TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 41 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6111621263136373839404142434445465156616671 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1818

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

Is this the appropriate place to post problems with specific mods as well?

I'm having trouble with complemented rebirth. I install it and the wrench disappears. I can hear it swing if I attack, but no model and it can't hit anything. The rebirth models look excellent, btw, and is it more or are those hybrids a hell of a lot more aggressive?

Sounds like either you didn't install it correctly, or your SS2 isn't properly mod ready. I got the dissapearing wrench too until I attempted a reInstall of the game. (hey, it didn't take long and things were getting messy in there anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    You know, that is the very same thing that happens to me. I just disabled the cutscenes since I had seen them before anyways. But if you are new to the game, you could just watch them in the correct order. Watch Cs3.avi after beating the game.
    Im not new but thanks i appreciate the help... ill let you know if figure something out

Ok, I hope you'll have better luck than me figuring it out.

Hi,

The game functions badly on my PC, the game freeze after several seconds after the launching of a new game.

My config

Pentium D 805 (Dual Core)
    GeForce 6600 GT 256 Mo
    2 Go DDR2

I attentively read the various solutions, I thus tested the patch of Bobluck shock2fixed.exe, as well as the line “safe_texture…” .I cannot too any more what make. I heard about a universal patch gone back to January 2005 (a exe sshock2.exe), about which file is it intended to speak, do you have a link?

matt

This is definitely dualcore related, did you disable CPU1 yet? You can do that with a program like ImageCfg or simply uncheck CPU1 in the Set Affinity options of the shock2.exe task. All you have to do is to go to task manager after the game starts up.

yes I do

Then the game wouldn't freeze.
    Remember that you need to disable CPU1 every time you run the game if you don't permamently modify the affinity header of the shock2.exe.

Greetings.

I'm one of the few who cannot launch even the setup.exe
    So far i've gathered bits of information conserning manual install, install.cfg and stabbing the registry.

So far i've copied the folder from the cd to my d:\games\shock , then my buddy threw me the install.cfg (too bad it was already edited for rebirth) , and I made the shock2.reg and added the neverAgain in registry with hex 0

I (and I bet many others) really need a thorough help getting that game work, digging through 40 page thread for information, frustration reaches metafysic levels.

I thank in advance. And I'll even mail the thread starter to add the help to the starting post if its good.

Well, the author has been neglecting the first post, as new information comes into the daylight. I'd say updating would be very comfy for those looking for solutions.

As you said, going through dozens of pages is a near impossibility unless you really really really want to try out the game.

Can anyone rehost the multithread/XP patch? The link on the first page is down and I can't find the patch anywhere.

The game is crashing after the intro movie right now (sound works fine) and it's the only thing I have yet to try.

That patch isn't vital to disable CPU1. Alternatively you can use a program called ImageCfg, I have written the steps to use it so often that I can't bother anymore.

There is a help guide and download link on this webpage.

After the losing struggle with the original, I tried the underdog version, and it worked like a charm. Texture pack, rebirth, user.cfg with safe_texture_manager and affinity to cpu0 [x] , the game works 100% fine, no crashes, no sound card glitches, perfection.

some specs:
    windows XP sp2 feat. 165 opteron(dualcore), 2 gbyte ram, Geforce 7900gt, integrated soundcard.

The original should work fine too. Something tells me you were just lazy and decided to go the illegal way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    The original should work fine too. Something tells me you were just lazy and decided to go the illegal way.
    You even dare call me lazy after the hours I spent forum browsing combined with registry stabbing.
    But ofc im no way a purist that would decline easier path just because it is used also illegally.

In your post a few lines above on this page, you mentioned that you were searching for a solution to your problem, but you never told us what the problem actually was. . .

After having read through all 41 pages since yesterday, I've only found that there are several other people who have experienced the same problem as I have - namely: When attempting to choose a career path, I hear the loading screen, don't see it, and the game ctd's on me within seconds. Apart from that, the game runs perfectly...

Before you point me to the FAQ, yes I read it, and yes I attempted to:

a) all three ways suggested for deactivating hyperthreading
    b) updated the game, it is 2.3
    c) add the safe_texture_manager to cam.cfg, shock2.cfg (and created the user.cfg and added it there)
    d) I DO HAVE a current folder in my SShock2 folder, and it's not read-only.
    e) I tried renaming, deleting, etc the cutscenes folder
    f) Downloaded the fixed-exe
    g) Tried updating/downgrading my video drivers
    h) attempted with and without compatibility settings
    ...forgive me if I've already forgotten some of the fixes I've tried.

All I could tell was that some of the others having the self-same problem did not get any suggestions that helped them. (Except for the fix someone posted, but which was illegal and hence got the vital link removed) Same here. Guess it wasn't worth re-buying thi game after all.

Btw, someone who suggested the problem might be AMD processor in combination with an ATI card, well, can't prove him wrong...

If it's of any use (doubt it, though), my system specs:

AMD64 2800+
    1 GB DDR RAM
    160GB S-ATA HD
    ATI x800XL, driver version 8.231
    Windows 2000 SP4

I have to admit that your problem is an odd one indeed, you seem to have tried most of the fixes already. It probably won't work, but moving lgvid.ax outside the SS2 folder temporarily couldn't hurt to try out.

Tried that now, and it didn't work either. Thanks for the effort anyway. Guess I'll just re-install WinXP then some day, and see if that makes a difference (though I loathe the program). Anyway, just wanted to show that this problem doesn't seem to be so isolated.

XP might very well be more stable for SS2 than Win2000, who knows?

Ok this is weird... my videos are upside down!! What do I need to do to fix that?

I remember someone having that problem, and I'm not gonna spend the rest of my life looking for that post here.

Did you try reInstall the Indeo codec from the SS2 CD? The file to run is called iv5play.exe if I remember correctly.

No Shock2.icd file

Deleted
    Last edited by David; 26th Feb 2007 at 06:07. Reason: .

Sorry, we can't help with any version but the legit version.

Quote Originally Posted by capella07 View Post
    Problem is there is NO, none, nada, zilch file named "shock2.icd".
    I'm fairly certain the .icd file is to do with SafeDisc. In which case it's unlikely to have been included in the HOTU edition. Not sure why the SafeDisc protection would affect multi-processor systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drat View Post
    Sorry, we can't help with any version but the legit version.
    Bah. The 'legit' version has more problems than pirated versions. So bah!

Page 41 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6111621263136373839404142434445465156616671 ... LastLast