TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 46 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6111621263136414243444546474849505156616671 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1818

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

ah ha..

No luck with the intro. Intro wouldn't play for some reason. Just flashed back to the menu.

Ideas?

Ideas how to fix that problem.. ?

p.s.

Current IS tagged 'read-only' and won't stay untagged. I have both of the problems you mentioned. Impressive, haha.

My 'current' folder is read-only too, but with a grey sign, not black.
    Try rename lgvid.ax in the SS2 folder to anything else, that way the game will skip the cutscenes altogether.

Other options?

is there any way to get around that problem without disabling cutscenes so I can have some idea as to what's going on or is that my only choice.. ?

There are only three plot-important cutscenes in the entire game, the intro and the ending. Watch cs1.avi and then cs2.avi, then when you complete the game, watch cs3.avi.

So yes, I'd disable the cutscenes if it makes the game work.

what to i do? i started a multiplayer whit my friend and got pritty far in couple of days.. but now when we try to load the saved game my game crashes and says its shock2.icd fault.. and wtf is safedisc unwrapping that i have read about in here and how to do it?

Try Bobruck's fixed shock2.exe, if that helps. And remember that savegame corruption can crash your game, too.

Any Ideas

I am having trouble getting SS2 to run on my machine. I first ran the demo fine. Then I installed the game from the cd, after un-installing the demo. I didn't have the right codec and got the fix from the intel site from another post. Then I get through to the start of the training and the application stops responding. No error message.

I have installed the v2.3 patch, and use the xp_fix sshock2.exe. I have also made a user.cfg that has the safe_texture_manager in it. None of these things make a difference.

I think it may be the safeshare that is hanging it up, but I am unable to create an un-safeshare'd executable. Any other ideas to try?

Thanks

Do you have a dualcore/hyperthreaded processor? If yes, then disable CPU1 of the shock2.exe task if you haven't already. This is covered in the FAQ.

i think i have a solution...to my problem

well basically i played the demo, fell in love with it - got the full version and suprise suprise it crashes when starting a new game. so i looked here did EVERYTHING that this forum and others said. i then thought i'd just copy and paste the save game from my demo into the full game.

wooo i thought it worked, until i reached the end of the demo section. the save game was still in demo mode and i couldnt change it.

my solution: if someone, anyone can start a new game in ss2, save the game straight away and send the save game files to munkruler@msn.com and all my problems would be solved and i could play this amazing game.

thanks

What happens when trying to start a new game?
    First is the cutscene, then comes the loading of the level.

Now, did you try rename the cutscenes folder and/or the lgvid.ax file?

ok i messed with the settings for a week and finally got the game installed. it loads the 1st level i play for about 1 min and get to the training center then when i walk in the portal my hole comp freezes.

sorry if a fix for this has been posted i looked over the 1st page and page 44,45 46 and didn't see anything.

Did you apply dualcore/HT fixes if you have such processor?

My problems with SS2....

Every time I have a cutscene, it dumps me to my desktop. Then when I click on the SS2 tab, I go back into game and it runs--but the cutscene was skipped. So far this has happened when loading a new game and after training, when I pick a class. Havn't gotten farther than that yet.

That is, unless I click on "Intro" at the start menu, then it just crashes the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    Did you apply dualcore/HT fixes if you have such processor?
    sorry I'm a noob when it comes to this. i think i have a Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz processor. I haven't downloaded that patch.

Then it is possible that you have a HT processor.
    Try this:
    1) Start up System Shock 2
    2) Press 'Ctrl + Alt + Del'
    3) Find the shock2.exe task, right click on it and select Set Affinity
    4) If you have a choice, uncheck CPU1

Number 4 is the key step, because if CPU1 is greyed out there is no chance that you are experiencing the dualcore/HT freezing.

Any idea what I should do?

Do about what?

Quote Originally Posted by JuggyFWB View Post
    Every time I have a cutscene, it dumps me to my desktop. Then when I click on the SS2 tab, I go back into game and it runs--but the cutscene was skipped. So far this has happened when loading a new game and after training, when I pick a class. Havn't gotten farther than that yet.

That is, unless I click on "Intro" at the start menu, then it just crashes the game.
    About the problem with crashing and dumping me to desktop on cutscenes?

I have said at least dozen times in this thread that renaming lgvid.ax and/or the cutscenes folder will make the game bypass the cutscenes and therefore fix any such problems.

I'm sorry; it was very late, and I didn't have the time to read through a 45 page thread.

I apologize if I annoyed you.

Nah, no one requesting help annoyes me.
    But what does annoy me is if I have no idea how to help someone to solve a problem...

How about blackscreens at the game load?

It just started doing this after I renamed that file. And no, the SS2 Tool v2.1 doesn't fix it.

You tried writing safe_texture_manager at the bottom of cam.cfg?
    If you get a blackscreen when trying to load a level then it is a likely fix, otherwise not.

Page 46 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6111621263136414243444546474849505156616671 ... LastLast