TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief Noir

Thief Noir

What a great little mission Way to go Gumdrop!
    The black and white was so cool, I wouldn't of expected it to work. I really like these small missions that I can finish when I have a little spare time. I don't always feel like getting my self into an epic that will take days to finish.
    I loved the music that played while reading a letter, where is it from if you don't mind my asking?
    It was funny, but kind of strange seeing a poster for Chinatown in this B&W mission.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I thought this was the best mission in C4. As for the music, I have no idea, I'm sure Gummy wil be along shortly... try his Tomb Raider-inspired "The Cistern"! A great little short mission.

Thank you Lobster, I'm, glad you liked it.

All the music (including the custom ambients) were taken from the Chinatown (which just happens to be a great noir film and a personal favorite) soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith, so you see, the poster was there for a reason. The actual music used as the background for the readables is the begining of I can't get started by Bunny Berigan & His Orchestra.

And just to add another piece of Thief Noir trivia: To begin with, my C4 entry was set in the little gin joint from the film Harvey. If anyone is familiar with the film, the plot of the mission was going to be to seek out an invisible "Pooka" rabbit, blackjack him, and drag his fluffy carcass back outside, all the time staying hidden from a bunch of Hammer's that were also searching for the mythical bunny! Unfortunately, test runs proved sketchy at best.

Probably more information than you really wanted, but what the hell!

Too bad that didn't work out, Gumdrop. I love Harvey!

You've got to be joking... Harvey is one of my favorite films off all time! That would have been something to pull it off. So, was Garrett going to be able to see the Pooka and not the hammers?

OMG!

Well doesn't this turn things upside down!

Ok...I just happen to be browsing back and forth while I wait for someone (who will remain nameless) to finish eating a chiken, so I'll bite!

Like I said, the plot didn't really work out, but apart from that I also had my reservations about just how much of the community would actually get it in the first place. Most people my age don't bother with old films, but I love 'em!

The Pooka was going to be invisible...well almost. The dark lighting and b&w setting would also add to the difficulty. Elwood was going to be in there somewhere...maybe you needed an item from him to be able to see the wabbit. A new skin would turn the Hammer's into employees of the "nuthouse" sent down to grab the latest crazy (you), and...

You know the more I think about it, the more it might work! Probably the lack of sleep though.

Oh well. Nice to know there are some Pooka fans out there though.

Hey now! I am not chicken!

Gummsie, that is a FANtastic idea. That movie would be so original for a FM. Man what a hoot! Twist his arm people, come on! Twist his arm! You can do it Gummsie! You could be starting something new here. Hhhmmm.

don't blame me for your lack of sleep...heh
    Last edited by BrokenArts; 30th Jul 2003 at 01:40.

I think incorporating Harvey into a FM is a clever idea, gumdrop!

Well, there ya go, Gummy... you already have four people lined up to play it!

Make that five people. I haven't seen the film myself, but this story sounds like an FM I'd just have to play.
    Morrgan's Dark Projects: my FMs and FM reviews - 10.03.2008: All for a Night's Sleep updated to v1.1

Hey, it's me again. The taffer who wouldn't shut up about his conspiracy involving Purah secretly being behind Thief Noir, which should've won hands down . Of course, every once in a while someone gets bribed, and well, you know how it goes....... Just kidding, but honestly, this gem of a mission made 98% of the others look like 'child's play'. It's so sophisticated . It'll quick become a 'cult fan mission', much like Lord Edmund Entertains!, The Order of The Vine, or Gathering At The Bar! Let me just say cheers again for making the greatest submission (next to Old Comrades, Old Debts) in a contest ever! You captured the film noir atmosphere perfectly. Everything was just so perfect. I guess the lesson is taffers spend much more time adding touches when they have space constraints on them. But damn, make a full-sized FM of like atmosphere/story pweeze?

Please, have my children, gum! Oh wait, that's a bit too far........perhaps .

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

Gummsie, come on man, you are hearing the masses, come out of retirement man. I ain't touching dromed! No way man! Ohhh please Gummsie.

One requirement, (if this wabbit pops his head out the hole) is to watch the movie *Harvey* to get the full appreciation of this wonderful movie, so you can fully play the FM. *AHEM*

one objective will be taken from the movie itself

Last night, I had a dream. I dreamt I was carrying around a large rabbit in my arms, while I was looking for a pillow for him. Could this be a sign?

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I blame the heat. Finns were not designed to be in over 30 degrees C for more than half an hour at a time. Per year.

Then when I found a pillow the rabbit turned into a man, and I got angry because he could no longer fit onto the pillow and was too heavy to carry around. But I guess that's not really relevant.

Originally posted by deadman
    Hey, it's me again. The taffer who wouldn't shut up about his conspiracy involving Purah secretly being behind Thief Noir...
    Haha...I had a good giggle at your shenanigans at the time of the C4 releases, and you were right, it was a huge slap on the back to have my diddy work compared to Purah's. I'll grant you the gritty textures were similar to those used by Purah (maybe he raided MoH too? ), but there were a number of aspects that marked this FM out as the work of a lazy cad:
    • The mission was never beta tested
    • I even forgot to include the B&W water set
    • Not to mention the book pages!
    • No evidence of scripting knowledge
    • No indepth plot

Thanks for the (too) kind words though, and thanks to you all for showing interest in my...err...dodgy ideas. I did start work on a larger Noir style mission, but like most things, I probably won't finish it. I'd post some screenies but I don't have a website anymore.

Fair taffing.

Try, try, try!

Originally posted by gumdrop
    • The mission was never beta tested
    • I even forgot to include the B&W water set
    • Not to mention the book pages!
    • No evidence of scripting knowledge
    • No indepth plot

• It didn't need beta-testing. It was already flawless .
    • I think we can turn our heads the other way for this one..
    • A pleasurable surprise!
    • We all know Purah only did the architecture and story. Why do you think they were called "Team Calendra"?
    • And yet it was still better than many FMs in these terms. Imagine if you had actually developed it!

I did start work on a larger Noir style mission, but like most things, I probably won't finish it. I'd post some screenies but I don't have a website anymore.
    I can host them! You can probably even ask Jason to put 'em up if you don't trust this taffer [;

Admit it, you're Purah's bastard child!

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

I am 74 short of minimum on loot on Expert level. There are 4 or 5 frobably, unpickable lockers in the office.
    All other objectives complete, any advice on where more loot might be or keys to the other lockers?
    Albert

Nevermind, I found all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abert
    I am 74 short of minimum on loot on Expert level. There are 4 or 5 frobably, unpickable lockers in the office.
    All other objectives complete, any advice on where more loot might be or keys to the other lockers?
    Albert
    where?

Quote Originally Posted by nil8hate
    where?
    Where what?

Replied too quick. Search real close in the lockers. Black and White tends to hide obvious loot that is right in front of you, but blends in with the background.
    Albert

Loot list

A quick and rough loot list:
    spoiler:
    Purse on guard on boat 100 (100)
    1st locker - small key
    2nd locker from left - purse x2 40 (180)
    4th locker from left - purse 100 (280)
    Chest in locked room near locker purse 50 (330)
    Purse in guard shack box 100 (430)
    Office top locker on right - 3 coin stacks 36 (466)
    Bottom middle locker purse 40 (506)
    basement on table gold bottle 50 (556)
    Basement on bottom shelf gold bottles x2 100 (656)
    In water gold nugget 50 (706)

Man, I miss Tim. His missions were special, and it's too bad he never released his large noir mission or the larger Tomb Raider styled missions he was working on. He really was innovative if you look back at his work... first greyscale mission (Thief Noir, of course), first (and only since I shelved mine) TR mission (The Cistern), and first (and I guess still only although I know of one in the works) "race" mission (Run Thief... RUN!).

I really love Gumdrop missions. That attention to detail was simply astounding and Thief Noir is one of my favourite missions ever. It's a real shame indeed that he never finished that larger noir mission.

Ps. Ranstall Keep was the first B&W FM.

Crap, you're right! I love Alex's stuff too, how could I have forgotten?!?