TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6111621263136414647484950515253545556616671 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1818

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

I don't have even the slightest idea what is causing your problem. It's a brand new one. You could try different resolutions and see what happens in-game.

Hey BJ.

The Grand Master. I feel flattered. To your advice:
    Been there, done that. All different rez, all safe_texture, all new drivers, all compat. modes. Now, I just don't know.

I mean, it's like a vertical drop between the graphics layer, and the interactive one, where the link between those is damaged. I think. I don't know, really.

Thanks anyways

U.

What brand your mouse is? Logitech or Microsoft? If you can, try to disable alternating pixel center option in your graphics card driver settings page.

So you're "The Brain" behind this outfit?

Just kidding.

I'm afraid my mouse is not one of the more legitimate brands, it was a budgetary measure. It's a "Yakumo". Yeah, if that doesn't inspire trust in all of us. I'll try the pixel center and let you know.

Thanks

U.

No MFD

Hi,

I've searched this thread and others, for MFD, multi-function, inventory, display and HUD, but can't find an answer.

The game was running fine on WinXP SP2. I played the dojo level, then brokenspeedrun. All fine. I tried another mod, and now there is no inventory, or on-screen stats, targeting reticule - anything. I can move around and pick stuff up (by centring it on the screen and right clicking - though it doesn't get a box around it), but not view or use it. The inventory button does nothing. I picked up a wrench in one mod, but I couldn't then bring it up on the screen or use it - I tried pressing '1', or 'next weapon' keys. Just the game screen still. Any ideas?
    Ta.

Are you using ZylonBane's No HUD-mod?

Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    Are you using ZylonBane's No HUD-mod?
    Nope, I only tried speedrun missions. I do want a HUD, so have never downloaded that one.

I hope this link helps you:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115098

It's not identical to what you describe, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion, but when I tried checking the file mentioned, the binds were all fine.

Maybe it was because I renamed the .mis file as 'earth.mis'. The other playable levels had been called this, and then you just started a new game to play them. However this one was called 'speedrun.mis' or something, and I couldn't work out how to play it. So I renamed it as earth.mis and then it played when I selected new game, but with no HUD. Maybe because you don't have a HUD when you first start at Earth in the main game?

On another mod (FM I think) there was no HUD until I looked at a log on the floor, then it appeared and worked properly. However that mod had a rumbler at the start, and as soon as the rumbler died SS2 crashed, so I gave up on that one.

Renaming game files is a bad idea if you want the levels to work correctly. When you select a new game, it checks specially for the earth.mis, not speedrun.mis

And yes, you don't have a HUD at first. But you can still access the inventory I think.

erm no i haven't tried renaming it, should i?

Uh, no? Didn't I just say that renaming the game files is a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    Uh, no? Didn't I just say that renaming the game files is a bad idea?
    I think he/she is referring to my previous post, Bjossi.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miaow View Post
    erm no i haven't tried renaming it, should i?
    Yes, you should try it. The only drawback is that ingame videos wont work after that. It's small price to pay when you want get your game to work properly. But you can watch them in your favourite media player program.

Mr. Miaow, when you next time post answer to previous post in thread and you see that there is many posts between your post and that previous post, use quote function, please. It makes easier others to follow thread.

Somewhat different symptom

I was really wanting an SS2 run before BioShock comes out, but i'm getting trouble on my new machine in a way i haven't had before.

Game will install without incident. Converted it to mod-friendly and installed SHTUP beta 5, Rebirth beta 1 (tried complimented version but thought it might be the problem?), Rebirth Rumbler, and an altered SHODAN head. The game loads fully, has sound, and displays movies, so the codecs are fine. Completed training area fully, picked Navy, and picked my paths.

About 5-10 minutes into MedSci is when I run into a 100% hard lock. Once once i've escaped the cryo area and found the power cell, I made my way to the first room nearby with a monkey and a pipe hybrid in it. Upon fighting and killing these enemies, the game will either freeze with repeating audio or CTD with an exception (MS friendly crash message box).

I don't think it's the mods I use, since they've worked fine before on prior systems. I can't tell if my dual core cpu is the problem either since the game gets further than most other dual proc crashes. The last attempt even managed to corrupt something that made the safedisc check crash the game before it could even try to load.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vital Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
    2gb RAM
    Nvidia GF8800GTX 768mb, no OC
    SB X-Fi

I think that is just the infamous hyperthread/dual core bug showing up for you at there. So you need to apply affinity fix for your main game executable file. After that your game should run fine.

Yes, you should try it. The only drawback is that ingame videos wont work after that. It's small price to pay when you want get your game to work properly. But you can watch them in your favourite media player program.

Mr. Miaow, when you next time post answer to previous post in thread and you see that there is many posts between your post and that previous post, use quote function, please. It makes easier others to follow thread.
    Yokey dokes, cheers for the answer. Sorry about not replying properly but I'm used to forums with a "reply to" button and for some strange reason that I can't work out at the moment, I decided not to use the quote button. :P

I think that is just the infamous hyperthread/dual core bug showing up for you at there. So you need to apply affinity fix for your main game executable file. After that your game should run fine.
    Turns out that's exactly right. Runs great now. Thanks!

Hi all found this wonderful site thru Google. It's been a while since I played the game so I installed it on my gaming rig and I can start the game, select my settings and I can start a new game.

I can watch the opening intro but once it's finished I hear the XP error beep and the screen goes blank. I have to bring up task manager and it gives me an error message. "ERROR: Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture memory usage. Contact your 3d accelerator vendor for updated drivers". I'm using an nVidia 7900GTO 512MB video ram. I went to nVidia's website and installed the latest drivers and still the same error message. The other weird thing is I can still hear in game audio at the time SS2 froze.

I'm also running 9.0c, I installed it on my ancient 4 year old Dell Laptop with an integrated ATi graphics 16MB video ram and it runs just fine. I would like to run it on my gaming rig if at all possible. If not I can always play it from my laptop.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue. Thanks for any replies.

This is explained in the FAQs, add the line safe_texture_manager at the bottom of cam.cfg and the error will (most likely) not appear again.

This is explained in the FAQs, add the line safe_texture_manager at the bottom of cam.cfg and the error will (most likely) not appear again.
    Thank you soooo much. I actually found it on page 50 while I was waiting for a reply. I came to edit my post that it was working. Thanks for the quick repsonse.

I have one final question. I was able to change the resolution in the cam.cfg file to 1280x1024. When I started the game and went into options it said 1280x1024. Am I actually running it in 1280x1024, it's hard to tell?

Thanks again

Yup, you're running it in 1280 x 1024.
    I am doing that too.

Yup, you're running it in 1280 x 1024.
    I am doing that too.
    Thanks for the quick response. Is there anyway to force the game into 32 bit mode? I installed the texture patch and I can't believe how good this game looks.

I am really looking forward to Bioshock for the Xbox 360.

Nah, there is no way to force 32bit I'm afraid.

I got SS2 to run fine the other night, realized it was a dualcore probolem. Played up to the 4th Deck where Shodan makes an intro. Left comp on all night to download something, needed deamon tools to run it, so had to restart - SS2 no longer works. WTF.

As soon as I click the icon (using windows XP media edition btw) a message saying 'System Shock 2 has encountered an error and must close' message appears with send or dont send error report. Why?

Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6111621263136414647484950515253545556616671 ... LastLast