TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 52 of 73 FirstFirst ... 27121722273237424748495051525354555657626772 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1818

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

Game works, Daemon Tools installed, then game not working; it is quite obvious what the problem is. But you can download a fixed executable that has the SafeDisc copy protection removed.

Any help on where to get that, or...

It is not allowed here to suggest where one gets a fixed EXE, so you'll have to find it yourself.

It's a bit dodgy, legally, so not really. Happy hunting.

Well my copy is legit if thats what you mean, came with 2 CD's tho I'm not sure why when it runs on either one. Odd. A fixed EXE huh. Right.

Hello, when I try to run Shock2.exe the screen briefly goes black and I get the very nondescript "System Shock 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. In the error report, "Modname: kernel32.dll" is referenced.

- I've fully installed the game, and updated the files to v2.3. My .exe is 2,908,160 bytes, and is supposed to be cd-free.
    - Tried the safe_texture_manager in the cam.cfg file (and user.cfg).
    - Tried the XP/2000 patch.
    - Tried running it in all Windows compatibility modes.
    - My computer is not dual-core, but tried the hyperthreading patch anyhow.
    - Tried moving the cutscenes folder out.
    - Tried sacrificing a goat.

The first time I installed the game I actually had it running, but it would exit out whenever I tried to save. After uninstalling and reinstalling it, I haven't even been able to get to the main menu.

Is it significant that there seem to be kernel32 errors?

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!
    Last edited by Deus_Ex; 16th Aug 2007 at 11:54.

Kernel32 is the .dll that programs in non vista windows right to-it's also what most viri target.

With Vista the kernel is a closed item-only things microsoft rubber stamp are allowed to write to it, the theory being malicious software can't install onto your pc in the first place.

---------
    To be more succinct, you're buggered. Try a reinstall, and following the steps in the first post again. I noticed that you say you applied a hyperthreading patch, but you didn't mention actually disabling the hyperthreading via taskmanager (run the game, bring up task manager and... well. This is explained in the first post)

Tram freeze

I'm trying to run SS2 on a computer and have an issue that's been seen before, but I didn't find an answer. I installed the game with no issues, patched, and when I start a new game and leave the tram, the game freezes. I can still ctrl+alt+del out and close the program, but it freezes every time. Need to find a way to fix this.

P4 2.8Ghz
    1 GB ram
    Windows XP with SP2
    People have recommended updating drivers, but I don't have a card, just integrated Intel 915G with all its drivers, and DX9.0c

The answer is in the first post of this thread, the post that everyone should read before they ask about their problem.

I already read that. It does not address the issue with random freezing. I have installed it, it is running. There are no drivers for me to download. I have read it, and nothing applied to my problem. If you're so certain it was answered in the first post, why don't you post the section that answers it?

I admit that the guy could have written it better. If this applies to you, then your Pentium 4 is hyper-threaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjit_Turak
    Duel CPU Systems/Hyperthreading Systems
    ========================================

Symptoms:
    Movies may or may not work, this problem
    has no effect on movies.
    The game will install fully, and the EXE
    will load in compatibility modes.
    The first level will load, controls will
    work, sounds will work.
    The game will halt after a few seconds of
    movement, or of sitting still.

Reason:
    System Shock 2 under Windows XP will not
    run under a duel processor envornment,

Solution:
    First of all, run the System Shock 2
    Multiplayer patch, it fixes many small
    bugs.
    This problem is fixed easily by
    assigning only one CPU to the System
    Shock 2 process.
    To do this, launch the game, and before
    starting a the game (while in the menu)
    hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and select "Task Manager".
    In "Applications" select System Shock 2,
    right click on it and select
    "Goto Process", right click on the process
    and select "Set Affinity". Here you are
    able to set whatever CPUs you want to the
    System Shock 2 Process. Select only a
    single CPU to run the process, and apply
    the new settings.

Thanks, that seems to have worked. Hopefully I won't have any more problems.

Remember that the above is just a one-time fix, you need to do it every time you run the game. But you can make that change permanent with ImageCfg.

Is that the only permanent way?

There are more programs, but this method is pretty easy and quick. Just a matter of downloading the imagecfg.exe, put it into the two folders listed on that webpage and then execute the magic command to disable CPU1 for good.

My save seems to have been corrupted, or something is wrong. This literally happened in seconds for no reason at all. I saved at an OS upgrade station, tried out a few upgrades, and kept loading and trying different upgrades. I exited the game, came back a few minutes later, and now when I try to load, it instantly says "transfer complete" and the program is supposedly "not responding."

It's working fine now, but I'm going to leave this here in case it happens again and isn't so easy to fix.
    Last edited by Snacks; 18th Aug 2007 at 17:21.

That happens to me every now and then, I just restart the game and load, repeat that until the save starts working again. Though keep in mind it can take everything from 1 - 100 tries.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus_Ex View Post
    Hello, when I try to run Shock2.exe the screen briefly goes black and I get the very nondescript "System Shock 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. In the error report, "Modname: kernel32.dll" is referenced.

- I've fully installed the game, and updated the files to v2.3. My .exe is 2,908,160 bytes, and is supposed to be cd-free.
    - Tried the safe_texture_manager in the cam.cfg file (and user.cfg).
    - Tried the XP/2000 patch.
    - Tried running it in all Windows compatibility modes.
    - My computer is not dual-core, but tried the hyperthreading patch anyhow.
    - Tried moving the cutscenes folder out.
    - Tried sacrificing a goat.

The first time I installed the game I actually had it running, but it would exit out whenever I tried to save. After uninstalling and reinstalling it, I haven't even been able to get to the main menu.

Is it significant that there seem to be kernel32 errors?

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!
    I think I'm having the same problem that you're suffering from, Deus! I was previously able to boot the game without too many issues, but now a few months later I receive an error message saying that it's encountered a problem and must close!

I've tried all of the thing suggested on the first page that are applicable to my system and problem. Again, any ideas are welcome!

Shock 2 on Vista - Worked once...

Howdy!

Yesterday I got Shock 2, started playing, got way too scared for that time and stoped just before the first Hybrid area (Meh, It's a scary game!). Just got on today and found it's buggered itself up.
    Yesterday I did that "safe_texture_manager" thingy in Cam.cfg, but I can't find that file anymore... I then created a User.cfg with only that code in, and it still didn't work...
    But I digress, that's probably not the problem... I have a dual core, so it's confusing itself over which one to use. I set the affinity to only one yesterday and it worked fine. I realise that this is a 1 time fix, but now I can't do this... When I load the game, it flashes a blank screen, my cursor turns to the SS2 Cursor and then I the black screen shrinks to the top left 1/4 of my screen and Windows Vista helpfully says "Oh shit, something's gone wrong!"... This takes the best part if 5 seconds, in which time I can't set the affinity to stop this from happening.

I have tried to use Imagecfg, but to no avail. And for these reasons; 1) Those instructions are old, badly written (Sorry) and have a wierd folder that I had to made myself (.../System32/Dllcache).

I guess all I need is someone to point me in the right direction, and tell me what's wrong and how to fix it. I've heard there are other Affinity blockers. I'd just like something simple, please... I don't want to run around trying to do something that I could do to a program in about 5 clicks... I'll only ever be using it for SS2; and I'm no computer guru...

So, anyone?

-Greg.

prob right now: screen just black

Hi there. New here, yes just for this.

When just installed(v2.3 from CD) and ran it displays an error
    AppName: shock2.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.0 ModName: shock2.exe

This happens under "no compatibility mode" as also in every compatibility mode but "NT"
    In NT compatibility mode it tells me to insert the CD press OK and try again - but the CD is in the correct drive.

I tried creating an image of the CD and emulate with daemon tools (who knows, could help), but I can't manage to create the image(ideas?).

At this point safe_texture_manager(in user.cfg) does nothing, either. I tried every following thing with and without safe_texture_manager implented.

I tried various no-CD cracks and xp-fixes(every single one in this thread still on the net) and they all at best get me as far as the following does:

Used a tool to unwrap the .exe from the .icd, when starting with that it just goes to a black screen and then nothing, except in various compatibility modes it sometimes jumps back to windows after a few seconds or even starts the game minimized and unresponsive.

I have a dual core so I did try out the imagecfg fix, with every single way I tried to play the game (the installed .exe and .icd, the unwrapped .exe, the "fixed" .exe s).

Changing "hardware 1" to "hardware 0" in the shock.cfg makes the game run in an unresponsive ~640x480 window in the middle of the screen which either displays blackness or what was behind it when opening.

--------------------------------

graphics card: Radeon 9800 Pro with standard windows drivers (newer drivers fuck up very very much, eg no direct3d any more)
    core: Intel E4300 dual core

Anyone have any more ideas? I'd really really like to play this game again

greetings
    Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

I have tried to use Imagecfg, but to no avail. And for these reasons; 1) Those instructions are old, badly written (Sorry) and have a wierd folder that I had to made myself (.../System32/Dllcache).

I guess all I need is someone to point me in the right direction, and tell me what's wrong and how to fix it. I've heard there are other Affinity blockers. I'd just like something simple, please... I don't want to run around trying to do something that I could do to a program in about 5 clicks... I'll only ever be using it for SS2; and I'm no computer guru...

So, anyone?

-Greg.
    Just copy imagecfg.exe in to that folder where you did install your game and start it there.

Badly written? Are you sure that you looked right website?

This is right place to look instructions for using imagecfg: http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm.

crawler: Do you have install.cfg file in your game folder?

Yes, I do. The game installed just fine from the CD, I didn't even need the parameter fix.

640x480

Hi there,

Managed - with a lot of effort - to finally get this great game to run. However it only runs at 640 x 480. Selecting another screen resolution does nothing. Strange though as the demo worked fine, but not the fall game.

Anyone else experienced this problem and know a solution?

What are your system specs and what video driver version are you using? If you are unsure where to find this info; click Start, then Run, and type dxdiag and click Ok.

Hey there,

It's an Intel Dual Core 6600 with a Geforce 8800 GTX, latest Nvidia drivers (163.44). Have ensured it's only running on one CPU...

Page 52 of 73 FirstFirst ... 27121722273237424748495051525354555657626772 ... LastLast