TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 53 of 73 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384348495051525354555657586368 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1818

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

You know what?

It now works for me!

I read the "Vista" thread and out of boredom tried the same things on my XP.
    List of what I did:

-install normally (full)
    -open cam.cfg, insert new lines:
    safe_texture_manager
    sfx_no_asynch_all 1
    -use "shock2fixed.exe" modified with imagecfg.exe "-u" and "-a 0x1" (not renamed to shock2.exe, just put it in there and run that)

I'm amazed, especially because I thought I already tried all that but the sfx_no_asynch_all thing ...

well, I'm off to play! Seeya

I'm glad it works for you, enjoy the game.

ffdshow and movies with SS2.

My System: Windows XP-SP2, Core2 Duo e6400, Nvidia 6600GT Driver v163.44 beta
    'ffdshow' is fast and feature filled codec and filtering tool. It is installed with many codec packs by default and can cause problems with certain applications including System Shock 2.

After MUCH effort (most of it in the wrong direction), I resolved my problem.

Problem: After Install, game crashes on launch. It verifies the copy protection, then the screen would go black, and a few seconds later I would get "System Shock 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close."
    Clicking on more info reports it was related to the LGVID.ax node.
    (Note: this crash only occurs at runtime if this is the first time you are trying to load System Shock 2 since the intro movie will always try to play on the first run. If you have installed ffdshow recently, you may have succesfully loaded the game in the past. In this is the case, the game may crash the next time it tries to play a video clip. IE; when you start a new game, click on the play intro button or credits button on the main menu, or a cutscene would play in-game.)

What DID NOT work:
    I tried the multi-player patch, same problem.
    I tried all versions of SHOCK2.exe I could find. All failed to solve my problem.
    I tried all compatibility modes on all SHOCK2.EXE's I found with cold boots in between each test, and still no love.
    I tried adding 'safe_texture_manager' to user.cfg, and/or cam.cfg, and/or shock.cfg.
    I tried renaming the cutscenes directory to something else.
    I even re-encoded the cut-scenes to use Xvid instead of Indeo with no success.

What DID work:
    I finally tried renaming LGVID.ax to 'Copy of LGVID.ax' and FINALLY was able to start and play the game, but this stopped all cut-scenes from playing. I missed the cut-scenes too much to give up on them yet.

To fix my problem I had to run the ffdshow Video Decoder Configuration, select 'Info & Debug' from the options on the left, and then in the Debug section of the menu I placed a check in the box for 'Don't use ffdshow in:'. I then added 'SHOCK2.EXE;' to the list by typing in the field provided. a semicolon should separate program names if you have more than one in that list.
    example: 'Oblivion.exe;explorer.exe;shock2.exe;'

Since I have a Dual core processer, I had to use the 'imagecfg.exe' tool to set shock2 to use only one core.
    From the command line:
    imagecfg.exe -u "C:\path\to\SS2\Shock2.exe" ; to set shock2 to uniprocessor mode.
    then:
    imagecfg.exe -a 0x1 "C:\path\to\SS2\Shock2.exe" ; to set affinity to processor 1

I can now play the multi-player version with all the mods for better textures sounds and bug fixes.

Regards;
    Lardzor
    ---------
    Embrace the lard.

P.S.
    Considering the length of this thread, perhaps a revision of the original post can be updated to reflect new solutions that have been revealed since it started. Reading through hundreds of postings can be daunting, and should not be required.
    Last edited by Lardzor; 28th Aug 2007 at 17:59. Reason: Should have proof read first.

Anyone having troubles running all Dark Engine games since the new NVIDIA drivers or DirectX revisions inherent in loading Bioshock? I get a "your video hardware is not supported error," and it makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by DieOfGoodLuck View Post
    Hello there,

thanks to the wonderful FAQ in this topic, I was able to circumvent numerous problems with getting System Shock 2 to even start up. However, I still aren't able to play yet. After following the advice of the FAQ about using a safedisc unwrapper program, I received an alternative System Shock 2 exe named "testme", which actually worked whereas the original exe only instantly crashed the game regardless of compatibility setting.

I now have access to the game menu, I can see the intro cutscene just fine and everything appears to run perfectly, however once the "accessing" loading screen that follows on the intro cutscene is done, the game crashes and gives the following error message;

ERROR: Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture memory usage. Contact your 3d accelerator vendor for updated drivers.

I'm using a Geforce 7600 GS with 512 mb, and I've double-checked and verified that I am indeed using its most recent drivers. If anyone has any hints or tips that could help me to get this game running, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have that exact same video card and I'm getting that same error. Any help on solving this issue would be great 'cause I just got the game and would love to finally be able to play it.

This problem is explained in the FAQ. Add safe_texture_manager at the bottom of cam.cfg and the error should stop appearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    This problem is explained in the FAQ. Add safe_texture_manager at the bottom of cam.cfg and the error should stop appearing.
    Well I did that and while the game no longer crashes to windows and shows a "D3D error" dialog box, it now just freezes with a black screen once it's done loading.

And yes I have a core 2 duo CPU, but but I tried this fix
    http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

And after all that work it only made the game crash with a system error.

Gah, why must dark engine games be the best to play, but so hard to get running?

You tried all compatibility modes? Win2000 or NT 4.0 are often successful.

And remember also to try no compatibility modes. Sometimes that works the best (I never had to use any, anyway, and the time I tried them, they just made the game crash.)

Quote Originally Posted by solaris85 View Post
    Well I did that and while the game no longer crashes to windows and shows a "D3D error" dialog box, it now just freezes with a black screen once it's done loading.
    Sometimes when that happens it is because an error window managed to open "behind" the game. If that happened, it should have focus when the game "freezes". If you can press ENTER, it might press the [OK] button on that window and close everything.

Also, in that same situation you can often Alt-Tab to the error window.

If you are lucky and it is this and not really "frozen", then you might be able to get a lead on your next troubleshooting step.

Martek

New Error?

So I believe that I have a brand new issue to bring before the SS2 Forum Gods.

I have the game all installed and running fairly well (i.e. No cutscenes, but the timing is good everything works, sound and voices and what not...), except when I try to go to the Med Sector after I have crammed the newly charged power cell into the manual override. As it starts to load, it get nearly complete, and BAM! Crashes out with the standard
    Code:
    System Shock 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    Not really sure what the deal is actually. I have the game installed from cd, dual core fix installed, running with the -lgntforce option, no-cd crack, running version 2.3, the SHTUP mod and revised version, mod enabled, with the safe_texture_manager added to all the .cfg files, and removed the LGVID.AX file.

I'm at a loss here, it seems that perhaps the file for the next area is corrupted, or possibly I have gotten very lucky and just haven't had it crash randomly. Any ideas?

Edit:
    My system is built with the following:
    Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Hyperthreading Enabled ( Though I fixed that as stated above)
    2GB DDR 400 Mem
    Radeon 9800 All-in-Wonder
    ABit VT7 2.0 Mobo
    Other various unused junk...
    Last edited by SirusEasyE; 29th Aug 2007 at 19:14.

I'm guessing the level file is corrupted. Go to your CD and copy the file medsci2.mis from D:\shock, to your SS2 install folder. (by default C:\Games\Sshock2)

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    And remember also to try no compatibility modes. Sometimes that works the best (I never had to use any, anyway, and the time I tried them, they just made the game crash.)
    Ah bingo! Apparently I had left the .exe file on windows98 compatability mode without realizing it. Once I disabled it everything (so far) has worked fine. yay!

I should also note that I had to rename LGVID to "copy of LGVID" to get the game to work, now however my cutscenes don't work.
    Last edited by solaris85; 30th Aug 2007 at 00:01.

Quote Originally Posted by solaris85 View Post
    I should also note that I had to rename LGVID to "copy of LGVID" to get the game to work, now however my cutscenes don't work.
    Do you have ffdshow installed? You can verify if ffdshow is involved if you go to the cutscene folder and double-click one of the avi files. This should manually play a cutscene. If you have ffdshow installed and it's set to work with those avi files, you should see a 'FF' apear in the system tray in the lower right of your desktop while the cutscene is playing. (make sure you don't play the clip in full screen mode or you won't be able to see your system tray).

If you do use ffdshow, to fix it run the ffdshow Video Decoder Configuration, select 'Info & Debug' from the options on the left, and then in the Debug section of the menu place a check in the box for 'Don't use ffdshow in:'. Then add 'SHOCK2.EXE;' to the list by typing in the field provided. a semicolon should separate program names if you have more than one in that list.
    example: 'Oblivion.exe;explorer.exe;shock2.exe;'

Regards,

Lardzor
    -----
    Old wizards never die.
    (but young ones sure do)

Umm, hi, I'm new to this forum and didn't want to post an introduction or whatever if this forum has a place to post those, but I need help with an odd bug in system shock2, whenever I start a new game, choose whether to be in the marines, navy or osa, or I choose where to spend my first three years, if I'm holding down a key while I make the transition to the next area or move the mouse or give the game any input whatsoever the game crashes and that stupid thing that wants you to send microsoft an error report comes up. I know that's what causes the bug because I actually did a little experiment to find out. Anyways, so whenever I make a new game I have to keep tapping the forward key really quickly until I finally transition into the next area. I was wondering if someone could help me with this. By the way, I got the game from home of the underdogs.

I don't know what kind of info about my system will help with this problem so I just stored the whole dxdiag report at http://cl1p.net/Kyzsysinfo/ .

I need some help with this so if you can help me out with this then thanks a bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzand View Post
    I got the game from home of the underdogs.
    Get the game legally, that will fix your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miaow View Post
    System Shock 2 loads to the main menu and then when I try to start a new game, it goes to the difficulty and options menu, I proceed from that and then the whole game closes and it comes up with a window asking me if I want to email Microsoft about the problem.
    Im having this exact problem. Ive read through as much of this thread as i can stand (some 25+ odd pages) and i havent found anything that solved it.

Ive turned HT off, dont have dualcore. Patched, safe_texture thing, all that stuff.

Still not getting anything. And i have reinstalled it.

I have a
    P4 3.0ghz 3E
    1gb (512x2) ram
    320gb HDD
    Geforce FX 5500 OC (i know its crap, but it should run this...or get a Nvid4 infinite loop BSOD like it gets with Halo)

Tried deleting the file lgvid.ax?
    (it is located in the main SS2 folder)

When I try to install the patch it says that I need to insert the next disk... I don't know what that means at all.

When I just push cancel on the insert next disk box, it says Invalid Patch File.

Try redownload the patch in case it is corrupted.
    By the way, do you have a CD version or Underdogs version of the game?

Yes, i deleted lgvid.ax.

No dice... any other suggestions?

Do you see a folder named 'current' in the SS2 folder?
    Are you using compatibility mode?
    If so, then which one?

Yes there is a current folder, but it looks empty.

As for compatibility, i tried them all but none worked so its disabled right now.

Sound

Hi,

Okay i worked myself through those 53 pages and there actually were some people that have the same problem as i do but nothing helped me so far.

Theres no sound in the Menu and no sound Ingame. The only moment i hear anything is the cutscene at the beginning. Nothing else.

i use a Notebook with an integrated AC97 soundcard.

Everything else seems to work, no glitches or crashes.

I went through the the cam file and tried the advices you gave already (like switching sfx_device and playin around with the volume).
    the snd crf are both present
    I cant swith to hardware acceleration even though its highlighted but i dont think that this is the cause. Eax is not highlighted.
    I tried to install the a3ddrivers but that did not help at all.

Page 53 of 73 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384348495051525354555657586368 ... LastLast