TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: "Saving Private Rye Anne" no kill objective

"Saving Private Rye Anne" no kill objective

I just started this one and, like I do alot of times, I tested the "no kill" objective by killing a guard at the very start and the mission continued. I looked at my objectives and the "no kill" one was checked off! Now I can kill everybody!

You know, it's funny, but even though I ghost every mission I play, I sometimes do that, too, at the start, just to see what's what. And I did that on this mission, and yes, it let me go on. But it never allowed me to actually finish the mission; I mean, I completed all the objectives, made the correct trips, etc. I am sure I didn't miss anything, so all I could conclude was that somehow that one murder set off a bug that disabled the "mission complete" script (I am no dromeditor, so that may not be correct parlance). So did that happen to you? Were you able to finish it? Maybe I did miss something.

I'm still playing it. I came across a video problem in one room where there's a fancy fountain in the center. I get multiple images and the computer locks up. I'm gonna try to enter the room walking backwards and hopefully I can continue past this problem area.

Edit: Looks like I can negotiate this fountain room if I don't look up too high when facing the fountain, otherwise my computer instantly locks up.
    Last edited by nchw68; 23rd Jul 2003 at 05:50.

Okay, the mission wouldn't end for me, so I played it again without killing anyone and it STILL won't end. The only objective that checks off properly is the loot. The garden objective checks off, but if you leave the garden, the check goes away. I found out Rye Anne's location but it didn't check off. Because of these bugs, the last objective to exit through the front doors to end the mission didn't work either.

Did we inadvertently discover a pretty serious bug in the FM? My computer never locked up, but as I said, it won't complete even with the mission finished. Does the author know? I can't find any posts about this problem... but my inability to do a good search doesn't necessarily mean in ain't out there.

I never did "complete" the mission; i.e. no "Mission Complete" screen. I may be missing something in-game, but I don't think so. Not this time anyway.

Obviously, very few people on these forums have played this one or maybe they don't remember it since there is very little info about it here. But now there's a little more. My guess is that this FM won't work properly for most, if not all, others who try it.

I've played it once, quite awhile ago and I finally quit before finishing it, because I had several crashes. It just didn't seem worth messing my computer up for.

Nightwalker,

Was it crashing where mine was, looking at the fountain?

Yes, the fountain room bug... Just don't look at the fountain or look up, as you've found out. It's either something to do with HOM or complexity issues, whatever, who cares? In short, the kind of bug for which the author would be burned at the stake in other FPS communities, unless he fixed it. Rule #19: have your maps beta-tested and FIX the bugs before release. But luckily for him, we're all taking Prozac by the handful.
    The Foxhole
    "...so she went to the Sorbonne. You know, in France?"
    "Oh. For a minute there, I thought you meant the one in Utah."

Yes, that was the spot. I read the posts about not looking at certain spots but that didn't seem to work for me. Any attempt to enter that room did my computer in, so I explored the rest of the level as best I could, had several other crashes and just gave up.

I'm playing the updated version (I think by Komag) from thiefmissions.com on Expert. The objective "Escape to the garden" checks off correctly but unchecks if I "Exit through the front door" which then in turn doesn't check off. Since several other people besides me have reported this since the mission's release, it is most likely a bug. I consider myself finished.
    Last edited by <Username>; 13th Jan 2008 at 14:31.

Wow, that mission is almost 10 years old!

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Here's a fixed version for this old basic mission
    -fixed the goals in hard+expert difficulty except the "garden" objective. Go there or don't
    -fixed some loot
    -fixed a very bad room brush (there are some more bad brushes, but I don't mind)

http://www117.zippyshare.com/v/dF3clLn4/file.html