TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 232833384348535863686970717273
Results 1,801 to 1,818 of 1818

Thread: How To Run System Shock 2 on Windows XP/2000

no problem,I actually really like (troubleshooting) odd hardware.too bad it did not work out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    no problem,I actually really like (troubleshooting) odd hardware.too bad it did not work out in the end.
    I just find it quite stupid actually that this card does support D3D and OpenGL, but due to poorly written drivers, that it doesnt work. Shame i dont know anyone who can write drivers for such a device as this.

The fact that i cant even find that 'SoftwareOnly' registry key has be baffled also.

But, like you say, even if i had managed to tweak it to run properly, it wouldnt have worked correctly. (If at all! )

Hi again guys,

Just a quick question...

My friend wants to run SS2 on his old system (Windows 98)

But DXDiag reports only 2MB Video memory, is that possible, or is it incorrect?

Just wanted to know, because if it is possible im just gonna tell him to give up.

Administrator
    It's possible - but I've not seen one with that little in many years. What graphics card does dxdiag report? It should be on the display tab in the device section.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    It's possible - but I've not seen one with that little in many years. What graphics card does dxdiag report? It should be on the display tab in the device section.
    Its an odd one, my friends laptop reports this:

Trident 9685/9680/9682/9385/9382/9385-1 PCI

I didnt even know windows could run on such low video memory to be honest.

He says Direct3D is availible also.

Administrator
    Windows was fine with that amount of video memory, particularly if it's running in 256 colour mode. That's a very old graphics card chipset and I don't think it has any hardware 3D acceleration. So, it's probably time to give up with that card at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_B View Post
    Windows was fine with that amount of video memory, particularly if it's running in 256 colour mode. That's a very old graphics card chipset and I don't think it has any hardware 3D acceleration. So, it's probably time to give up with that card at least.
    Yeah i did tell my friend not to expect good news, thanks anyway for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ss2 readme
    System Shock (tm) 2 requires a 4M 3D card. The game is not supported for use with 2M 3D cards. In some cases, System Shock (tm) 2 will still run on a machine with such a card, but in our experience, the game will crash frequently and the graphics will look terrible.
    basically,that means you must have an ati rage/nvidia riva128/3dfx voodoo1 (or better) card to run (unmodified) ss2 properly.anything worse than that will be either glitchy,unstable,or too slow.and do not forget about the cpu as well-anything below a celeron350MHz will probably result in unplayably slow performance.

user.config

there is no user.config file in my game directory anywhere. Can I just copy another cfg like the shock.cfg, wipe clean and ad text saying;

gun_degrade_rate 0

and drop it into the directory and the game will utilize the feature?

If so, is there any special heading text I need to add ( or leave on the page) to the page etc.?

for instance my header in the shock.cfg file says;

; $Header: r:/prj/cam/src/RCS/shock.cfg 1.45 1999/06/25 16:24:49 mahk Exp $

default_gamesys shock2.gam

thx!

Theoretically, I suppose you could, as long as you rename the new file to user.cfg and make sure it's completely empty of everything that was in shock.cfg.
    Or you could just open Notepad, type the command in, and save it as user.cfg (making sure to change Save As Type in the Save As dialog box from *.txt to *.*)

Quote Originally Posted by Enchantermon View Post
    Theoretically, I suppose you could, as long as you rename the new file to user.cfg and make sure it's completely empty of everything that was in shock.cfg.
    Or you could just open Notepad, type the command in, and save it as user.cfg (making sure to change Save As Type in the Save As dialog box from *.txt to *.*)
    excellent, I made my own and saved as you instructed, that worked ,its a cfg file.

I dropped in gun_degrade_rate 0 exactly, last q- is there a carriage return or marker/symbol/text I need to add? or is that is, just the naked command?

and thx, much obliged for your response

You could also just use cam.cfg

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    I dropped in gun_degrade_rate 0 exactly, last q- is there a carriage return or marker/symbol/text I need to add? or is that is, just the naked command?
    That's it; no other text or special characters are needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    You could also just use cam.cfg
    That line works in cam.cfg too?

Yes. Everything you could put into a user.cfg file works in cam.cfg.

Ah. Cool; didn't know that.

Hey guys. I just found my copy of system shock 2. In an old box. I was just wondering how I could get it to run on my pc. When I play the game just simply freeze at random spots and the audio starts repeating itself. "Get a way from the window its about Get a way from the window its about"

I really want to play this game.

I am running XP Pro Service Pack 3 Intel P4 CPU 3.00GHZ ati graphics

any other questions please ask

Please just let this horrible thread die.
    Seriously, the first post is so incredibly offensive that it puts all of TTLG in a bad light. There's a reason I got the admins to un-sticky it. Just. Let. It. Die.

To answer your question, read the SS2 Technical FAQ.

I couldn't do it before, because the thread was also in the legacy gaming forum, but now I see I can close this thread. So it's done, and it can now die peacefully.

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 232833384348535863686970717273