TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 21 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526313641465156616671 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

..I have finally fixed the "too fast" problem for all my games that had this problem (system shock2/thief gold,resident evil1/2).after days of fiddling around,I finally have a solution that works 100% all the time (at least for me)..here goes:

run a movie file of your choice (doesnt really matter,even an empty wav file renamed to avi will work fine,basically any app that will use DX overlay will do) with media player,stop the video,leave the player running in the background,and launch the game.no matter how weird may it sound,it has fixed speed issues for ALL my games,and it works every time no matter what.

if you want a "smart" solution,create an empty *.wav file in your thief folder,rename it to run.avi,create an empty *.txt file in your thief folder,edit it with notepad,and type in following:
    Code:
    @echo off
    start "" "C:\xxx\Thief\run.avi"
    start "" "C:\xxx\Thief\THIEF.exe"
    xxx being your path to thief (shock2,RE1/2,etc),save and exit,rename the txt file to run.bat,execute the bat,and tadaa,media player will be launched automatically every time you want to play and thief will run at correct speed.

feedback please,I would like to know if this works on any system or just on mine..
    Last edited by voodoo47; 21st Aug 2007 at 16:49.

Old Problem

Okay first off, my system stats, I got a laptop with a 1.7 Ghz processor, 256 MB of RAM, and have Windows XP as my operating system.

Now I know I'm going to get a lot of moans, but when I start up my patched version of System Shock 2, mostly to try to see how Rebirth is doing after playing it so long ago, it loads alright, I can see the videos, and I can get into the tutorial modes alright. It's just when I try to choose my career path, it crashes to the desktop without even coming up to the Von Braun circular Loading screen.

I know I'm going to get a lot of cries, and I will say that I've tried about everything to fix this problem from earlier in the thread. There is a current folder, I've tried to save manually, both from the menu and quick saving. I tried the multi-threading patch, caused more problems than anything, and added the texture_manager thing for the .cfg files.

Any other options would be much appreciated, thank you.
    Last edited by Smokin'_Joe; 11th Aug 2005 at 22:49.

Im not sure whats wrong then, is current folder spelled right, and in its correct location? (for example: C:\Games\SShock2\Current)

I dont have more ideas at the moment, try renaming cutscenes folder to something else, itll skip cutscenes, so if this still happens, we know its not cutscenes related.

Okay, I got the game in the default folder, which is almost exactly like what you stated, except your's is capitalized. I tried that and it didn't work. I changed the cutscene folder name, and that didn't change anything, at all. I could still see the intro scenes and everything.

Though I did notice something weird. I brought up the properties of the folders in my main directory and there is something odd about it. The read only box has something in it, but it's not the normal check, instead it's some pale green box. I tried to empty the field, but it keeps coming up with the same green box in the read-only bit.

How to Get The Game To Run!

For Everyone Who Has A Problem At The Job Select Part Of The Game

Okay, so I've seen a whole bunch of people who like myself had a problem when selecting you job for the game. The game either crashes or goes black and your forced to hard-reset. I read a lot of people going on about it being that the game needs a current folder in order to work, in some cases it can be true. But I found that in most cases the problem isn't the game itself but the 3ivX Video Codec. In Order to fix this problem simply uninstall the 3ivx program from your system and it should work fine; the reason it was popping up with alot of people after there game initially ran fine is because the program expires and causes a clash between its error message and the System Shock 2 program.

Hope that helps some of you out.

Yes! Thank you, I uninstalled the codec and it works fine! Now I think I need to reinstall rebirth and everything else, think I took it out when I tried to fix it.

Now it's time for me to kick some mutant booty!

No Sound

I'm not sure if my problem has been directly issued, but I dont feel like looking through all the pages to find it, so I'll just ask. I had this game on an old CD-RW, and going through a pile of old CD's, I came across it, and put it in this PC. I didnt have to install it, because when I put it on the CD-RW, I coppied the contents of the game folder into a folder on the CD RW (dont ask me why I did this instead of just directly burning the game...it was a long time ago). At any rate, I copied the contents onto my PC, and I tried starting the exe and it played, but it doesnt have any sound what so ever (except cutscenes). I came here and I looked at the FAQ to fix it, but using the compatibility mode didnt work, I dont get any sound in any of the options. I have an AMD Athlon 1.8 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti4200, and for sound I use my Logitech USB headset, because I had trouble with my speakers. One thing I noticed is, ever since I got this USB headset, whenever I record videos with FRAPS, it never records sound, and I cant figure out why. I was wondering if for whatever reason, the same thing was happening with this game, but the cutscene videos work, so I dont know. Any help would be appriciated.

I just tried this game on an older IBM Aptiva, from like 1995 or so, but it has Windows 98. The game starts, but I still cant tell if it has sound or not, because, for whatever reason, the computer doesnt want to play any sound. But, I start the game up, and as soon as I try to start a new game, or watch the intro, it crashes. I dont know why, and I cant seem to find info on that in the FAQ anywheres. Im not even sure of the specs of the PC, but I wouldnt be surprised if it was underqualified to run the game.
    Last edited by Mac; 18th Aug 2005 at 10:43. Reason: Tried on a 2nd computer as well

Windowed?

I have no major problems runnign SS2 on my Celeron winxp home sp2, my question is does anybody know how to run it windowd? i tried addign -window -width 800 to the line but that did not seem to wrk, nietehr did alt-enter.
    Cheers!

Confused

d:\setup.exe -lgntforce

This for some reason does not cause the installer to function. I don't know what else to try to get the game to install. With or without the parameter it comes up with the same 16-bit error about autoexec.nt. Any suggestions?

Edit: I went trolling through all 200 pages of this thread and found it =)

I copied my autoexec.nt from C:\windows\repair into C:\windows\system32, overwriting the existing file. Make sure you back your original up beforehand, just in case!
    Last edited by Kilranian; 26th Aug 2005 at 12:29. Reason: brawr

WORKS!

What can I say? I followed the FAQ instructions re: Hyperthreading processors, and got the game running!

Thanks all! haHA!

SS@

I have tried everything I can think of and all that has been suggested on this forum and I still can't get SS2 to work. Anybody got any more ideas or suggestiong or anything else that might help?
    I have an AMD Athlon(tm)XP 1500+ 1.35 GHz, 512 MB of RAM. HELP Please!!!

What happens when you try to run the game?

Help Me Before I Go Nuts!!!!!

Hi Guys,
    I have windows Xp home edition and the thing is just two months ago the game worked perfect on here, its just i got a damn virus and had to have my comp flatlined. Now it wont work. It installs perfect but then a message comes up saying system shock is not compatible with this version of windows and an update is required to make it compatible. I have not tried no patches or anything i am not all that good with computers so if anyone has any suggestions please reply or e-mail me at dana_lundrigan@hotmail.com....thanks

Have you tried navigating to your System Shock 2 directory, finding the .exe file, and running it in, say, Windows 95 or 98 compatibility mode?

Sassy14973, you need to patch System Shock 2 to get it to working. Download the patch and place it to your SShock directory. Then doubleclick it and let it patch your SShock to updated version.

You can find few locations to download patch from the FAQ.

It did not work

hi,
    thanks for replying to me unfortunaltely it did not work i downloaded the windows xp service pack but still nothing and i have tried changing the compatibility modes but still nothing is there any other patch...if so tell me in english not computer language cause im not the best with comps. Thanks

Call me lazy but I read the first seven/eight pages and didn't really find an answer for my problem.

SPECS: Windows XP SP2, 512 MB RAM, 2.8 Ghz P4, ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro 128 MB.

Now, before, I was getting the whole "3d accelerator misreporting texture memory usage" or whatever error. I tried the safe_texture_manager line in the Config file, and it worked.

BUT! Now every time I play, I go into the Basic Training module, the game freezes. It happens between picking up the juice/bag of chips and flipping the switch.

I've tried different compatibility modes, and that actually makes the game freeze shortly after loading when clicking New Game.

Please help!

Have you patched the game with the official patch?

No, I'll try it though... 20 minutes at Fileplanet for this thing haha -_-. Thanks.

It's patched, same problem. It just keeps freezing on me.

Have you tried the Hyperthreading fix in the FAQ?

Yeah, I was reading through the topic and found that, it works awesomely. This game rocks!

Thanks for the help!

I was running System Shock 2 just fine until a few days ago. All of a sudden I couldn't start a new game, the thing just kept crashing before the load screen would come up. I tried many of the suggestions offered up everywhere and nothing worked. But last night I looked into the Windows bug report and saw that LGVID.AX was the root of the problem, so I tried this:

1.) CTRL-click on LGVID.AX and drag it somewhere to make a backup copy.

2.) Delete LGVID.AX. Remember, you made a backup.

3.) Right-click in the folder and select New -> Text Document

4.) Name the new file LGVID.AX, and just select Yes.

5.) Fire up Shock2.exe. You should be able to start a new game now.

Works just fine now. I run XP Pro, and this may also work on Win2K. The drawback is that you won't get any video (they took too much time out of my gameplay anyhow).

Hi my problem has not been adressed in this post yet but here it is you see the game installs well but then i can not start it up u see it tells me that this game has prefromed an ileagl operation and i have no idea why.

Uninstall, then:
    * Press the Start Button
    * Press the Run button.
    * In the box type x:/setup.exe -Lgntforce (Where x is the letter of your CD-Rom drive.)
    * Press Enter
    * Follow the onscreen prompts.

Kolya

Page 21 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526313641465156616671 ... LastLast