TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 55 of 73 FirstFirst ... 5101520253035404550515253545556575859606570 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1818

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

Quote Originally Posted by murpes View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem, Dark Mike. My system is similar - AMD dual core, and a 7950 though. What Forceware drivers are you using? I'm using 163 betas.

Me too, 163.44_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_beta--- requered to run Bioshock.

Are you sure it is required? Not just recommended? SS2 runs fine for me and I'm using 162.18, by the way.

Well, I know this problem has come up before, but when I tyr to install from disc, I get the message Win 16 subsysten has run out of resources etc. Is there any way to bypass this? I have tried all the methods detailed above, none seem to work. I am unwilling to install Windows 98. I have heard copying game files directly from the disc may work, but how exactly do i go about this?

To install manually, just create a folder in C:\Games called Sshock2. Then open your disc drive (often D:\), open the folder called shock, and copy the contents there into C:\Games\Sshock2. After that you will need an install.cfg, I think install.cfg's have been posted in this thread more than once so just use the search function to find it.

Well I had most of the problems some of you had getting SS2 to work in XP but finally got it going a few hours ago.
    I have an overclocked e6600 @3.3GHz, OC'ed 8800 GTX, XFi Extream Music sound card and a fully updated Win XP w/SP2. System shock 2 runs beautifully
    @ 1600x1200 resolution with SHTUP and Rebirth mods. Got alot of good info and files at http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php.

Installed SS2 with the x:\setup -lgntforce to C:\Sshock2.
    Ran SS2Toolv2.3 from above web site..selected all options except for the mods.
    Ran SS2 Mod Manager from above site.
    Installed SHTUP.beta6 and Rebirth mods...mod Manager makes everything for you automatically.

The graphics are terrific; a lot better then I remember when I played SS2 when it first came out (the cutsceans are still low res).

Between the SS2Tools and SS2 Mod Manager all necessary files needed are installed in the correct places including the proper "install.cfg" and "safe_texture_manager " .
    Anyway, it solved my black screen problem and before that the something "odinal in kernal32" error message.

Hope this helps.

You don't see 8-bit dithering?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    You don't see 8-bit dithering?
    Nope

As far as I know it is a side-effect of the 8000 series + the later drivers. Just look at the big thread about it somewhere near the top of the thread list.

As far as I know it is a side-effect of the 8000 series + the later drivers. Just look at the big thread about it somewhere near the top of the thread list.
    I have no problems with my 8800GTX OC card playing SS2 or Bioshock or Lost Planet or any games in XP or Vista

Well, I'd be surprised if newer games like Bioshock or Lost Planet had 8-bit problems.

Sucks to be me...

Evening, gentlemen. You might remember me (NOT!) from a few months ago, when you helped me to get SS2 to work. The thing is, I couldn't get past the training level until recently, because I had other games in my "to play" queue, and I had to leave my home (and computer) for a few months for academic reasons as well as a summer job in a newspaper. The thing is, I just got back, tried SS2 again, got to the part where you choose your career path...

And lo and behold, black screen! No message telling me what the Hell is wrong, and no idea why it's happening. I've tried the fixed EXE for graphic problems, writing safe_texture_manager at the bottom of cam.cfg and user.cfg, changing compatibility from Windows NT to the other versions... I've read the first page of the thread and I can't figure out what else can I do. Any ideas?

(On the bright side, I got the first System Shock to work. I bet that'll tide me over until I either get SS2 to work or play Bioshock )

Two questions I can think of.
    1. Do you see a folder named 'current' in the main SS2 folder?
    2. In what location did you install the game?

Two questions I can think of.
    1. Do you see a folder named 'current' in the main SS2 folder?
    2. In what location did you install the game?
    1. The folder is there. It's empty, but it's there.
    2. C:\Sshock2

Crap, that eliminates both theories I had.
    If you haven't tried already, disable the cutscenes by renaming lgvid.ax to something else, and then try choose a career in-game.

Radcliffe,
    See my post of Sept 26 and try those recommendations..worked for me.

Bill Clinton to Radcliffe: "It's the cutscenes, stupid!"

Renaming LGVID.AX to something else worked. Gonna also try Javelin's recommendations, because it sucks to have a cutscene-less game.

EDIT: Tried Javelin's solution, and apart from not being able to install the mods with ModManager, because my comp, for No Apparent Reason (tm), doesn't allow me to change the format of an archive from zip to ss2mod, everything worked fine. For now, another crisis has been averted. Thank you, Bjossi and Javelin; I hope I don't have to bother you with my noobish antics again.

I'll find something else to bother you with instead ;P
    Last edited by Radcliffe; 11th Oct 2007 at 05:55. Reason: Tried Javelin's solution just after posting. It worked.

Does your OS show file extensions at all? You should see .zip,.exe or other string at the end of filename.

If you can't see file extensions, then you need to do this first : How to disable Hide file extension for known file types - feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Radcliffe View Post
    because it sucks to have a cutscene-less game.
    There are hardly any important cutscenes in the game, just the intro and outro.

Quote Originally Posted by Radcliffe View Post
    Renaming LGVID.AX to something else worked. Gonna also try Javelin's recommendations, because it sucks to have a cutscene-less game.

EDIT: Tried Javelin's solution, and apart from not being able to install the mods with ModManager, because my comp, for No Apparent Reason (tm), doesn't allow me to change the format of an archive from zip to ss2mod, everything worked fine. For now, another crisis has been averted. Thank you, Bjossi and Javelin; I hope I don't have to bother you with my noobish antics again.

I'll find something else to bother you with instead ;P
    If your OS is WinXP, in order to change the file extension just right click on the file name and select "Rename".Click on the end of the file after.zip and backspace to delete "zip" and type in ss2mod.

I could never live without visible file extension. It would be...wrong.

I could never live without visible file extension. It would be...wrong.
    Me too :-)

Sup all,
    I've played SS2 since it came out, pretty much...on and off...never multiplayer. And ive been struggling to find a game to interest me recently and then i watched a reveiw about Bioshock: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ation-BioShock
    ^^^ has some adult language...not sure how strict these forums are as far as language and all that.

Anyways, instead of that hilarious reveiw convincing me to go out and buy Bioshock, it actually got me to dust off my SS2 CD and throw it in...and right as i start a new game, it come up with a good ol' error:

Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture memory usage. Contact your 3d accelerator vendor for updated drivers.

Now, with my specs (AMD Athlon 64 Proccessor 3800+, 2.41 GHz, 2 Gigs of Ram, and a GeForce 6800 with updated drivers) i thought this 3d accelerator error was quite laughable...but since it refused to let me play, i devoted the next few hours to searching the internetz for a fix. I dl'ed the latest patch, the xp fix, and went ahead and got the mod manager with two mods (SHTUP 6 and Rebirth 1...an extraudinary improvement i might add). The amazing thing was, it still crashed at this error...each and every time. So, i continue my search and stumble accross these forums, and just by seemingly pure luck find in the FAQ:

Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage, or Help! I only get a black screen!
    Open the file cam.cfg from the Shock2 install directory using Notepad and add the line safe_texture_manager to the bottom of it.
    I jsut insert that lil line in the specified folder and everything works fine. No error message, game looks amazing, and i just finished a playin sprre for about 6 hours straight...got to the recreational deck...yay *passes out*

Anyways, just wanted to share my success story and give a big 'thank you' to whoever for having all this available.

It's always fun when you get something to work that you've been eagerly wanting to play.

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL Shenanigans View Post
    ..and right as i start a new game, it come up with a good ol' error:

Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture memory usage. Contact your 3d accelerator vendor for updated drivers.

Now, with my specs (AMD Athlon 64 Proccessor 3800+, 2.41 GHz, 2 Gigs of Ram, and a GeForce 6800 with updated drivers) i thought this 3d accelerator error was quite laughable...but since it refused to let me play, i devoted the next few hours to searching the internetz for a fix. I dl'ed the latest patch, the xp fix, and went ahead and got the mod manager with two mods (SHTUP 6 and Rebirth 1...an extraudinary improvement i might add). The amazing thing was, it still crashed at this error...each and every time. So, i continue my search and stumble accross these forums, and just by seemingly pure luck find in the FAQ:

I jsut insert that lil line in the specified folder and everything works fine. No error message, game looks amazing, and i just finished a playin sprre for about 6 hours straight...got to the recreational deck...yay *passes out*

Anyways, just wanted to share my success story and give a big 'thank you' to whoever for having all this available.

If you follower my suggestion in the 26 Sept post and installed Kolas Tool 2.3
    this line would be installed automatically among other fixes..see:

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,392

...Ok, thanks i guess...though after 2 fixes/patches and 2 mods, i would think everything would be good to go...when it wasnt, i gave up and went to these forums to post my problem, which is when i stumbled across the FAQ.

Just kinda random, but there really needs to be a bundle where you get absolutley everything you would want to have the most engoyable SS2 experience so that other fellows like me can spend less than 3 hours exploring the int-tur-netz tryin to find a simple fix...which the tool (listed above) sounds like a good start...now include the two mods i used and make it popular enough so that i would find it first (instead of never... :/) and your good to go!

Page 55 of 73 FirstFirst ... 5101520253035404550515253545556575859606570 ... LastLast