 3 or Thief 2, but a quick search of these forums didn't turn up anything right away.

I've tried setting the "hardware" parameter in shock.cfg from 1 to 0, which seemed to just make the game run in windowed mode. It died messily when I tried to start a game, with the "send/don't send" bug report dialog window. I've also tried all the compatibility mode options with both the patched and unpatched executables, with no luck. I've tried different hardware acceleration settings as well.

I know folks here have managed to get this game to run under XP, so I'm not yet ready to give up hope just yet. My system specs are:

Shuttle XPC SN41G2 w/FN41 V2.0 mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.80GHz
    512Mb RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE

The onboard ethernet, audio, and video components are NVidia-made, and use the NForce drivers (using 5.10). I'm not using the onboard video, of course, and it's automagically disabled when another video card is installed (no way to turn it off/disable it in the BIOS). I've got the NVidia 71.80 drivers for the Ti 4800 SE.

Any idea what this "scrn_loop_fail_msg" is supposed to indicate? What test is failing? Perhaps one of the many NVidia tweaking options will rectify this....

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by mutant_gn0me
    I get the error "Your video hardware is not supported by System Shock 2" when I go to start a new game. A quick look in shock.cfg shows that this is the error you get when the "scrn_loop_fail_msg" condition is met. I have the original retail version of SS2, patched with the last patch for the game. I've also tried using the patch from "shock2_xp_2000fix.zip" as well as the "safe_texture_manager" in user.cfg. I seem to recall there was something similar that happened with Thief 3 or Thief 2, but a quick search of these forums didn't turn up anything right away.
    If you want to do more investigating, the problem would occur with Thief 1, Thief Gold, and Thief 2, but not T3, they weren't made with the same engine. Aside from that, I honestly can't help, I would've suggested the safe_texture_manager fix again. All I can say is, double-check to make sure 'user.cfg' doesn't have a .txt extension at the end of it, and maybe play with the compatibility modes on SS2's .exe file. My first thought would be to try checking the 'disable visual themes' box, but aside from that, I really don't have a clue. Good luck, though.

The compatibility modes usually do more harm than good, the game won't even run on my system when I enable any of the compatibility modes. But your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by mutant_gn0me

I've tried setting the "hardware" parameter in shock.cfg from 1 to 0, which seemed to just make the game run in windowed mode. It died messily when I tried to start a game, with the "send/don't send" bug report dialog window. I've also tried all the compatibility mode options with both the patched and unpatched executables, with no luck. I've tried different hardware acceleration settings as well.

I know folks here have managed to get this game to run under XP, so I'm not yet ready to give up hope just yet. My system specs are:

Shuttle XPC SN41G2 w/FN41 V2.0 mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.80GHz
    512Mb RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE

The onboard ethernet, audio, and video components are NVidia-made, and use the NForce drivers (using 5.10). I'm not using the onboard video, of course, and it's automagically disabled when another video card is installed (no way to turn it off/disable it in the BIOS). I've got the NVidia 71.80 drivers for the Ti 4800 SE.

Any idea what this "scrn_loop_fail_msg" is supposed to indicate? What test is failing? Perhaps one of the many NVidia tweaking options will rectify this....

Thanks for the help!
    Maybe you can use older video drivers? I think Ive read that as a solution few times in this thread. Maybe the game accepts your video card that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ESKIMO
    do you have a folder in your SS directory named "current"?
    yes, but only after making a manual save. quicksaves and the level load autosave crash it with no 'current' folder having been created.

If it matters, i've used safe_texture_manager in every file, i've removed the safedisc protection (still have my original CD) and used all the compatibility settings. i've also used the "fixed exe" posted on the first page of this thread. i haven't tried the HT exe yet, but i'm using an AMD XP, so why should i? It's odd though, when i installed winXP for the first time, i remember SS2 working, but that was almost a year ago. Now, nothing seems able to save it.

EDIT: hmm, i created a 'current' folder within the SS2 folder, and now i can quicksave without a crash, but it still black-screens me at the career choice.

EDIT 2:FIXED! holy crap, it was the most random thing...
    so here's what happened:
    when i picked a career path, it black-screened right at the shuttle movie (even though the intro movies work), so i thought maybe the shuttle movie was corrupt, and i should recopy it from the CD. i opened it with media player just to check, and it gave me a codec warning that the 3ivx codec was expired...UNISTALL'D! i forgot that i had to download that codec for some random video i had, and that it was a trial-only thing. now, why SS2's movies would be trying to use it, i don't know, the indeo codec for them is installed fine and i get all the movies in-game now. i guess winXP was throwing that little error dialog box, but the game covered it up, and any ctrl-alt-dels or alt-tabs crashed the game, so i never saw it until i opened the movie with media player.

thanks for the help anyway, i figured this forum was long-since dead, glad it's not
    Last edited by brakiachi; 21st May 2005 at 14:46.

What's that? I can't hear you...

Alright, I've looked through the thread and not heard any references to this issue, so here goes.

My sound is messed up. When I first ran the game, I thought that there was no sound at all; I eventually figured out that it if I just turned up the volume enough, it was there. The sound effects, music (<3 the music), enemy voices, etc, all work fine and I can hear them without any problem. HOWEVER, all other voices (such as from the emails, records, and in-game cutscenes) are so quiet that it's virtually impossible to hear them unless I turn the speakers to the limit and there are no sound effects nearby to distort it. And even then, I can barely hear it.
    I've gotten to the 4th floor mostly without it so far, but the in-game cutscenes...those are plotty and important, and I don't want to miss them.

Any ideas as to what is causing this?

that sounds like the "positional sound bias" slider is too far to one side or the other. i forget which direction is which, but let's just say that the left of the slider means that 2D noises (logs, emails, things that aren't in the 'world') are louder, and the right side means that 3D sounds (enemies, gunfire, maybe music?) are louder (it might be the other way around). by default it should be dead center, if it's not, go into audio options and put it there. if it IS, then slide it to one extreme, and play for a while, then the other side, then find the happy medium where you can hear everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi
    Maybe you can use older video drivers? I think Ive read that as a solution few times in this thread. Maybe the game accepts your video card that way.

yes on my computer i cant even load trhe game with ati's newist drivers... with the Omega drivers i get it loaded and can get all the way up to that first loading bar (after the shodan msg)..

funny thing is my moms comuter has an AMD too and it will work on there yet my comp wont run it.... maybe mine is just too new and high tech for it...

System Shock 2 is running flawlessly in my computer. Im using newest nVidia drivers.

But I had to apply the hyperthreading fix, its so annoying disabling one CPU everytime you want to play it.

Btw, Im having a problem. I know Im not allowed to discuss no CD patches so I doubt anyone will help me but Im just wondering why the game doesnt launch at all if I apply a patch with correct version number and language.

I just wanted to post one more "thing to try" for those folks having the problem of a black screen freeze immediately following the career choice along with the windows notification sound. This is only for people who freeze at that point but have the game running fine through the tutorials and who have tried everything else mentioned in this thread.

First off, I tried everything previously mentioned both for this and all other problems. In the final working arrangement I was using (on an Intel/ATI/WinXPPro system):
    1) Patched w/ official patch
    2) Unwrapped and patched for hyperthreading
    3) Compatibility mode OFF (ON didn't make a difference for me)
    4) No safe_texture_manager (safe_texture_manager didn't make a difference for me)
    5) Installed to a relatively short path name (Z:\Games\SShock2)
    6) Ensured "current" directory existed and checked for read-only and NTFS permissions on all files and folders were set properly

Apparently, however, my coup de gras was related to the videos. Initially, I assumed the codecs were working right because (a) all the intro videos played fine in game and (b) all the shuttle videos played fine out of game. Nevertheless, the final fix for me was to move all the videos out of the "cutscenes" directory. Then, in the "install.cfg" file, I edited the one line starting with "movie_path" to remove everything after and including the "+" symbol so that it couldn't find the movies on the CD either. (Until I figure out a workaround, I require my original CD because I use Straylight's mod which requires original files to be pulled off the CD at runtime.)

So, in the incredibly unlikely event that someone has the problem described and all the fixes mentioned so far didn't help, here's one more thing to try. It's possible that I still don't have the codecs installed right but,in my case, because I do a lot of advanced multimedia stuff with a number of codecs and unusual DirectShow filters, it probably was more of an incompatibility issue, possibly because I use an alternative AVI splitter.
    Last edited by Greg_G; 26th May 2005 at 04:37.

I'm trying to run it on a P4 with win2k. I haven't gotten any of these myriad problems you guys are talking about, because after the verification screen and a brief black screen, I get dumped back to the desktop without so much as an error message. Advice?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by stfiend
    I'm trying to run it on a P4 with win2k. I haven't gotten any of these myriad problems you guys are talking about, because after the verification screen and a brief black screen, I get dumped back to the desktop without so much as an error message. Advice?
    have you tried adding safe_texture_manager to the user.cfg file? thats what it sounds like to me. the solution is in the faq
    (ss2 sticky thread)

Just did. No change.

Quote Originally Posted by stfiend
    It smells like it could be a problem with the video codecs. Check the FAQ for information on how to reinstall them. Since the first thing the game does is play movies, it might just be your problem. Good luck!

That's a great suggestion from TNT - I acutally had SS2 crash on me also until I installed the codecs with iv5play.exe - give it a shot!

Page 16 of 73 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021263136414651566166 ... LastLast