TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 54 of 73 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394449505152535455565758596469 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1818

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

Ugh, the intrusive popup at that site is very annoying. Not to mention, it's the type that is frequently used by sites that plant spyware (it's a popup not easily closed without using the buttons it provides). I closed it via taskmanager and will otherwise avoid the download for now.

installation error, no movies

I have a problem. I can't install the game even with -lgntforce. It just loads up the installation screen to 99%, then disappears. I'm using Windows XP. I also cannot install the iv5play downloaded from websites. They get stuck at checking for netscape versions. Using the iv5play on the disc can get me past the check but it will tell me that newer versions are installed. When I played the game(through copying all the files into a folder rather than installing the game), it can load, but the movies won't play. I have tried to prevent the ffd codec from playing the movies(the icon doesn't appear on my taskbar when I play them on my WMP). I have also tried the registering the .ax file. But so far, I still cannot play the movies in game.

Did you create an install.cfg file after you installed the game manually? Without that file you ain't gonna get the game to run at all.

oh thanks. found the install.cfg and it solved the problem. However, I hope to fix the ligos installer and ss2 installer someday(i can play the videos in game though).

iXDave, when i click on the link and fill in the security code, it says the file is bad or has been removed .

For everyone who has had a problem with cutscenes even after reading the FAQ

First of all, I've only read the first 30 or so pages of this thread so I apologize if this has come up, but I figured out something that works that I haven't seen a problem with anyone else.

I run a fully updated XP Pro and I did a full install of the game off the CD, and cutscenes wouldn't play, even after downloading the codec and registering it (look at the original post for info to do that). There's no "install.cfg" file that everyone keeps talking about... must be my version or something.

However, to play movies I simply opened up "shock.cfg" and "cam.cfg" and added "movie_path C:\games\sshock2\cutscenes". This was mentioned several times as part of the install.cfg file (which I don't have) in the thread here, but because there was nothing in there specifying a movie path, I figured I might as well try. And lo and behold, after hours of pain, it works.

I'm surprised you don't have a install.cfg after installing the game with setup.exe. You only have to add the movie_path line into one file, by the way.

I definitely don't. No clue why. It's a legal version of the game I've had for ages.

Anyway, after starting it, I realized that voices weren't playing either. So I went back and found the other stuff you guys mentioned:

cd_path C:\games\sshock2
    install_path C:\games\sshock2
    language english
    resname_base .+.\RES
    load_path C:\games\sshock2
    script_module_path C:\games\sshock2
    movie_path C:\games\sshock2\cutscenes

Most likely overkill (not sure which one of those directs to the voices) but I stuck the whole thing back in both cfg files, and now everything seems to run perfectly.

I guess I do only need to put that in one of them, but can't hurt to be extra safe.

After looking through much of the FAQ and searching several SS2-oriented sites - I seem to have found a graphical glitch no one else has. I am using a patched 2.3 version of the game, and it loads and runs without crashing (mp works fine too ), and videos and sound all work correctly.

First, my system specs:

Windows XP, SP2
    ASUS A8N-E AMD nForce4 Deluxe Motherboard
    AMD Athlon64 3800+, 2.4GHz
    2GB Ram
    ATi Radeon X850XT 256MB (running latest drivers)

However, the game's lighting effects seem to be totally screwed - it's hard to explain, so here's some screenies:
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u.../dangss2_3.jpg
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u.../dangss2_2.jpg
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...hn/dangss2.jpg

As I've said, everything else works fine - but this really does spoil the atmosphere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here we go again!

Played Bioshock for awhile and decided to give SS2 a shot again. I've had so many problems in the past getting it to run, that last time I played decided to just keep it on my hard drive.

Anyways after installing, I installed SHTUP and loaded up the game. No problems other than when first starting the game, unusually long load times and occasional hiccups when "using" something. (BTW Zylon, nice work on the textures). Still in Med Sci but have gotten a fair way into the game.

Now however, after going to play this morning, got the "SS2exe. has encountered a problem and needs to close". Tried to go into ss2cfg file to add the line but can't even find that. I have no clue what to do, but it really sucks because I'm trying OSA for the first time and was really getting into it.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried a no CD crack? The error might be related to SafeDisc.

Thanks for the reply but I think I figured it out. It's got something to do with the sound. I use surround sound headphones which has it's own drivers and I was trying to play this morning without the phones on. Once I disabled EAX, in the sound options, I was able to get it running thank God.

Sounds like it was the reason. I had no idea headphones had their own drivers, I thought the soundcard ones handled everything.

Hi, i've got this problem where when i try to drag something in my inventory, well it just doesn't do anything. so i'm basically stuck at the start of the game with the battery. could use some help with this

Here we go again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    http://www.strangebedfellows.de/inde...opic,78.0.html
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ight=user2.bnd
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...ight=user2.bnd

Basically, reload a configuration file, or open the file User2.bnd in a proper text editor (Windows Notepad will not cut it here since it will break all the line breaks) and find the line:

Code:
    bind mouse1 [something]
    and change it to:

Code:
    bind mouse1 +drag_and_drop_mode

Hi, when i finish the training lvl and need to choose the class
    the cutscene is fine, but when it tries to load it just wont do it.
    error msg is like this ERROR: buff len 80 exceeded by 80: station.dif,
    what should i do?

Game is installed to too long a path. Reinstall to a short path (For example: "C:\Games\System Shock 2" instead of "C:\Document and Settings\My Very Long User Name\My Very Long User Name's Documents\My Games I Like To Play Fairly Often\Irrational Games\System Shock 2")

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Game is installed to too long a path. Reinstall to a short path (For example: "C:\Games\System Shock 2" instead of "C:\Document and Settings\My Very Long User Name\My Very Long User Name's Documents\My Games I Like To Play Fairly Often\Irrational Games\System Shock 2")
    YESS!! Thank you so much!!

Into what folder did you install the game, out of curiosity?

Trouble running System Shock 2 on Windows XP

I've installed new patch and crack.When I click on New Game in the game menu,the game loads and my screen goes black.It reports to me:'Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture memory usage.Contact your 3d accelerator vendor for updated drivers.'
    What should I do?

My computer is:
    Core 2 Duo e6300-1.86Ghz
    1GB DDR2 memory
    7600GT 256MB
    250GB HDD

I'm having the exact same problem, Dark Mike. My system is similar - AMD dual core, and a 7950 though. What Forceware drivers are you using? I'm using 163 betas.

Follow the advice that has been mentioned in the FAQ and ten billion times before; add safe_texture_manager at the bottom of cam.cfg.

Drive will no longer read this ss2 2.3 ver disc

This is my original SS2 cd and have played it on prior machines and various OS's in the past. I have had alot of problems this time around on my current computer: amd fx60, 7950, 163.44 drivers,SB x-fi, 2gigs, Sony dvd-rom, LG dvd-ram. I read/skimmed all 54 pages here and had to incorporate almost all the fixes to get SS2 running right. Playing the first level with rebith and shtup beta 6 applied - all is good! Thanks for all the help. However, now my rom will not read my disk! Try to start game - says please insert disc, disc was already in. Pull disc out ,reload, drive spins, stops -nothing. Can't explore it , open it nothing. Yes, if I put in Bioshock or any other disc it reads it fine. Yes if i put SS2 cd into ram drive it will read and want to do an install. Anyone see this before? Got a fix other than go through the whole re install and tinker routine on my second drive?

All I can suggest is that you try a no CD crack, it would be by far the easiest solution. I'm not gonna tell you where you can find one though, that'll be your job.

But if you want to go the legal route; I suggest trying to install the game on another computer and see if the CD drive there reads the disc. If the test is successful, then either your SS2 CD is pretty scratchy/dirty, or the SafeDisc copy protection is causing troubles. In either case a no CD patch is the best fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    Follow the advice that has been mentioned in the FAQ and ten billion times before; add safe_texture_manager at the bottom of cam.cfg.
    I've tried ten billion times that way but it doesn't work...

Page 54 of 73 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394449505152535455565758596469 ... LastLast