TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Cop in the Shadow 31/07/03

T2 FM: Cop in the Shadow 31/07/03

Excellent mission tnl!

spoiler:
    I completed all objectives but i can't find the mask i suspect it's either in the warehouse or the estate. A clue if you may?

I've finished everything except I'm short 147 in loot.

spoiler:
    The mask is in the estate.

John

I beta-tested this fm before release and it was excellent

Originally posted by Glenn Italiano
    I beta-tested this fm before release and it was excellent
    Ditto

Where's the key to the bathroom?

Where????

Where can I get this mission??? PLEASE!

thiefmissions.com

I just finished but still short some loot. Something kinda left me hanging though.

spoiler:
    After I found the President of the warehouse I felt like what was I supposed to do with him.

I had a little trouble with the stairs in certain areas, but this mission was fun. I like missions where Garrett climbs buildings.

John

one more thing...

I found a

spoiler:
    switch in a hallway ceiling in the estate. I pushed it but did not see anything happen. Was it a dromed stray object?

John

This game is not bad, but I would not rate it excellent. I am still playing it and if it was beta tested, either not all bugs were removed or not all bugs were found.
    One such problem, is the Bar makes Garrett look about 4 feet tall. A couple of rooms you can't hear footsteps when you should be able to. Very narrow stairwells make getting around difficult.
    One or two other issues, but I did not write them down.
    But, those are just my comments.
    Albert

where's basso?! according to my map he's in the house in one of those 2 locked doors?

You need to find a key to get to him.
    spoiler:
    When you leave the Inn, turn to the right and keep going until you find a ladder up against the wall. Climb it to a roof garden, cross that garden, jump down onto the wall around a slightly lower garden and then onto a ledge that runs off to the left. Follow it to the end, jump down into another garden and go through that door. You'll find a key in there. Once you have that key, go back to the end of the garden where you jumped down, get down to the street and head to the right, past the building with the roof that is lower than the ledge you were on. Turn left through an archway and look for a short passageway that ends in a locked door. Basso is in there.

Really enjoyable mission tn. It is quite challenging but I'm pleased I managed to work it out without any clues.
    spoiler:
    The new skins were a great surprise.

I've done everything except find the warehouse guy.
    I can't find a way into the warehouse.

Speed

Nice FM. I like it very much. But I have a question. Garreth seems to be on speed in this mission. Maybe it's my computer. Or is it supposed to be that way?

......... caropr

I had the same problem, Orson, then I realized I was missing something very obvious. Have you
    spoiler:
    noticed a big green warehouse door? On the left side of the street just before that door, there's a recessed gate. Check the left wall and you'll see a small window, which is what I missed seeing for awhile. Inside is a button you hit with a broadhead to open the warehouse door.

Ahh.....I'm an idiot....as well as blind as a bat.

I have to agree with Abert. From reading other people's comments one would think this didn't have anything wrong or need improvement in some areas, but it isn't the case at all. This is the author's first mission, offering some leeway in terms of criticisms, but we should nonetheless let him (her?) know of issues we felt could use some addressing. I personally didn't like the fact that Garrett wasn't at least given a compass at all! I haven't played through the whole mission yet, (maybe he finds one?) but you've got to be taffing me if you say he simply lost his 'internal' sense of direction during this one mission (as I personally view it more as an 'internal' one) . I'm glad a map was provided, and it wasn't bad at all, but with the lack of compass, and no automap (which one can't expect someone to implement in every level, and yet it is still key to successfully finding one's way around city street environs like this), I wasn't having too much fun getting lost. Also, I think it suffers somewhat from the "ambitious but less-detailed" phenomenon, as well as certain buildings being a bit blocky and (seemingly) a bit unrealistic/sloppy in architecture and texture use. Of course, the author attempts to get us to go on the rooftops a few times, and offers a few "off the beaten track" loot and areas to explore, which is a plus. Overall I would say it belongs to the potential-that-is-not-fully-realized category, meaning with more work to add detail and texture with more thought (as well as give Garrett a starting compass ) it would be excellent.

Don't attack me for my comments (again) taffers, just offering constructive criticism; shame on the rest of you for not doing as much (we have to give something back, right?) .

Cheers,

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

I have to agree with Abert. From reading other people's comments one would think this didn't have anything wrong or need improvement in some areas, but it isn't the case at all. This is the author's first mission, offering some leeway in terms of criticisms, but we should nonetheless let him (her?) know of issues we felt could use some addressing. I personally didn't like the fact that Garrett wasn't at least given a compass at all! I haven't played through the whole mission yet, (maybe he finds one?) but you've got to be taffing me if you say he simply lost his 'internal' sense of direction during this one mission (as I personally view it more as an 'internal' one) . I'm glad a map was provided, and it wasn't bad at all, but with the lack of compass, and no automap (which one can't expect someone to implement in every level, and yet it is still key to successfully finding one's way around city street environs like this), I wasn't having too much fun getting lost. Also, I think it suffers somewhat from the "ambitious but less-detailed" phenomenon, as well as certain buildings being a bit blocky and (seemingly) a bit unrealistic/sloppy in architecture and texture use. Of course, the author attempts to get us to go on the rooftops a few times, and offers a few "off the beaten track" loot and areas to explore, which is a plus. Overall I would say it belongs to the potential-that-is-not-fully-realized category, meaning with more work to add detail and texture with more thought (as well as give Garrett a starting compass ) it would be excellent.

Don't attack me for my comments (again) taffers, just offering constructive criticism; shame on the rest of you for not doing as much (we have to give something back, right?) .

And before I forget, the story could use some work. When I read the journal/briefing on Garrett's bed, I asked myself "Huhh??". I had little/no idea why Garrett wanted to do what he set out to do, and didn't find much more information when playing. And what's with Garrett constantly needing to pick up lockpicks? ^_~ They are part of a thief's tools and unless good backstory is given to explain why he lost/doesn't have any with him it just makes the mission objectives feel less real and more "just there" to have something more to do. I was half-tempted to wake up Basso and then blackjack him to shake up his lazy bones, but I'm too nice for that..

Cheers,

deadman.
    "I cannot see anything admirable in stupidity, injustice and sheer incompetence in high places, and there is too much of all three in the present administration." -M.M.Kaye, The Far Pavilions

You have a point Deadman . Well thought out commentary that lets the author know what we like and what we would like to see is the least one can do . I think the key is to put a positive spin on any mission review as to not discourage . After all , these things are free and I'm damn glad to get them .
    I basically agree with your impression of this mission , but with some difference of opinion . The English translations were near impossible to read or understand . While I found most of the building exteriors to be well done , the interiors could use some tweaking - ie. the fireplace with the big ass mantle and some of the doors opening along the streets into a building with only one frobable door inside . I was going to black jack old Basso but couldn't find a suitable set of stairs to heave him off of .
    On the positive side the tech area was the most interesting of any mission I've played so far and the new AI's kick ass . Climbing is a good thing and the more of it in any mission , the more fun is to be had . The game play was also somewhat non linear and Garret had a set point of return to end the mission . There is some real good potential here .

Thank your all mail !!!

All members all mail.

All author happy when anobody write for him. Sorry my english
    poor, something i write rubish. Yes exterior areas not look
    best. I want design fast mission. Means playable slower
    machines, or high framerate with medium machines.
    The polycount not larger than 220 polygon. Another mission
    sometime 500. And i not a very artfull people.

The english booktext translated by a professional translator.
    I typing very fast possible several error, included line missing.

Modifing the mission looks easy, in my mission not!!!

Something haywared in my fm miss file, when i modifying in
    dromed something possible another thing gone bad!!!
    (not every time only sometime)

In aug 2.(Cant able read this forum) make 1.1 version, fix two bug. And additionaly i fix several booktext error.

Sorry deadman, compass still not added.

After any modifying must be testing the level about 4 hours.
    (I tired ) )

In the future possible improving city area.

1.1 version cooming!!(not too different from 1.0 only in booktexts)

I forgot: I am Boy 25 years old, this fm my third published Thief Fm.

1: Hammerites's Brutality 2002 aug5
    2: Ravencourt mansion 2002 nov Startted before H's Brutality
    and suspended. Restart in 2002 okt.
    3: Cop in the shadow start 2003.01.03 Released jul 31

I have never published small missions, included my realy first work.
    Last edited by tnl; 4th Aug 2003 at 12:26.

help

i went to the warehouse cleaned it up, what do i do after?
    i saw an open window up near a ledge but can't climb up there...

where is the estate?

thanks
    i am the passion, i am the warfare
    i will never stop always constant, accurate, intense.

Re: help

Originally posted by sexypat
    i went to the warehouse cleaned it up, what do i do after?
    Heh, I can't even find the warehouse.. Anyone care to help me? I found the estate just fine, but I assumed there would be a warehouse to taff around in as one was detailed on the map (thought I started to think it was labelled 'warehouse' when 'estate' was implied) . Too bad the guards tripped over a body in half-shadow and got alerted. I hate when that happens!

deadman.

Sexypat

For the open window;
    spoiler:
    there are a few open windows about, look for one which has wood above it

For the estate;
    spoiler:
    There is a small dark room in the level, (I forget it's exact whereabouts) take a good look round it

Have fun with the rest of the mission

Deadman, Nightwalker posted the answer I think you need earlier in this thread " Aug 2, 2003 04:04 PM"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast